Thaksin: I'll Return At End Of Year

webfact

Prayuth, overall, did a pretty remarkable job at minimizing the loss of life while accomplishing the goal of getting the red insurrectionists out of BKK. He, along with the police, did fail in protecting property in the immediate aftermath. Personally, those that committed the acts of arson shouldn't have been given the chance and because they were deliberately risking the lives of even more Thai people should have been dealt with severely on the spot.

I think you mean Anupong.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prayuth, overall, did a pretty remarkable job at minimizing the loss of life while accomplishing the goal of getting the red insurrectionists out of BKK. He, along with the police, did fail in protecting property in the immediate aftermath. Personally, those that committed the acts of arson shouldn't have been given the chance and because they were deliberately risking the lives of even more Thai people should have been dealt with severely on the spot.

I think you mean Anupong.

Oooops I stand corrected!

(see how easy it is to admit a mistake!)

Prayuth didn't step in until October 2010 .....

Like rubl, i'm interested to know why jay describes Prayuth's start in charge as being "appalling".

Like rubl, i'm interested to know why jay describes Prayuth's start in charge as being "appalling".

I only see Jayboy when he is quoted now .... but didn't Prayuth actually make an apology regarding the handling of some things in the South like Tak Bai not too long ago?

However, we're talking about the Chulalongkorn invasion here - and I'm saying you can't really pin that one on the UDD because everyone said Payap Panket was acting on his own.

I cannot really agree with this. K. Payap may have acted without the consent of fellow UDD leaders, but led UDD members / red-shirts present during the protests, he was dressed in his regular 'protest' attire, the others didn't stop him. In my eyes that makes the UDD responsable. Keep in mind that after Dr. weng said

"“We have told them it was an inappropriate move. We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused. Some were very concerned the hospital was harboring troops,” Weng Tojirakarn told Reuters."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/31764/reds-barge-into-chula/

We apologize, but keep in mind we had to do this to calm some others. Apology my f..t

I only see Jayboy when he is quoted now .... but didn't Prayuth actually make an apology regarding the handling of some things in the South like Tak Bai not too long ago?

And following the apology how many of the army officers responsible for that set of murders have been charged ? Answers on a postcard please. A clue is that it is the same number of army officers charged with the murder of civilians in Bangkok last year.

As to Prayuth he is a man of(possible defamation edited out) with tribal loyalties.He has been frenetic in further politicizing the army, and meddling in politics. The notorious ISOC has been particularly active during his tenure.

I am very much in favour of some members (particularly the quarrelsome type) using the ignore button. I personally don't because in principle I like to consider all view points. But for some...well, let's not go there.

Edited by Scott
defamatory remark edited out

I only see Jayboy when he is quoted now ...

I am very much in favour of some members (particularly the quarrelsome type) using the ignore button.I personally don't because in principle I like to consider all view points.But for some...well, let's not go there.

I once had someone suggest I should ignore him rather than react on parts I didn't agree with. Not sure that was a good suggestion. Better someone decides on own initiative to use 'ignore'. I had some on ignore, but all but one seem to have been banned by now. phiphidon I un-ignored, still not always agree with him, but basically a reasonable chap with who discussions are possible :-)

Stay cool, grap a beer and keep smiling

I am very much in favour of some members (particularly the quarrelsome type) using the ignore button.I personally don't because in principle I like to consider all view points.But for some...well, let's not go there.

You recently stated that whether or not you provide facts/links to substantiate one of your assertions, can depend on the politeness of the member who is asking for it, and to what value you regard that individual.

Is ignoring a request from someone you deem unworthy, that much different from ignoring an opinion? I'm not sure it is.

You recently stated that whether or not you provide facts/links to substantiate one of your assertions, can depend on the politeness of the member who is asking for it, and to what value you regard that individual.

Is ignoring a request from someone you deem unworthy, that much different from ignoring an opinion? I'm not sure it is.

