Stamp Collecting

Eyjafjallajokull

I collect stamps, but I'm based near Bangkok, not CM.

I collect Thai mini sheets, and some of the single issues, along with the Gold foil Thai Stamps. I also collect "Cinderella" stamps... I have a nearly complete collection of the Discworld stamps and sheets, a fair collection of other UK cinderella stamps, Colin Edwards issues, Steve Tandy's "Welsh Postal Oddities, Hilary's Pharos stamps, (Lighthouses), and I also collect UK Children's entertainment and literature stamps and stamps depicting Pirates. There are a number of good stamp shops in Bangkok: International House of Stamps (Siam) co ltd. tel 06522220 or [email protected]

I learned about the world by collecting stamps as a child. It also gave me my interest in traveling. i might not be living in CM if not for stamps.

There used to be a shop on Huay Kaew Rd, just past the Shell station heading west, that dealt in collectibles and I think stamps were included. i think it's still there. I've never been in so I can't help further.

Before you start, OP, think how you're going to keep them in good condition. The Thai climate is not good, especially for mint stamps. Ideally, you need a room airconditioned 24/7.

I had fairly advanced collections of British Guiana and Tobago, which I maintained while I lived in Chiangmai, but when I moved down to Buriram, I decided the climate was too adverse, and sold the lot.

If you do collect, stick to issues of relatively little monetary value. Having said that... there have always been a few advanced collectors of Thai stamps in Bangkok, but the ones I came in touch with were all wealthy men, and could presumably afford the airconditioned room!

There's a shop down the road that has the main Sunday walking street market, On the left, just after the traffic lights about halfway down, just before the Garden guest house and U hotel.... It's a little strange in there though!

David

I was once considering buying and collecting Thai coins and stamps.

But as far as I know, Thailand coins and stamps, no matter how old or what condition they are in, never gain any true value, unlike in England or the States.

So in fact it would be purely as a hobby and could never be considered as an investment, so I gave up the idea.

If I am wrong I would welcome the opinions of some of you experts out there to enlighten me?

I was once considering buying and collecting Thai coins and stamps.

But as far as I know, Thailand coins and stamps, no matter how old or what condition they are in, never gain any true value, unlike in England or the States.

So in fact it would be purely as a hobby and could never be considered as an investment, so I gave up the idea.

If I am wrong I would welcome the opinions of some of you experts out there to enlighten me?

There are two ways of looking at this. (Stamps only; I know nothing about coins)

If you collect a popular country (e.g. USA or GB), the older stamps tend to appreciate in value... but the good ones also cost a lot to buy.

If you collect an unpopular country (Thailand, or in my case, British Guiana (excluding the early local productions)), you can buy relatively scarce stamps quite cheaply... and are more likely to find rarities which others have missed.

Modern stamps rarely have much value... although of course you can find exceptions.

Thanks for this. Visited yesterday and must agree with your comment "it's strange" in there.

Lots of Thai stamps, but surprised how expensive they are :unsure:

E.

There's a shop down the road that has the main Sunday walking street market, On the left, just after the traffic lights about halfway down, just before the Garden guest house and U hotel.... It's a little strange in there though!

David

Thanks for this. Visited yesterday and must agree with your comment "it's strange" in there.

Lots of Thai stamps, but surprised how expensive they are :unsure:

E.

David

I have a load of stamps including some very old British. Are you interested in these.???