Flood Predictions

DavidOxon

Flooding requires sustained rainfall at a time when the reservoirs are already near full, meaning that a lot of water has to be released in a short time.

A lot of rainfall early on doesn't cause flooding as the water levels can be managed; there is time to get rid of excess water.

I suggest someone edits the alarmist and unnecessary topic title.

Flooding requires sustained rainfall at a time when the reservoirs are already near full, meaning that a lot of water has to be released in a short time.

A lot of rainfall early on doesn't cause flooding as the water levels can be managed; there is time to get rid of excess water.

Indeed, it caught my eye enough to read the post and find out it was unnecessarily alarming and inflammatory OP next time suggest you try something far less tabloidish to get the readers attention.

Topic title edited

Indeed, it caught my eye enough to read the post and find out it was unnecessarily alarming and inflammatory OP next time suggest you try something far less tabloidish to get the readers attention.

Topic title edited

I'm guessing someone flunked Charm School!

Would you like to call the Chiang Mai mail and correct their heading too?

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd11

Topic title edited

I'm guessing someone flunked Charm School!

Would you like to call the Chiang Mai mail and correct their heading too?

http://www.chiangmai...news.shtml#hd11

she won't like that dry.gif they are terribly 'sensitive' you know - 5,4,3...

Flood stage of the Ping river here in Chiang Mai is determined by rain fall and the little hands on the gates up river. August/September are the months that are normally of concern for floods. I do not remember heavy rains like we have been having this early, so when the upstream lakes are deemed full enough and some little fellow decides he wants to water the fisht downstream, watch out.

david oxon

re ... The river's looked very high the few times I driven by this week

uhhhh ... what ?

no offence but

pic 1.. taken 3 days ago

pic 2 .. taken 20 sept 05

so i dont think we or gonzo need to worry yet ..

regards ... dave2

post-42592-0-52543000-1305607263_thumb.j

post-42592-0-23303800-1305607293_thumb.j

Flood stage of the Ping river here in Chiang Mai is determined by rain fall and the little hands on the gates up river. August/September are the months that are normally of concern for floods. I do not remember heavy rains like we have been having this early, so when the upstream lakes are deemed full enough and some little fellow decides he wants to water the fisht downstream, watch out.

Right, but as there is more room in the overall system in May, they can release water only to the level where it can properly make its way down. Or choose not to release too much yet, or go very slow.

Right, but as there is more room in the overall system in May, they can release water only to the level where it can properly make its way down. Or choose not to release too much yet, or go very slow.

Sawasdee Khrup Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

Hope we'll shortly hear from Khun Priceless and Khun MapGuy on this thread !

It would be very interesting to know to what extent "national" level planning for flooding conditions comes into play on decisions to release how much water, and when to release it, from the reservoirs that directly affect the Ping River valley.

Ayudhya, and other places south of here, have already had flooding this year, and what is "our water" now does become "their water" in a month or two.

We will never forget several years ago when, just outside our house, the water in the little soi was over thirty-inches high, and the current was so strong you could barely walk against it: never forget watching how it came in the kitchen and slowly crept-up, fortunately stalling before it hit the power outlet level. But, many of our neighbors, whose houses were not, like ours, "built-up," had their ground-level floors full of nasty water that left behind it a nasty mud. The lawn inside our walls never recovered, and now we are going to wait again, another year, until flood-season is past to restore it.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Wont be much nearly as much room in the reservoirs this year. August will be interesting.

Reservoirs don't usually flood around here :)

You can't have been living here very long!

Sawasdee Khrup Khun WinnieTheKhwai,

Hope we'll shortly hear from Khun Priceless and Khun MapGuy on this thread !

It would be very interesting to know to what extent "national" level planning for flooding conditions comes into play on decisions to release how much water, and when to release it, from the reservoirs that directly affect the Ping River valley.

Ayudhya, and other places south of here, have already had flooding this year, and what is "our water" now does become "their water" in a month or two.

We will never forget several years ago when, just outside our house, the water in the little soi was over thirty-inches high, and the current was so strong you could barely walk against it: never forget watching how it came in the kitchen and slowly crept-up, fortunately stalling before it hit the power outlet level. But, many of our neighbors, whose houses were not, like ours, "built-up," had their ground-level floors full of nasty water that left behind it a nasty mud. The lawn inside our walls never recovered, and now we are going to wait again, another year, until flood-season is past to restore it.

best, ~o:37;

As you say Orang: Priceless will have all the facts at his fingertips I'm sure! As for Mapguy, it would certainly be a rarity if he had anything useful to add!

david oxon

re ... The river's looked very high the few times I driven by this week

uhhhh ... what ?

no offence but

pic 1.. taken 3 days ago

pic 2 .. taken 20 sept 05

so i dont think we or gonzo need to worry yet ..

regards ... dave2

These were taken on September 2005 down Charoen Mueng. This was just the begining of the flooding.

post-21996-0-87758700-1305630272_thumb.j

post-21996-0-15706100-1305630350_thumb.j

gonzo .

re ... haven't even ordered the timber for the ark yet

your too late ..... its already here : )

diablo bob.

nice pics

pic 1 .. taken sept 05

pic 2 .. taken sept 10 .... what a difference

enjoy ... dave2

post-42592-0-56372300-1305636072_thumb.j

post-42592-0-71100100-1305636107_thumb.j

post-42592-0-17165500-1305636145_thumb.j

One thing that would be perhaps good to note is that also at this time of year you can of course get flash floods right after heavy rain; that's just the drains not coping with a sudden downpoor. Sustained and more serious flooding would be caused by the river, which may happen near the end of the rainy season, say around September.

Just wanted to get that in there before someone posts a picture of some rainwater filled sois.

One thing that would be perhaps good to note is that also at this time of year you can of course get flash floods right after heavy rain; that's just the drains not coping with a sudden downpoor. Sustained and more serious flooding would be caused by the river, which may happen near the end of the rainy season, say around September.

Just wanted to get that in there before someone posts a picture of some rainwater filled sois.

oops! WAY too late :)

• 1 month later...

I would guess something else...

I think they are digging out all the water lily type of growth that has taken over parts of the river. This growth could/would slow water flow and collect river flotsam when the high water time comes....just my guess though

G

The terrible floods we experienced here in 2004, were freak conditions.

I believe the last big floods in Chiang Mai were 40 years previous to 2004.

So I wouldn`t worry too much and no need to start building your Arks just yet.