Your Preferred Bangkok Hotel

buadhai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GunnyD - Do they have a car park at House by the Pond?

(no mention of one on their webite)

They don't have a formal car park that have seen, but there a couple of spots where I have seen cars of residents parked near, including a covered area. As I don't own a car in BKK I can't give a definitive answer. They are accommodating I recommend you ring them or fire off an e-mail housebythepond[at]yahoo.co.uk Sometimes their "contact us" webpage doesn't work well.

GunnyD

Eugenia is my go to spot nice and quiet, pool, great wine/ cigar selections, free international calling, chauffeur services,wifi throughout the hotel

www.theeugenia.com 5,000 to 8,000

I think that serviced apartment places are often good value compared to regular hotels (certainly at a sort of mid-price level).

I do actually have a small apartment in BKK but as it's often full of Mrs CC's rellies ( :o ) it gives me an excuse to bail out to either

President Park, Suk 24 - studio apartments start at Bt 2.2k per night - fantastic leisure facilities and walking distance to Emporium and the farang pubs and stuff on mid-Suk (if that's your thing)

or

Oakwood Residence, Soi Naradhiwas 24, which is conveniently close to "my" apartment in Yannawa - nicer rooms than Pres Park, and a quiet(ish) residential location, but obviously a taxi job up to the 'bright lights' - from about Bt 2.4k / night last time I looked

CC

Edit: can book either of these online via the Sawasdee website, or else Pres Park have their own website

What is the difference between The President Park and President Solitaire (apart from the later is called an hotel?)

RAZZ

Pres Park is located at the Rama IV end of Suk Soi 24 (10 minutes brisk walk to Emporium) and is the larger complex including 4 condo towers and the Capitol Club leisure facility as well as the serviced apartments. Pres Solitaire (and Grand Pres) are smaller facilities located on the north side of Suk Road (sois 11 and 15 I think). I lived at Pres Park for a couple of years and still stay there occasionally now and personally I think it's great - can't comment on the other two I'm afraid as haven't tried them.

CC

For those of you who reside outside of Bangkok, which hotel do you use when visiting the capitol and why?

I used to stay at the Rembrandt on Suk Soi 18. Great hotel, lovely rooms, excellent value, and a wonderful buffet breakfast.

But, now that I'm a fixed income retired geezer I have to watch my expenditures a little more closely so I've been staying at the Ambassador on Suk Soi 11. It's certainly a lesser hotel than the Rembrandt; the rooms are shabby and the amenities a little thin, but the location can't be beat, the breakfast is very good and the hotel's public areas have become quite nice of late. And, there are a number of fine restaurants very close by.

How about you? Where do you like to stay?

I dont stay in hotels, cos I live here, but I always point friends/family towards The Oriental when they are in town.

President Solitaire

Suk soi 11

always enjoyed staying here

Le Bua at State Tower

Silom

stayed here a couple of time, too pretnetious but the best views of the river and the city

At the Bangkok City Hotel:

http://www.bangkoksuite.com/

Clean, online booking (MS IE only), no middleman or agent. 750THB single with breakfast, WLAN in your room. 200THB from there to Suvarnabhumi with low traffic.

Best Value for your money!

stood there once, but the location is deep in the city with its traffic implications. Rooms are nice indeed, breakfast is ok, but wireless is free for 30 min only!

Just suggested my preferred accomodation in another thread, the rooms are similar to the Bangkok Suite, just not as new.

Nasa Vegas Hotel in Klong Tan. Perfect location. If you come from the motorway into Rama 9, take a left at Klong Tan intersection et voila! Never had a taxi driver who did NOT know the place. I stay there for many years about three times a month and had it only once that they were fully booked.

Next morning head out by taxi to Don Muang via Rama 9, should take no longer than 30 minutes to get there at this time of the day.

Rooms are clean and have a bathroom with bath tub. Rate is 690 Baht a night, check in/out anytime you like.

As for your friend and the "action", it is a 60 Baht taxi ride away via Petchburi Road/Asoke...

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are on a brief stay but need to go to a lot of places, the Asia Hotel (Bangkok) connected to the Ratchathewi station of the Skytrain is a good choice. www.asiahotel.co.th (online rates are 1,650 - 8,100 baht). Plus if you check in for 3 nights and above, you get a free 1 day unlimited pass at the BTS/Skytrain. :o

Real men stay at the Nana! :o

Until recently, I'd have agreed and spent many a time defending the place.

Now, though, I'd sooner sleep rough.

Rude staff.

Insect infested rooms.

Lounge bar full of unhappy staff and drunk, rude, ugly extras from that bar in Star-Wars.

And ripp-off prices cuz they can, cuz if you don't pay'n'stay there'll be someone else along in a minute, who will.

Even the Ra-Jah (Muslim hotel) was better.

Now always try to stay at Majestic Suites.

Reasonable prices.

Clean, clean, clean.

Crap breakfast (but ain't they all? - So no worries there).

Very friendly staff.

Perfect location for BTS, Nana, the African Quarter, Cowboy etc.

Only one drawback.

Can't see out of the tinted windows and can't open them, either.

Small pain for decent gain.

Will also try the other hotel a little further along that is owned by same group now I've learned about it from here.

Got some friends who just stayed at Dynasty (Soi 4) who seem delighted with the location, value etc.

Will get a fuller report off of them and get back to you guys.

Edited by SebD

Last few years we have stayedat asia hotel as mentioned a few posts up but this last trip, cause we had the baby too we booked into the grand diamond pratuman for 5 nights & it was fab, nice staff, great buffet breakfast included, delicious bakery in the lobby & the junior suits were really nice, get a high floor to get great views, we were on 21 & could see all over the river & skyline. Special rates on agoda dot com, we got junior suite for 2,500 per night included brekkie. Inbetween pantip & platinum mall, location was ok but not as good as Asia but when you have small kids it makes not a lot of difference really. :o