Police In Huahin

jusmine36

No different than anywhere else. I've been tagged half a dozen times over the years for minor traffic violations resulting in a donation of 200B each time to the police coffee fund. A friend of mine had a police officer try and extort 100,000B from him after a traffic accident that he was not at fault? Fortunately they had connections higher up that resulted in the cop backing off. There crooks doesn't matter where you are in the LOS.

resulting in a donation of 200B each time to the police coffee fund

Is that on a bike, did you barter, or what... I've been tagged here three times (in 7 years) in my SUV and each time they wanted 400 baht. Why am I paying double? :annoyed:

Is that on a bike, did you barter, or what... I've been tagged here three times (in 7 years) in my SUV and each time they wanted 400 baht. Why am I paying double? :annoyed:

maybe because you have a nice car and look like you can afford it B)

maybe because you have a nice car and look like you can afford it B)

Thats very correct

Next time ask for a ticket and pay at the police atation, all minor traffic offence's are 200 baht, the more serios (jumping a red light) 400 baht.

Next time ask for a ticket and pay at the police atation, all minor traffic offence's are 200 baht, the more serios (jumping a red light) 400 baht.

excellent advice

I totally dropped the cash donations some years back, and require an official fine to be payed at station, or I leave.

Even 160 kmh on Highway by radar or laser is 200 baht official fine

It was on my bike (3 times) but also in the truck (4 times) in BKK also. I would add, when your being extorted everything is negotiable. I've also used the tactic of just handing him 200B and once the money is in his hand, I'm letting my foot off the clutch smiling and waving bye at the same time. What's he going to do?.............................chase you for another 200? Kinda gives you a sence of redemption not giving him a chance to barter for more. Kinda like a slap in the face on departure. Ass****s!

Edited by Hobiecat

Been stopped a few times on my bike in the recent spate of checks along P-road in Hua Hin during daytime hours. I larf when they spot me coming along and think farang = money and pull me over. I'm wearing a helmet, so they ask me for a licence. I show them a valid Thai licence and they just deflate and grudgingly give me a thumbs up sign and send me on my way.

kalbow666

Yesterday they made a huge control, concerning helms and driving licenses.

The officer asked me in good English for showing my license. As I started to get my wallet in my pocket, the officers saluted and let me go…

First time I had an accident in Hua Hin was in 2008. Kid on Fino slalom on Petchkasen and hit my cars left front fender. Bunch of taxi bikers wanted to witnesss I was at fault. I asked kid if he wanted to leave as my Insurance would pay for my car but obvioulsy not for his bike and would probably claim him for my cars costs as he was in the wrong here. Kid insisted on Policestation. Offiser at site radioed in and 5 minutes later at station Tourist Police was present to assist me.

Investigating offiser heard us both and my GF as only witness. Offiser explained to kid he was in the wrong. I suggested once again kid to leave quietly before my Insurance rep would arrive to avoid having to pay. Officer quietly gave drivers lisence back to kid and asked him to go outside building and consider what to do. Kid took off.

IMHO clean policework :)

Later found out kid lived in my neighborhood (Naebkehardt), and his mum thanked my GF for letting him off the hook

My car was parked on the road near the beach for only 1 minute, then two kids in a unregistered bike and sidecar slammed into the back and wrecked the bumper. Instantly all the Thais gathered around to see what is going to happen. I said its ok and they wai but then down the road could hear them laughing their asses off...

I think the fruit they call farang gets more respect than we do.

A couple of years back I was parking in the main street in Hua Hin, as it was dark it was difficult to see how much room I had as I was reversing, a policeman saw what I was doing and started signalling with his torch, very helpful thinks me, he kept waving me back until I made contact with the car behind me. He then got very excited and started waving his hands and signalled to the car driver who was sat in has car. The Thai driver got out looked at the , lack of, damage, shrugged his shoulders and got back in his car saying "no problem".

The, helpful, police officer was not impressed. :rolleyes: