Internet, Where? No 3G

aehn

After several months of extreme frustration because of my very bad internet connection in my house (it sometimes it works, but it´s very slow, but most of the time, it does not work at all).

I got fed up, and gave in, and bought an Ipad in order to be able to use 3G instead of my apartments crap connection, but later it turns out, there is hardly no 3G in Bangkok, hmmm.

I then decided to buy a 1-2-call sim card, so I can use Thai- GSM system, but it is the slowest crap I have ever experienced, even worse than I have at home, (when it works that is). It takes about 25 seconds to load one page, a distaster, and on top of that, it is not cheap, it costs 900 THB a month to subscribe to it.

Anyone knows of any better internet service? There must be something better available out there.

Edited by aehn

Which network and location did you use for 3G?

I did not try any network, as I was told that 3G can only be used in Siam Paragon and another place which I can not recall the name of.

I am located in Bangkok.

I just need an internet connection (wifi or 3G will do) that will work in most places around Bangkok area, and does not cost a fortune a month, and has a decent speed, that is faster than 25 seconds loading time per page.

The only existing 3G you can use in Thailand at the moment is with True. And that too still primarily in bkk.

It's fast enough and you get coverage even in the outer parts of Bangkok

They do make things complicated to get it set up initially though.

1. Go to 7/11 and get a prepaid sim.

2. Take that sim to a true shop to have it exchanged to a micro sim :rolleyes:

3. Top up your sim. Choosing the package you want. There's a number of options with highest price being about 699 plus vat per month. But this is for net only. You need to get additional credit for phonecalls. Maybe there's a package that includes both. Ask at the shop and choose the one that suits you best.

By the way the packages allows you to connect to 3G and also their wifi hotspots. The 699 gives unlimited access to wifi

It does work well. So worth the hassle. If u use an iPhone then u can tether to connect your iPad (and other additional laptops if u want)

Wow. For once I actually know the answer to a geeky tech question :D

The only existing 3G you can use in Thailand at the moment is with True. And that too still primarily in bkk.

So 3G is not throughout Thailand then? You wouldn't be guaranteed 3G everywhere?

Good info by the way.

Esp when malysia is talking about rolling out 4g already!!!

The bigger joke is that ais has the audacity to say oh yes we do have 3G. In all of 3 buildings in Bangkok :lol:

Paragon, central world and the digital gateway bldg across the road :whistling:

Dtac is about the same I think.....

The bigger joke is that ais has the audacity to say oh yes we do have 3G. In all of 3 buildings in Bangkok :lol:

So why do they sell 3G devices everywhere?

3. Top up your sim. Choosing the package you want. There's a number of options with highest price being about 699 plus vat per month. But this is for net only. You need to get additional credit for phonecalls. Maybe there's a package that includes both. Ask at the shop and choose the one that suits you best.

By the way the packages allows you to connect to 3G and also their wifi hotspots. The 699 gives unlimited access to wifi

It does work well. So worth the hassle. If u use an iPhone then u can tether to connect your iPad (and other additional laptops if u want)

Wow, thnx for your answer!

I was told I can not use 3G in Thailand and especially not in Bangkok, but it was all bull then.

So when I get the prepaid sim card at 7/11, do I need to say I want True, or can I use 1-2-call and then change the information when I go to a True shop, cause I just bought a 1-2-call sim card.

Edited by aehn

No u need to get a true sim. Different companies. Unless u haven't opened the pack and 7/11 is able to give u a refund? I doubt it though.

Will set u back 69 baht I think.

U can't use AIS /1-2-call or dtac / happy except in very very limited places.

Richb - mai ruu :D no idea. Ahhh wait now I know. Now tv members can stop complaining that Thais have no forward thnking. We are preparing ahead for 2012 :whistling:

No u need to get a true sim. Different companies. Unless u haven't opened the pack and 7/11 is able to give u a refund? I doubt it though.

Will set u back 69 baht I think.

U can't use AIS /1-2-call or dtac / happy except in very very limited places.

You and your answer made my day, thank you once again, this is very good news for me! smile.gif

Only it will not set me back 69 baht, but rather 300 baht for the sim card and another 900 baht for the internet service I subscribed to, so in total 1200 baht.

But it does not matter, as long as I can get a decent internet connection that covers most of the Bangkok area I am really happy, yippi! biggrin.gif

Good to know I can occasionally make people smile :D

Wonder though.... Did u get a monthly subscription? Is that why the pricing is different.....

Maybe the 300 baht sim comes already with call credits?

