Farang...Origin And Meaning Of The Word

OldGringo

If all people only used the search function, there would be no more forum, all of the topics here have been done to death.

Right you are, MM! What this place could use is a good shot of fresh and original conversational topics. Dreaded are, the same old queries and punditry which tend to be posed as alternatives, yet fall into homogeny per usual. Perhaps we could acquire a sub-forum {in General Categories} for "Things New, Fresh, and Original" ;)

Hey, I just looked up the origins of the word Farang.

I traced it back to 758 BC, ancient Babylonian or Egyptian, historians are not sure, but it it meant ' Miserable old Bastard '.

I guess some things never change. smile.gif

Ah hah! Good for you! There is a scholarly circle that suggest a more ancient Persian connection as to the etymology of Farang. Naturally, this hasn't been explored, as most will gather material from the same old predictable and tiring sources. Remembering the very influential and mysterious Persians on ancient Siam and it's lost historiography.

......we could even get into the discussion of the origin of the place-name: Siam or Sayam or whatever. Look to that etymology and you'll probably find where "Farang" comes from. Maybe it has no European origins at all.....perhaps a borrow term. Maybe even a Chinese term.Vedic? Persian?

Edited by zzaa09

There must be a serious glitch in the system. Almost every post on page 3 is dated 30 April ---- weird

Siamese spirits in the works.

I blame The Police, that Sting fella, got nothing better to Do Do Do De Da Da Da