Notary Service In Bkk Other Than Embassy?

I need to get some business documents notarized by an American notary. I am living in Bangkok I am wondering if I there are is any notary service other than the US Embassy? I went there last time to get my documents notarized, but I hate going there: its $50 for notary services, it feels like coming back to a US airport with all the security, tension in the air, and above all, they made an error on my documents when they wrote my name, so they used white-out, causing my documents to be rejected when I sent them back to the US for approval - so I need to go back again.

As I was not happy with the notary services I got at the embassy, I was just wondering if anyone else has used American notary services outside the embassy in Bangkok?

As far as I know the US Embassy, American Citizen Services section located in the Consulate, has the only US recognized notary in Bangkok.

Well it's the only notary that would be recognized by whoever back in the USA the documents are being notarized for (assume it's for someone/business based in USA). I mean, you get it notarized by a vice-consul and get it grommet stamped with a little ribbon and all so it looks all official. Sold a condo of my in the USA all from Bangkok...and when it was time to sign off on the new title deed and sale documents, just had to do it at the embassy and FedEx to the title company in USA.

Thai law doesn't recognise the concept of a "notary public" as we understand it in Common Law jurisdictions. The Law Society of Thailand has tried to promote the concept and has certified some members as "Notarial Services Attorneys" (attend a training course, get a certificate) but this designation has no standing in Thai law. If you require signatures or documents "notarized" for use in an overseas common law jurisdiction, then in all likelihood your only alternative is that jurisdiction's embassy or consulate in Thailand, unless you can find someone locally who is registered as a notary public under that jurisdiction's laws. In the U.S. notaries are appointed by the individual states and, with some exceptions, have jurisdiction only within the state that appointed them. Some of the larger international law firms may have foreign notaries amongst their staff.

Beware local law firms that promote notarial services: documents notarized by them have no legal standing outside of Thailand and only limited value inside the country.

If you require signatures or documents "notarized" for use in an overseas common law jurisdiction, then in all likelihood your only alternative is that jurisdiction's embassy or consulate in Thailand, unless you can find someone locally who is registered as a notary public under that jurisdiction's laws. In the U.S. notaries are appointed by the individual states and, with some exceptions, have jurisdiction only within the state that appointed them. Some of the larger international law firms may have foreign notaries amongst their staff.

It appears the op needs to have some documents notarized for a jurisdiction in the United States (requests an "American" notary). As you correctly state, in the USA proper, there is no such thing as an "American" notary, as they are licensed by the States. So unless the op can find an American notary in Bangkok who is licensed in the jurisdiction (i.e., state) where the documents are to be presented, and who is actually working as a notary and has his/her stamps and book with them, he is basically left with the American's embassy's notary service.

My experience with them has been that the vice-consul will act as the notary, and as they are Federal legal officers, the notary is in effect a "federal" one and valid for all practical purposes in all 50 states and the sundry commonwealths and territories of the United States.

Edited by FarangBuddha

... "American" notary, as they are licensed by the States. So unless the op can find an American notary in Bangkok who is licensed in the jurisdiction (i.e., state) where the documents are to be presented, and who is actually working as a notary and has his/her stamps and book with them, ...

"A notary public has the right to notarize documents only while physically present in the state of license".

The document, if challenged, could be found to be improperly executed.