It was suggested by someone else (from on high so-to-speak) that I use the ignore function with a member that consistently used ad hominem attacks. I followed that person's advice .. and don't regret it :) As for posting relevant factual links etc ... totally unneeded if you are stating an opinion (and stating it is such) but claiming something is factual certainly requires proof, particularly when the facts presented are most often actually only an opinion.

Back to the topic ---- I believe Thaksin saying he will be back before the end of the year is as factual as his earlier claims of when he'd return (particularly his "when the first bullet flies" .....

I take issue with the suggestion I priggishly deem members worthy or unworthy.All members are of equal value, and actually it is absurd to think there's some sort of pecking order.

It is true I prefer not to deal with the quarrelsome, bores, one note obsessives, those who screech they have been personally dishonoured when in fact they have just lost an argument. etc.

Realistically it becomes clear over time who has analytical ability, intelligence, historical and cultural understanding, sense of balance etc.Ideally I prefer to discuss with such kindred spirits (not in political views).I actually welcome debate with those holding contrary opinions.

As far as your question on ignoring opinions, that is better addressed to those who do that.I don't.

Enough personal stuff surely, very tedious for everybody.

Edited by jayboy

Of course having met General Prayuth you must be an expert in his intelligence and loyalties....

Please give examples of the frenetic qualities he has displayed?

In exactly which instances he has politicized the military,

other than repeatedly saying he will not get into the election politics?

And on what subjects has the ISOC incorrectly been active?

If we consider that there have been a string of bombings:

including Red shirt connected bombers confessing.

Innocent people being killed at bus stops. Bombs at BJT party offices.

And including a PTP MP's mistress taking messages

and cash to someone who patently controlled and supplied in bad costume, a bomb maker, who blew himself and half a into the street.

And with the huge number of incidents concerning preserving internal security for ALL persons in Thailand, Including disagreeable posters on TVF.

I see why the ISOC has been, not just busy, but stretched to it's limits during Prayuths debutant year...

Edited by animatic

And following the apology how many of the army officers responsible for that set of murders have been charged ? Answers on a postcard please.A clue is that it is the same number of army officers charged with the murder of civilians in Bangkok last year.

As to Prayuth he is a man of *edite* with tribal loyalties.He has been frenetic in further politicising the army, and meddling in politics.The notorious ISOC has been particularly active during his tenure.

Spot on.

With most leading academics and political commentators acknowledging the Thai Army is highly politicised, one wonders what agenda the posters have that cannot accept it for what is clearly a plain fact.

Edited by Scott

Of course having met General Prayuth you must be an expert in his intelligence and loyalties....

Pick a fight with someone else.

Oh, go on, please, I was going to make popcorn.

LOL .. I am missing parts of this but I can see the very direct and relevant questions asked by Ani :)

Pick a fight with someone else.

Oh, go on, please, I was going to make popcorn.

Extra butter on mine.

Easy to state things like he is an idiot, when you've never even had a conversation with him.

LOL.

Hard to imagine with all the infighting and power struggles within the Thai military that ANY man getting to a top post is a moron. He may be shielded from some aspects of reality by some underlings, in classic Thai don't deliver bad news to the boss style, but I doubt he possibly could be feeble minded and get to the top.

All countries are run by elites, it is just how it is.

No one gets to the top of a profession or a discipline without becoming special and joining an elite.

Being in an elite grouping doesn't automatically bestow a sense of entitlement, or arrogant superiority, unless the person is somehow weak of nature in other ways. Neo-post Feudal kow tow cultures do tend to breed arrogance in those that deem themselves at the top,but that is not exclusive to Thailands leaders, but to all Asian kow tow derived cultures.

If you replace the elite with a different elite, you only change the actors, not the underlying culture that created the problem. The problem with swapping elites by force is the dislocation and infighting as one structure is just erased and another haphazardly fights it's way into positions. Mostly the poor suffer most during a long painful transition to stability. And in the end.... You have an arrogant Kow Tow derived Elite taking prerogatives and demanding excessive respect to codify their accent.

