Grey Bacon ?

Boyce

Hello forum,

I bought some bacon brine mix, but the only thing is that the bacon comes out a Grey colour is there to much salt in the mix, can i add something to the wet brine mix to stop the bacon going grey.

Thanks

Boyce

boyce what did the bacon taste like and where did you get the mix please.

i bought the mix froma company in bangkok , the bacon after 4 days they recomend 3 days ,in the brine mix was grey and still tasted like pork chops, as it was a loin i put into the brine mix

boyce what did the bacon taste like and where did you get the mix please.

i bought the mix froma company in bangkok , the bacon after 4 days they recomend 3 days ,in the brine mix was grey and still tasted like pork chops, as it was a loin i put into the brine mix

thanks for that i will stick to old fashion brine,i love brawn exspecially with pork being cheap[was] do you make any.

As NanaFoods says the reason it's grey is usually due to not having enough nitrite in the cure.

But even without nitrite it should still taste of bacon, you can make bacon with just salt but it just wouldn't have the appealing pink colour or keep quite as long. I've never done bacon in brine, I always dry-cure bacon, but I know mass produced bacon that's brine cured is injected with the brine as well as left to soak. Did you inject it first? Compared to dry-curing 3 days isn't very long to cure it properly, but this is the reason they inject it. How big was the peice of pork loin? When curing a ham in brine I always go by 1 day per kilo of meat, but obviously a ham is generally much thicker than a loin.

Can I ask why are you brine-curing rather than dry-curing? Most people who like to cure bacon at home dry-cure. Although it takes longer, I find it's actually easier and takes a lot less space in the fridge, and dry-cured bacon is so much nicer!

Dry-curing is simple. Its just 30g nitrite salt and 15g sugar per kilo of meat (plus herbs if you want too and add more sugar if you like a sweet cure). Rub the meat with the salt mix, place in a tray and cover. Turn each day until cured (8 days per inch). Wash off under a tap, dry with a cloth and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. The next day slice a few rashers for breakfast.

Edited by theseahorse

i use a wet cure always,1kilo pork, 200gms non-iodized salt,2tbl.sp.white suger,1tbl,brown suger,black peppercorns,cloves,1pc.cinn.stick,enough water to cover the meat,boil all the ingre.for 10mins,leve to cool,pour the brine over the meat,cover and leave for 2days,wash and leave uncoved overnight in fridge,i usually part freeze it so its easy to slice make sure when cureing you use a non-metalic container,i always keep the brine a day or two and use it for corned-beef.

i use a wet cure always,1kilo pork, 200gms non-iodized salt,2tbl.sp.white suger,1tbl,brown suger,black peppercorns,cloves,1pc.cinn.stick,enough water to cover the meat,boil all the ingre.for 10mins,leve to cool,pour the brine over the meat,cover and leave for 2days,wash and leave uncoved overnight in fridge,i usually part freeze it so its easy to slice make sure when cureing you use a non-metalic container,i always keep the brine a day or two and use it for corned-beef.

When you use it for corned beef,what color does it come out?

:ermm:

As NanaFoods says the reason it's grey is usually due to not having enough nitrite in the cure.

But even without nitrite it should still taste of bacon, you can make bacon with just salt but it just wouldn't have the appealing pink colour or keep quite as long. I've never done bacon in brine, I always dry-cure bacon, but I know mass produced bacon that's brine cured is injected with the brine as well as left to soak. Did you inject it first? Compared to dry-curing 3 days isn't very long to cure it properly, but this is the reason they inject it. How big was the peice of pork loin? When curing a ham in brine I always go by 1 day per kilo of meat, but obviously a ham is generally much thicker than a loin.

Can I ask why are you brine-curing rather than dry-curing? Most people who like to cure bacon at home dry-cure. Although it takes longer, I find it's actually easier and takes a lot less space in the fridge, and dry-cured bacon is so much nicer!

Dry-curing is simple. Its just 30g nitrite salt and 15g sugar per kilo of meat (plus herbs if you want too and add more sugar if you like a sweet cure). Rub the meat with the salt mix, place in a tray and cover. Turn each day until cured (8 days per inch). Wash off under a tap, dry with a cloth and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. The next day slice a few rashers for breakfast.

This is my first try at it , i will try the dry cure method next.

Good question.

i dont take much notice its goes to quick yumeeee, a nice pink in the middle. soak the meat one weak,wash and refridge overnight,cover cold water boil and simmer/lid on with some cellery and a onion.i also add some more spices to the brine,freh ginger,nutmeg,dried chilli and some garlic. simmering time 2hrs.30min.per.kilo.i use thai premium beef sirlion tops supermarket.

