Rental Prices In Chiang Mai

ebcal

Hi All,

First post on this site, but found this site to be quite interesting.

I am starting to think about quitting work sometime relatively soon and moving to Chiang Mai maybe to retire early or at least maybe on a semi-retired basis. Have to still do more planning to work out the numbers and see when I can swing it financially. But, I have started to price rentals in Chiang Mai and am quite surprised at the relatively high rents being asked for on some websites. I do see a wide wide range of what you get for your money, so that definitely means one has to do a lot of work and due diligence in shopping around.

1. Seems houses are generally a better deal than condos, as I see condos often asking higher prices than many houses, which seems odd. Maybe this is due to association dues and costs to run the condo place are higher if there are guards, pool, etc.

2. Still, I see some condos that seem very overpriced. Some very nice ones going for $45,000 B/ month, or more. This seems way overpriced for Chiang Mai or maybe I had the wrong idea. I think maybe this is also due to rentals being listed on English sites, so directed at foreigners who they assume will pay a premium. So, I think maybe having a Thai friend check some Thai listings would result in finding lower prices. Can anyone confirm?

3. I also see a very high cost of monthly rent versus purchase price. I see this on some that have rent or buy option or just by comparing something close. Some seem to have a high rent as compared to the cost to buy, so renting in 8-9 years would cover the total purchase price. And while I am not looking to buy anytime soon, at least until I have lived there some time, but I also dont see very good rent vs buy costs.

4. As in any city, I know the cost differs of course by location and those right by the downtown area, night markets would pay a premium. However, I can be somewhat flexible on location and dont need to be right next to the night bazaar or other popular tourist areas. But, I would like a fairly nice place, so not looking for a budget place. And I would be looking for 1 or 2 BR place.

I would be interested to hear others comments on the rental market. Condo versus house, and the observations I made above. I read also that the utilities can be overcharged in a condo unit by the owner, whereas a house you would deal directly with the utility with no additional mark up. Thanks a lot.

First post on this site, but found this site to be quite interesting.

I am starting to think about quitting work sometime relatively soon and moving to Chiang Mai maybe to retire early or at least maybe on a semi-retired basis. Have to still do more planning to work out the numbers and see when I can swing it financially. But, I have started to price rentals in Chiang Mai and am quite surprised at the relatively high rents being asked for on some websites. I do see a wide wide range of what you get for your money, so that definitely means one has to do a lot of work and due diligence in shopping around.

1. Seems houses are generally a better deal than condos, as I see condos often asking higher prices than many houses, which seems odd. Maybe this is due to association dues and costs to run the condo place are higher if there are guards, pool, etc.

Agents get 1-2 months rent- best to go direct to owners and negotiate direct. Agents will always try get more. Eg. Agents wanted 14,000bt on house currently in....negotiate direct to get 9000bt. Simply put- agents are a bit greedy. Yet understand they need to make a buck- but it is Thailand the fees they charge are a disconnect compared to homeland. Agents should have fixed rates for places below 20K bt pm and another for over- like 7.5K bt and 15K bt is fair. Yet they get triple this--we pay for it. Commercially speaking they cannot do anything if they bypassed- yet some get nasty and get debt collectors onto owners. You can ask the agent to cut their fees right in front of the owner and you will take the place for XYZ. The owner will tell the Agent how much they will give them, agent really must accept.

2. Still, I see some condos that seem very overpriced. Some very nice ones going for $45,000 B/ month, or more. This seems way overpriced for Chiang Mai or maybe I had the wrong idea. I think maybe this is also due to rentals being listed on English sites, so directed at foreigners who they assume will pay a premium. So, I think maybe having a Thai friend check some Thai listings would result in finding lower prices. Can anyone confirm?

Houses for my money in a very good Moobarn like Regent or Languna, etc have good deal. Time the house been vacant VERY IMPORTANT... but some owners rich and do not care. So same house type exactually in same Moo Barn I have seen one person pay 25K bt pm whilst another paid 12K bt. Large disconnect and you will feel hard done by and regret decision if do not look around a great deal. Knowing others and getting recommendations is also a BIG BONUS.

