Electric Outages

selftaopath

To our dear american friend. : Baseload refers to when Maximum power is being used by consumers. In most places in the world, that is between 05.00 and 09.00 hours.Or between 16.00 and 21.00 hours By then most people have gone to work.Or having finished cooking ,etc., in the evening and so are not consuming as much electricity. So, power generators do Not want to produce power at cost to them, that nobody is going to eat, that is going to waste. So they switch to other generators that do not produce so much power and do not cost as much to run, saving them money.So, you have peak and off-peak generating times.

Or another way to say it per: http://www.energyvor...oad_demand.html

baseload, base load, baseload demand: Most commonly referred to as baseload demand, this is the minimum amount of power that a utility or distribution company must make available to its customers, or the amount of power required to meet minimum demands based on reasonable expectations of customer requirements. Baseload values typically vary from hour to hour in most commercial and industrial areas.

One says 'maximum', one says 'minimum'. Which is it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brownouts can do more damage than Blackouts.But it is a few years since we have had one.

Reminds me of a situation from years ago when I was living even more in the sticks than I am now.

Power went out suddenly and was out for several hours, I went to the fridge to get a can of something healthy and nutritious and the light came on when I opened the door, looking outside the very low wattage lights where glowing, but nothing else. I pointed this out to the then wife and asked her what was happening as there where no signs of light coming from any other house.

Her explanation was quite simple. I'm farang so have big power bills and always pay on time, so they were turning the power back on at our house first, but slowly.

Ah yes.....the influence of Farang.;)

To our dear american friend. : Baseload refers to when Maximum power is being used by consumers. In most places in the world, that is between 05.00 and 09.00 hours.Or between 16.00 and 21.00 hours By then most people have gone to work.Or having finished cooking ,etc., in the evening and so are not consuming as much electricity. So, power generators do Not want to produce power at cost to them, that nobody is going to eat, that is going to waste. So they switch to other generators that do not produce so much power and do not cost as much to run, saving them money.So, you have peak and off-peak generating times.

Or another way to say it per: http://www.energyvor...oad_demand.html

baseload, base load, baseload demand: Most commonly referred to as baseload demand, this is the minimum amount of power that a utility or distribution company must make available to its customers, or the amount of power required to meet minimum demands based on reasonable expectations of customer requirements. Baseload values typically vary from hour to hour in most commercial and industrial areas.

One says 'maximum', one says 'minimum'. Which is it?

Minimum is correct. Above definition was from an energy dictionary. It's the lowest/bottom/floor amount needed to keep the customer happy; maximum would be considered the highest/peak demand.

But in a round-about way I think afrang was trying to say that in his post, from a standpoint of meeting the energy demands of customers during different times of the day/night where the minimum and maximum amounts will vary. If an area usually/averages X mount of kilowatts load during time X on day Y, then a person could say that is the minimum amount they need and I guess a person could also on the average that is the maximum amount they need.

Brownouts can do more damage than Blackouts.But it is a few years since we have had one.

Reminds me of a situation from years ago when I was living even more in the sticks than I am now.

Power went out suddenly and was out for several hours, I went to the fridge to get a can of something healthy and nutritious and the light came on when I opened the door, looking outside the very low wattage lights where glowing, but nothing else. I pointed this out to the then wife and asked her what was happening as there where no signs of light coming from any other house.

Her explanation was quite simple. I'm farang so have big power bills and always pay on time, so they were turning the power back on at our house first, but slowly.

Meaning? ... please explain that comment.

Meaning? ... please explain that comment.

Can't sleep Thad ?

Jeff won't explain - he just makes obscure comments.

Power outages ? - I hate water outages. After a hard day at work, you are ready for a nice shower and despite flooding in Korat, Khon Kaen et al, Prakhonchai turn the bloody water off ! You can almost guarantee that the missus has forgotten to fill up the dustbin.

Can't sleep Thad ?

I was involved in an interesting conversation with a farang, such opportunities don't come around that often so I thought I would make the most of it.

Can't sleep Thad ?

I was involved in an interesting conversation with a farang, such opportunities don't come around that often so I thought I would make the most of it.

Morning Thadd!;)

Can't sleep Thad ?

Morning Thadd!;)

Mornin'

Well. the power is on at the moment, but with quite a bit of flash bang activity happening just to the west of me I expect that to change.

And CH, water outages are nowhere near as bad as power outs, I can forego the odd shower now and again, but no power, no TV (the box, not here) no internet, no computer in fact..... that's like having a leg removed.

//edit/spolling

Edited by Thaddeus

Baseload- both sort of right and both sort of wrong. Sorry, I didn't want to get too testicle. however , here goes:: Baseload power is the minimum amount of power needed to be generated to satisfy Peak power demand. It, by itself does not satisfy peak demand.Which obviously goes up and down every minute It has to be augmented by some other form of power generation to satisfy that peak demand.So, Baseload is normally Coal fired power generation. Which is slow to too build up too its nominal generating capacity from start..You, therefore need to run coal fired 24 hours a day.Then , too satisfy the extra demand, either hydro or gas is used. Which provide almost instant power from switching on.And can easily be controlled ,as to the amount of extra power required to be generated. Can boost or decrease power generated , instantly to correctly satisfy demand, thereby saving costs by controlling the amount of power generated, ensuring there is no waste, that is, no excess power is generated, to be wasted ,unused.So, Peak demand requires more coal fired power to be generated, Off-peak less . But most times ,they will simply maintain coal generated at a constant level, supplementing it with gas or hydro ,as required. Thailand does use all 3 systems of power generating.

