Taking My Thai Wife To England

Ok, here it is!

I have been with my Thai wife now for over 5 years. We got married this week after following local protocol and visiting the local Amphur to sign everything off. She has been to England 3 times before on 6 months visas and has always returned in the allotted time-frame. We have always spent 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand (we have a farm in Chiang Rai). When I go back for work I take her with me. She is now 2 months pregnant and I want to have our child in the UK for many obvious reasons. I have not decided where to bring up the child yet and would like to keep all of my options open. My intention is to spend at least 6 months in the UK with my wife so that she can be taken care of by her grandmother (my mother). The baby is due to be born in November and I am supposed to be returning to the UK in early June of this year.

I am sick and tired of constantly having to make visas to go to and from Thailand for her and wish to create more stability both for her and my child.

She has a degree from a Thai university as a tour guide, and I have employed private tutors in the UK to teach her English. This is now perfect. Better in fact than most people living in the UK.

I wish to continue splitting our time between UK and Thailand without the inevitable hassles of visa creation.

Therefore my question is this: What type of visa should i go for to make all of our lives easier to do the above and spend as much time as we want in either of the countries that we choose to live in?

Also should i let the visa officials know that my wife is pregnant?

Money is not a concern, but my freedom to do as we please is! Please Help.

Hi Ballantyne, sorry but can't help with the visa issue except to say I reckon you will simply have to continue with the same process you've been doing before unless your wife becomes a UK citizen. I wish you, your wife and your new baby the best of luck for the future anyway.

I can't see a way that will allow you to keep your options open to freely move from the UK to Thailand and vice versa.

Unless you keep applying for a tourist visa for your wife and a non-o multi for you.

Also it won't be easy to keep moving around with your newborn baby.

I think you need to make a decision on where your going to base your life, UK or Thailand,

and then go for the appropriate visas

either for you, or your wife and newborn.

maybe they would grant ILR based on time together and your wish to return to UK to reamain!!!

my wife has ILR great no visa's got join unmarried partner visa, had to show proof of 2 years cohabitation here and there. not sure how that would fit with you being married here, would they know you were married here?

as for the pregnancy personally unless asked i would not volunteer the information. we used to be always 6 months here and 6 months there, now its just a holiday to UK and ILR gets her in, no hassle with visa's

i used to ask what is border agency questions by e mail always found them usufull and accurate, others differ an that opinion.always kept replies. saved a refused boarding once where Thai check in said she could not travel on one way ticket, showed home office e mail, waited the allowed to travel after i signned declaration to pay return if a problem.

you do intend to remain in UK full time dont you!

Edited by NALAK

I can't see a way that will allow you to keep your options open to freely move from the UK to Thailand and vice versa.

Unless you keep applying for a tourist visa for your wife and a non-o multi for you.

Also it won't be easy to keep moving around with your newborn baby.

I think you need to make a decision on where your going to base your life, UK or Thailand,

and then go for the appropriate visas

either for you, or your wife and newborn.

ILR does allow freedom to move around. dont see problem baby being here 6 months there 6 months untill school comes along but thats few years away yet.

If you and your now wife have been living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last 4 years then she may qualify for Indefinite Leave to Enter. This is the same as Indefinite Leave to Remain, only it is issued outside the UK, not in.

If she does not qualify for ILE then she could apply for settlement as your spouse. This will be valid for 27 months and once she has lived in the UK for at least 24 months she can apply for ILR.

For both ILE and ILR she must have satisfied the Knowledge of language and life in the UK (KOL) requirement, which can only be done in the UK. If she has done this on a previous visit and meets the other ILE requirements she would be granted ILE. If not, but otherwise qualifies, then she would be issued ILE subject to KOL. This would, like a normal spouse visa, be valid for 27 months and once she has satisfied KOL she could apply for ILR without having to satisfy the 24 month residency requirement.

See this topic for more on this.

Once she has ILE or ILR she can leave and enter the UK as often as she wishes; however were she to spend a continuous period of 2 years or more out of the UK then it would lapse.

Alternatively she can apply for a longer term visit visa, up to 10 years. She would still only be allowed a maximum of 6 months in the UK on any one visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 in the UK. See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

One thing to consider is that if she is in the UK as a visitor then she would not be entitled to any NHS treatment, except initial emergency treatment in an A & E department. Were she to have her baby in a UK hospital whilst in the UK as a visitor she would, therefore, be charged the full cost of her treatment.

If she is in the UK with a settlement visa then she would be entitled to full NHS treatment.

