Can'T Rewrite On Used Dvd-Rw

samtam

Can one of you wizards tell me what I can do:

I can download movies on to a new DVD-RW, but when I try and rewrite on to it, my computer tells me to install a new(unused) DVD to burn.

I have a Windows XP, and I just don't know if there's any Microsoft or other software that will enable me to reuse DVD-RW.

I've even cleaned (deleted) used DVD-RWs on another computer, but when I try and re-use them on my desktop Windows XP, it doesn't like them.

Help wanted!

Thanks to both of you. I have been looking at the Microsoft links, but they do not appear to help me.

I also downloaded Burnaware, but I do not know how to transfer the file from Vuze to my desktop. Drag and drop does not seem to work.

The problem with trying help you is the OP is seriously lacking in details.

I can download movies on to a new DVD-RW, but when I try and rewrite on to it, my computer tells me to install a new(unused) DVD to burn.

What software are you trying to do this with? When reusing a DVD in this case usually you need to erase the disk to make it appear as a new disk.

II've even cleaned (deleted) used DVD-RWs on another computer, but when I try and re-use them on my desktop Windows XP, it doesn't like them.

This is the most confusing part of all. What software and hardware where you using to "cleaned (deleted) used DVD-RWs on another computer"? Again you can't just can't delete disks or format disks on another machine. The disks need to be erased.to use on another machine.

This is a difference between deleting, formatting and erasing. There is also a difference between using a 'mastered' and a 'Live File' format. only a live file format, can you delete or format the disks.

There is also a difference between closing and finalizing a disk. If a disk is finalized files cannot be appended. The disk needs to be erased.

Sounds like you disks have either been 'mastered' or 'finalized' they need to be erased to be used again.

Rewritable CDs/DVDs are not like Flash sticks, floppy disks, or harddives. where you can easiy drag and drop files to them, delete files, or format them. It's a lot more complicated.

Erasing rewritable disks always return them to a like 'new' state,

Edited by BB1950

but I do not know how to transfer the file from Vuze to my desktop. Drag and drop does not seem to work.

You should be able to do this. Just go into where you have told Vuse to transfer your files to or have you left them in something like C:\users\(you)\documents\Azureus Downloads. You can't drag and drop from the Vuse 'listing page'.

Why bother with burning them to a disc ? :huh: Most cheap dvd players now come with a USB and they play AVI files so just stick them on a memory stick and play them that way. You can pick up a player in Tesco or Big C for around 6-700 baht :D

Stop trying to use RW disks, they supposedly allow you to reuse them over and over but in my experience they don't

Too many things can go wrong with them. You may have "finalized" the disk and rendered it un writable, you may have forgotten to format them, to clear off all the old information before burning, etc.

Get yourself some DVD-R or DVD+R disks and just use them once. When you compare the cost difference between RW and R+ or R- disks, the promised re-writable claim isn't worth the frustration and resultant "coasters"

The problem with trying help you is the OP is seriously lacking in details.

What software are you trying to do this with? When reusing a DVD in this case usually you need to erase the disk to make it appear as a new disk.

II've even cleaned (deleted) used DVD-RWs on another computer, but when I try and re-use them on my desktop Windows XP, it doesn't like them.

This is the most confusing part of all. What software and hardware where you using to "cleaned (deleted) used DVD-RWs on another computer"? Again you can't just can't delete disks or format disks on another machine. The disks need to be erased.to use on another machine.

This is a difference between deleting, formatting and erasing. There is also a difference between using a 'mastered' and a 'Live File' format. only a live file format, can you delete or format the disks.

There is also a difference between closing and finalizing a disk. If a disk is finalized files cannot be appended. The disk needs to be erased.

Sounds like you disks have either been 'mastered' or 'finalized' they need to be erased to be used again.

Rewritable CDs/DVDs are not like Flash sticks, floppy disks, or harddives. where you can easiy drag and drop files to them, delete files, or format them. It's a lot more complicated.

Erasing rewritable disks always return them to a like 'new' state,

Thanks. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing. I had my resident expert have a look, and he couldn't figure it out either. When I load a DVD into the slot it's not even recognised by "My Computer", so I suspect there is something seriously wrong.

As others have suggested, I shall just use DVD-R and chuck them after use.

FYI - I am using Windows XP. The software is Vuse+, the DVD-RWs were variously SONY 4.7 GB

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing. I had my resident expert have a look, and he couldn't figure it out either. When I load a DVD into the slot it's not even recognised by "My Computer", so I suspect there is something seriously wrong.

As others have suggested, I shall just use DVD-R and chuck them after use.

FYI - I am using Windows XP. The software is Vuse+, the DVD-RWs were variously SONY 4.7 GB

Thanks everyone for your input.

Okay thanks for this info. Vuze is primarily a Bit-torrent client. Although the plus version allows you to burn the downloads to a DVD, it doesn't appear to have much support for erasing or appending to RW disks. At least, I couldn't see any information about it on their web sites.Since Windows explorer (My computer) does not recognize the disk, you can't use Windows to erase the disk. Again it's because of limited support.

Although you could deal with these disks if you had a full feature CD/DVD burner, which there are plenty to chose from. But that would be too complicated for you. I couldn't find a simple easy-to-use program that would integrate into Vuse that give you some more tools to work with RW disks, But I did find this simple program, Active@ DVD Eraser (Freeware), to erase the disks for you.

You should be able to erase the disk even though it does not appear in 'My Computer, unless the disk is physically damaged. Once you erase the disks you can use them in Vuse+ as a new unused disk.

I hope this helps.

Edited by BB1950