General Constructor

joe5567

theres no such thing as a good thai builder talk to Kensington owned buy an english guy graham

they have a web site look them up forget thais there just farmers with a hammer

That is a lot of crap. There are many skilled Thais in all areas of construction. Most of the best houses in Chiang Mai are 100% Thai built.

theres no such thing as a good thai builder talk to Kensington owned buy an english guy graham

That is a lot of crap. There are many skilled Thais in all areas of construction. Most of the best houses in Chiang Mai are 100% Thai built.

well the 20 or so i looked at when i was thinking of buying one was not one of them shabby rubbish knocked up by farmers damp ill fitting doors

tilling that a drunk monkey would be ashamed of the plumping has more silicone on it than homepro has on its shelfs because they dont use plumper tape just

over tighten everything so its cracks and leaks so i dont take back what i said at all

they could not build a dog kennel fit for a soi dog

talk to Kensington the only building company in chiang mai thats has the first idea of what there doing if you want something from 5 mill up

and dont want a swimming pool in you living room every wet season that is you get what you pay for buy cheep buy twice

well the 20 or so i looked at when i was thinking of buying one was not one of them shabby rubbish knocked up by farmers damp ill fitting doors

tilling that a drunk monkey would be ashamed of the plumping has more silicone on it than homepro has on its shelfs because they dont use plumper tape just

over tighten everything so its cracks and leaks so i dont take back what i said at all

talk to Kensington the only building company in chiang mai thats has the first idea of what there doing if you want something from 5 mill up

and dont want a swimming pool in you living room every wet season that is you get what you pay for buy cheep buy twice

That is a lot more crap.

Who do suppose actually builds the homes for Kensington? Sure as hell isn't a Falang! It is Thai construction workers with Thai supervision..... Inasmuch as your criteria for a quality home is the foreign ownership of the developer, then try Jasmine (Very high quality) and there are quite a few more companies around town.

A previous post recommended a Falang supervisor, won't happen, construction & engineering are prohibited fields for Falangs.

The poor guy asking for a few builders to help with his house construction is probably wondering what is going on. Surely all building work here is done by Thais and obviously there are good ones and bad ones. I think it is probably the same everywhere and a bit of a gamble, here or in any other country. I had a few guys build a few things for me, strangely enough in the Maejo area and although I would probably use them again, I would not recommend them to someone else. I wouldn't want the hassle. The only advice I could give is to look around at different houses being built at different stages and have a look at their workmanship and if you think it is acceptable, then ask them to come to your place when they can. Good luck and keep an eye on your blood pressure.

...there are good ones and bad ones. I think it is probably the same everywhere and a bit of a gamble, here or in any other country...

That is not true. In places like California, Germany, Japan, etc. there are strict building codes. It has to be built properly to begin with. There are inspections, liability insurance, criminal liability and so forth. The builders, electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc. all have to be licensed and bonded.

Most of the buildings where I lived in Prague were 300+ years old. Some of the buildings where were almost 1000 years old and still standing! It was due to the quality craftsmanship. Newly erected buildings were built to the highest possible standards.

But I do agree that there are some excellent builders in Thailand. But there are too many 'builders' here that have only the most basic construction skills and no theory or formal education of how to do it properly or safely. Many use the cheapest materials that don't last.There is no oversight by anyone to assure safety. If you want quality you have to pay for it. But it is here. All you have to do is look.

...there are good ones and bad ones. I think it is probably the same everywhere and a bit of a gamble, here or in any other country...

That is not true. In places like California, Germany, Japan, etc. there are strict building codes. It has to be built properly to begin with. There are inspections, liability insurance, criminal liability and so forth. The builders, electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc. all have to be licensed and bonded.

Most of the buildings where I lived in Prague were 300+ years old. Some of the buildings where were almost 1000 years old and still standing! It was due to the quality craftsmanship. Newly erected buildings were built to the highest possible standards.

But I do agree that there are some excellent builders in Thailand. But there are too many 'builders' here that have only the most basic construction skills and no theory or formal education of how to do it properly or safely. Many use the cheapest materials that don't last.There is no oversight by anyone to assure safety. If you want quality you have to pay for it. But it is here. All you have to do is look.

While I agree with you on the standards of construction in the West. I think that you should be forthcoming about your 300-1000 year old structures.

These structures were typically constructed out of quarried stone, typically took decades to construct. The typical end user was the church or gentry of the land. The fact that these structures are in use today says more about the structural additions and upgrades that have been made in the last 100 years then the original construction.

The reason many old structures in SE Asia and elsewhere in the world have not received the same care is more about the end user (Religion) no longer being around than the quality of the work.

Finally, your assertion that it takes theory and formal education to properly construct a structure, well many if not most of the great cathedrals of Europe were constructed and designed by masons with absolutely no formal education. The true barometer in that day and age was "If it doesn't fall down, we are good to go!".

Unfortunately, most of the structural inovations that we see today are based upon the failures of the past. It isn't until a structural analysis of a failure is performed do solutions become developed. The Northridge earthquake in 1994 destroyed a lot of Masonry structures, the analysis of what happened during the quake, how the structure failed led to a total re-write of the building code in Los Angeles for masonry structures. In addition the new code mandated the retrofit of ALL masonry structures in LA County.

My take on it.....

There is one construction company on the canal road that claims to build sabai your dream house.

I won't recommend them at all.

I wish i had used Kensington or Jasmine, I've heard plenty of good things about both these companies.

Who do suppose actually builds the homes for Kensington? Sure as hell isn't a Falang! It is Thai construction workers with Thai supervision..... Inasmuch as your criteria for a quality home is the foreign ownership of the developer, then try Jasmine (Very high quality) and there are quite a few more companies around town.

A previous post recommended a Falang supervisor, won't happen, construction & engineering are prohibited fields for Falangs.

the guy is english hes from Cornwall hes name is graham i know him and he does over see every thing spends most of his days driving from job to job

checking everything

the guy is english hes from Cornwall hes name is graham i know him and he does over see every thing spends most of his days driving from job to job

checking everything

Get real, he isn't supervising the work, he is acting as QC/QA for the work something that any responsible company would do...... the work is still be performed by Thai's.

Or look at it this way, IF he actually had a "Good" team he wouldn't have to spend "Most of his days driving from job to job checking everything" it would already be done correctly!

• 4 months later...

I was thinking of using build sabai for the construction of my house. Can you give me some more details why you did not like them?

Has anyone heard about PD House? They seem like a prety big construction firm with offices everywhere.

Kensington made a good impresion but they charge extra for the architect drawings.

There is one construction company on the canal road that claims to build sabai your dream house.

I won't recommend them at all.

I wish i had used Kensington or Jasmine, I've heard plenty of good things about both these companies.