Same same only worse.

Edited by animatic

Please give examples of the frenetic qualities he has displayed?

In exactly which instances he has politicized the military,

other than repeatedly saying he will not get into the election politics?

And on what subjects has the ISOC incorrectly been active?

If we consider that there have been a string of bombings:

including Red shirt connected bombers confessing.

Innocent people being killed at bus stops. Bombs at BJT party offices.

And including a PTP MP's mistress taking messages

and cash to someone who patently controlled and supplied in bad costume, a bomb maker, who blew himself and half a into the street.

And with the huge number of incidents concerning preserving internal security for ALL persons in Thailand, Including disagreeable posters on TVF.

I see why the ISOC has been, not just busy, but stretched to it's limits during Prayuths debutant year...

No, you're right he's a very reasonable and well adjusted man and just what is needed to lead the Army in these troubled times and to save disagreeable TV posters (from what? themselves?);

Gen.Prayuth doesn't hate the red shirts

http://www.thaivisa....hai-army-chief/

The cost of CRES

http://saiyasombut.w...ayuth-about-it/

It is no secret General Prayuth would like a much harder crackdown

http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/8615910.stm

Two democrat MP's ask for Prayuth to be sacked over the insurrection in the south

http://asiancorrespo...ry-in-thailand/

Prayuth calls Somsak Jeamteerasakul a mentally ill academic

http://www.prachatai...glish/node/2458

Easy to state things like he is an idiot, when you've never even had a conversation with him.

I did not say he was an idiot or moron, nor did I imply it.

It is not necessary to meet someone to form an impression of him.

I take issue with the suggestion I priggishly deem members worthy or unworthy.All members are of equal value, and actually it is absurd to think there's some sort of pecking order.

It is true I prefer not to deal with the quarrelsome, bores, one note obsessives, those who screech they have been personally dishonoured when in fact they have just lost an argument. etc.

Realistically it becomes clear over time who has analytical ability, intelligence, historical and cultural understanding, sense of balance etc.Ideally I prefer to discuss with such kindred spirits (not in political views).I actually welcome debate with those holding contrary opinions.

As far as your question on ignoring opinions, that is better addressed to those who do that.I don't.

As to your last sentence, i appreciate that you don't (that's not to say i don't understand why some people have reason to click on the ignore button), but i maintain that stating something as fact, and then refusing to back up those facts, on the basis of taking a dislike to the questioner, comes over as being just a little churlish and pouty.

Put it this way, your rebuffs wouldn't look out of place if accompanied by showing of the "X" on the lollipop stick.

As to your last sentence, i appreciate that you don't (that's not to say i don't understand why some people have reason to click on the ignore button), but i maintain that stating something as fact, and then refusing to back up those facts, on the basis of taking a dislike to the questioner, comes over as being just a little churlish and pouty.

Again it's not really a matter of taking a dislike to a questioner.It's a matter of whether it's worth the time and effort of providing proof to someone who is ill intentioned (and I have been warned by unimpeachable sources that some of these right wing military cheerleaders are very hostile to me indeed) or is unwilling to give and take in discussion.Another thing is that quite often there is no "proof" or "link" to provide, as though the web was an oracle with all the answers.I read most of the literature on the Thai political scene and only a small percentage is available to "link".One could I suppose preface every statement with "in my opinion", but why should one pander to the Wikopedia mentality?

I accept your comments are made in a constructive way, and I will consider in future more carefully whether I'm appearing churlish or pouty.

I did not say he was an idiot or moron, nor did I imply it.

It is not necessary to meet someone to form an impression of him.

No it was something that can't be said.

"...As to Prayuth he is a man of(possible defamation edited out) with tribal loyalties...."

And that ALSO gives a distinct impression, which was commented on.

My own wife was ordered out of bed whilst in hospital during the red shirts attack on the hospital.

Genuinely sorry to hear this.But precisely who ordered her out of bed, the redshirts or the hospital administration?