Good to know I can occasionally make people smile :D

Cheers! biggrin.gif

Wonder though.... Did u get a monthly subscription? Is that why the pricing is different.....

Yeah, I said I wanted unlimited internet and then I ended up with that.

Maybe the 300 baht sim comes already with call credits?

I think that included some extra internet time, never asked about call credits as I did not intend to use it as a phone.

So why do they sell 3G devices everywhere?

For your money!

I have purchased two different AIS air card dongles trying to get the promised 3G in the Surin (Prasat) area, the black one for about 1900 baht and the white one for about 3000 baht and both were slower than snot! Couldn't download anything faster than about 10 kps, couldn't do any VOIP like Skype, drove me NUTS !

Fortunately we now have a wireless tower in our village, an ADSL cable was run from the tower to our home (to a wireless router/modem), and I now get "decent" internet speed and can make Skype calls.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

mario299 :lol:

The only existing 3G you can use in Thailand at the moment is with True.

No offense mate but that info ain't quite correct. My TOT 3G works pretty good in most areas of Bangkok.

Plus the fact that TOT have now secured the license and will be rolling out 3G to most of the other major cities later this year and into 2012.

Edited by Phatcharanan

So 3G is not throughout Thailand then? You wouldn't be guaranteed 3G everywhere?

Mid-2012 is the latest forecast I've seen. It's a bit of a carrot on a stick though, and a stick that keeps growing too. :annoyed:

Access and internet availability {quality} should be less of an issue than authoritarian blocking and censorship.

Depending on your exact location you should be able to use TrueMove 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT 3G (2100 Mhz). Further complicating the matter are pre-paid and post-paid options, multiple available promotions/data plans, and in the case of TOT, re-sellers (MVNOs).

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/ipad.html

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/wifi_area_bkk.html

http://www.i-bkk.com/ilocation/viewer/

http://www.tot3g.net/default.aspx

http://www.iec3g.com/web/home.php

http://www.i-mobile3gx.com/main/

http://www.i-kool.net/th/index.php

http://www.mojo3g.com/

http://www.365.co.th/store/

It might help if you could describe in as much detail as possible, your requirements (for example your monthly usage), and even your "...very bad internet connection in my house...". Assuming you had a PC, you could have bought a 3G modem, for example. I am not sure why you bought an iPad, although they are cool, and as a AAPL shareholder I am pleased.

Which network and location did you use for 3G?

I did not try any network, as I was told that 3G can only be used in Siam Paragon and another place which I can not recall the name of.

I am located in Bangkok.

I just need an internet connection (wifi or 3G will do) that will work in most places around Bangkok area, and does not cost a fortune a month, and has a decent speed, that is faster than 25 seconds loading time per page.

I see lomatopo has put you straight. There is good 3G coverage in Bangkok. TOT 3G and it's MVNOs as underlined by lomatopo is the cheapest option.

I am up here in Chiang Mai...

I have True 3G for my IPhone & AIS 3G for the IPad...

Both work great all throughout the city and at 3G speeds :whistling:

Out in the countryside 3G drops off - But the same thing happens when I left San Francisco and headed up into the Sierras...

Depending on your exact location you should be able to use TrueMove 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT 3G (2100 Mhz). Further complicating the matter are pre-paid and post-paid options, multiple available promotions/data plans, and in the case of TOT, re-sellers (MVNOs).

http://www.truemove....3g/en/ipad.html

http://www.truemove....i_area_bkk.html

http://www.i-bkk.com/ilocation/viewer/

http://www.tot3g.net/default.aspx

http://www.iec3g.com/web/home.php

http://www.i-mobile3gx.com/main/

http://www.i-kool.net/th/index.php

http://www.mojo3g.com/

http://www.365.co.th/store/

It might help if you could describe in as much detail as possible, your requirements (for example your monthly usage), and even your "...very bad internet connection in my house...". Assuming you had a PC, you could have bought a 3G modem, for example. I am not sure why you bought an iPad, although they are cool, and as a AAPL shareholder I am pleased.

I don´t have a PC, I have Macbook pro, and an iPad, and I want unlimited internet access.

However, I am getting a little confused here, I went to the links above, it often mentions EDGE/GPRS as an option, for example in this link --> http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

Is there a difference between True EDGE/GPRS and 1-2-call EDGE/GPRS? Because my 1-2-call EDGE/GPRS is the one that takes about 20 seconds to load a single page.