Hi Ballantyne, sorry but can't help with the visa issue except to say I reckon you will simply have to continue with the same process you've been doing before unless your wife becomes a UK citizen. I wish you, your wife and your new baby the best of luck for the future anyway.

The wife does not have to be a UK citizen, but she must initially stay for a full year with you in the UK, at the end of the first year visa you must apply for an extension confirming and proving that you are still together with her, then the yearly visa will be changed to an infinite stay visa in the UK, with this stamp in the passport she can leave and enter the UK as she wishes, but she must not leave the UK for more than two years, if she does then the infinitive visa is automatically cancelled, and you will be back to square one.

Thus bear in mind, the new visa application for your wife must be that of a (wife's) permanent stay in the UK, and not the usual six month type visa. Good luck.

marriage visa/setlement with that you wont have any problems also it will solve the baby problem,then she can leave the uk and re-enter anytime but not longer than a 2year gap,about british citizenship she has to live in the uk 3years unless its changed,then she can apply for a british passport. good luck.

she must initially stay for a full year with you in the UK, at the end of the first year visa you must apply for an extension confirming and proving that you are still together with her, then the yearly visa will be changed to an infinite stay visa in the UK,

The length of a spouse settlement visa changed from 12 months to first 24 months and then 27 months and the qualifying period for ILR changed from 12 months to 24 months some time ago; can't recall exactly how long ago but it's certainly more than 5 years!

During the 24 months qualifying period for ILR one is allowed holidays etc. outside the UK, and there is no maximum time limit on this. However when applying for ILR one must show that one is a UK resident and has been for the last 2 years; possibly difficult to do if one has spent the majority of that time in Thailand!

To qualify for naturalisation as the spouse of a British citizen the applicant must, among other things, have no time restriction on their stay in the UK, i.e. ILE, ILR or equivalentlent, have been physically present in the UK on the exact date 3 years prior to applying and during that three years have spent no more than 270 days outside the UK with no more than 90 days in the final year. See Requirements for naturalisation if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen.

Dear Sir, Thank you for your assistance. I have read your link and have found it to be most helpful. I just have a couple of points to clarify.

Does ILE only apply if we have both been living outside of the UK for the full 4 years, or would it include time that we have both spent over the last 4 years in the UK as well? She has been coming to the UK since June '08 and every year since. Does ILE mean that she would not be entitled to free NHS treatment when we have our baby in the UK? My understanding is that she has somehow already been registered at the doctors surgery from one of her previous visits and during the last visit I noticed that I was not having to pay the full price for medicines only the standard prescription price. Therefore would this apply to hospital treatment too?? With the spouse settlement visa would we be tied into living in the UK for the full 2 years? We have a farm in N Thailand and the thought of having to live back in the UK constantly for 2 full years fills me with dread. If not how much of that time would be able to live in Thailand for without breaching terms of Visa?

You state that if she qualifies for ILE but has not done this English test and citizenship test yet. She is in fact able to do it in the UK. What would be the costs involved in a the first visa and B the conversion if any?

I am also not sure whether I should tell them that my wife is pregnant as I have heard that this can create an additional stumbling block. Is this in fact true?

I am most grateful for your assistance, as I have spent a great deal of time to many different organisations getting absolutely nowhere.

If you and your now wife have been living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last 4 years then she may qualify for Indefinite Leave to Enter. This is the same as Indefinite Leave to Remain, only it is issued outside the UK, not in.

If she does not qualify for ILE then she could apply for settlement as your spouse. This will be valid for 27 months and once she has lived in the UK for at least 24 months she can apply for ILR.

For both ILE and ILR she must have satisfied the Knowledge of language and life in the UK (KOL) requirement, which can only be done in the UK. If she has done this on a previous visit and meets the other ILE requirements she would be granted ILE. If not, but otherwise qualifies, then she would be issued ILE subject to KOL. This would, like a normal spouse visa, be valid for 27 months and once she has satisfied KOL she could apply for ILR without having to satisfy the 24 month residency requirement.

See this topic for more on this.

Once she has ILE or ILR she can leave and enter the UK as often as she wishes; however were she to spend a continuous period of 2 years or more out of the UK then it would lapse.

Alternatively she can apply for a longer term visit visa, up to 10 years. She would still only be allowed a maximum of 6 months in the UK on any one visit and, usually, a maximum of 6 months out of any 12 in the UK. See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

One thing to consider is that if she is in the UK as a visitor then she would not be entitled to any NHS treatment, except initial emergency treatment in an A & E department. Were she to have her baby in a UK hospital whilst in the UK as a visitor she would, therefore, be charged the full cost of her treatment.

