Aeon Atms Are Charging 150 Baht !

did 3 more withdrawals from AEON atms in chumphon and Ubon Rachathani since my last post. No 150 baht charge, and as usual, exchange rate beat the best thailand bank TT exchange rate by about 7 satang.:D

I have not tested the 40000 limit yet. I've done 30000 no problem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATED 08/06

Wife as asked went to same ATM yesterday 07/06

Across front of screen is A4 Sheet informing all and sundry that this machine charges 150 Baht.

TIT.

Must be the only one in the country,

Take a photo of it, and the page. :)

Yes will tell her to take pic on camera phone next time they go Big C

"In Thailand, a standard fee is 150 THB (USD 5.00 (approx)). The exception is the atms of the AEON company, not technically a bank but a finance company, they have branches in most major malls and the use is free (including foreign cards)."

-Wikipedia-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now, thanks to Mrs. Chivas, we know this is not true.

For WHATEVER reason my card was charged.

My experience with AEON is there has not yet been any fees generated. I use AEON several times every month. My conclusion is that you are being charged a fee as some kind of karmic payback.

I just got the following reply to an enquiry I made about the location of the Aeon ATM in Central Pinklao:

"It's not in Central Pinklao. You can find it on the 4th. floor of the Tesco Lotus, near Central Pinklao. When you use the ATM, choose the Thai version. If you use the English interface, it will hit you with THB150. Using the Thai interface you can withdraw up to 7,000 Baht using only your pin number. If more than that, then it will show you, in Thai, a menu: Checking, credit card, savings, balance. You can withdraw several times the 7,000 Baht as long as your account limit is up to par. No charges doing this way."

Anyone have any comments?

You got that information from whom???

That info doesn't match with any of my experience with AEON ATMs....

Including, I'd presume almost everyone here uses the English menu when accessing AEON ATMs, and none of us are paying a 150 baht withdrawal fee.

Including, I'd presume almost everyone here uses the English menu when accessing AEON ATMs, and none of us are paying a 150 baht withdrawal fee.

Look at my posting titled "Aeon Atm Central Pinklao" in this forum, and the reply from pisico.

Alan

Pisico's post in the other thread is simply wrong, and has no basis in reality..

Look at my posting titled "Aeon Atm Central Pinklao" in this forum, and the reply from pisico.

Alan

I used the AEON ATM at the Ocean Towers II building which is near the corner of Asoke and where Sukhumvit Soi 19 curves into it on Monday. There were no fees from AEON; and for those who have said that AEON gives lower exchange rates to make up for the non-fees, I can honestly say that I have done the math and also checked the rates at some of the larger banks like Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank and found that the rate I received was on par with what they were offering.

So if you have to use your debit/check card from your homeland account at a local ATM, then AEON is the only way to go as long as you're reasonably close to one. (Luckily I was close to this one.) The savings aren't enough to make it worth your while if you have to go too far out of your way to find one. There aren't many of them.

I just got the following reply to an enquiry I made about the location of the Aeon ATM in Central Pinklao:

"It's not in Central Pinklao. You can find it on the 4th. floor of the Tesco Lotus, near Central Pinklao. When you use the ATM, choose the Thai version. If you use the English interface, it will hit you with THB150. Using the Thai interface you can withdraw up to 7,000 Baht using only your pin number. If more than that, then it will show you, in Thai, a menu: Checking, credit card, savings, balance. You can withdraw several times the 7,000 Baht as long as your account limit is up to par. No charges doing this way."

Anyone have any comments?

I've just returned from Tesco Lotus, and I took 5,000 baht from the Aeon ATM on the forth floor, with my UK credit card, using the English menu, and I was not charged 150 baht.

Alan

i use english menu also. Never got charged with 150 baht fee, and the exchange rate is the best as always. I've been to 7 different Aeon ATMs in 3 different provinces.

This is another unfortunate example of where the big headline of the thread simply is FALSE....

AEON ATMs don't charge the 150 baht withdrawal fee that Thai bank ATMs do...

And continuing reports from TV members here, including myself, attest to that.

• 4 months later...

Not good news. Has anyone tried with a Visa ATM card from the US and been hit with this fee?

I have unfortunatly. I have been getting hit with the $5 from AEON at Carefour here in Patttaya ever since they installed a new machine about 5 months ago. this is over and bove the international transaction fee's my bank chages me. When I use that card I usually take out a large amount as many people do and the machine is often out of service. No biggie as there are better and less costly ways to move money around.

i use HSBC UK visa card & DBS Singapore Mastercard at this and the other two Aeon locations

there is no 150 charge levied by Aeon up to yesterday

HSBC charges £5 on a £300 daily limit withdrawal 14,000-15,000 baht (robbing b****)

DBS charges SG$5 on a withdrawal up to the machines capacity of 40,000 baht on a SG$2000 a day limit

these bank charges have not changed for 3 years

if you use a SCB Bank card overseas in an ATM, they will charge the account 100 baht per transaction for the privilege

so i think maybe its some additional bank charges levied on your account that you are talking about not Aeons........

If you get back to the UK look at Metrobank ( London area only at the moment ) There are no foreign withdrawal charges. metrobank-online.co.uk

I also go inside the bank with my passport to avoid the 150 bts ATM charge ( I also get free cup of tea whilst I wait ).

Not good news. Has anyone tried with a Visa ATM card from the US and been hit with this fee?

I have unfortunatly. I have been getting hit with the $5 from AEON at Carefour here in Patttaya ever since they installed a new machine about 5 months ago. this is over and bove the international transaction fee's my bank chages me. When I use that card I usually take out a large amount as many people do and the machine is often out of service. No biggie as there are better and less costly ways to move money around.

i use HSBC UK visa card & DBS Singapore Mastercard at this and the other two Aeon locations

there is no 150 charge levied by Aeon up to yesterday

HSBC charges £5 on a £300 daily limit withdrawal 14,000-15,000 baht (robbing b****)

DBS charges SG$5 on a withdrawal up to the machines capacity of 40,000 baht on a SG$2000 a day limit

these bank charges have not changed for 3 years

if you use a SCB Bank card overseas in an ATM, they will charge the account 100 baht per transaction for the privilege

so i think maybe its some additional bank charges levied on your account that you are talking about not Aeons........

If you get back to the UK look at Metrobank ( London area only at the moment ) There are no foreign withdrawal charges. metrobank-online.co.uk

I also go inside the bank with my passport to avoid the 150 bts ATM charge ( I also get free cup of tea whilst I wait ).

If you go into the bank, you might avoid any ATM charges. However you will pay a quite a bit more, due to the poor exchange rate the bank will offer you.

You can look up VISA and MC daily interbank exchange rates on the internet. Compare that next time to what the bank provided you with. Then you can then calculate the cost of sipping your "free" cup of tea. ;)

As for the topic on surcharges by AEON. Still haven't been hit by one, using my U.S. VISA debit card either at the south or central Pattaya locations.

Go to Bangkok Bank and take out 25,000. 150 on top of 25k is really not worth worrying about...

As a one off, the 150 Baht fee is nothing to worry about.

However if you do this 3-4 times a month, it adds up over a year.

So if the fee can be avoided, why pay for it?

There are other ways to get around the fee as well, e.g. there are some issuing banks that credit these withdrawal fees.