British Ecstasy Dealer Sentenced To 7 Years Jail

george

Phuket Gazette:

British Ecstasy dealer jailed

PHUKET: -- Briton Jason Crosby today pleaded guilty to charges of possession of 50 ya E (Ecstasy) tablets with intent to sell and was sentenced to nearly seven years in jail and fined 390,000 baht by Phuket Provincial Court.

The court initially sentenced him to 13 years and eight months in prison and a 780,000-baht fine but, in accordance with standard practice, Judge Somsak Laksanasomboon halved the sentence because Crosby had pleaded guilty.

Crosby, 33, was arrested on April 22 last year at the Scott Bar in Patong by Pol Capt Pongsak Petchnongkhum, Deputy Inspector of Investigation of Police Region 8.

Capt Pongsak, who testified in the case, told the Gazette after the sentencing that he had arrested Crosby in a sting operation at the bar.

After Crosby sold 30 hits of ya E for 800 baht apiece to a man the po lice had pose as a buyer, Capt Pongsak, who was working undercover, moved in and made the arrest.

“He admitted that the drugs belonged to him and that he had smuggled them into the country from Britain. When we searched his room on Nanai Rd we found 20 more tablets in a large bottle.

“Based on the large size of the bottle, I actually think he smuggled in about 1,000 pills. We also found a lot of other drug paraphernalia in his room,” said the officer.

Crosby today began serving his sentence at Phuket Provincial Prison, where he has been in custody since his arrest, the court having denied his attempts to get bail.

The time already served since his arrest more than 17 months ago will not be deducted from his sentence.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-10-05

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murderers and rapists get bail. 

But a few bloody pills, u have in yours pants full of shit.

Life is a joke!

Put this bloody thread in the jokes section, please!

Yes, so kill or rape in Thailand, but do not get involved with drugs!!!

(but when you go to europe do not kill or rape anymore, but play drugs instead! ;-) )

Same drug those creeps in Aruba gave the Holloway kid. Along with booze, it apparently mows down all defenses. Seven years in the slammer isn't enough. But it should make others think twice. Should move him to BKK though. I understand the accomodations are a bit more austere

apparently mows down all defenses.  Seven years in the slammer isn't enough.

You are on another planet... As said before, murderers can get bail... For 30 pills no... This is insane.

More and more, Thailand from a "justice" point of view looks like Saudi Arabia.

Soon, we will have the "charia". What do you want ? Public flagellation for drug dealers, or maybe cut off some hands ? Ah no, I guess you would prefer lapidation. Yeah, I think people like you are a bunch of "stoners".

This should arouse you, isn't it ?

There is one essential concept in any "rational" legal system : the sentence must be proportionate to the offense.

So a blood crime = death sentence or life emprisonnement for instance. Easy to understand.

In this regard, life emprisonnement for drugs dealing, or 7 years for 30 pills, i'm sorry, but it make no sense.

Edited by cclub75

Drug dealing is an offence "committed with malice aforethought".

Lots of "blood crimes" are done without being planned in any way whatsoever. Some result from a completely unexpected provocation.

So there is no logic in saying that all 'blood crimes' should get bigger sentences than 'non-blood' crimes.

Personally, I regard drug dealing as a 'blood crime' anyway; and a particularly vicious one, as the drugs may well end up ruining the life of a young person.

Any society has the right to make rules to protect its young, and if Thailand has made these rules it is up to visitors to obey them, or have the promulgated sanctions applied.

Life is a joke!

Yes, so kill or rape in Thailand, but do not get involved with drugs!!!

(but when you go to europe do not kill or rape anymore, but play drugs instead! ;-) )

Yup , ass backwards in thailand .

Same drug those creeps in Aruba gave the Holloway kid.  Along with booze, it apparently mows down all defenses.  Seven years in the slammer isn't enough. But it should make others think twice.  Should move him to BKK though.  I understand the accomodations are a bit more austere

How do we know ? I thought it was a roofie or rohipnol .

You are on another planet... As said before, murderers can get bail... For 30 pills no... This is insane.

Ask yourself how many people can ONE drug dealer kill or ruin the life of? Also it wasn't 30 pills if you read the whole text, it was estimated he could have brought in as many as a 1,000.

No sympathy here either as Ecstasy is mainly aimed at teenage clubbers. Maybe you would think again if you had a teenager who was at risk.

Edited by Anon999

The time already served since his arrest more than 17 months ago will not be deducted from his sentence.

