Mom Is From Thailand-duel Possible?

My mom is from Bangkok and has dual citizenship for Thailand and the U.S.

I was born in the U.S. though. Am I eligible for any kind of Thai citizenship. My mom is moving back there in December and I thought it would be easier for me to visit back and forth with her if I had a thai passport.

Thanks in advance,

Fiona

I was born in the U.S. though. Am I eligible for any kind of Thai citizenship. My mom is moving back there in December and I thought it would be easier for me to visit back and forth with her if I had a thai passport.

Thanks in advance,

Fiona

my mom(half thai) has thai and nzl citizenship.

I have nzl citizenship by birth and thai citizenship by descent.

You can get Thai citizenship, but how you do it may depend on how old you are. I have two kids with both Thai and US citizenship. Since they are under school age, my wife and I filled out the forms to get Thai birth certificates and Thai passports for them.

As you were born in the US you should get your mum to apply to the Thai embassy in Washington for a Thai birth certificate and a Thai passport. Always enter and leave Thailand on the Thai passport. The forms should be downloadable from their website.

Once you get to Thailand, get your mum to then register you at her home register (tabien baan – she’ll know what this means) and you’ll have to then apply for an ID card with her.

If I've read Fairygurl's post correctly, her mother is half-Thai and she, therefore, is a quarter Thai. It is possible that her mother was born outside of Thailand, as was Fairygurl, in which case how far down the line of descent can one qualify for Thai nationality? Obviously, Thai and UK law are not synonymous, but under the British rules, someone born abroad to a British citizen parent who themself was born abroad, will not qualify for British citizenship.

Over to you Samran.

Scouse.

Edit:- Just noticed the first sentence of Fairygurl's post - "My mom is from Bangkok". Just ignore me.

If I've read Fairygurl's post correctly, her mother is half-Thai and she, therefore, is a quarter Thai. It is possible that her mother was born outside of Thailand, as was Fairygurl, in which case how far down the line of descent can one qualify for Thai nationality? Obviously, Thai and UK law are not synonymous, but under the British rules, someone born abroad to a British citizen parent who themself was born abroad, will not qualify for British citizenship.

Over to you Samran.

Scouse.

Edit:- Just noticed the first sentence of Fairygurl's post - "My mom is from Bangkok". Just ignore me.

I'm half Thai actually. I was born outside of Thailand though my mom may have married my birth father in Thailand. I will have to research that a bit more. Even more of a twist is that I now reside in Canada and will be getting Canadian Citizenship in the next few years. I would like to get this issue resolved though before that happens.

Im over 30years old is that makes any difference in applying.

Thanks

Fiona

As you were born in the US you should get your mum to apply to the Thai embassy in Washington for a Thai birth certificate and a Thai passport. Always enter and leave Thailand on the Thai passport. The forms should be downloadable from their website.

Once you get to Thailand, get your mum to then register you at her home register (tabien baan – she’ll know what this means) and you’ll have to then apply for an ID card with her.

Forgot to add that my mom was born in Thailand

Fiona

Fairygirl - Best to handle it through the Thai embassy in DC, given that you were born in the US. Get your mum to contact the embassy directly, as she’ll need to be involved in your application for your first passport and Birth Certificate.

Scouse - One of the beauties of the Thai nationality legislation is that it only proscribes that one be a child of a Thai national to gain Thai nationality, so as long as one parent is Thai, you can be born anywhere in the world and still gain Thai nationality. Those children born to PR’s though have to be born in Thailand though if they are to acquire Thai nationality.

• 2 weeks later...
Fairygirl - Best to handle it through the Thai embassy in DC, given that you were born in the US. Get your mum to contact the embassy directly, as she’ll need to be involved in your  application for your first passport and Birth Certificate.

Scouse - One of the beauties of the Thai nationality legislation is that it only proscribes that one be a child of a Thai national to gain Thai nationality, so as long as one parent is Thai, you can be born anywhere in the world and still gain Thai nationality. Those children born to PR’s though have to be born in Thailand though if they are to acquire Thai nationality.

Is it possible to do this without a lot of my moms involvment? She has the later stages of Parkinsons Disease and will not be able to do much beyone providing me with a copy of her Birth Certificate.

Thanks for everyones assistance

Fiona

Fairygurl.

There is information on this website giving details on how to initially obtain Thai birth certificate abroad, which is your first step (but it may be unreliable because it refers to Belgium of all places).

You will need more than you mothers birth certificate. That doesn't prove you are her daughter.

This is too serious an issue to be left to armchair pundits like me. Take Samrans advice. Phone then write - better still visit -the Thai consul (passports are consular matters) responsible for you state. DC embassy site will tell you which consul.

Because of your age and your mothers condition I am sure with the correct paperwork you can achieve your objective without her active involvement.

I was born in the U.S. though. Am I eligible for any kind of Thai citizenship.

Samran has already confirmed your eligibility for Thai citizenship. If you’re interested in reading the legal text you find Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508 here in English, and here in Thai.

Section 7(1) applies to you.

Section 14 is not being enforced, I understand from another thread in this forum, and at any rate does not apply to you as it must have been some years since you reached the age of 20.

Maestro,

Section 14. A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father and HAS ACQUIRES the nationality of his father according to the law on nationality of his father........is required, if he desires to retain his other nationality, to make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years.........

If, after consideration of the said intention, the Minister is of opinion that there is reasonable ground to believe that such person MAY ACQUIRE the nationality of his father......., he shall grant permission...........

I can't find the thread to which you refer.

However I don't see how S14 can be enforced since it don't make sense. Something lost in translation.

I hazard a guess that, despite the wording, the intended purpose of this clause was where a child with dual Thai/XXXX nationality was required by country XXXX to renounce his Thai nationality on reaching age of majority (probably 21 in most countries when this law was drafted) if he/she wished to retain XXXX nationality.

I also suspect few, if any, countries no longer recognize dual nationality. But as always I am guessing as I am too lazy to do further research.

Whatever it don't apply to the OP.

If whoever drafted S14 would like to come forward I can guarantee him a job with UK civil service and a knighthood. He would need to change his name to Humphrey..... (colonials and younger readers won't understand this).