Thailand Fundamentals

Hi

As I live here I'm looking at whether Thailand is a safe place to invest more of my capital.

We all know how easy credit is here, and the Thai tendency not to consider the repayment part.

I seem to remember some years ago someone on this forum gave a link showing per capita private debt here.

This may help show whether things are getting overextended or not.

Any other fundamentals I should beware of?

thanks

Safer than where ?...

I personally stick with the old Thailand cliche....never invest more in Thailand than I am prepared too loose...

and actually believe you are wrong as regards "easy" credit in Thailand, Thailand has a relatively conservative approach to giving credit out, far more conservative than most western countries hence the reason they were not impacted as much by the financial meltdown of recent times....:rolleyes:

You should never invest more than you can afford to lose in any country, including the one you were born in.

Somebody with a lot of savings in US Dollars who simply changed them into Baht ten years ago instead of leaving them in a US bank would be 50% better off than they are now. Perhaps one day people will wake up and stop listening to clichés.

You should never invest more than you can afford to lose in any country, including the one you were born in.

Somebody with a lot of savings in US Dollars who simply changed them into Baht ten years ago instead of leaving them in a US bank would be 50% better off than they are now. Perhaps one day people will wake up and stop listening to clichés.

The Dollar has halved in value?

No, it's dropped 33% from 45 baht down to 30 to the dollar. Therefore it would have to rise by 50% to recover to 2001 levels.

Of course you would have to find an interest bearing account to put it in or the gain would have been minimal.

In light of the subprime mortgage crisis which emanated from the US, I find this statement quite funny

We all know how easy credit is here, and the Thai tendency not to consider the repayment part.

I think there must also be an American tendency not to consider the repayment part.

Edited by inthepink