Rubber Trees

Hey guys - do'nt get me wrong - i love this place and lifestyle, i'm just saying when you struggle to make ends meet for 3 years now, it can sometimes grind you down, my missus more so than me. I just need a box of Chang a week, electric bills paid so i can play with my toys in the workshop and i'm happy.

Glenn, very happy with the E10, now it's had 12k spent on it inc. a complete new clutch inc all hydraulics. I see you're advertising the plot of trees where you are cutting for sale, over on UM. Now hanging onto it or what? The other plot i understand, but trees which are earning money? How's the Pizza shop going?

David, when the weather cooled off, our plot of 1900 trees was doing 105 kgs per cut, 2 on, one off, that equated to 4725 baht per day.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike,

all's on the block, nothing in life is permanent and even less here. If it sells for a decent price I may stay, I may go, I don't know yet. Pizza shop is slow but operating, and if I had a good thai manager I think there are plenty of possibilities for pizza and burgers, but if isn't likely to happen. The rest of the story will be more appropriate over a beer down the road.

Glad the e10 didn't cost you too much to bring up to spec (cough cough 12k!?) but all in I guess that's not bad, I hope. On the 'making ends meet' topic, I was mostly jesting about strapping on the headlight and mozy cream, but if you're in a temporary jam maybe that's not so bad an idea for a season if it gets you over the hump. 1000 trees nightly you could cover you farm with a one on one off rotation..... after that you could write songs and stories in your downtime. Just a thought ;)

Hey guys - do'nt get me wrong - i love this place and lifestyle, i'm just saying when you struggle to make ends meet for 3 years now, it can sometimes grind you down, my missus more so than me. I just need a box of Chang a week, electric bills paid so i can play with my toys in the workshop and i'm happy.

Glenn, very happy with the E10, now it's had 12k spent on it inc. a complete new clutch inc all hydraulics. I see you're advertising the plot of trees where you are cutting for sale, over on UM. Now hanging onto it or what? The other plot i understand, but trees which are earning money? How's the Pizza shop going?

David, when the weather cooled off, our plot of 1900 trees was doing 105 kgs per cut, 2 on, one off, that equated to 4725 baht per day.

Regards,

Mike.

good trees !... 45bt/kilo? ..think we got 43 the other day but cup is discounted for water content 8-10%....my vague figuring was net.

it is what it is.......the more you calculate ....lol

I called yang shop today here.85 bart per kilo.Should go up after Chinese new year,next week.85 maybe 86 per kilo.we just dropped 4kg over 45 rai today.So I guess this is the downhill towards the end of season now.Still ,happy while it lasts.I'm not holding my breath for over 100 per kilo next season.Not while this gov is in.Maybe in there last year they'll give over 100 per kilo,trying to suck up for some extra votes for the next election.Farmers down here who have been farmers for many generations here in Thai,all say the same thing.''farmers get 1 good year in 3 generally.''

• Like 1

Just had an idiot neighbor light his fields on fire and then went home to leave it to burn unattended. As one might expect the fire didn't observe the fence line and got on our farm. Lost 20, 2 yr old trees. Could have been much worse. Anyone know if there is any legal action we can take? I am less concerned about the loss than the likelihood of this happening again. My wife figures there is nothing that can be done, local village headman is useless. Wife says police wont be interested. Suggestions?

Edited by Dakling

Just had an idiot neighbor light his fields on fire and then went home to leave it to burn unattended. As one might expect the fire didn't observe the fence line and got on our farm. Lost 20, 2 yr old trees. Could have been much worse. Anyone know if there is any legal action we can take? I am less concerned about the loss than the likelihood of this happening again. My wife figures there is nothing that can be done, local village headman is useless. Wife says police wont be interested. Suggestions?

1st stop go see your Puy Yai, and if that doesn't work go see the Kamnam.. If that does not work go see the police. Take photos showing the damage. We had a similar thing happen. The Kamnam was my wife's BIL, and the other folks bribed him to ignore it. My wife went to the police. We got the trees replaced, and the Kamnam had to repay the bribe. Boy was he cheesed off with us. 555

Hard one, you can push it, but be careful about how many waves you make. If your wife is saying forget it, there may be a reason.

Thais usually sort this type of thing out at a village level, so listen to your wife.

Or you could do what Brit on the main road from me did. Had some problem with one of his neighbors in the village, stealing. Anyway he went to the village head, village head didn't want to know. Guy he was complaining about just happened to walk by, Brit stepped out of the village heads house and decked the guy, in front of all the village. Jim

Rough justice administered on the spot, Got to be careful on that one as it's a sumarily deportable offence or the monkey house, depends on the payout involved as to where you end up. regards from Rubberpatch

Hard one, you can push it, but be careful about how many waves you make. If your wife is saying forget it, there may be a reason.

Thais usually sort this type of thing out at a village level, so listen to your wife.