My MacBook Pro & Air work great Bluetooth tethered to my IPhone with True unlimited 3G plan

TrueMove now cap their 3G at 3 GB per month. If you have an original "unlimited" plan then you will be transitioned off that by True in the near future.

AFAIK, there are no truly unlimited 3G data plans, while there are many unlimited 2G data plans.

Again I think we'd love to help the OP but they really haven't provided enough detail to offer recommendations.

Location?

Length of stay?

Budget?

Monthly usage?

Mobility required?

Any voice/SMS/MMS requirements?

Post-paid or pre-paid?

For fixed-broadband applications then DSL/WiFi are ideal. I'd try to get a DSL line or ask to share, and pay, WiFi with a neighbor.

If that is not possible then options become more limited. Using 3G as a fixed broadband replacement is challenging, and perhaps viable for just a few, given fair-use limits.

I guess you could tether your iPad (I am pretty sure you can do this with an iPad, but maybe it needs to be hacked?) by using it with 3G and then sharing WiFi from the iPad to the Mac. Or you could get a MiFi device,

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/3g_mifi.html

and then connect your iPad and Mac to it via WiFi.

True have a 3 GB monthly plan for 699 baht, which also includes 3 GB of 2G (EDGE/GPRS) and unlimited WiFi (new login every 60 min, I think). Can you see a True WiFi AP? That would be good.

You can also look at some of the TOT 3G MVNO promotions, they change often so I am not u to speed on the best package currently.

Obviously you should verify coverage, True or TOT before purchase(s).

Edited by lomatopo

TrueMove now cap their 3G at 3 GB per month. If you have an original "unlimited" plan then you will be transitioned off that by True in the near future.

AFAIK, there are no truly unlimited 3G data plans, while there are many unlimited 2G data plans.

I am only gonna surf the internet, read news, forums, check email, etc, so I think 3GB would actually be enough for me. The reason why I say I want unlimited, is because I don´t wanna have to keep track on time as soon as I connect to the internet.

Again I think we'd love to help the OP but they really haven't provided enough detail to offer recommendations.

Location?

Length of stay?

Budget?

Monthly usage?

Mobility required?

Post-paid or pre-paid?

I only want to be able to surf the internet, read news, forums, check email, no heavy downloading, file share or p2p etc....

I want to be able to use the internet where ever I go, without having to constantly change connection/network, search for new connections, type in new passwords etc.

I want to have a decent connection, that means, a regular news page with a few small pictures and some text will load in about 2 seconds, not as it is now 20 seconds.

I am located around lower Sukhumvit to Ekkamai, Ratchada, Asoke, praram 9, up to Huay Kwang, mainly the mainstream expat areas.

I am looking for the best option based on above criterias, and have the budget of what a regular person would pay. That is, probably anything from 200 thb to 900 thb for a good connection per month

No calling, no SMS, MMS only light internet surfing.

I live here

Post or pre paid, does not matter.

In addition, I have pretty much given up on the connection at home, it is what it is. What I am really concerned about, is how to get my iPad connected in the best possible way, based on the above mentioned criteria

True have a 3 GB monthly plan for 699 baht, which also includes 3 GB of 2G (EDGE/GPRS) and unlimited WiFi (new login every 60 min, I think). Can you see a True WiFi AP? That would be good.

In my apartment I can see truewifi hotspot network.

Do you know if EDGE/GPRS offered by True is the same as 1-2-call? Because as I said, I use EDGE/GPRS with 1-2-call now, and it is not good at all.

Edited by aehn

I use EDGE with either DTAC or AIS out here in the sticks as the nearest WCDMA base station to me that I know of is about 70 km away.

I normally use a D Happy card and get 70 hours of internet for around 200 baht + VAT and I certainly don't take 25 seconds to load a page, more like 1 or 2.

Nationwide meaning the whole nation will not be complete by mid 2012 as it is physically impossible to make 12,xxx base stations between CAT and True in that time.

I retired from building cellular networks 2 years ago after 22 years and unless they want to spend a lot of money on contractors they are not going to make it.

Big cities, small cities, big and small towns and the main roads is easy but there is a lot of space in Thailand where True and CAT are not available but AIS and DTAC are.

I believe there's TOT 3G, and there are about 5 resellers, such as Imobile, IEC, I-fox, etc.

I am only gonna surf the internet, read news, forums, check email, etc, so I think 3GB would actually be enough for me. The reason why I say I want unlimited, is because I don´t wanna have to keep track on time as soon as I connect to the internet.

Location?

Length of stay?

Budget?

Monthly usage?

Mobility required?

Post-paid or pre-paid?

I only want to be able to surf the internet, read news, forums, check email, no heavy downloading, file share or p2p etc....

I want to be able to use the internet where ever I go, without having to constantly change connection/network, search for new connections, type in new passwords etc.

I want to have a decent connection, that means, a regular news page with a few small pictures and some text will load in about 2 seconds, not as it is now 20 seconds.

I am located around lower Sukhumvit to Ekkamai, Ratchada, Asoke, praram 9, up to Huay Kwang, mainly the mainstream expat areas.

I am looking for the best option based on above criterias, and have the budget of what a regular person would pay. That is, probably anything from 200 thb to 900 thb for a good connection per month

No calling, no SMS, MMS only light internet surfing.

I live here

Post or pre paid, does not matter.

In addition, I have pretty much given up on the connection at home, it is what it is. What I am really concerned about, is how to get my iPad connected in the best possible way, based on the above mentioned criteria

In my apartment I can see truewifi hotspot network.

Do you know if EDGE/GPRS offered by True is the same as 1-2-call? Because as I said, I use EDGE/GPRS with 1-2-call now, and it is not good at all.

GPRS/EDGE is a separate service, as is the WiFi network, so stop going on about it. :)

The TRUE 3G service looks good for you. Does your iPad have a SIM slot? If so, you can put either the True 3G or TOT 3G sim directly into the iPad. For your Mac Book Pro you can use the MiFi or the Aircard from TRUE.

The aforementioned TRUE package for 699 baht plus VAT looks good for you, as the free use of WiFi hotspots looks as if it will cover you anyway. The 3G component is just a bonus. Forget about GPRS/EDGE, that only kicks in if 3G is not available in your location.

You are way off.

I have been using TOT 3G for over a year. It works in most of Bangkok. Even in Nonthaburi.

The speeds are very fast.

I have a True 3G plan for B599/month which I *think* is the one that used to be unlimited 3G -- I get 3GB/month 3G data. If/when I use up the 3GB allocation, I get unlimited EDGE. I also get unlimited free True WiFi hotspot use.

I have a True 3G plan for B599/month which I *think* is the one that used to be unlimited 3G -- I get 3GB/month 3G data. If/when I use up the 3GB allocation, I get unlimited EDGE. I also get unlimited free True WiFi hotspot use.

Yours is PostPaid.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

• 1 month later...

Forget EDGE and GPRS, these are standards of the past. RIP

Nowdays all high speed wireless Internet is based on CDMA and WCDMA technology from Qualcomm.

The only true unlimited 3G wireless Internet is available from CAT CDMA with their EV-DO Revision A network covering 70% of all the Kingdom's area.

The coverage map is available here: CAT CDMA Coverage in Thailand

Every single CAT CDMA tower is marked on the Google map. It's easy to find the nearest CAT CDMA tower in your area. If there are no mountains blocking the signal you can expect the range up to 20 or 30 kilometres from the tower. The range can be extended to 50 kilometres or more with the help of a directional antenna installed 10 metres above the ground.

CAT CDMA has both Prepaid and Postpaid options for their 3G service.

Very convenient for short-term visitors is their Prepaid "Net SIM 3G Unlimited".

In any CAT CDMA shop you can buy the so-called "Net SIM 3G Unlimited" SIM card. The cost of this SIM card is only 69.- Baht.

It comes with 24 hours of unlimited high-speed Internet already included in the price.

I have tested this fantastic service in Nongkhai, North Eastern Thailand.

The maximum download speed is 3.1 megabits per second.. The maximum upload speed is 1.8 megabits per second.

Please see the screenshots below.

This is a prepaid service. It means that at any time you can stop using it, and then you don't need to pay any monthly fee if you are not using it!

At any time you can resume this service. You just need to top up the prepaid balance at any Big C supermarket or at any KTB Bank ATM machine anywhere in Thailand.

You have a choice to top up:

• Top up 45.- Baht and get 1 day of fully unlimited high speed Internet (3.1 Mbps)
  • Top up 399.- Baht and get 15 days of fully unlimited high speed Internet (3.1 Mbps)

Thus the monthly cost is around 800.- Baht if you need to use Internet every day.

The EVDO modems are available over here in Nongkhai for 1,500.- Baht.

You need to buy an EVDO modem to be able to use this service.

Just send me a private message for more details.

EVDO-Speed-05.JPG

EVDO-Download-01.jpg

post-54052-0-35214500-1310274484_thumb.j

Edited by Barin