Disaster Office Issues Thunderstorm, Landslide Warning For 18 Provinces

george

Disaster office issues thunderstorm, landslide warning for 18 provinces

phuket-1-10258UniXImFILPcqavbknkoRyAUNFK.jpg

A Thai MET weather map showing the low-pressure system

in the South China Sea heading into Thailand at 7am today.

Image: Thai Meteorological Dept

PHUKET: -- The Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM), Viboon Sanguanpong, today issued a warning for 18 provinces ahead of expected heavy thunderstorms.

The warning urged people to exercise extra caution tomorrow as heavy rains could cause flash flooding, strong winds, and landslides.

The warning was likely issued ahead of a low-pressure system from the South China Sea making landfall and crossing into Thailand today.

In addition to Phuket, the alert was issued for Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi, and Trang provinces as well as Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun and Uttaradit.

Mr Viboon advised people living in risk areas to secure loose agricultural, garden and yard items as well as anything else that might “blow away or be damaged”.

He reminded people there were many disaster warning signs to look out for, such as water in streams changing color to match mountain soil, which is often a warning of an impending flash flood.

Other warning signs he noted included panicked animal cries and calls coming from the forest, rainfall lasting longer than six hours; rainfall exceeding 100 millimeters and river water levels rapidly rising.

Small trees and logs flowing downstream were also identified as possible warnings of natural disasters, he noted.

Despite the DDPM alert, the Southern Meteorological Center (West Coast) of the Meteorological Department, based in Phuket, gave as its 24-hour forecast from 5pm today as only scattered thundershowers covering about 30% of the southern region’s west coast, with Phuket and Krabi expected at only 10%.

According to the Phuket MET’s forecast, winds are expected to be between 10 to 35kph, and wave heights one meter high, rising to two meters in thunderstorm areas.

In the event of disaster, people are urged to call the 24-hour “disaster line” Tel: 1784.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-05-03

"He reminded people there were many disaster warning signs to look out for, ... panicked animal cries and calls coming from the forest, ..."

Mr Viboon Sanguanpong does not seem to know that there are no animals left in the forests of northern Thailand, except domestic cows. At this moment the cows have not been moved to the mountains yet.

"He reminded people there were many disaster warning signs to look out for, ... panicked animal cries and calls coming from the forest, ..."

Mr Viboon Sanguanpong does not seem to know that there are no animals left in the forests of northern Thailand, except domestic cows. At this moment the cows have not been moved to the mountains yet.

Panicked animal cries and calls coming from the forest?

We hear this all the time down our way.

This is mostly some of the lads having a sex and drugged fuelled rave with some of the local lasses.

I thought the Similans were closed now until November?

Yes, they have just closed the Similans a few days early due to 5 metre waves. My wife just came back from a trip to the South that was supposed to include a trip to the Similans on Saturday that was cancelled after she already arrived in Phuket.

Believe me one metre isn't comfortable especially if you aren't used to boats...Will be surprised if the skipper sails in them conditions!

I have a boat trip to the Similians on Thursday but I think a one metre wave is not so much.

Small logs floating down stream lol. We get that on a weekly basis in the monsoon season. Sometimes daily, as the small stream behind the house becomes a raging torrent.

Yes, they have just closed the Similans a few days early due to 5 metre waves. My wife just came back from a trip to the South that was supposed to include a trip to the Similans on Saturday that was cancelled after she already arrived in Phuket.

Similan Islands are officially closed but several operators still run into May. There are certainly no 5 meter waves. Dive conditions are still very nice at the moment. Looks like today will be hot and sunny with some rain, which is the normal weather just at the time of year when seasons are switching. Wind doesn't know which way to blow this week... by next week I think we'll have a real SW wind blowing.

Some comments seem to me to be a bit nonchalant or a little ho-hum :ermm:

I would like to say that by the weather map provided the isobars are quite close together showing a potential violent storm a clash of warm wet air with high clouds with cool wet air.

I grew up in the country 50 miles to the closest town and learned early to read the weather with out a TV :o

1. Halo around the sun rain within 24 hours

2, Red ant mounds being built in a cone shape 3 or 4 inches higher than normal rain in 12 hours or less

3. Many Ant colonies moving away from streams of rivers rain in 8 hours or less.

4. If you keep animals in a shelter look at the rafters or ceilings if there are an unusual clusters of common house flies rain in 4hours or less.

5. If you have cows nearby they will all be facing the same direction, they turn their backs to approaching rain storms. Rain imminent with in the hour.

Falash flood ? If you live in the country side you will smell it, it has a scent of fresh dirt,

Now back to the map look again the whole line is noted to be stalled or slow moving a high potential for flooding. :(

:P Small logs, stream changing color too dang late to run look for higher ground.