3. I also see a very high cost of monthly rent versus purchase price. I see this on some that have rent or buy option or just by comparing something close. Some seem to have a high rent as compared to the cost to buy, so renting in 8-9 years would cover the total purchase price. And while I am not looking to buy anytime soon, at least until I have lived there some time, but I also dont see very good rent vs buy costs.

Not true- as above a large disconnect between rental prices. I feel sick to think what prices I used to pay compared to know- knowing others and thorough research of deals is best. I know a couple in our Moo Barn that will worth taking a look at. Near Meechok Rimping. Once again some sit their forever as rich landlord does not care if rents, whilst others NEED the income. Houses you can rent approx. 4% yield pa stand...pay over and you over paying in general. Pay under and you getting good deal. Once again large disconnect in house prices. Can only go off last supposed price of similar house sold in Moo Barn.

Condos you pay higher yield as higher fees for Landlord. Eg. Maintenance, taxes, etc. Yet without doubt Condo owners in GOOD complexes make very good yields. They more sort after and maintenance free. Once again one man can pay 20K bt pm and another 15K bt. As anyone we try to get the highest price we can as owners, lowest as renters. Offer to pay 6 months in advances and pay 6 monthly has worked in getting the cost WAY WAY down for me. Yet it is a risk, as you may have dogs everywhere and loud and cannot sleep. Must be sure before an offer like this...

4. As in any city, I know the cost differs of course by location and those right by the downtown area, night markets would pay a premium. However, I can be somewhat flexible on location and dont need to be right next to the night bazaar or other popular tourist areas. But, I would like a fairly nice place, so not looking for a budget place. And I would be looking for 1 or 2 BR place.

Many many.......houses typically 3 bed 2\3 bath in good estates.... look a bit more spectacular than the single stories 2 bed 2 bath in general. I like 2 stories as bottom storey stays nice and cool without too much air con. Air con in each bedroom, office i find essential in months from March- Oct.

I would be interested to hear others comments on the rental market. Condo versus house, and the observations I made above. I read also that the utilities can be overcharged in a condo unit by the owner, whereas a house you would deal directly with the utility with no additional mark up. Thanks a lot.

That hard as have no idea what is suited to you- maintenance free, garden, pool, sports centre in estate, self contained building, etc, etc the list goes on. Must hire gardeners or do yourself in a house- more care and attention usually. Condos easier as usually comes with all internet, cable, etc, etc. House you need to do all yourself. Feel free to PM if need My 2 cents worth... also some will offer to show you places in general expect they are acting as agents even when state they are not. Put simply you wish to talk direct to owner, if they do not allow for whatever reason- move on. Hope helps out. Cheers Jay

Dude, I know it sucks because there are like 15 billion of them, but you need to read the previous posts on exactly this subject.

Just do it. Make yourself the big cup of coffee or beer or heroin or whatever it is you need, sit down at the computer, and plow through it all. Your answer is in there somewhere.

Not a competition Mantis- agree with Mantis except the heroin part- LOL, it takes sometime to really research for the best possible deals. Internet a start... you get a great feel by starting out with agents showing you around. Then you will see For Rent signs everywhere. Make ur decision on Condo or house however before anything else. Then look around estates or Condo complexes when you done. Print out adverts and even go with agent if wish. Then see what else available in estate or complex if likey likey.

Hee's a good tip.....rent a small place.Forget pool garden etc...Just think furnished, tv, aircon and fan...Then you will be able to get to know the area and how little you may need in room size..I take it you will be living alone for a while? Ok I know the score thete.lol..But whete you are now I mean country you may have lots of possessions.You wont havr yhem hete.Best to be able to move on quickly here.Its warm in Chiang Mai all year round.Ok a little below 20 in the cool season at times. Find your way around and then you will have a bettet ideaof where to stay in the long term.You will not be sble to set up s rentalor buy from out of the country.I guess wgat Iam saying is your needs will change living over here and its best to limit yoyr outgoings..all thr best Dave

> As in any city, I know the cost differs of course by location and those right by the downtown area, night

> markets would pay a premium. However, I can be somewhat flexible on location and dont need to be right next to the night bazaar or other popular tourist areas.

Actually the highest prices may not be near any tourist area, and especially not the Night Bazar. So you need to give it some time and see which areas represent which prices. Highest of them all likely is the Nimmanhaemin Rd area: not a tourist area at all.