Hope your wife is fine now. You should also ask the government/ army why they positioned snipers in the top floors of the hospital.

No snipers was ever found on the top floors in the hospital.

But I don't hold my breath waiting for any of your fellow apologist to correct your trollish posts.

My own wife was ordered out of bed whilst in hospital during the red shirts attack on the hospital.

Genuinely sorry to hear this.But precisely who ordered her out of bed, the redshirts or the hospital administration?

Hope your wife is fine now. You should also ask the government/ army why they positioned snipers in the top floors of the hospital.

But I don't hold my breath waiting for any of your fellow apologist to correct your trollish posts.

No snipers were found, only cigarette stubs on the roof.,

And no hospital personell would have ordered her from bed,

if the Reds had given them a choice. They would gladly have

kept billing the insurance company at the worst case.

Defending the indefensible again.

Edited by animatic

From the OP k. Thaksin said

""I will definitely come back at the end of this year. Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport,""

the courts can finally dust off those dossiers concerning all the cases which were awaiting my return :)

Based on his initial conviction, he also has 730 days of this awaiting his plane touching down at Suvarnabhumi Airport

thaksinreturns.png

We're waiting for you Massa.....................:jap:

post-108180-0-11505100-1305539833_thumb.

I will be very happy to see him back.

This government has done nothing for us. I think that corruption is the number 1 problem here from small time street vendors right up to Government officials and Army allowing drugs to come into my country. When they let them in, they get richer. The way to stop or at least begin to stop corruptin in Thailand is to give good salaries and so people can live good life. This way there will be less chance of corruptions. When my childrens come from University they can only get low paying jobs. If children can finish University and get a good job that give them enough money to live a decent life then it will help their journy in life to take the middle path and go away from direction of corruption.

I am 50 year Thai and think government must start with:

1. Education at International standards for ALL Thai. Not only rich. English language must be good.
  2. Good health care for ALL Thai people.
  3. Thailand MUST have good internet if we want to compete Internationally.
  4. Labor standards to be set so people can be to make good money for future
  5. Stop corruption in Thailand at the same time as raising salaries.
  6. Stop drugs here and even if people need to die. The drug dealers will know a law and if continue then they know have death penalty.
  7. Have better anf fast system set up to help victoms of disasters because it seems to happen more these days.
  8. Make peace with our neighbours even if it mean to give temple rights away in Cambodia and allow access for tourist.

I also have many foreign friend who complain about the visa rules etc so maybe if government can take the fee for visas and apply it direct to Education or war on drugs then the foreigner can feel good about where the visa money goes.

I know in the world all government have corruption but when Thaksin was our PM he did not hide it like many other governments. I can accept this. Maybe if Abhisit have more money and experience he could have done the good job but it is proved that he did not and he have his chance already.

It's good to see that 50-year-old Thais educated enough to have a perfect command of English are empassioned enough about Thai politics to conclusively put down their political thoughts on a first-ever Thavisa post along with a series of suggestions to fix Thailand's problems. Did you know that your bullet points are almost exactly Thaksin's own ideas, word for word? I can see why you would vote for him.

But, hang on, you're saying that corruption is bad, and then you're saying that Thaksin was nice and open about it. You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. You talk about drugs and corruption, referencing the army and government. But Thaksin oversaw this whole operation, and he didn't want to change it back then - he just wanted his share. Some might argue that he was kicked out because he wanted more than his share.

And I agree, drug dealers are the scum of the earth. They are all murderers, pimps and rapists and they all deserve to die; it's a myth that the network of drug dealing is full of victims of social circumstances. And those drug mules in particular should be subject to death by genital electrocution. But, hang on, the most recent investigation - you know, the one first shelved by Thaksin and then by the Samak administration - show that less than half of the people killed had any ties whatsoever with the drug industry. Would a collateral damage rate of 60%+ be acceptable to you in the next war on drugs?

You make a lot of interesting points in your post, much like the Quadrangled Prophet himself, but really no indication of how it's going to be executed.

