Iranian President Ahmadinejad 'missing' amid possible power strugle

News_Editor

Iranian President Ahmadinejad 'missing' amid possible power strugle

2011-05-01 03:07:30 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has reportedly neglected his official duties amid reports that an internal power struggle could be underway, the BBC reported on Saturday.

Earlier this month, Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei rejected the resignation of intelligence minister Heyder Moslehi. His resignation was earlier accepted by Ahmadinejad and Khamenei's decision to overrule the president came as an embarrassment for the leader.

In Iran, the country's Supreme Leader is more powerful than Ahmadinejad and any other Iranian official.

According to the BBC, Ahmadinejad has not been seen at his office for more than a week, missing two cabinet meetings and cancelling a visit to the holy city of Qom. It could indicate a power struggle is underway.

The BBC reported that a number of powerful members of parliament are now calling for a closed debate about Ahmadinejad, who has led the country since 2005.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-01

I'm reminded of the film the Goodfellas, where a psychotic Tommy DeVito eventually becomes a liability due to his hair trigger temper, until one day someone puts a cap in his head.

My judgement is that if Ahmedinajad has been removed it was done pre-emptively to stop him from doing the same to Khamenei and becoming dictator for life.

Good riddance!

Yep. Odds are the guy they replace him with will be pro-Israel...!

oh rats. Another 50 million to go.

I think he's a filthy politician of a Muslim nation I don't especially care for, but in a fight between him and the Ayatollah...I don't see why anyone would be cheering for this guy.

(edit: too drunk to know who the right Ayatollah is, but apparently I got the wrong one lol. The right one is this friendly looking fellow, who believes girls aged 9 make good wives.)

ayatollah-ali-khamenei.jpg

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

Good riddance!

I think he's a filthy politician of a Muslim nation I don't especially care for, but in a fight between him and the Ayatollah...I don't see why anyone would be cheering for this guy.

Ayatollah-Khomeini.jpg

Why should anyone cheer for him....? :blink: This is a picture of Ayatollah Khomeini' and he died years ago ?

This is the one to be scared of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei because he is a 12'r :vampire:

post-6925-0-92587700-1304215819_thumb.jp

Good riddance!

The guy in the photo is Ayatollah Khomeini, who is dead. You probably mean Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

(edit: too drunk to know who the right Ayatollah is...

They all look alike, right? A least no one has found a reason to Thai bash in this thread ... yet.

Edited by Suradit

Yep I was thrown by the beards, sorry guys. And the Bacardi. Which, I note, might well be a serious offence, to both the dead and the live Supreme Spiritual Leader or whatever they call themselves these days...when they're reversing Parliament legislation raising minimum ages for marriage from 9 > to a still disgraceful 15....back to 9.

I wouldn't have either around for a friendly Bacardi. Unless maybe I could slip a mickey in. Sleep LONG time....

Iran is gripped by a bad economy, angry citizenry and hostile neighbours. The Iranian public is fed up of seeing oil revenues distributed to other countries. Iranians want to know why they live in poverty while billions are sent to countries that are not even related nor muslim. The youth of iran want to breathe and the foot of the depsots is crushing their throats.

All countries of the world seem to have their share of red necks, skin heads, bible thumpers, warmongers, pacifists, etc. Its just a crying shame that so many of the various governments draw on these groups and not the more moderate part of their society.

the Iranian Intelligence Minister (sounds like a contradiction of terms, or oxymoron to you intellectuals) wants to resign. Was he too smart for the job?

Mad religious zealots with too much money are a menace to the whole world, and I am not only referring to oil-rich Muslims. Those who believe in an afterlife seem much too willing to let go of the current, especially when it's not theirs.

the Iranian Intelligence Minister (sounds like a contradiction of terms, or oxymoron to you intellectuals) wants to resign. Was he too smart for the job?

Mad religious zealots with too much money are a menace to the whole world, and I am not only referring to oil-rich Muslims. Those who believe in an afterlife seem much too willing to let go of the current, especially when it's not theirs.

No he was sacked (asked to resign) by Adinnerplate

Has anyone given thought to an possible imminent resignation by Mr Ahmadinejad ??? :ph34r:

That would silence alot of critics now, that would. :o

Edited by coma

Iran is gripped by a bad economy, angry citizenry and hostile neighbours. The Iranian public is fed up of seeing oil revenues distributed to other countries. Iranians want to know why they live in poverty while billions are sent to countries that are not even related nor muslim. The youth of iran want to breathe and the foot of the depsots is crushing their throats.

I like the " hostile neighbours " part of your post. I mistakenly thought you were of the belief that Iran was the hostile nation towards its neighbours. :blink:

Back to topic, i think world needs to wait and see what actually is happening there, so far its nothing but a speculation.

Lets face it, for 6 years Ahmadinejad was not just a rebel or revolutionist, all the clerics and supreme leaders were there supporting him.

Impo, it could be a number of different things, including nothing but media speculation.

Is it for the better?-will have to see

Is it for the worse? again will have to wait and see.

Can it get worse, sure it can, just like it can also get better, but then again, better and worse for whom? the Iranian people or the entire region?!

Edited by Scott
reply to deleted quote edited out

Missing? He's missing? By whom. I don't miss him at all.

Perhaps they should check in London, perhaps he went to see the big do there!

I doubt that his absence will make much of a difference. I think the those nasty old men with the hats and beards that never smile, have a firm grip on the country. They sure look like they forgot to take their happy pill.

Perhaps Mullah command central judged that removing Ahmadinajad was a necessary step in order to avoid the Arab spring uprisings spreading to Iran. With events taking place in Syria I would have thought Ahmedinajad would be very active if he were able to be.

Perhaps Mullah command central judged that removing Ahmadinajad was a necessary step in order to avoid the Arab spring uprisings spreading to Iran. With events taking place in Syria I would have thought Ahmedinajad would be very active if he were able to be.

Right on dude. :thumbsup:

i am very grateful that the resident Iran/Islam experts share their insider knowledge with me :jap:

I commend you for your admission that you are in need of an education.

If you require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me. .