Bicycle Bags

hpwheelman

OK, I am looking for a place to buy affordable bike bags/panniers. Meaning 1000 - 2000 baht. It would be my first set of bags and I want to spend a little first and figure out a few things before I go and spend 5000 or so baht on the pricier bags out there. But I cant find any place selling them like that. I am located Just outside of BKK in the Nakohm Pathom area (Mahidol University/Phutthamonthon) if that helps. I need the bags because I ride into and out of the city every weekend and no longer want to ride with a backpack. Any help at all is appreciated

anyone know how to change forums? I made a mistake...

Well your in Chiang Mai right? Have you considered having something custom made? There are a few luggage shops on the road towards Doi Saket, shortly after the bridge. Haven't had any thing made yet, but have been quoted under 2000 for custom panniers similar to the Wolfman line.

anyone know how to change forums? I made a mistake...

Well your in Chiang Mai right? Have you considered having something custom made? There are a few luggage shops on the road towards Doi Saket, shortly after the bridge. Haven't had any thing made yet, but have been quoted under 2000 for custom panniers similar to the Wolfman line.

No, I am not in Chiang Mai, I am in the BKK area as I said in my OP. I noticed after posting that I was in the Chiang Mai forum, that is why I asked how to change forums. But if I am up in the Chiang Mai area anytime soon, I will look into it.

Thanks

You might get the bags made for 1000, but the rack will cost 1500 or so. Just get some tiogas in the 2400 territory. If you're not using them much, just use a backpack. Many people (me included) bust their first set and then wind up buying ortliebs and modding those afterwards. Cheap panniers are false economy, because they really do cop some abuse.

What do you want to try/experiment with? Ask around, people might have some answers for you :)

P.S if you are planning to tour out of bangkok, so am I and I'd like to meet others who are keen.

W

You can get some good quality panniers for less than 2000 baht. They are normally branded Merida (but actually may be a dutch design) and they are waterproof and well made. In Bangkok you should find them at any semi decent bike shop ie the ones that sell Giant , Trek, Kona , Merida bikes.

You might get the bags made for 1000, but the rack will cost 1500 or so. Just get some tiogas in the 2400 territory. If you're not using them much, just use a backpack. Many people (me included) bust their first set and then wind up buying ortliebs and modding those afterwards. Cheap panniers are false economy, because they really do cop some abuse.

What do you want to try/experiment with? Ask around, people might have some answers for you :)

P.S if you are planning to tour out of bangkok, so am I and I'd like to meet others who are keen.

W

Ill fit the rack after I get the bags, but where specifically can i find tiogas? I know of pro bikes *( ive checked their website, is the selection different inside?) and been to the bike shops at Armani plaza. Other then that I don't know where to go for bags.

You can get some good quality panniers for less than 2000 baht. They are normally branded Merida (but actually may be a dutch design) and they are waterproof and well made. In Bangkok you should find them at any semi decent bike shop ie the ones that sell Giant , Trek, Kona , Merida bikes.

The only place I know selling merida bikes has no bags, and the only other places i have seen selling some of those bikes (trek and giant) did not sell bags either. So, where specifically can I go to find them?

W

Most of my rides right now are into Bangkok from Salaya either Thursday night or Friday morning, takes me about 2 hours, but I am just starting out so I expect ill get faster in time, and going back from around the Mo Chit/Major Rachayotin theater area to Salaya/Mahidol area on Sunday nights. I would be interested in other rides, just as long as you are ok with the fact im fairly new to distance ridding, and I ride a mountain bike.

Just to be clear, I am less interested in the brands name as where I can actually go to a store or around Bangkok to find them. I am a touch and pull, open and examine kind of guy. So the names of bags are good, but I need to know where I can find them. (I am new to the bike world in Thailand)

They are easy to find in Chiang Mai but i know thats no help! In BKK i would try Probike, soi sarasin near a corner of lumpini park. They will surely have panniers. Another area with a selection of bike shops all close to each other is Luang road or Thanon Luang. The best directions i can give are the road is not too far from Hua Lampong train station if you are heading towards the Golden Mount. Another way to get to this road is take take the 147 bus outside MBK center. After about 2 km the bus should be Thanon Luang. Look out for the bike shops. and get off. There are 3 or 4 near each other.

Next door to BikeZone (same building, same level, 15 metres away), is a business that deal with Panniers and Racks, stuff that will get you thru the rainy days!

Taken from http://bicyclethailand.com/bike-stores/

Bike Zone (web) [Thailand Distributor: MARIN, CEEPO, QUINTANA ROO]

2nd Floor Outdoor Unlimited Zone, Amarin Plaza

496-502 Ploenchit Road

Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan

Tel. 026-521-558

GPS – N 13 44.621, E 100 32.483

Next door to BikeZone (same building, same level, 15 metres away), is a business that deal with Panniers and Racks, stuff that will get you thru the rainy days!

Taken from http://bicyclethaila...om/bike-stores/

Bike Zone (web) [Thailand Distributor: MARIN, CEEPO, QUINTANA ROO]

2nd Floor Outdoor Unlimited Zone, Amarin Plaza

496-502 Ploenchit Road

Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan

Tel. 026-521-558

GPS – N 13 44.621, E 100 32.483

... Yes, I have been there. The Ortlibs (spelling?) store right? Those bags are great, but like I said before, 1-2k max. And I did that today at the place listed above. Thanks for all the help guys, im got my bags. going to try and close the thread now.