'You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country' I thought he was already ? Well Deputy then

post-74945-0-88335000-1305597788_thumb.j

Well, someone blew Sae Daeng's head off, captured live on TV while he was being interviewed by CNN, exactly in that area. Let me try apologizing for that somehow. :rolleyes: Then someone else can try apologizing for the slaughter of unarmed people inside a temple.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I will be very happy to see him back.

This government has done nothing for us. I think that corruption is the number 1 problem here from small time street vendors right up to Government officials and Army allowing drugs to come into my country. When they let them in, they get richer. The way to stop or at least begin to stop corruptin in Thailand is to give good salaries and so people can live good life. This way there will be less chance of corruptions. When my childrens come from University they can only get low paying jobs. If children can finish University and get a good job that give them enough money to live a decent life then it will help their journy in life to take the middle path and go away from direction of corruption.

I am 50 year Thai and think government must start with:

1. Education at International standards for ALL Thai. Not only rich. English language must be good.
  2. Good health care for ALL Thai people.
  3. Thailand MUST have good internet if we want to compete Internationally.
  4. Labor standards to be set so people can be to make good money for future
  5. Stop corruption in Thailand at the same time as raising salaries.
  6. Stop drugs here and even if people need to die. The drug dealers will know a law and if continue then they know have death penalty.
  7. Have better anf fast system set up to help victoms of disasters because it seems to happen more these days.
  8. Make peace with our neighbours even if it mean to give temple rights away in Cambodia and allow access for tourist.

I also have many foreign friend who complain about the visa rules etc so maybe if government can take the fee for visas and apply it direct to Education or war on drugs then the foreigner can feel good about where the visa money goes.

I know in the world all government have corruption but when Thaksin was our PM he did not hide it like many other governments. I can accept this. Maybe if Abhisit have more money and experience he could have done the good job but it is proved that he did not and he have his chance already.

It's good to see that 50-year-old Thais educated enough to have a perfect command of English are empassioned enough about Thai politics to conclusively put down their political thoughts on a first-ever Thavisa post along with a series of suggestions to fix Thailand's problems. Did you know that your bullet points are almost exactly Thaksin's own ideas, word for word? I can see why you would vote for him.

But, hang on, you're saying that corruption is bad, and then you're saying that Thaksin was nice and open about it. You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. You talk about drugs and corruption, referencing the army and government. But Thaksin oversaw this whole operation, and he didn't want to change it back then - he just wanted his share. Some might argue that he was kicked out because he wanted more than his share.

And I agree, drug dealers are the scum of the earth. They are all murderers, pimps and rapists and they all deserve to die; it's a myth that the network of drug dealing is full of victims of social circumstances. And those drug mules in particular should be subject to death by genital electrocution. But, hang on, the most recent investigation - you know, the one first shelved by Thaksin and then by the Samak administration - show that less than half of the people killed had any ties whatsoever with the drug industry. Would a collateral damage rate of 60%+ be acceptable to you in the next war on drugs?

You make a lot of interesting points in your post, much like the Quadrangled Prophet himself, but really no indication of how it's going to be executed.

Thank you for kind words on my English. I was fortunate.

I only said that every politition in world is corrupt and we all know this but with Thaksin he did not try and hide it like others have. I would prefer to know how I am being cheeted so I can dicide how to deal with it. In another countries with so called educated polititions they are fighting wars and they have no money in their budget but still interfear with other countries politics. These are governments that hide the corruption from the people. When we have Thaksin before he would tell us "Ok I am going to cheet you now and give you money for your vote" and we can make decision on this basis. He did not hide his corruption like the now government by blocking TV stations, radios and news.

With his war on drugs there is no Thai person who enjoy to see some people die if they do not deserve it but it is a war that is needed and maybe he learn from his past mistake. If you touch the fire you will not touch again. Yes when he investigate he tell the truth about many people who die were innocent. Another government would hide this fact. If you ask me about will 60%+ be acceptable in next war I can only say that I never want to see any percent of the innocent Thai people die but unfortunatly yes always have inncocent casualties in any war. If I have to die to save my childrens and my grandchildrens future to not have the drugs I cann accept that.