The 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house attached to this pool is only 5,000 baht per month.

If you know what you are doing, you can find this too :)

frontyard.jpg

A house that would sell for 1,000,000--could rent furnished for 10,000 per month. Find a good furnished condo that doesn't have the electric rate rip=off. The Government rate is ABOUT 3.7 thb, WHY SHOULD YOU PAY HUAY KAEW RESIDENCE 7 THB PER KWH? You can go without a/c during the rainy season in CM (march--april would be tough).

Welcome to Chiang Mai, jayinoz. The reason for this may be that the construction costs are higher for condos and the development company must probably calculate for a profit at so-and-so many percent of vacancy, because of the constant oversupply in the market. It really makes sense only in the inner city where land prices are high. On the other hand, there are plenty of cheap pre-owned condos in Chiang Mai, especially in student areas. Unfortunately, these units are often very small and the building might not be maintained well.

Still, I see some condos that seem very overpriced. Some very nice ones going for $45,000 B/ month, or more.

Welcome to the jungle! Despite the naysayers, Chiang Mai has enjoyed a healthy growth in the property market for over a decade and there is no end in sight. Unfortunately, this has gotten to the head of many owners. You find overpriced property everywhere, not just condos, but everything, including land, shops, and houses. Tens of thousands of locals appear to dream of rich expats and/or Bangkokians buying up their ridiculously priced lots. For example, property prices in Nimmanhemin have reached Bangkok price level now, which is economically absurd, considering the much lower earning and investment potential there. The natural consequence is high vacancy. You can certainly find value for money here, but you have to put in time and effort.

I also see a very high cost of monthly rent versus purchase price.

Yes, indeed. Many landlords price for 100% ROI in 10 or 12 years, which is quite outrageous if you ask me. Granted, most buildings here have a shorter life expectation than in the West, but it is rarely below 30 years. Same phenomenon as above, I suppose. The fact that some people are successful in charging inflated prices has set a precedent. On the other hand, Thai landlords are not always very rational. They are content to accept years of vacancy rather than lowering their asking prices just a bit. Still, there's a sunny side, even if you are a buyer. If you buy or build instead of renting, chances are that you won't have to pay rent for years and still make a profit when you sell.

In general, land prices are proportional to the distance from the city, yet this does not mean that sellers ask realistic prices and it also does not translate to house prices. It is better to get to know the city first before making location decisions. Much depends on facilities, infrastructure and "image". I for one don't care much for housing estates. Most of them provide overpriced cookie cutter models designed for Thai tastes and even in supposedly "upscale" moo baans like the Laguna, Urbana, etc. architecture and building quality is so so. Technically and financially, the best option is to design and build your own. Unfortunately, this requires experience, knowledge, and capital.

By the way, I do not completely agree with what others said about agents. An agent can be quite useful to find the property that you cannot find (unless you have unlimited time). Just find with a reputable one. He shouldn't charge more than one month for rental contracts, or respectively three percent for standard sales. We have made several agent-facilitated deals in our five years here and we were not disappointed.

Cheers, CMX

A house that would sell for 1,000,000--could rent furnished for 10,000 per month. Find a good furnished condo that doesn't have the electric rate rip=off. The Government rate is ABOUT 3.7 thb, WHY SHOULD YOU PAY HUAY KAEW RESIDENCE 7 THB PER KWH? You can go without a/c during the rainy season in CM (march--april would be tough).

...... to a foreigner.

Everyone else will be paying about 4,000bht a month unfurnished (5,000bht furnished)

I am living in a 2 bedroom modern house about 8km from CM city centre, 5000bht a month (but the Thais down the road paid 5,000bht for a 3 bedroom house)

Plenty of houses like this around. Double the rental price if you found the house by internet, agent or advert in English.

Double the rental price if you found the house by internet, agent or advert in English.

Absolutely - there are loads of bargain rentals that are not dumps. It just takes a bit of time and effort.

The 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house attached to this pool is only 5,000 baht per month.

If you know what you are doing, you can find this too :)

frontyard.jpg

Teach me. Please. I am 100% serious. My husband and I are staying temporarily in a studio condo for the first two months, and we're halfway through the first month. The idea of getting out there and looking is daunting.