Or you could do what Brit on the main road from me did. Had some problem with one of his neighbors in the village, stealing. Anyway he went to the village head, village head didn't want to know. Guy he was complaining about just happened to walk by, Brit stepped out of the village heads house and decked the guy, in front of all the village. Jim

Rough justice administered on the spot, Got to be careful on that one as it's a sumarily deportable offence or the monkey house, depends on the payout involved as to where you end up. regards from Rubberpatch

Out this neck of the woods, the Brit could have put a 9 mil in the guys head, few questions would be asked. Shooting a yabba junkie is done often enough by the local police.. He has been here a long time, 3 kids, big extended family, many of which are local cops. Body would have been dumped in the jungle and forgotten.

He lives in a policed area, unlike me, no police only soldiers. Justice is dispensed in what might be called a Star Chamber. Bad people get told to leave to BKK. Not a year goes by where the border army does not retrieve bodies from the jungle.

Have no front door or locks on the bedroom doors. Live in a border village, houses, huts all cramped together for protection. Come here and do bad things and you won't live to see the sun rise. Everyone has guns [except me ] I just borrow. Jim

• Like 2

FIL burned down huge grass and the eucalyptus trees of the neighbour have been affected.

My GF had to pay 7000 as compensation (as FIL has no money)...

So usually he has to pay but... TIT ;-)

Bye,

Derk

Out this neck of the woods, the Brit could have put a 9 mil in the guys head, few questions would be asked. Shooting a yabba junkie is done often enough by the local police.. He has been here a long time, 3 kids, big extended family, many of which are local cops. Body would have been dumped in the jungle and forgotten.

He lives in a policed area, unlike me, no police only soldiers. Justice is dispensed in what might be called a Star Chamber. Bad people get told to leave to BKK. Not a year goes by where the border army does not retrieve bodies from the jungle.

Have no front door or locks on the bedroom doors. Live in a border village, houses, huts all cramped together for protection. Come here and do bad things and you won't live to see the sun rise. Everyone has guns [except me ] I just borrow. Jim

LOL James ,million ways to skin a cat.

Sold yesterday84 perkilo,kee yang was 47 per liko.had another 9mm of rain and leaves still there.Amazing ,this season.Last year our house farm closed 30th of January.but mountain was still going strong.This year all is going well on both farms.

Saw yesterday.Japan was $327 per ton .When it was $310 per ton we were 85 bart per kilo.Some body please explain.Please tell me gov is not interfering.I'll try my best to believe it,but cant promiss anything

• Like 1

Solar powered water pumps:

I have just gotten back to this wonderful string on rubber trees. I was on holiday with family for three weeks. I have been designing an irrigation system for our 25 rai in Isaan where we have 15 rai already planted with 600s. Some trees are 5.5 years old and half are 2 years old. I would like use solar power since our land is off the electrical grid. I found that a pump system with solar producing 7500 liter/day from a well depth no greater than 15 meters deep will run in the area of $17,000.00 US dollars. (Price was 3 years ago) Battery replacement will be required every 4 to 6 years. Check out; Leonics at 27, 219 27, 29 Soi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thailand27, 29 Soi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, ThailandSoi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thialand Phone: (66) 2746-9500 http://www.leonics.com/index.php

Leonics designs power and water systems for areas off the grid throughout Asai.

I should clarify the solar panels and pump are $7,500.00 US dollars plus; Concrete block pump house, well drilled and cased, 10,000 liters of storage tanks plus piping, valves and to 2,200 rubber trees with 1.5 meters of soaker hose at each tree.

I hope this is useful info for you.

Weak dollar, strong Baht, farmers life.

Stopped tapping all or trees now, could still tap some, but figure better to leave them to rest. That may make them get back to full output sooner. Jim

Thanks for that Jim..I said I would try my best to believe it,and I DO .So thanks for that.

We will keep tapping in this area untill all seeds are fully formed.So as when the trees are resting all goodness goes into the tree not the seeds.Everybody or 90% of people in this area do this

Solar powered water pumps:

I have just gotten back to this wonderful string on rubber trees. I was on holiday with family for three weeks. I have been designing an irrigation system for our 25 rai in Isaan where we have 15 rai already planted with 600s. Some trees are 5.5 years old and half are 2 years old. I would like use solar power since our land is off the electrical grid. I found that a pump system with solar producing 7500 liter/day from a well depth no greater than 15 meters deep will run in the area of $17,000.00 US dollars. (Price was 3 years ago) Battery replacement will be required every 4 to 6 years. Check out; Leonics at 27, 219 27, 29 Soi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thailand27, 29 Soi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, ThailandSoi Bangna-Trad 34, Bangna, Bangkok 10260, Thialand Phone: (66) 2746-9500 http://www.leonics.com/index.php

Leonics designs power and water systems for areas off the grid throughout Asai.

I should clarify the solar panels and pump are $7,500.00 US dollars plus; Concrete block pump house, well drilled and cased, 10,000 liters of storage tanks plus piping, valves and to 2,200 rubber trees with 1.5 meters of soaker hose at each tree.

I hope this is useful info for you.