If she is in the UK with a settlement visa then she would be entitled to full NHS treatment.

For ILE you do need to have been living together outside the UK for at least the last 4 years. However visits to the UK during this time would not count against you.

She doesn't apply for ILE, she applies for settlement as your spouse, using form VAF4A. If she qualifies for ILE then this is what she will be granted, if not then she will be granted a 27 month visa as your spouse (assuming all the other requirements are met). All applications in Thailand now have to be made online, see How to apply.

See also Maintenance and accommodation and SET03 - Spouses.

If applying for settlement she will need to take a TB test and submit the results with the application. See here.

She will also need to pass a basic test of her spoken English. See New English language requirement for visa applicants coming to join partners in the UK and here for a list of approved test providers in Thailand. NB, this test is in addition to, and does not replace, KOL.

The cost of a settlement visa is 42,120 baht. The cost of ILR in the UK is £972 by post or £1350 in person. The cost of taking the LitUK test is £34.73. The cost of an ESOL with citizenship course varies, and you should contact the LEA where you will be living. These are the current costs and are subject to change.

As said previously, during the 24 months qualifying period for ILR one is allowed holidays etc. outside the UK, and there is no maximum time limit on this. However when applying for ILR one must show that one is a UK resident and has been for the last 2 years (or, if shorter, since entering if granted ILE subject to KOL and have now satisfied KOL); possibly difficult to do if one has spent the majority of that time in Thailand!

If she enters the UK for a settled purpose then she is immediately entitled to NHS treatment; visitors are not. I am surprised that your GP has previously treated her as an NHS patient and can only assume that this is because s/he did not carry out the checks on her immigration status that s/he was supposed to do!

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your most exacting response. It is quite remarkable how many hoops they make decent individuals jump through. It is truly a minefield. Presumably to deter the average person.

After speaking to a solicitor in BKK they have said that my wife sadly does not meet the pre-requisites of ILE as we must have been married for over 4 years. This means that we will now have to suffer the indignity of living for virtually 2 full years in the UK without being able to return to Thailand to finish building our house. Thus meaning I will have nowhere to bring up my child! I asked him what would happen if we were to spend an extended couple of periods in Thailand and after much cajoling he did say that if I were to breach these terms I would have to pay an additional £850 and we would then have to make up any time lost. Then we would be able to pay another fee and apply for ILR. What nonsense it all is!

If poss I have one further question for your good self. My wifes current passport runs out in November 2012. Should I get her to apply for another one? I am also concerned about the name change on her new passport. IE Whether I should let her use my surname on it as we are now married?

Best Wishes & Thank you for all your help.

ps: As I have an advertising agency in the UK and her English is perfect would there be a possibility of getting her a work visa instead of settlement. Perhaps this would give us the freedom to continue our current lifestyle?

The solicitor you spoke to in Bangkok is wrong. Unmarried partners can qualify for ILE.

If for some reason she wasn't granted ILE subject to KOL, then whilst qualifying for ILR you would be able to make trips to Thailand; she would just have to show that she is a UK resident to obtain ILR.

She wont get a work permit just to work in an advertising firm.

However, you say would find living in the UK an indignity. One can only assume that your only reason for suffering this indignity is to take advantage of the NHS, paid for out of my taxes, to have your child for free.

So I suggest that you save yourselves the indignity and stay where you are!.

Dear Sir,

I shall choose not to be drawn by your slightly unpleasant barbed final comments. The indignity that I refer to is having to be held captive in the UK for the best part of 2 years. That to me is an affront to my dignity.

If you've woken up on the wrong side of bed this morning that is a shame.

I have never claimed any monies from the Government and never will. Just for the record I pay just under £100,000 p/annum in taxes and rates to the government so I suggest that you think again.

Perhaps an apology is in order from your good self?

Apart from this I do appreciate your help.

The solicitor you spoke to in Bangkok is wrong. Unmarried partners can qualify for ILE.

If for some reason she wasn't granted ILE subject to KOL, then whilst qualifying for ILR you would be able to make trips to Thailand; she would just have to show that she is a UK resident to obtain ILR.

However, you say would find living in the UK an indignity. One can only assume that your only reason for suffering this indignity is to take advantage of the NHS, paid for out of my taxes, to have your child for free.

Dear Sir,

I shall choose not to be drawn by your slightly unpleasant barbed final comments. The indignity that I refer to is having to be held captive in the UK for the best part of 2 years. That to me is an affront to my dignity.