Teach me. Please. I am 100% serious. My husband and I are staying temporarily in a studio condo for the first two months, and we're halfway through the first month. The idea of getting out there and looking is daunting.

It really is very easy, you just rent a m/c and drive around the area you like, Thais hang signs outside houses for rent or sale. That look something like this.

ให้เช่า = for rent (hi chow)

ขาย = for sale (Kye)

If you see a house you like the look of you make a note of the phone number on the sign and get someone who speaks Thai to give them a call.

Houses for sale can often be rented so you have to ask.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I would like to add a little warning to newcomers ....often people even on TV say, "find a Thai friend you can trust" to help you. I think you will have no chance in hell of finding any person you can trust when a large commission is involved. I've done both, the "friends" and the agents and I got a very poor idea of what was out there and available. And when you are new here, there is no way to meet someone you can trust ...everyone you meet will attempt to "help you" rent, buy furniture, a car whatever, they are all looking for commission, they all will lead you to believe things cost more than they do (therefore increasing their percentage).

The very first thing all the people I dealt with did, is take me to the most unrentable houses, because (I think) they offered larger commissions than other people. They also paid zero attention to what my requirements were, usually drove me 30 minutes out of town or more, to look at giant 400 sq meter places, or crappy little condo/townhouse things. They told me inflated prices, just like the inflated prices that are advertised in print ads, and now on the internet (there wasn't much on the internet when I first moved here, no TV or anything.) I was just a single person with some pets, and wanted a safe yard with a good fence, and a decent basic house of medium size.

Also, lots of the furnished places are just furnished with total crap. The same furniture one can find in a 3000 baht Thai apartment, can also be found in a 40,000 baht a month house. On the rare occasion that you find a nicely furnished house, they seem to want 4 times the normal rent. Often any appliances will be old, energy guzzlers, so you will be paying 3 times the electric bill due to your old aircons, and refrigerator. You need to test EVERYTHING, the water pressure, do the heaters work, does the microwave work (some places are half filled with broken washers, broken heater, or might need a water filter to the entire house, because they water is brown and rusty, etc.)

One place I rented unfurnished, and put in everything myself, it was just an empty shell, but was in good condition and not too expensive. However I learned that I was in a major flood area back in 2004? whenever we had that giant flood ...my house had 5-6 feet of water in it, my car went under water and sat there for 3 days, most of my furnishings got trashed, the things I saved and put in storage, were mostly stolen later. There are large areas of town that flood on occasion, but nobody will tell you that. I moved out right away, thank goodness, because that area flooded another 2-3 times that season.

Well, every house I rented turned into some kind of nightmare, each one unique. If I was coming here without pets, I would rent a decent furnished condo, or one of the nicer apartments, in the moderate price range, and just look, look and look. Look with friends, look with agents, look on your own if you can ...see what you can negotiate, get a lot of practice with various owners. Some have big beautiful properties, but the inside looks like a Cambodian wasteland ....wall paper is water stained, peeling in sheets off the wall, it hasn't been painted in 20 years, everything is broken, and they refuse to update or fix anything, or say "they will do it later" after they get your money, then they never do it. But the house is for sale for 10 million baht, and has sat empty for 5 years. I even got shown the same houses, over and over again, by different people so that is how I know nobody ever rented them, and that they must be paying more to the agents.

Another point I would make, about starting out in something in the cheaper range ...cheaper than you can afford or want, is that I believe some of us (like me) get a stigma that follows you around. People I never met, knew how much rent I paid, and all places I ever was shown, after that precedent, cost that much or more. So lets say you agree to pay 25,000 a month, thinking it is okay for now, and you will get something more reasonable later ...well people will show you 4000 baht townhouse in the sticks, and say the price is 25K. Or whatever, they seem to not judge the quality or value, just decide that you will pay 25000 or more, so everything becomes that price ...forever. It is a good idea to make yourself sound broke, even if you are very well off. If you hope to pay 10,000 or 15000, tell people you can only afford 5000 and see what happens.