If you want to spend that kind of money for a pumping system, as they say up to you.

I'm not on a grid either so I use a genset, take it out daily with the quad and back to the house when finished.

I see half the solar powered warning lights on the highway missing their panels after a while. I'd be worried about the solar array being a BIG target for light fingers, not to mention the upkeep on batteries, wiring system etc.

I've got a borehole, cost 30,000 baht three years ago.

submersible pump, around 15,000 baht three years ago.

New 3000KW genset for 9,000 baht, bought two days ago. The one I bought 3 years ago, after approx 2,000hrs of use and being repaired several times, went to the spare parts box in my shop

Holding tank, blue pipe and black irrigation hose, 25, 0000 baht this year

I pump about 8,000 liters in the morning to water 2 sections of a 15 rai plot that's divided into 6 pieces. approx 30 liters per tree every 3rd day.

If had to spend the kind of money your talking about for solar I wouldn't be doing it.

Ken

• Like 2

Me neither.

In fact, replace the odd 5-10% that die in the first year of planting, once up and running in year two, thats it, they'll all survive, water or no water. It's a rubber tree, it will get it's water in the rainy season. It will survive the dry season. It is also a business, me and the wife have done most of the work on our plantations, my money input, and there is only so much i want to invest, before i want my returns. No point throwing money at it. Fertiliser costs are dear enough. Grasscutting takes up enough of my time.

Mike.

Gentlemen,

I came to the same conclusion three years ago. It would greatly reduce my long term profitability. I just want to share what I had found out through alot of research with the person that was considdering solar earlier this blog. We also are going to a generator placed in a concete block house with a concrete roof and steel door. My wifes father lives on his farm located next to our 25 rai so we have some security close at hand.

Thank you all for all of the truely valuable information that has been discussed here.

FBrunhoff

Lucky our trees are asleep, rubber prices falling like a stone again, this time it is the Governments fault.

Rubber buyers feel that in March, when the 6 month Government plan to stockpile rubber, to keep the price up, ends, the Government will dump all the rubber on the market. The Government is not denying it, so looks bad for the start of the season, 300,000 tons dumped on the market.

Time to stockpile your self if you can afford to, wish Government would just keep out and let the market decide. Jim

• Like 2

One of the ag ministeries reported massive losses of government stored rubber sheet, due to spoilage. He also said, after March, no more govt. support, as rubber price is high enough.

Might not be any good sheet to dump on market.

One of the ag ministeries reported massive losses of government stored rubber sheet, due to spoilage. He also said, after March, no more govt. support, as rubber price is high enough.

Might not be any good sheet to dump on market.

Som Nam Na. Spoiled rice, spoiled rubber, what's next?

If this program follows the past storage scams, the spoilage is just a clean up/cover up for farm product that has gone missing.

The northern Thai equate bribes/theft of public funds (translation to English) to the "politicans eating" I guess if you put rats in charge of the cheese, what they do not eat, they piss on and ruin it for anyone else.

Thailand politicans seem to aspire and have the connections obtain a position for which they have no experience, knowledge, nor intent to put any effort into serving those nor to benifit those for which it is intended.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 1

Guys, I rarely bother you with a post as I know sh*it about Rubber however, this was in the Stockbrokers morning news and thought it might interest you ...

Rubber Trades Near Two-Month Low on Chinese Stockpiles, PMI Data
[bloomberg]

Rubber declined for a fifth day and traded near a two-month low as stockpiles
increased in China, the largest consumer, and a survey showed the country’s
manufacturing may expand this month at a slower rate.

The contract for July delivery on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange fell as much as 0.8 percent to 294.6 yen a kilogram ($3,132 a metric ton), approaching the two-month low of 292.7 reached Feb. 21, and was at 295.9 yen at 10:52 a.m.

Futures have declined 2.2 percent this year.

The preliminary reading of a Purchasing Managers’ Index was 50.4 in
February, according to a statement from HSBC Holdings Plc and Markit Economics
today.

That compares with the 52.3 final reading for January and the 52.2 median
estimate of 11 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg News.

A number above 50 indicates expansion.

Inventories monitored by the Shanghai Futures Exchange rose
2,401 tons to 102,416 tons, the bourse said Feb. 22.

It was the highest level since March 2010.

Guys, I rarely bother you with a post as I know sh*it about Rubber however, this was in the Stockbrokers morning news and thought it might interest you ...

[bloomberg]

The contract for July delivery on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange fell as much as 0.8 percent to 294.6 yen a kilogram ($3,132 a metric ton), approaching the two-month low of 292.7 reached Feb. 21, and was at 295.9 yen at 10:52 a.m.

today.

[bloomberg]

today.

More doom and gloom! And I was thinking throwing another 9 mill into a bigger rubber farm. Hmmm? Any one see any long term forcasts?

Gregj

Wouldn't you need an export licence Glenn. tbh even as far South aAs Ranong I wouldn't consider it. The wife's half sister has a sator business. They send a pick up to buy it in Malaysia I don't know the mechanics of it though.