I have never claimed any monies from the Government and never will. Just for the record I pay just under £100,000 p/annum in taxes and rates to the government so I suggest that you think again.

Well then, with respect, you could pay for private treatment for your wife ( as you should have done already for a visitor to the UK), or pay back the money now owed to the NHS ? With further respect, your earlier comments could also be regarded as offensive to other people's dignity. You said - " Thank you for your most exacting response. It is quite remarkable how many hoops they make decent individuals jump through. It is truly a minefield. Presumably to deter the average person." That is fairly insulting to the "average person " as you put it, and maybe assumes that you consider yourself above average ?

In addition, just for the record, although you may never have claimed money from the government, you have, again, with respect, committed NHS fraud.

Edited by VisasPlus

Dear Sir,

Mr. Average here,

so those who don't pay £ 100,000 in taxes a year like yourself are in some sort of different lower category, ?

Tut, tut. l wonder what you do for a living. :rolleyes:

Mr. Average here,

so those who don't pay £ 100,000 in taxes a year like yourself are in some sort of different lower category, ?

Another Mr Average here, I certainly don't pay £100,000 in taxes, or even earn £100,000, year, so I wonder why you went to a solicitor in Bangkok who doesn't seem to understand UK Immigration Law then seek free advice on this forum.

I find your attitude to 7by7, who gives up a lot of his free time to help people, as do a number of other professionals, quite insulting and patronising.

I think it's probably best if you sought advice elsewhere, you can clearly afford it, and allow posters on this board to help those who will appreciate it.

Edited by theoldgit

Mr. Average here,

Dear Sir,

He already told us... he has an advertising business in England and a farm in Thailand, both which seem to manage without his presence for 50% of the time and STILL pays £100,000 per annum in UK taxes. I wonder what his Thai tax bill is like.

PS. The sprog should soon wipe the smile of his globetrotting face.

Mr. Average here,

Dear Sir,

He already told us... he has an advertising business in England and a farm in Thailand, both which seem to manage without his presence for 50% of the time and STILL pays £100,000 per annum in UK taxes. I wonder what his Thai tax bill is like.

Dear Sir,

My point was l wonder what he ''actually '' does for a living. :lol::sorry::offtopic2:

Dear Sir,

Don't take it so personally, the man was trying to help. There isn't a 'come-and-go-exactly-as-you-please' visa just for your other half so 7by7 was trying to set out your options in the absence of this. There are always hoops to jump through for all visas.

Mr. Average here,

Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

My point was l wonder what he ''actually '' does for a living. :lol::sorry::offtopic2:

Dear Sir,

Whatever it is, it certainly has nothing to do with dodging the HMRC!

I would conclude differently. OP would have to apply for a sponsor licence for his compaby and wife could apply through tier 2, subject to qualification. 

Or the OP could incorporate in Thailand and explore the intra-company transfer route. With a UK corporate tax bill of £100k the company should be able to absorb the required salary.

Go the settlement route would be my advice, even ILE would suit your circumstances, seems you are not interested in securing citizenship for your wife.

I've never bought into the UK being a preferential place to give birth. 50,000 THB full private in Thailand is fine and the level of care excellent. Maternity wards where one could stay for 7 days are an alien concept to Thais.

the comments you made to tv members that have given you good advice shows what kind of person you are you will definatlly be welcome in thailand,you will soon get those £signs subtracted from your smile,i have met a few like you in los,they didnt get far.

Dear Bangkockney,

Thanks for your advice , I shall take a look at the intra transfer company route. All that i have ever really wanted to do is to have my child in the UK and then have the opportunity of him/her to spend 6 to 8 months with their grandma my mother back in the UK. If I was able to have a 1 year long period in the UK then that would be more than enough.We would then be able to head back to N Thailand and continue our house-build. As I've always said what is important to me and my family is the ability is to go where and when as we please.Not to be trapped in the UK for 2 years, when we have a dog and a half-built house to contend with it's not the most ideal of situations. Otherwise as said all along ILE would be great but the solicitor in BKK told me that out of 27 months we must live 24 of them in the UK.

If to some readers on this forum my ability to travel and live a relatively carefree life whilst doing my bit for society upsets a couple of you then I shall draw my own conclusions from that. I do not feel that I am in any way different to anyone else on this forum and include myself as an average person just trying to do the best for my family. If I have offended anyone (not entirely sure how?) then I apologise as it was never my intention.

Best Wishes to all.

I would conclude differently. OP would have to apply for a sponsor licence for his compaby and wife could apply through tier 2, subject to qualification.