Don't ever give money, until any work the landlord promises to do, is done ...or just walk away because most of them say they don't want to do the work until they have the money from you, maybe they need your money to do the work in the first place. Also negotiate the least deposit, like one month max, because you will most likely never get that back. Sometimes, AFTER you have negotiated the lowest price you think is possible, then you can bring up what discount they will offer for paying in advance (like if you want to pay 6 or 12 months in advance, they are very happy about that) but also be warned that if that rent includes anything, like electric, or water, or internet or TV, that the owner, once they get that money, probably will stop paying for those services, and you will be stuck and end up paying again. (That happend to me the only time I paid a year in advance, and they kept my two month deposit also.)

Good luck!

...... to a foreigner.

Everyone else will be paying about 4,000bht a month unfurnished (5,000bht furnished)

I am living in a 2 bedroom modern house about 8km from CM city centre, 5000bht a month (but the Thais down the road paid 5,000bht for a 3 bedroom house)

Plenty of houses like this around. Double the rental price if you found the house by internet, agent or advert in English.

I am basing my statement as a former co-owner at www.banwangtan.com. Not many folks paying under 10K in there. There were a few exceptions of people paying 6 or 7 for the smallest houses in the development. I would also call that middle of the road for CNX. If you are buying a property and can't get 1% per month for rent--you shouldn't buy it--there are many costs associated with owning. My rental here in Phoenix cost me 22,000 USD or 650,000 THB. It rents for 569 per month or 17,000 THB. After I pay leasing comission, management fees, maintenance, I still get a solid 12% ROI. Everything works properly here, you will be lucky to find that in CNX. It must be the Chinese in them or something, but there are lots of shitty ac units and leaky roofs, that need to be thoroughly checked out. Some of you make good points about letting a friend help you. A friend of mine wound up in Home-in the Park for 28,000 per month, and it was about 4 times more house than he needed, complete with chained up Husky next door. I would deal directly with the onsite management, instead of some foreigner without a WP. They will speak enough English to do business with. I almost bought at the ChiangRai Condotel last fall for 420,000--they get 4500 in rent.

IThe very first thing all the people I dealt with did, is take me to the most unrentable houses, because (I think) they offered larger commissions than other people. They also paid zero attention to what my requirements were, usually drove me 30 minutes out of town or more, to look at giant 400 sq meter places, or crappy little condo/townhouse things. They told me inflated prices, just like the inflated prices that are advertised in print ads, and now on the internet (there wasn't much on the internet when I first moved here, no TV or anything.) I was just a single person with some pets, and wanted a safe yard with a good fence, and a decent basic house of medium size.

This is just so true.

A good reason to go around on your own m/c, looking for signs

PS. This is a 5000bht a month house

5000.jpg

PPS

The more white people that live in the area, the more inflated the rents will be.

White people are very stupid when it comes to renting property and will pay double a Thai person for the same house.

Best to rent from a Thai that speaks no English and has never rented to a foreigner before.

Edited by sarahsbloke

It seems that some members have made unpleasant experiences, but the point of this thread is to help the OP avoiding these experiences. The best way to do that is probably to have a decent command of the Thai language and/or support from a trusted Thai friend, a car, a fairly good sense of direction, some understanding of the local property market, good negotiation skills, and a month of time to explore your favourite areas, look for house, and conduct negotiations. Do you have all that? If not, it may still be a good option to use an agent, despite the fact that there are some sharks in the pond.

My experience with property agents is -as with all people one conducts business with- that it always helps to establish a sense of mutual openness and respect first. If one treats the agent like an annoying rip-off artist, this is exactly what one will get. When we first came to Chiang Mai, we had only one week to locate a suitable house and sign a rental contract. We chose to three contact established agents who maintain offices in the city and were able to present catalogues with photos. That way, it was possible to separate the wheat from the chaff without too much driving around. We did three to four targeted viewings per day and signed up at the end of the week.

I'd recommend this procedure to newcomers, because there is just no way to familiarise youself with the city, it's geography, infrastructure, traffic, land prices, buildings, business customs, and the property market in a short amount of time. Just get here first, and once you have a better picture, a few months later perhaps, you can go on the property hunt again and look for the "real deal". In the meantime, my wife and I have found ourselves in the role of buyer/seller, landlord/tenant and builder, so we got to know all the angles. Hence, some words of advise for renting:

- Unless you are looking for high-end properties, try to avoid agents that have specialised in expats, because these are always expensive.