Last word do not be complacent about rain storms this year be over cautious in the past 4 months there have been major floods in Indonesia, Philippines, Australia and China. This La Nina spring weather has been unusually violent. 27 Major tornadoes in America and a twin water spout in Hawaii today. :jap:

Official closed and still not closed??????Thai style.whistling.gif

Similan Islands are officially closed but several operators still run into May. There are certainly no 5 meter waves. Dive conditions are still very nice at the moment. Looks like today will be hot and sunny with some rain, which is the normal weather just at the time of year when seasons are switching. Wind doesn't know which way to blow this week... by next week I think we'll have a real SW wind blowing.

Really, well lets hope the one meter wave you get is not to close to the next one meter wave. In deep water with a long swell one meter is nothing. But inshore that one meter wave is a different animal, it can be very unpleasant.

I have a boat trip to the Similians on Thursday but I think a one metre wave is not so much.

And just to add one meter is measured from the middle of the troff.ermm.gif Edited by a99az

I grew up in the City and soon learned to read the signs for the weather, being 50 miles from the nearest country.

1 Rain drops around the lamp fittings, too late - already been a down pour.

2 Ice creams being piled up into cone shapes gonna be a heat wave.

3 Ants moving away from the parks and rivers - somebody dropped that ice cream in the heatwave.

4 If you notice any flies gathering up in the roof of the car it's time to clean it yourself and stop hoping for your wife to do it on a sunny day.

5 If you have a cow, what's wrong with a dog or cat? OK, the manure's free, but will there be enough rain to take care of the rest of the garden?

6 Small logs and water changing colour usually means grandpa blocked the toilet again and should be put out in the rain.

7 Remember, do not be complacent as Nina can be violent when she springs. Twenty seven Majors suffered torn a-holes and incy wincy is somewhere in Hawai doing the impossible with twins and a water spout.

I have never seen the inside of any Hi-so bars.

Stay safe out there.

Current conditions and weather forecast, province by province:

http://weather.thaivisa.com

Just one note about Thaivisa weather: it is almost always wrong. I don't know where you pickup these info, but rain was announced yesterday, today, and the next day in Pattaya and we have a beautiful weather.

Everytime I check Thaivisa weather it is totally off, while when I check the Thai official meteo center here: http://www2.tmd.go.th/program/nwp_pro/UMtoGrADS/ they are always right.

Current conditions and weather forecast, province by province:

http://weather.thaivisa.com

Just one note about Thaivisa weather: it is almost always wrong. I don't know where you pickup these info, but rain was announced yesterday, today, and the next day in Pattaya and we have a beautiful weather.

Everytime I check Thaivisa weather it is totally off, while when I check the Thai official meteo center here: http://www2.tmd.go.t..._pro/UMtoGrADS/ they are always right.

Right outside of Bangkok. Huge downpours going on, lightening storms, some wind. Happy, now?

Just a small report from approximately 50 km. north of Phitsanulok city.

The local radio did send out warnings yesterday about possible thunderstorms. But the day passed on as any other day for the last couple of weeks with a small breeze, partly clouded and extremely hot and humid. When the sun went down with still no signs of thunderstorms, we thought we were clear.

That change around 19.30.

It's pretty flat out here, and when heavy rain is coming we get a warning in advance with a drop in temperature and increased wind.

But not this time. Wind, thunder, lightning and very heavy rain came instantly. It lasted only 10-15 minutes and then stopped just as instantly as it started.

Usually when you see a thunderstorm coming or going at night, you can see it moving from one direction to another. This one was very different. There wasn't a wind moving around our house but everywhere around us the horisont was lit by constant lightning. I have never seen anything like that before. Quite spectacular view.

It was pretty obvious that it would hit our house at some time, so we moved all loose items from the terrasse and outdoor kitchen into the house and secured doors and windows.

A little after 21 o'clock it hit us. First very heavy wind coming in bursts in changing directions. A few minutes later thunder, lightning and rain hitting the house allmost horizontally. We grabbed the last items and went indoors. 15 minutes later we lost electricity

When I fell asleep around 23 o'clock the wind had slown down a bit, but it was still raining heavily. Electricity came back around 3 o'clock.

This morning the weather was back to normal, and we could start to inspect the damages.

A big hole from a coconut in the barns roof, broken branches on some of the big trees, a few smaller trees ripped out of the ground, all the bananaplants look pretty sorry, our orchidshade and vegetable shade is completely destroied and then there's debris everywhere.

Fortunately my wife has harvested here ricefields during the last to weeks, so we have no economic loss besides a new roofplate for the barn and new net for the shades.

For the ricefarmes out here who haven't harvested yet, this is a disaster. Today their rice is lying flat to the ground and is covered with rainwater. Most of their previous harvest was lost to the Brown Plant Hopper plague and the harvest before that to severe floodings..

That's it for now I must be back to work.

It will take a few days work before our land looks normal again.

P5056661.jpg

Edited by tormok

Similan Island will be closed from 1st May till 1st November of each year due to monsoon period. The best time I would advice you is during November till April period. Thay way you will be able to enjoy the weather and the beach more. However, you may visit some other area near by like Mo Koh Surin which you can do diving and snorkeling. Also there is Sri-Phanga National Park where you can enjoy waterfall.