Beware Using Lomprayah/Nok Air Connection

On Thursday April 28 my wife and I travelled to Nakhon Sri Thammarat, a trip we have made many times in the past few years. Usually, we travel with Raja ferries and catch a govt minibus from Donsak but this time we decided to splash out the extra and try the Lompraya service as their vessels are far superior. Little did we know we were in for the ride of a lifetime...

The ferry trip is a pleasure from KP to KS then Don Sak. However, the unmarked minibus we caught in Donsak turned out to be by far the worst experience I have ever had as a passenger - ever. Let me stress that I am not an overtly nervous passenger; in my lifetime I have done some crazy things at speed that make me cringe till today - but I was alone when doing these things and roads (motorways) were usually empty. This young driver was in a different world; Playstation world...

To describe everything the lunatic did wrong would take too much effort and space. Suffice to say he was driving at 110%, accelerating through every gear until the (brand new) minibus was screaming and then breaking hard at the very last minute when approaching heavy vehicles, turning cars, etc. He overtook on blind rises, double yellow lines, you name it. At one point we were centimetres away from a car in front who had dared to overtake us - doing about 70 approaching an intersection where cars were stationary!

Even after loudly voiced complaints (three times - the last shouted very loudly from the rear after we hit a 'ledge' at high speed where a bridge was under repair) this guy did not care about the road works on many damaged bridges - he saw these as opportunities to overtake!

When we stopped at NST airport some of the passengers confronted him: in response he asked my wife why 'farang are so nervous' and stated that he 'wasn't weaving' so no problem... My normally quiet wife was furious! To make it worse the guy's eyes were a lovely reddish yellow colour - he looked out of it.

The final straw was when I noticed the plates on the bus were red (I have a photo; licence no 1548) - so unless I am misinformed this means the vehicle is not even insured to carry passengers!

I would like a response from Lomprayah as to the following:

1. Why do you allow an uninsured vehicle to carry your passengers?

2. Why is no check made to ensure your drivers are not under the influence of drugs?

3. Why is no check made on the driver's capabilities to safely transport passengers - does he have a real licence?

So travellers, take care when using a ferry service linked with a transfer; if they use their own staff and vehicles I think the drivers have a vested interest in keeping their jobs. If, as it appears in this case Lomprayah is using a third party then the driver may not be properly licensed or capable of carrying ten people to their destination in comfort and safety. I feel the responsibility lays with the ferry company as they sell the ticket for the entire journey.

I am not going to expect a response, but my wife knows a senior Lomprayah employee so she will be making her own complaint - I will advise if anything interesting happens. Not holding my breath though...

:angry: :angry: :bah:

....The final straw was when I noticed the plates on the bus were red (I have a photo; licence no 1548) - ....so unless I am misinformed this means the vehicle is not even insured to carry passengers!

I am afraid you might be mistaken about the red license plate.

The red license plate is normally issued to new vehicle.

Two days ago, just got a red new license plate for my girlfriend birthday.

The brand new Ford pickup truck is fully insured with PraGun ChunNgeng (ประกัน ชั้นหนึ่ง).

The new van with red plate is mostly insured before it is licensed to carry passengers.

Can't say very much about that driver though.

Usually, within that vehicle there is a small postcard posted somewhere,

saying that if you are dissatisfied with the driver or services, to please call such and such number,

to report the incident.

Or if you are fluent enough in Thai, stop the driver immediately and told him to slow down and drive normally

under the speed limit.

I did that a few time, and many passengers in the van with me patted my back and smiled.

However, if you are on the physically diminutive side, I would rather use a more pacified approach though.

When come to life and safety, I really would encourage everyone to place life and safety above and beyond

everything else around us, is my humble opinion. B)

Edited by Rooo
Font & size.

....The final straw was when I noticed the plates on the bus were red (I have a photo; licence no 1548) - ....so unless I am misinformed this means the vehicle is not even insured to carry passengers!

I am afraid you might be mistaken about the red license plate.

The red license plate is normally issued to new vehicle.

My understanding is that it is similar to "trade plates" in the UK. You can be insured with a red plate but.... I was told that you cannot use the vehicle during the hours of darkness.