Muslim men removed from U.S. flight after pilot refuses to fly them

News_Editor

Muslim men removed from U.S. flight after pilot refuses to fly them

2011-05-08 02:36:48 GMT+7 (ICT)

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA (BNO NEWS) -- Two Muslim religious leaders were removed from an Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight on Friday after they were told the pilot refused to fly them.

Masudur Rahman and Mohamed Zaghloul were supposed to travel on Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight 5452 from Memphis, Tennessee to Charlotte, North Carolina on Friday morning. They were traveling to attend a conference of the North American Imam Federation to address prejudice against Muslims.

"The pilot said I have to go back to the gate again. We were very cooperative and said, 'it is okay.' They checked our luggage. They checked our everything," Rahman told WCNC-TV. Both men were dressed in traditional long shirts and have beards.

"Then the pilot said, 'no, no, no. I'm not taking them'," Rahman explained to the Charlotte-based TV station, adding that he would have undergone another security check if asked. "We are Americans. We are living in America. We want the security of America," he said.

Mo Idlibi, an attorney for the men, told reporters that they want to see better training about discrimination for pilots. "I think we can take this negative opportunity and turn it into a positive one," Idlibi said. The men are also considering a lawsuit against the airline.

In a statement, Atlantic Southeast Airlines said the men were removed from the plane for 'additional screening.' "We take security and safety very seriously, and the event is currently under investigation," the statement said, adding that compensation and re-accommodation were offered.

The number of incidents labeled as Islamophobia, which is a prejudice against Islam or Muslims, has sharply increased since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States. It was not immediately clear if Friday's incident was linked to Islamophobia.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-08

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don,t think it,s so much a prejudice against muslims as a genuine fear of getting blown out of the sky without so much as a parachute ! Let,s face it, we all love muslims, but we don,t want to get killed. Unfortunately it doesn,t seem to work the other way round. Muslims don,t like us, and they DO want to get killed !

It just goes to show the image and perception of Muslims in the world.

I do not blame pilot at all, perhaps he did not want to take a risk of being killed.

It might be time for Muslims to start promoting itself in a different light.

I don,t think it,s so much a prejudice against muslims as a genuine fear of getting blown out of the sky without so much as a parachute ! Let,s face it, we all love muslims, but we don,t want to get killed. Unfortunately it doesn,t seem to work the other way round. Muslims don,t like us, and they DO want to get killed !

Even commentator Juan Williams said that he is afraid to fly with Muslims and he is as liberal as one can be. :o

It's an unfortunate coincidence they were travelling to a conference to discuss that concocted word Islamophobia. There have been previous incidents and I suspect this may be an attempt to stop airline security staff from profiling. Airline security is a big issue due largely to Islamist fanatics so profiling is in my view right and proper. I have actually been on a flight which was delayed whilst they carried out extra security checks on a Nun who kept setting off the metal detector.

The cynic in me smells some premeditated plan and there is not information in the article from which to conclude whether the behavior of the Imans gave rise to any concern, but better safe than sorry, especially so close to the death of Bin Laden.

Well done Mr Pilot for standing up for what YOU believe in (fear of being blown up) .. after all isn't that what Muslims around the world have been doing lately i.e. standing up (or is it blowing up) for what THEY believe in.

Flame away...but for every one of you that does I'll bet there are 100 who agree with me...

Edited by KKK

The first part of the news report is quotes from the litigant - which may be suspect in its veracity.

It's more believable that the pilot requested the men go through security a 2nd time, and the men took offense at that.

Then later, the men adjusted their stories to sound make it appear they were agreeable to going through security a 2nd time, and were then victimized by (their claim) that the pilot refused to fly with them on board.

I bet if you follow this story and find what witnesses report, you'll see that the more reasonable explanation is the truthful one. Again, I find it extremely unlikely that the pilot refused to fly the two men, if they were cooperative.

I'm sorry but these imams should defintitely sue. Who took away their religious freedom and right to free speech? The airlline? The pilot? No, al Qaeda and other islamic fundamentalists. 9/11, the shoe bomber, the underwear bomber, those <deleted> in London who tried to sneak liquid explosives on board. Not only are these muslims inconvenienced, but so are untold millions across the globe regardless of race, nationality or religion for one reason and one reason only - Islamic fundamentalism.So they should sue these Islamic groups.

Edited by koheesti

Well done Mr Pilot for standing up for what YOU believe in (fear of being blown up) .. after all isn't that what Muslims around the world have been doing lately i.e. standing up (or is it blowing up) for what THEY believe in.

Flame away...but for every one of you that does I'll bet there are 100 who agree with me...

Count me #2. Lets hear from the the other 98

Israel profiles and they have a great track record of keeping their airports and planes safe.

You only have one chance at life and if i was the pilot i wouldn't fly them either, they have a failing track record as passengers on flights and i dont care if their whole religion is not to blame the whole idea of terrorisim is to cripple the community at its core and to prevent freedom of life and travel so ironic its now backfired on muslims as well so sad....... NOT!!!

Hey, these poor guys had no choice but to fly. Now it's the trains that are targeted.

I once flew on a South West Airlines flight a couple of years after 9/11. There was a group of Muslim men that got on the flight (it must have been a religious conference). They were all dressed in traditional garb with head gear and long beards. Not long before the flight left, one of them got down in the aisle and started praying. He may have answered the 'call to prayer,' but about half of us on the plane answered the 'call of nature.'

I think everyone was just too nervous to complain.