Or the OP could incorporate in Thailand and explore the intra-company transfer route. With a UK corporate tax bill of £100k the company should be able to absorb the required salary.

Go the settlement route would be my advice, even ILE would suit your circumstances, seems you are not interested in securing citizenship for your wife.

I've never bought into the UK being a preferential place to give birth. 50,000 THB full private in Thailand is fine and the level of care excellent. Maternity wards where one could stay for 7 days are an alien concept to Thais.

Just for the record I was entirely unaware that she has or might have been registered with the doctor. Furthermore I was not aware that it should not have happened. It was only when I went to pay for the medication on her behalf that it appeared to be cheaper than the price over the last 3 years. Incidentally the only thing that was ever received was one packet of contraceptive tablets. Now that I am aware of this fact I am only too willing to pay back the £10 or so that might be outstanding.

Dear Sir,

Well then, with respect, you could pay for private treatment for your wife ( as you should have done already for a visitor to the UK), or pay back the money now owed to the NHS ? With further respect, your earlier comments could also be regarded as offensive to other people's dignity. You said - " Thank you for your most exacting response. It is quite remarkable how many hoops they make decent individuals jump through. It is truly a minefield. Presumably to deter the average person." That is fairly insulting to the "average person " as you put it, and maybe assumes that you consider yourself above average ?

In addition, just for the record, although you may never have claimed money from the government, you have, again, with respect, committed NHS fraud.

Just for the record I was entirely unaware that she has or might have been registered with the doctor. Furthermore I was not aware that it should not have happened. It was only when I went to pay for the medication on her behalf that it appeared to be cheaper than the price over the last 3 years. Incidentally the only thing that was ever received was one packet of contraceptive tablets. Now that I am aware of this fact I am only too willing to pay back the £10 or so that might be outstanding.

At my local GP surgery in UK, a non-NHS consultation and private prescription is more like £70 a go.

Thanks for your reply Nalak, Same as you. I want to split my time 50;50. If I was granted ILR immediately without probationary period then that would be great. It means that whilst the baby is still young we can all still travel together.Then when the child is a little bit older I can make a decision as to where to have him schooled. I understand if the child is born in Thailand and his/her son is born outside of the UK then he won't be entitled to a UK passport. I might try emailing the border agency and see if they could clarify matters.

maybe they would grant ILR based on time together and your wish to return to UK to reamain!!!

my wife has ILR great no visa's got join unmarried partner visa, had to show proof of 2 years cohabitation here and there. not sure how that would fit with you being married here, would they know you were married here?

as for the pregnancy personally unless asked i would not volunteer the information. we used to be always 6 months here and 6 months there, now its just a holiday to UK and ILR gets her in, no hassle with visa's

i used to ask what is border agency questions by e mail always found them usufull and accurate, others differ an that opinion.always kept replies. saved a refused boarding once where Thai check in said she could not travel on one way ticket, showed home office e mail, waited the allowed to travel after i signned declaration to pay return if a problem.

you do intend to remain in UK full time dont you!

Mr Ballantyne,

You say that you are a decent person and object to jumping through hoops you presume are there to deter the average person; the clear implication being that you do not consider the average person, which includes myself and probably most members here, to be as decent as yourself.

You object to having to 'suffer the indignity' of being forced to live in the UK with the average people you consider beneath you in order to take advantage of the benefits of living in the UK, i.e. free health care. Tough, if you want your wife to enjoy such benefits then you and she have to follow the same rules as the rest of us in order for her to be entitled to them.

You say that you were entirely unaware that your wife had registered with a GP, yet you said in an earlier post that your understanding was that she had been registered with a doctor! Which is the truth? It can't be both statements.

Having contradicted yourself on this point, why should anyone believe anything else you say? That would certainly be the attitude of any ECO with an application in front of them containing contradictory statements.

You boast about how much tax you pay, this boast being an indication of how much you earn. This boast, if true, clearly indicates that you could easily afford to pay for private treatment for your wife, in the UK or in Thailand, and so not be forced to 'suffer the indignity' of actually having to live in the UK amongst us average people you consider beneath you.

If the above, and my earlier comments, offend you; so be it.

the comments you made to tv members that have given you good advice shows what kind of person you are you will definatlly be welcome in thailand,you will soon get those £signs subtracted from your smile,i have met a few like you in los,they didnt get far.

being mr. average who worked all my life and paid 44years ni.contributions i am disapointed that you havent the time to reply to my last post i have been married 20years and 28years exsperiance of thailand,and has more knowledge than that solicitor you saw in bkk but i exspect his fee was only peanuts,all advice given on tv is freeeeeee.