Whaat?  :D

"Whaat" !! What does that mean. Are you suggesting that this low life is being hard done by ?? :o

Probably more a case of shock as it's not in keeping with what MOST of the world's developed nations have built into their sentencing guidelines. Certainly proves Thailand is quite distant from that status in this regard.

Extremely disingenuous of the court to sentence a person to 7 years, but then disregard nearly 1-1/2 years previously served. Why not just be above board and come out with a sentence of 8-1/2 years?

Edited by sriracha john

Before and after.... :o

what is this pic ?

Thai Prison would be my wager!!! :D Further inspection before/after pic of someone who's meth addict. :D

Yup - that's what meth does - I've seen good people go down the tubes with that, coke, and X. The penalty for that stuff here is stiff, but if you wanna dance, you gotta be willing to pay the piper... The warnings have been sent out, are on the immigration forms as you come in.

Thailand is no longer a heroin trading center of the world as it was in the early 70's - and this is one of the methods that knocked it down.

Life is a joke!

Murders and rapists get bail in the western world too.

If the issue is bail, maybe being a foreigner there was a risk of flight?

I'm sure that if a foreigner in your own home country was charged with a serious offence, then chances are bail would also be refused for the same reason.

Totally rediculous sentancing..

Police estimate he probably brought in 1000 pills (nice round number) jusdging by the size of the container they found some others in ?!?!? <deleted> !!!

50 pills could be gone through in 5 - 8 sessions by a heavy user.. Hard night on E probably less damaging socially and physically than a hard night on cheap alchohol..

I hope all the drug takers join him as soon as possable no pity for fools only horses

java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

apparently mows down all defenses.  Seven years in the slammer isn't enough.

More and more, Thailand from a "justice" point of view looks like Saudi Arabia.

Soon, we will have the "charia". What do you want ? Public flagellation for drug dealers, or maybe cut off some hands ? Ah no, I guess you would prefer lapidation. Yeah, I think people like you are a bunch of "stoners".

This should arouse you, isn't it ?

There is one essential concept in any "rational" legal system : the sentence must be proportionate to the offense.

So a blood crime = death sentence or life emprisonnement for instance. Easy to understand.

In this regard, life emprisonnement for drugs dealing, or 7 years for 30 pills, i'm sorry, but it make no sense.

:o:D

Now lets see what does it say when you fill out the form for immigration something like drug trafficing includes penalties up to and including death as I recall.

How many of you would walk up to the booth at the airport and play russian roulette to enter the county? Not I for sure.

As for the bail issue. For a tourist to be issued bail on a crime where he is obviously guilty and likely to try and avoid the judicial process by leaving the county bail is not normally granted. So if you get put in jail here you are likly not to be granted bail since you are a flight risk. It does not matter what the offence is white collar crimes included you by virtue of the fact being a tourist have no ties to the local comunity. House, land, property, job, family(not just a commen law or short term marrage) other ties to the local community that would make you not a flight risk. Honestly if you had to lose $50,000 so you did not have to spend 13 years in a Thai jail would you? How about $100,000, $200,000??? and if you did run and get back to your county and were arrested would your goverment allow your repatriation to Thailand for continued prosicution and possibly the death penalty?

Our western countries grant bail too easy in my opinion maybe they should look at Thailand as an example...

The warnings are clear, and printed in not only travel information, but on large notices all over the airport. You also "sign your life away" when you put your signature on that immigration form. I clearly states the penalties for posessing drugs. Why, I ask myself are people so stupid?

He can think himself lucky it was Thailand, and not elsewhere in SE Asia where the sentence could have been much more severe.

Our western countries grant bail too easy in my opinion maybe they should look at Thailand as an example...

Yes... wonderful system here...a model system for the rest of the world to follow where a brutal double murderer who had already fled previously to another country is granted bail upon his return to Thailand:

Absurdity of Thai Bail System

:o

In my opinion, he holds the same status as the murdering seperatist in the south of Thailand. They kill without thinking about it.

Providing a drug used mostly by teenagers is irresponsible. It is a drug that kills.

Would the people saying his punishment is too harsh complain if his drugs killed a 16 year old girl at a party? Would they blame the girl for taking the drug or the dealer who sold it?

Maybe an adult used the drug and gets in their car to drive and kills someone crossing the street.

I think he got off light. I think when he returns to his country he should be put in prision again for international drug trafficing.

Maybe they can toss in the charge of Stupidity. Selling/using illegal drugs in Thailand is just plain stupid. I hope he enjoys the rest of his time in Phuket.