I also wet cure bacon. Mine too ends up grey after cooking. It does taste like bacon though.

To get the pink colour you must have Sodium Nitrate(Salt Peter).

I don't use this. It is basically an explosive. Also is is more leathal, cancer wise, than MSG.

I also wet cure bacon. Mine too ends up grey after cooking. It does taste like bacon though.

To get the pink colour you must have Sodium Nitrate(Salt Peter).

I don't use this. It is basically an explosive. Also is is more leathal, cancer wise, than MSG.

It's actually Soduim Nitrite you need. Soduim Nitrate is used in cured meats that are left to age afterards as it is a slow release version of nitrite.

As I mentioned before it's not really needed, but it will give your bacon a good pink colour and helps preserve the meat so it lasts longer.

Yes, soduim nitrate/ potassium nitrate is used in gunpowder and large doses have been shown to be a carcenagenic, but when used properly you use such a small amount in curing meats it's not worth even thinking about (about 2g per kilo). You consume more potassium when eating spinach than you do with eating bacon. If you eat so much bacon that you need to worry about the salt peter in it you should be more worried about the fat and salt content in your diet. That will kill you long before a tiny amount of potassuim nitrite.

It is true that it's more 'leathal' than MSG. But this is probably due to MSG is relatively harmless natural product and potasuim nitrate is used in gunpowder. As food additives, both are harmless when used correctly and eaten in a balanced diet!

Dry-curing is simple. Its just 30g nitrite salt and 15g sugar per kilo of meat (plus herbs if you want too and add more sugar if you like a sweet cur). Rub the meat with the salt mix, place in a tray and cover. Turn each day until cured (8 days per inch). Wash off under a tap, dry with a cloth and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. The next day slice a few rashers for breakfast.

When you write "nitrite salt", I'm assuming you mean what is also called Prague Powder #1. This is a mixture of 6.25% Sodium Nitrite

and 93.75% salt (Sodium Chloride). 30 grams of pure sodium nitrite per 1 kilo of meat in a cure could kill someone. This stuff can stop your heart. I'm sure you know this but someone new to curing might not.

Dry-curing is simple. Its just 30g nitrite salt and 15g sugar per kilo of meat (plus herbs if you want too and add more sugar if you like a sweet cur). Rub the meat with the salt mix, place in a tray and cover. Turn each day until cured (8 days per inch). Wash off under a tap, dry with a cloth and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. The next day slice a few rashers for breakfast.

When you write "nitrite salt", I'm assuming you mean what is also called Prague Powder #1. This is a mixture of 6.25% Sodium Nitrite

and 93.75% salt (Sodium Chloride). 30 grams of pure sodium nitrite per 1 kilo of meat in a cure could kill someone. This stuff can stop your heart. I'm sure you know this but someone new to curing might not.

Thanks. Yes, you're correct I do mean what is known in the US as Prague Powder #1. In Europe the pre mixed salt was always called Nitrite Salt or Nitrite Curing Salt, where as Sodium Nitrite was called.. er Sodium Nitrite. That's what I see here in Thailand too. I can see how that might confuse some people though, sorry.

Edited by theseahorse

Thanks. Yes, you're correct I do mean what is known in the US as Prague Powder #1. In Europe the pre mixed salt was always called Nitrite Salt or Nitrite Curing Salt, where as Sodium Nitrite was called.. er Sodium Nitrite. That's what I see here in Thailand too. I can see how that might confuse some people though, sorry.

Having just read through your comment again I just noticed the percentage of Nitrite in the American cure Prague Powder #1 is 6.75%. This is much stronger than the European cures. Nitrite Salt is only 0.6% Soduim Nitrite.

I don't mean Prague Powder or Soduim Nitrite, I do mean Nitrite salt as I originally put. If you use Prague Powder #1 it's only 2.5g per Kilo of meat and I'm guessing you need to add salt too.

Edited by theseahorse

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got hold of some liquid smoke.

I have a kg of pork loin that has been in wet cure for 4 days and is now ready for smoking.

So how much liquid smoke do I need to use and for how long? What is the process? Just pour it over and leave the bacon to stand?

Sorry to sound totally ignorant but I've never used it before.

Thanks

I have a kg of pork loin that has been in wet cure for 4 days and is now ready for smoking.

So how much liquid smoke do I need to use and for how long? What is the process? Just pour it over and leave the bacon to stand?

Thanks

interesting let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Boyce

Thanks

must be that stuff they smoke haddock/cod, i wanna know toooo,wok smoking takes to long.