- When choosing an agent, look for someone with an established business with whom you can communicate reasonably well.

- Properties advertised on the Internet are frequently overprized, but not always. The "fair deal" ratio might be well below 5%.

- Keep in mind that real estate prices in Chiang Mai vary wildly. Since land taxes and maintenance costs are low, many owners don't seem to mind long vacancies.

- Prices are dictated by the owner. If you find that the agent marks up prices, then you drew the "shark" card.

- Be patient before you buy. Overpaying a few thousand Baht for a half-a-year rental contract hardly matters in the big picture.

- Get as much information about the location as you can. Consider floods, services, security, dogs, pests, nearby infrastructure. Pospective neighbours are good sources.

- If you are viewing a moo baan, speak to the people who live there.

- Things to look out for are malfunctioning appliances, termite infestation, electrical hazards, non-working doors and windows, and leaky roofs. All very common.

- Always negotiate. Consider letting a trusted Thai friend (if available) conduct the negotiations if you can't speak Thai.

- Dress neatly and be polite when negotiating with landlords and you may be able to negotiate a significant reduction.

- Read the contract and consider the extra costs, such as maintenance fees, TV, phone, Internet, and deposits.

- Deposits should not exceed one month rent, except for luxury property. Agent commissions should not exceed one month rent.

Cheers, CMX

I'm inexperienced but it seems to me after reading these posts, that the OP would probably better off renting a room in a guest house. You have a better chance of getting your deposit back for starters. The downside of the guest house seems to be the 7bht a unit charge but even then my electric bill for last month was only 250bht.

Good luck finding trusted Thai friends when your flashing 15,000 to 25,000 bht around . That is asking to attract scammers.

>>I would like to add a little warning to newcomers ....often people even on TV say, "find a Thai friend you can trust" to help you. I think you will have no chance in hell of finding any person you can trust when a large commission is involved<<

Very very true in every single dealing I have ever had.... yet in saying that- easy to bypass if talking direct to owner. As Thais will burn each other for an extra buck in a second... lets face it so to do Farang sales guys with no contracts in place.

Even if they say 12K bt pm- offer absolutely outrageous 6K bt then get them to tell you their lowest price. Offer 3 months upfront and it soon heads down to 8K without a problem. Agents will hate this thread- as you cannot do this will most agents in my experience. As you paying all the middle men in this case... agents great to show you around- Lol. Then take note of areas you like then talk direct when you see 10 for rent signs in the same area. Funny how most Agents only cater to Farangs, Japanese or Koreans- there is a reason. We can be naive if we are not in the know. Coming from a guy who has been DONE many many times in last few years. Slow learner- Lol.

Cheers Jay

My first house here was 18k a month - large house (4 bed + maid's room - 4 bath - 3 aircon) with nice garden, but pretty far out - was taken there by an agent (took 2 days in choosing and saw maybe 20 odd houses) - next was one on a moo bahn, nice little single story 2 bed place for 12k (Ban wangtan), now live in a four bed (one used as my office/class room - one as music room - 1 for kids n 1 for me) out by Airport Plaza (15baht to town on yellow somgtaew - free on grren ones)., no aircon (which is fine by me - its not that hot up here, fan during the hummid season is plenty) - for 6k.

Put a hot shower in, but other than that OK - Land Lady is fine (leaky roof fixed last year when it rained) - but decorating/air con/hot showers etc pay for it yourself. Fully furtnished (though I use my own fridge and TV - included one's are stored). Western kitchen, western bathrooms (3 of) - parque upstairs, tiles down. Quiet location - mostly Thai neighbours, but some foireigners - passing trade with local Muay Thai school too (land lady rents some houses out on a by room basis to the fighters - mostly foreigners on a muay thai holiday) - she seems to own the whole road. Speaks OK English and helps with any issues (like water board not bothering to give any bills and yhen turning up to disconnect - she told them off, stopped them doing it, paid the bill - I reinbursed).

Best if you stay in a Guest House at first - ignore the internet, much of it is out of date anyway - and (as said above) rent a moped and go out looking. get to know the areas, and what's available - don't be fooled by agents telling you prices going up or lack of vacant places etc - so many empty places here - look for the boards on gates.

