Passport

TheFishman1

Just to throw another twist into the conversation I have heard that as long as your license is in English it will be excepted in Thailand. I find it hard to believe no one with the exception of those with a Thai drivers license can drive in Thailand. It has been always somewhat of a comfort to know there were at least a few sane drivers out there due to the internationals behind the wheel!

I have lived here for 27 years.. I never had a Thai License, and I have never carried my passport or a copy.

I have NEVER needed it :)

And Auto Insurance is not a problem :)

Are you sure it's valid? Wait til you try to claim!

Sure it would be valid; assume he has an international license. From a convenience standpoint I don't really get it though, international driving licenses are a bit of a money making game, and requiring extension every year. A Thai DL you can get for 5 years at the time for really minor money. (AND it serves as ID, also for example when taking (domestic) flights, at hospitals, etc.)

Do you think a international license is valid for 27 years? :rolleyes:

Edited by Semper

I have lived here for 27 years.. I never had a Thai License, and I have never carried my passport or a copy.

I have NEVER needed it :)

And Auto Insurance is not a problem :)

Are you sure it's valid? Wait til you try to claim!

Sure it would be valid; assume he has an international license. From a convenience standpoint I don't really get it though, international driving licenses are a bit of a money making game, and requiring extension every year. A Thai DL you can get for 5 years at the time for really minor money. (AND it serves as ID, also for example when taking (domestic) flights, at hospitals, etc.)

Do you think a international license is valid for 27 years? :rolleyes:

No. See text in red. I also increased it in size just in case.

Extra added plus to a Thai driver's license -- the ones issued in CM province have three really cute little pandas in the lower right corner. The ones from other provinces have other stuff -- I've seen one from Lampun; it has some sort of really boring fruit.

Also you can use your TDL to easily get senior citizen discounts at the Central Airport Plaza movie theater. They all know where to look on the TDL for the magic ID number they need for their form on the clipboard. Otherwise, if you just try to show them your obviously over-age-60 face, they go into deer-in-the-headlights-mode because they don't have a magic number to put on their form.

I think technically you are supposed to have it with you at all times.. That being said, I've found it beneficial not to have it with me. If questioned, "its at the hotel" will get you out of a problem or two.....

Agree with above but I do carry around my Thai drivers license. Some ID would be a good idea.

Thai drivers license has your Passport information on it. I have not carried my passport in years

Edited by NancyL

A good colour photocopy, shrunk down to credit card size and laminated, of your passport facepage.

Reverse side copy of current visa extension or visa.

Stick it behind Thai DL in your wallet.

Been doing this for years, and never been asked, yet.

Passport stays locked in my safe, where it properly belongs.:coffee1:

Ditto. Very handy for bank business, hotels, et cetera.

Edited by Mapguy

Got asked for my passport by police today!!

First time in my life. ;)

This was in Bangkok, but still. Didn't have my passport with me (I considered bringing it actually going out the door as it's Bangkok which is scam-city, AND I'm way more likely to get into trouble in Bangkok and once in trouble it'd likely be good to be able to demonstrate I'm in the country legally.)

Anyway I just produced my Thai driver's license. (Which of course doesn't show that you're legal; I could be on months overstay). Still that did the job. Police dude asks me in Thai if I work for an embassy, or if I'm a teacher. I just shake my head at both guesses, and strike a look exactly between bemused and amused. At that point another police guy mentions it's a Thai license, meaning I'm clearly not a total newbie and they redirect their attention to some newbier-looking people. (Some russian tourists who actually had bags).

Good that they didn't search me because I had all kinds of drugs in my pockets. Producing my shiny new Bummygrad(*) patient card may have cleared that one up.

(*) Going with the "Bangkok Expatriate" pronunciation here.

A good colour photocopy, shrunk down to credit card size and laminated, of your passport facepage.

Reverse side copy of current visa extension or visa.

Stick it behind Thai DL in your wallet.

Been doing this for years, and never been asked, yet.

Passport stays locked in my safe, where it properly belongs.:coffee1:

i have a laminated credit card size of the main passport page and extention of stay at the rear. Also carry Thai drivers licence which is all l usually need