Another person here say that Thailand is the biggest producer of ganja in the world but he is very wrong. It grows more in Columbia and another countries I think and we never have the problem with people that have the ganja. It is a modern day drug problem with the drugs that make children crazy like a mefanfetime .... I think you know the word and the yaba and ice and these very bad drugs.

Only my opinion that all Thai want good government and not corruption but I think we cannot ever have a no corruption government because noone have anywhere. But what choice do we have for vote a new government? If have good choice maybe can change but here not ike another countries. We have few choices here and Thaksin have money and experience and maybe can change things because other country like Cambodia he know and can help this situation and he repect from another countries like Middle East that we need the business from. He is a very good business man and when he was my priminister he can have the business with many countries because they respect him. They dont care he corrupt or not. They only care he good for business or not.

Excellent posts Geeraphan!! I feel we're all very fortunate that you take the time to post here. Thank you.

Only part I have to disagree on is the war on drugs; just because someone calls it a war doesn't actually make it a war, and make the specific rules of war apply in what is internal law enforcement. (I felt the same about things like 'war on terror'. ). Rules of war apply for example in the skirmishes with Cambodia (even though those are utterly silly and unnecessary) but when it comes to crime, including drugs cimes then there is no excuse but to work within the law; that's why there are laws. If the laws don't work then the politician's job is to get those laws improved.

The other example of war being wages on civilians is of course the red shirt protests, with people being slaughtered even inside a temple. In his latest interview which was in a newspaper that shall not be mentioned here, Thaksin urged to 'forgive and forget'. While that makes sense and his certainly politically convenient for all, I still don't like it not to have this investigated.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

'ianbaggie' timestamp='1305262957' post='4420766'

Well, someone blew Sae Daeng's head off, captured live on TV while he was being interviewed by CNN, exactly in that area. Let me try apologizing for that somehow. :rolleyes: Then someone else can try apologizing for the slaughter of unarmed people inside a temple.

The angle wasn't from the direction of the hospital.

And it is not a forgone conclusion it was 'current' army snipers that did him.

The angle wasn't from the direction of the hospital.

And it is not a forgone conclusion it was 'current' army snipers that did him.

In the days before this incident, The Government offered the reds a peace deal. The reds checked with Thaksin and he publicly said go ahead it is up to you. The reds then provisionally made a deal with the govt. Big announcement. This was not meant to happen as far as Thaksin was really concerned and it was then and only then that Seh Daeng was wheeled out to denounce the deal. Big loss of face for the red leaders. Then Seh Daeng received a shot in the head and the blackshirts/red shirts were fully off the leash. As it was said in Casablanca round up the usual suspects. the purpose of the red apologists however is to move the responsibility of the rioting to the other side. As far as that is concerned it is as predictable as watching the Duracell Bunny.

Edited by yoshiwara

'You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country' I thought he was already ? Well Deputy then

It's precisely because people like Suthep (and Newin, Banharn and Snoh, etc) remain in Thai politics that there is a deep need for continually improving corruption controls when implenting new policies and government projects (as we have seen under this adminstration, although the effectiveness of the controls is certainly questionable). We certainly don't want them getting any ideas from corruption's square-faced champion - whilst Thai Law doesn't work on precedents, Thaksin's return would make a statement that some people are above the Law.

Maybe those who sympathise with the Red cause but want to see the rule of Law could comment on this - I'd expect one or two Thaksin cheerleaders to tell us about how Thaksin is guilty of nothing and the charges are all "politically motivated" and maybe one or two to talk about how everyone "elite" is aboev the Law anyway, but my question is: given you don't want double standards, how can you possibly call for Thaksin's return with impunity? It goes against the fabric of what the Red Shirts were calling for.