Also, lots of guys here will say not to trust Thai people etc - ignoring the obvious twitch to defend a whole nation (most of which are not scammers or thieves!) - you will be suprised how many Thais will help you out of the goodness of their heart (or out of sheer bordem) - my second place here was found when my insurance lady took it apon herslef to drive me around a few of the better moo bahns (in her merc) - and whispered to me when places we looked at were not to standard - or the agent was being cagey. The one I have now was found for me - suggested - by a local cafe owner who knew there were several places up for rent locally when I mentioned about moving again - and she had nothing to do with the owner nor did she get a bung - she even found out the phone number for me (from another shop owner that did know the land lady) and arranged a viewing. Didn't cost me a dime - got in without any initial payment of rent in advance (just deposit for firniture) and I got Thai price too as the land l;ady was asked the price by the cafe owner before she knew any different (she did try to increase it at first - but the cafe owner embarrassed her - so Thai price). I would say local eyes, ears and mouths can help a lot - just play it coy and keep your money in your pocket.

Edited by wolf5370

Although I am not in the market, this is a great thread with lots of excellent advice. It should be pinned somewhere. I was also amazed at how little some people pay for a nice place in Chiang Mai. But, you DO have to get out and look. Rent a scooter, get hold of a map, and putz around a bit in different neighbourhoods. It's a whole new world out there. A GPS with Thai maps loaded on it can be useful.

No one has mentioned that a lot of the cheapies are in San Sai. Several of the Thais have told me it rains more up there. Also, a number of agents have told me, never, ever rent to the thais--the appliances will be gone, among other things.

No one has mentioned that a lot of the cheapies are in San Sai. Several of the Thais have told me it rains more up there. Also, a number of agents have told me, never, ever rent to the thais--the appliances will be gone, among other things.

You're saying Thais are all thieves?

Nice. :bah:

Forgot to mention: if you are looking for a house in the lower price range below 10,000 THB rent, then you should consider exploring by yourself. Agents don't carry much inventory in that range. The pool example posted by LJW is quite atypical. Although there are some bargains, they are not that easy to come by. In fact, you should be suspicious if the deal is too good to be true. I remember one viewing at Moo Baan Wang Tan where a spacious house with a nice garden was offered for 5,000 THB. Not too stylish, but well maintained and semi-furnished. I almost signed up, until an commercial jet went 300 feet above our heads in approach to CNX airport. My ears kept ringing for almost 5 min.

If you are looking for a typical middle class home above 10K, then agents do have a lot to offer. Keep in mind that prices are negotiable and if the owner is not a penny pincher and you leave a good impression on him/her, you might get a discount. See it from the landlord's perspective: they prefer tenants who don't default on the contract, are not overly fussy, and keep their property in order. If the prospective tenant appears sloppy or disrespectful, then the landlord must conclude that his/her property gets treated the same way. If you offer cooperation and upfront payment, then that should open doors.

By the way, I find the suggestion to "never trust a Thai friend" not just unfortunate, but also inaccurate. The correct phrasing would be: never trust an overly enthusiastic stranger. This applies to all people, not just the Thais. It is trite to notice that Chiang Mai contains, like any city in the world, trustworthy as well as untrustworthy people. The perception that only farangs get fleeced by the latter category is also entirely wrong. My wife happens to be Bangkokian and many Chiang Mai people think of Bangkokians as wealthy and clueless. I could not suppress a certain amount of gloating when -in the beginning- some locals quoted fantasy prices to her, as they would have done to me. She experienced the "farang predicament" first hand. In the meantime, she has acquired a Chiang Mai numberplate and a local dialect, which seems to help in such situations.

Cheers, CMX

You're saying Thais are all thieves?

Nice. :bah:

I just repeated what some Thai agents, who themselves would not rent to thais told me. Also, they don't respect the foreign teachers very much, from a landlord point of view--they've been known to leave in the middle of the night--both voluntary and involuntary. Lots of them aren't really cut out for 120 THB per hour jobs.

No mention of the barking dogs, which are a lot worse than the thirty flights a day out of CNX--even at wangtan.

Edited by Thighlander