Looking To Live In Koh Lanta For 6-8 Months

dbrisinda

My wife and daughter were looking at moving to Koh Lanta beginning in Sept. - October, 2011 for about 6-8 months. I was also interested in doing a Dive Master certification while there. We would be looking for a 2 bedroom home in a quiet location. Any recommendations for good family-friendly locations in Koh Lanta? Also, what sort of monthly prices would we be looking at, assuming we could set up a lease for 6+ months?

Thanks for any info.

I know some people that have a house up above Klong Nin, seems there are some other homes up there for rent. It's sort of upscale though so I think they wouldn't go for anything under 30,000thb per month.

Finding a rental via the internet is going to mean agent fees, you want to avoid that markup if you can. Possible for you to travel ahead of your family and suss out a place and then have them join? I'd say a comfortable two bedroom with most modern conveniences can be done for 20,000thb a month. Be sure to check the water heaters in the bathrooms for circuit breakers and quality wiring. Have some problems here regarding that.

Locations, Khlong Nin as mentioned, Kantiang is very nice and quiet, those would be my first couple of suggestions. Cheers, GOM

If you are looking at doing your DM certification, you might want to find a place close to where you are doing that. Also depends if you have a car or bike too. If not you want to stay somewhere you can be really close to to walk, as high season taxi prices went nuts this year when the thai mafia came to town (but have left again now thankfuly, but am pretty sure they will be back).

Small places can be found in Saladan, Nai Rai and on the back road to Old Town also. You can sometimes get a good deal on Lanta Mountain as a lot of people rent out up there.

Most of Lanta is family friendly, just make sure you are not near a backpacker bar or one of the establishments with Fairy Lights or too close to a venue like Marlin Rock pub, which will keep the family awake and not so nice to be near at night.

Most dive shops operate out of Saladan, but a few run out of Kantiang in high season (Oct-April/May).

You can also find a good guesthouse to rent by the month first and go from there.

October is a good time of year to go as many places starting to open up again after low season.

Good luck and enjoy

: )

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks everyone for your helpful info. Our plans changed suddenly, but it looks like renting in Koh Lanta may be an option again in Sept./Oct. of 2012. Probably will be looking at a 12 month lease. I'll keep all the suggestions in mind. Thanks again.