Marriage Certificate Translation For A Thai Spouse Moving To Singapore

I have searched for information covering my situation, but no luck so far.

I am taking a job in Singapore and realised that my Thai marriage certificate (which I need to prove my wife is indeed my wife) is only in Thai. Does anyone have any experience, information and/or suggestions as to getting a certified translation that the Singapore government will accept? Does a translator have to have some special stamp to show they are authorised, or do I have to get it translated and have the British consulate stamp it (doubtless for some ridiculous fee).

As it happens, a partner can come and live in Singapore on a partner visa without being married, so the Sing authorities are not as strict as other countries, like say... Thailand. So I can;t see them being too overly officious on this issue.

Thanks.

To be 100% legal in Singapore the Thai document needs to be officially translated into English, certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then legalized by the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok. I advise checking with the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok before going to all the trouble, they could have a different option.

Edited by InterestedObserver

To be 100% legal in Singapore the Thai document needs to be officially translated into English, certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then legalized by the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok. I advise checking with the Singapore Embassy in Bangkok before going to all the trouble, they could have a different option.

Thanks for that... do you know what "officially" means exactly though? Are there govt certified translators you have to use?

Thanks for that... do you know what "officially" means exactly though? Are there govt certified translators you have to use?

There are any number of official translators located close by the U.S. and U.K. embassies, they translate and put their stamp on the document. Any translation agency recognized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs is ok.

There are any number of official translators located close by the U.S. and U.K. embassies, they translate and put their stamp on the document. Any translation agency recognized by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs is ok.

Ah, I see... Thanks again for your help.

• 1 year later...

Translation 3-500 Baht

Thai Ministry certification 800 Baht for the express service. The express service is only available if you submit your documents before 12 pm. ( be prepared to wait all afternoon for your finished documents )

Singapore embassy ??

From the Ministry of Manpower website:

Important information:

•Applicants who hold non-English documents or certificates are required to submit a copy of the original papers and the official English translation done by a certified translator, High Commission/Embassy or a notary public

Note that Singapore does not issue a dependent pass for de-facto/common law relationships. They will issue a long term visit pass. which will require:

A copy of the Employment Pass holder’s statutory declaration of relationship with the applicant.

- A letter from the Employment Pass holder’s embassy confirming the status of the holder’s common-law marriage to the applicant in their country (if applicable).

Get the translation done by one of the businesses on Wireless road, their stamp should be sufficent. There are also many such servicess in Singapore itself that can do it.

TH

I got my Thai marriage certificate translated into English in Singapore by a local Thai-run language school who are just around the corner behind Orchard Towers (yes, really). Then had that translation certified by the Thai Embassy. That was it, no need to involve any Thai authorities in Bangkok or elsewhere. Singapore MOM accepted it as part of the supporting docs before issuing the missus with her first Dependents Pass. No hassle at all.