Thanks

Thanks

interesting let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Boyce

Any news on the liquid smoke how did it go ?

Thanks

Usually liquid smoke is used in the brine so it can soak in.

Again, time depends on the the thickness of the loin... 4-days seems short.

Liquid smoke doesn't produce quite the same flavor as traditionally smoked meats - but is convenient if one is averse to using cure, and IMHO seems to work fine for salami. Note: do not smoke meat in a tradition way if the meat is uncured.

Thanks

Usually liquid smoke is used in the brine so it can soak in.

Again, time depends on the the thickness of the loin... 4-days seems short.

Liquid smoke doesn't produce quite the same flavor as traditionally smoked meats - but is convenient if one is averse to using cure, and IMHO seems to work fine for salami. Note: do not smoke meat in a tradition way if the meat is uncured.

I suppose if you pre-sliced the meat, the brine and flavorings would soak in rather quickly.... never tried it, but seems like it might help if no cure is being used, and brining for a short period.. It might be more difficult to control the salt level, though... perhaps a quick rinse after brining might suffice. ... a bit of trial and error might be needed to work things out....

• 3 weeks later...

Just had some nice smoked streaky bacon courtesy of the liquid smoke my mate sent over from Canada.

Wasn't too sure how it was going to turn out so only made 500g.

500g of pork belly

5oz of salt

1 oz of sugar

1/2 cinnamon stick

1 teaspoon of black peppercorns.

1/2(ish) teaspoon of liquid smoke.

enough water to cover the meat( about a litre).

Left it in the bottom of the fridge for 5 days. Took it out and cleaned it. Put it in the freezer for an hour to harden it up for easy cutting.

I usually like my bacon just done but in this instance the aroma of smokey bacon was getting stronger as I cooked it so I waited until the fat was crispy. Lovely.

By the way....does anyone know where to get a half decent meat slicer at a good price. I have seen them in Makro but they want 17000baht for one with only an 8 inch blade. That seems very expensive, especially as I won't be using it that often.

Having just read through your comment again I just noticed the percentage of Nitrite in the American cure Prague Powder #1 is 6.75%. This is much stronger than the European cures. Nitrite Salt is only 0.6% Soduim Nitrite.

I don't mean Prague Powder or Soduim Nitrite, I do mean Nitrite salt as I originally put. If you use Prague Powder #1 it's only 2.5g per Kilo of meat and I'm guessing you need to add salt too.

I believe Morton's Tender Quick is similar to what you are describing as European - it contains full salt (as well as a bit of dextrose, I think). Just measure as you would the salt.

Prague and Instacure are more concentrated and not be used as the salt.

• 1 month later...

I have just found some Potassium Nitrate. I found out from one of the villagers that it is used by sausage makers here to keep the meat red/pink after cooking.

I have done some quite extensive research care of our friend Google and it seems that if used correctly then there are no problems.

Apparently if you eat 60 pounds of cured meat in one sitting then you may die!!!!!

In Thai it is called ดินประสิว. "din pbra siw".

I paid 190baht for 450 grams. At 2 grams per kilo of meat should last for a long time.

• 11 months later...

I have just found some Potassium Nitrate. I found out from one of the villagers that it is used by sausage makers here to keep the meat red/pink after cooking.

I have done some quite extensive research care of our friend Google and it seems that if used correctly then there are no problems.

Apparently if you eat 60 pounds of cured meat in one sitting then you may die!!!!!

I paid 190baht for 450 grams. At 2 grams per kilo of meat should last for a long time.

where did you buy from

i would be intersted in buying some where did you get it .thumbsup.gif

Is your nitrate for bacon? Bacon should really be cured with nitrite, not nitrate. It is illegal in the west to use nitrates in bacon.

It is possible to cure with Nitrate and people have done it for centuries, but it is much harder as there are too many variables (temperature/ bacteria etc) for the nitrate to turn into the nitrites that will do the curing. To get a properly cured peice of meat you will find it takes much longer to cure and will often taste salty. It's one of the reasons that cured meats used to have to be soaked before use.

Is your nitrate for bacon? Bacon should really be cured with nitrite, not nitrate. It is illegal in the west to use nitrates in bacon.

It is possible to cure with Nitrate and people have done it for centuries, but it is much harder as there are too many variables (temperature/ bacteria etc) for the nitrate to turn into the nitrites that will do the curing. To get a properly cured peice of meat you will find it takes much longer to cure and will often taste salty. It's one of the reasons that cured meats used to have to be soaked before use.

i think it is still legal in europe only banned in the states