Can't sleep Thad ?

Morning Thadd!;)

Mornin'

Well. the power is on at the moment, but with quite a bit of flash bang activity happening just to the west of me I expect that to change.

And CH, water outages are nowhere near as bad as power outs, I can forego the odd shower now and again, but no power, no TV (the box, not here) no internet, no computer in fact..... that's like having a leg removed.

//edit/spolling

As showers go, don't you folks keep the proverbial water caste on the property? Unless you live in the big-bad-wall-to-wall-city....

As showers go, don't you folks keep the proverbial water caste on the property? Unless you live in the big-bad-wall-to-wall-city....

Yes but, I've never enjoyed the cold water scoop, I find unbearable in fact and would rather go without.

Yes but, I've never enjoyed the cold water scoop, I find unbearable in fact and would rather go without.

Really. Interesting. You prefer warm/hot water this time of year.......

I've heard about your kind from afar.:)

Really. Interesting. You prefer warm/hot water this time of year.......

I've heard about your kind from afar.:)

Yep, it's a foible.

May I politely concur. Hot shower is absolutely essential ,any time of year.Though I cease and desist Between the hours of 11.00 and 16.00.Might I add , not a bad idea to get your hot water heater EARTHED

May I politely concur. Hot shower is absolutely essential ,any time of year.Though I cease and desist Between the hours of 11.00 and 16.00.Might I add , not a bad idea to get your hot water heater EARTHED

Why would it be absolutely essential?

Cold water closes the pores in your skin so you don't get truly clean, and because your pores are closed you get a bodily heat build up for a while, which isn't good for you.

Cold water closes the pores in your skin so you don't get truly clean, and because your pores are closed you get a bodily heat build up for a while, which isn't good for you.

I prefer a cold shower while temperatures are over 20 degrees.

How many of the masses are you acquainted with that are "unhealthy" because of their choice of a cold {room temp} shower?.......an activity they've probably enjoyed all their lives. I would challenge such repeated nonsense as the usual worrisome and make-believe science that originates throughout some cultures. The same cultures that consider themselves healthier than the next, yet truly aren't.

Edited by zzaa09

Again this evening we had a little lightening and thunder and oh yes a sprinkling of rain so guess what????? Yea electric out several times within a few minutes and then out for hours. I think Thailand is "THE HUB" of piss poor power service.

There I've said it.

I think Thailand is "THE HUB" of piss poor power service.

Better than some, worse than many others. It's unlikely to change in our children's time. It is what it is.

We had a BIG electrical storm , in Ban Kluat this afternoon. Power went off for quite some time,Not much rain, though . That we had this morning BIG storm + lots of rain. First significant blackout for quite some time. During the "Hot Season" ,which we did not really have this year, power behaved itself quite well. Some small outages ,nothing major or of importance. About 2 years ago , they built a second power line from Plackonchai to Ban Kluat. That improved our reliability enormously. Out in the villages , sometimes a sub- station will get hit by lightning and trip itself down. Blackout ensues. TIP : Ring the power company quickly, as sometimes they do NOT know of a problem. Until someone contacts Them.When I was out in the village, we had so many blackouts, when I rang ,they ,as soon as they heard my voice would say:, "Hello Bill."

How many of the masses are you acquainted with that are "unhealthy" because of their choice of a cold {room temp} shower?

I'll answer that question with another one, or maybe two, when did I say hot? and when has a res of water in a hong nam ever been at room temperature? or anything approaching body temperature.

How many of the masses are you acquainted with that are "unhealthy" because of their choice of a cold {room temp} shower?

I'll answer that question with another one, or maybe two, when did I say hot? and when has a res of water in a hong nam ever been at room temperature? or anything approaching body temperature.

Techical point - did you mean ab nam, or have you taken to 'dipping' in the big white telephone ?

(I only ask, in this case, because I know that is physically possible)

Edited by cardholder

I know the water in the hong nam is probably colder than the water in our refrigerator i.e. shockingly cold. But yes on hot days/nights if does feel refreshing. Other than that a warm shower suits me just fine. And sure to clean skin adequately warm water is more effective.

Techical point - did you mean ab nam, or have you taken to 'dipping' in the big white telephone ?

(I only ask, in this case, because I know that is physically possible)

Now you are just being silly :)

I doubt you had cold showers when in Hong Kong recently. I seem to recall you mentioning elsewhere that you were suffering from frozen <deleted>!

Sounds rather painful.....;)

I doubt you had cold showers when in Hong Kong recently. I seem to recall you mentioning elsewhere that you were suffering from frozen <deleted>!

Sounds rather painful.....;)

And are they going to make it on to the menu?

Powercut in daylight = dog walking time.

Powercut at night = MP3 player and unsettled dozing until the fans kick in again.

(Looked at getting a UPS for the fan but not been worth doing yet.)