More Bomb Shelters For Surin

Lite Beer

Budget allocation to be made easier to fund bomb shelters in Surin

By NUPPOL SUVANSOMBUT.

SURIN, 1 May 2011 (NNT)-Minister to the Prime Minister's Office Ongart Klampaiboon said he had been trying to fast track a budget allocation to build more bomb shelters in Surin province while expressing his belief that the situation over the border would soon return to normal.

According to Mr. Ongart, since the border clashes broke out, the money has been drawn from the emergency budget, meant to be spent by civil servants. Due to the complexity in the allocation process, Mr. Ongart is determined to make a few exceptions in order to fast track the construction of 169 bomb shelters around the border communities.

He said in Kap Choeng district alone, 131 bomb shelters were needed due to its close proximity to the Cambodian border. Mr. Onagrt further added that a few gunfights were reported over the frontier last night, but no bullets were found on the Thai soil. He explained that since the talks were held between military officials from both nations, the violence had subsided.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-01 footer_n.gif

Bomb shelters????????

Where I come from the understanding about a bomb shelter is that it is a safe place where bombs can do no harm.

Here schools and temples are used as "bomb shelters".I call that easy targets.

I can't imagine how long it would take to constructive some 131 bomb shelters. Peace will be upon us by then.

Bomb shelters are pretty simple technology so easy enough to build and by the tone of this report anyways it doesn't sound like peace is the goal :( ..

Bomb shelters????????

Where I come from the understanding about a bomb shelter is that it is a safe place where bombs can do no harm.

Here schools and temples are used as "bomb shelters".I call that easy targets.

Yes but both sides are Buddhist and the entire tiff is regarding a temple, so in theory a temple is probably a good refuge and less likely to be a target..

Bomb Shelter announcement is for local consumption to calm the people.

Does anyone want to contemplate the quality of such shelters? I hope they are not built in the same fashion as other structures or else we will be reading about people suffocating due to inadequate ventilation, or of being burnt to death because flamables were used in the construction etc.

Yes but both sides are Buddhist and the entire tiff is regarding a temple, so in theory a temple is probably a good refuge and less likely to be a target..

I think the "tiff" is regarding land around the temple, not the temple itself.

This is what the bomb shelters are like ! They don t talk about underground bunkers . This is Thai country style bunker !

Oh my!! That's sad!! :( I thought they would be simple but seriously :whistling: ....

I think the "tiff" is regarding land around the temple, not the temple itself.

Technically that's correct but without the temple there would likely be no dispute as it is the reason the land adjacent, not surrounding, is in dispute due to the demarcation of the border that gives the site to the Cambodians and it's subsequent World Heritage site designation..

Temple Preah Vihear border dispute

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually,

that bunker is not that bad and will stop mortars and smaller rockets (i.e., 107mm).

Contrary topopular belief, neither penetrates very far into the ground (I was verysurprised to see how little)……before fragmenting, that’s the dangerous part.

But, SOMEONEneeds to go ahead and put sandbags in the middle and in the front.

T-Walls andHesco’s are helpful as well.

Might wantto tidy that “bunkhouse” up, because I’ll be damned if these f*ckers can compromiseand loose some face.

Actually,

that bunker is not that bad and will stop mortars and smaller rockets (i.e., 107mm).

Contrary topopular belief, neither penetrates very far into the ground (I was verysurprised to see how little)……before fragmenting, that’s the dangerous part.

But, SOMEONEneeds to go ahead and put sandbags in the middle and in the front.

T-Walls andHesco’s are helpful as well.

Might wantto tidy that “bunkhouse” up, because I’ll be damned if these f*ckers can compromiseand loose some face.

Now is the time for all those thousands of ex SAS, MI5, Paras, Special Forces guys to come out of retiremnet and help your host nation a little, surely not that hard with all your unarmed combat and special mission experience to construct a few simple bomb shelters?????...or maybe your too busy on recon as secretly you are instructed by MI6 to spy on Cambodia :ph34r:

Now is the time for all those thousands of ex SAS, MI5, Paras, Special Forces guys to come out of retiremnet and help your host nation a little, surely not that hard with all your unarmed combat and special mission experience to construct a few simple bomb shelters?????...or maybe your too busy on recon as secretly you are instructed by MI6 to spy on Cambodia :ph34r:

ESB7' timestamp='1304306195' post='4395039']

Not SAS work , sorry to inform you , but their work is to BLOW them up not BUILD them up , a grenade would take those simple structures out , that is sewer pipe , need galvanized steel as our WW!! shelters were built of , 2 thirds in the ground and fit to live in .