The flight was uneventful and strangely quiet. In retrospect, I doubt that people up to no good would dress in such an obvious manner and they would be less willing to sacrifice so many people.

Edited by Credo

Sorry, but I can't agree with the pilots' actions if it all went down as reported in the article.

If these men went through all the security checks, then they should have been allowed to fly. The US is a free country where freedom of religion is a basic right.

The general public is generally afraid of young black men with lots of bling and young white men with shaved heads and tattoos. (This is backed up by several studies.) So do we start banning them from flights, too? None of them has recently tried to blow up a plane, true, but many men of this demographic do violence every day.

If we continue to spiral into demonizing all things Islam, we will push many more Muslims into the camp where they believe Islam is under attack by the West and become soldiers against us.

Sorry, but I can't agree with the pilots' actions if it all went down as reported in the article.

If these men went through all the security checks, then they should have been allowed to fly. The US is a free country where freedom of religion is a basic right.

The general public is generally afraid of young black men with lots of bling and young white men with shaved heads and tattoos. (This is backed up by several studies.) So do we start banning them from flights, too? None of them has recently tried to blow up a plane, true, but many men of this demographic do violence every day.

If we continue to spiral into demonizing all things Islam, we will push many more Muslims into the camp where they believe Islam is under attack by the West and become soldiers against us.

I agree with what you say. However when Westerner is in Arab country they are forced to comply with local laws, rules, traditions and regulations. Being aware of how public perceives the "religious" islamic look, mind you created by the Muslims due to their actions worldwide, i do not see a problem but applying basic rules when in public.

France and Europe have introduced some laws in regards to that.

The other groups you mentioned such as young black men with lots of bling and young white men with shaved heads and tattoos, while they do not get thrown off the airplane, they do get stopped and checked by the police on every single occasion.

Those groups are know for street violence and are singled out on the streets. Muslims known for terror and blowing up planes, so they get singled out when on the plane.

What if they were planning to blow up the plane? i am sure the lives of 300 or so people is worth little more then embarrassment of 2.

PS. So far the only story is their story of events with no evidence to support any of what they claim.

PPS. Airline did offer compensation and accomodation

Edited by kuffki

I agree with what you say. However when Westerner is in Arab country they are forced to comply with local laws, rules, traditions and regulations. Being aware of how public perceives the "religious" islamic look, mind you created by the Muslims due to their actions worldwide, i do not see a problem but applying basic rules when in public.

The other groups you mentioned such as young black men with lots of bling and young white men with shaved heads and tattoos, while they do not get thrown off the airplane, they do get stopped and checked by the police on every single occasion.

Those groups are know for street violence and are singled out on the streets. Muslims known for terror and blowing up planes, so they get singled out when on the plane.

What if they were planning to blow up the plane? i am sure the lives of 300 or so people is worth little more then embarrassment of 2.

PS. So far the only story is their story of events with no evidence to support any of what they claim.

Agreed 100%. What I would also add is that being too PC and bending over backwards not to offend tends to result in yet more demands for a Country to modify it's rules. If there is a problem with a certain group then to ignore this problem alienates the rest of the population causing a shift to the far right as can be clearly seen in many European Countries.

As the saying goes:

Whilst the vast majority of Muslims are honest & peaceful people, the vast majority of terrorists just happen to be Muslim.

It's an unfortunate but sadly true correlation.

Perhaps it's time for the silent majority of peace loving Muslims to stand up against the radicals & extremists!

It just goes to show the image and perception of Muslims in the world.

I do not blame pilot at all, perhaps he did not want to take a risk of being killed.

It might be time for Muslims to start promoting itself in a different light.

To be correct, it shows the perception of Muslims in the eyes of the captain. His view does not represent us all.

In fact, IMO, this type of treatment of people only plays into the hands of the terrorists. Keep treating a normal law abiding citizen in this manner often enough and we shouldn't be surprised if someday he retaliates.

The fight against terrorism is tough enough without letting our blind fear/hatred turn the normal Muslim against us.

Count me in 100%

100% agree with you...

Some facts missing from the report;

1. A pilot is the sole authority as to who can be a passenger on his/her airplane. The safety and well being of all passengers on a plane is the responsibility of the pilot.

2. Passengers on the flight were getting fidgety and were complaining. This was relayed to the pilot. The pilot can argue he feared that the flight might have been disrupted as a result of passenger concerns. It doesn't matter if the passengers were in the wrong, The pilot is the ultimate authority.

3. The 2 passengers in question were disembarked for additional screening, but the flight was already late, and left without the passengers. Ground staff were apologetic to the 2 muslims. The men were offered compensation and Delta transferred them to another flight.

It is unfortunate, but in consideration of the current state of anxiety, the 2 muslims could have dressed appropriately so as to not draw attention to themselves. I am sure, we will soon be hearing comments from the passengers. If the 2 muslims were considerate of others they would have appreciated the concerns of others. I'm sure there were a few passengers ready to tackle these 2 men had they stood up in flight and made their way to the front of the plane. Removing them may have prevented an altercation.

Perhaps it's time for the silent majority of peace loving Muslims to stand up against the radicals & extremists!

The "silent majority" has never stood up against the radicals and extremists, and I doubt they ever will. They will say the right things like, "we don't support what they have done" or "most Muslims don't do that kind of thing" but they will never openly confront and put down the extremists. I also believe that the majority of Muslims think that the West is getting what they deserve. I lived in the Middle East for a lot of years and, while one has to dig to get to the truth, many Muslims feel this is the only recourse they have for what they believe is the injustice they have been dealt.