Worst Business Idea In Thailand

PoorSucker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Why not try this un-tapped business: recycled toilet paper - you could probably pick up used paper real cheap. Then all you need is to wash and dry it.

Resell it for just a fraction of fresh rolls. Enormous market!

i Have been known to put on a bit of false tan before I go on holiday. But would never get it done once I am on holiday, that's what the sun and beach are there for.

But that shop may have made a bit of money in March when you had the flooding on Samui. They could have had the Westerners queuing up for a tan to show off when they got home!!

I bet you could make a mint with a Moonlight tanning studio for Thais - bask in the moonlight for a whitening tan. :)

(Would go even better in the Philippine)

Any business that opens above those beer bars, just before Walking Street, in Pattaya. Many have tried (go-gos, restaurants, a pharmacy, small shops etc) and all have failed. I think that last business there is a ladyboy focused beer bar.

That second floor is one of the fastest ways to loose money in Pattaya.

TheWalkingMan

I think that last business there is a ladyboy focused beer bar.

I always wondered why so many 'girl' bars post a ladyboy outside the front door. Sure it might help attract a few but does it not chase a larger group away?

Maybe I have my proportions wrong.

It's not that far fetched that there is a market for instant tans in Thailand. Not among many Thais of course as they are usually more interested in whitening. But westerners may want a tan look without risking skin cancer, as anywhere else, yes? I think a fake tan business could work in Thailand. Don't assume they went out of business only because of a lack of demand. More likely the usual reasons, poor capitalization, bad location, etc.

BTW, another plus for a tanning biz in Thailand is that very few would bother to COPY that idea, thinking it's a bad one. Unlike the fish massage joints. In Pattaya, they sprouted massively and now I am noticing most of them are desperate and literally begging for customers.

I'm not sure.

The proverbial noodle shop where 10 others are within eye-shot.:D

I used to wonder about that in Thailand, but it's so common I don't even think about it anymore. Why anyone would start a similar business right next to a business that is ALREADY successful is beyond my comprehension. There is nothing wrong with copying what makes one business successful, but at least move it to a location where you can attract new clients instead of poaching off the clients of the other business. Or, think of something that would be a spin off from a successful business so that both businesses are more successful.

what about a bar with blow up dolls that should go down well[pass me the helleuim]

i bought one of them

i took it back to the shop the following day ,

i told the shop assistant ,

that doll , i bought off you ,

it went down on me after, two minutes ,

they wanted another 500 bht , from me .

:jap:

Any business that opens above those beer bars, just before Walking Street, in Pattaya. Many have tried (go-gos, restaurants, a pharmacy, small shops etc) and all have failed. I think that last business there is a ladyboy focused beer bar.

That second floor is one of the fastest ways to loose money in Pattaya.

TheWalkingMan

Koyo7 ?

I didn't know you were a patron!

Seriously, the worst business idea has to be: Hooters

:annoyed:

Not that anybody really cares but I'll repeat my story about my failed attempt to start a laundry business...for Thais.

My then wife wanted to start a laundry. We found a good area near a university in Bangkok. We knew we had the customers..a lot of the students didn't have the time or the desire to do their own laundry. A place near their school where they could drop off the laundry bundle on their way to school and pick it up on their way home seemed like a good idea. My Thai wife hired three Thai women whose families were now mostly grown, so they had time for a job outside the house for a litle extra spending money. They were good hard workers and had done loads of laundry for their families before. They knew what they were doing.

I put up the cash for 4 washers and 4 dryers, and the laundry was opened.

We had a good amount of customers...mainly female students at the university, but also Thai women who would rather bring the family laundry to be washed rather than do it at home. We didn't charge much, and the service soon became popular. We were making money!

Then the landlord for the building saw that the business was doing well and nearly tripled the rent we had agreed on. Pay up or get out.

We couldn't charge enough to cover the new rent costs. Our customers were mainly university students who just couldn't afford what we would have to charge to cover the overhead...much of it being that now tripled rent.

So we had to close the business down. We lost a profitable business, the 3 Thai women we hired were out of a job, the landlord now had a storefront that nobody wanted to rent, and the university students had to find another place to get their laundry done close to the school. I got a part of my money back by selling the used washers and dryers, but it didn't even cover my original investment in the business.

This all happened at least 20 years ago..closer to 25 years ago now that I think of it.

And that's my story about "Thai business oportunities".

:angry:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

:annoyed:

Not that anybody really cares but I'll repeat my story about my failed attempt to start a laundry business...for Thais.

My then wife wanted to start a laundry. We found a good area near a university in Bangkok. We knew we had the customers..a lot of the students didn't have the time or the desire to do their own laundry. A place near their school where they could drop off the laundry bundle on their way to school and pick it up on their way home seemed like a good idea. My Thai wife hired three Thai women whose families were now mostly grown, so they had time for a job outside the house for a litle extra spending money. They were good hard workers and had done loads of laundry for their families before. They knew what they were doing.

I put up the cash for 4 washers and 4 dryers, and the laundry was opened.

We had a good amount of customers...mainly female students at the university, but also Thai women who would rather bring the family laundry to be washed rather than do it at home. We didn't charge much, and the service soon became popular. We were making money!

Then the landlord for the building saw that the business was doing well and nearly tripled the rent we had agreed on. Pay up or get out.

We couldn't charge enough to cover the new rent costs. Our customers were mainly university students who just couldn't afford what we would have to charge to cover the overhead...much of it being that now tripled rent.

So we had to close the business down. We lost a profitable business, the 3 Thai women we hired were out of a job, the landlord now had a storefront that nobody wanted to rent, and the university students had to find another place to get their laundry done close to the school. I got a part of my money back by selling the used washers and dryers, but it didn't even cover my original investment in the business.

This all happened at least 20 years ago..closer to 25 years ago now that I think of it.

And that's my story about "Thai business oportunities".

:angry:

Buy a building and never worry about leasing again, if your problem is leasing and you're profitable otherwise.