Don'T Speak 'Thaiglish'

rocketmanbkk

Never really think about it. I do what I do. If a Thai person doesn't understand I will try my best to simplify it.

Don't wai, don't say Khun..... and now, don't speak Thaiglish.

Why are some people that arsed about it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming from a Thai persons point of view, you sound like a knob!

would you rather speak in English or be thought of as an idiot an dreceive a 'Thai smile'?

I couldn't give a monkeys, it's tjose that use this ridiculous language and tome that are being laughed at, maybe unknowingly, behind their backs.

Never really think about it. I do what I do. If a Thai person doesn't understand I will try my best to simplify it.

I always thought that Thinglish or Thaiglish was simply using the Thai language grammar structure and replacing it with English words. That gives Thais with limited English language ability a better chance to understand (or at least get a few key words). On the other hand, if we insisted on always using proper English syntax and tenses, we would be adding a lot of extra sounds and words, like auxiliary verbs, that would make it much more difficult for Thais to understand.

Edited by Wavefloater

would you rather speak in English or be thought of as an idiot an dreceive a 'Thai smile'?

I couldn't give a monkeys, it's tjose that use this ridiculous language and tome that are being laughed at, maybe unknowingly, behind their backs.

Yes, the vast majority of Thais speak English v well :rolleyes:. Get over yourself.

Thais speak 'pidgen' Thai to foreigners, until they find the odd foreigner that speaks Thai - and foreigners speak 'pidgen' English to Thais, until etc. etc..

Oh !! So we are all so hi Thai now, ' longstebe ' makes a reasonable comment, if anybodies a ' knob ' for sure it's you.

Edited by Kwasaki

Mr knob to you.

As for the don't wai or don''t say Khun thing, I was referring to threads that had been on TV before.

You wouldn't know this because your a little newbie.

How you speak to the Thai people has to depend on where you are in Thailand. We have not all frequented areas where English is well known and understood.

Your example of ' where you go? Rather than saying where are you going?'

That is too complex a structure for many Thai people out in the sticks who have a very basic understanding of English.

This idea of everyone speaking perfect English to a Thai out in the sticks is, frankly, pathetic. It is the same as expecting us all to speak perfect thai with little or no previous teaching / learning in the language.

So a mixture works and if it works use it until such times as we can get the people we are talking to to understand better syntax.

Rome was not built in a day.

I speak Thai to Thai people. I know very basic Thai, but I do try. If I can't, then I speak English but simply. I don't speak English like I do to English people, because then I'd come across as one of those <deleted> who thinks people from other Countries should speak the Queens and to Hell with them if they don't. You see, that's how all you people who speak English as you do at home come across over here - obnoxious and impatient with other nationalities. This is why we speak Thaiglish, out of an attempt at communicating on some level with someone who may or may not understand us. It's not about how we sound or taking the piss out of others, it's because we are trying to be considerate with people we don't understand and who don't understand us. If the person responds with good English, then we'd obviously apologise, laugh about it and speak English to them. It works both ways. Thai people here always attempt to speak basic English to accomodate the large percentage of us who are either learning Thai or just can't be bothered.

Concerning Thai people laughing behind our backs, so what? Are you really so worried what other people think of you? People who spend their time laughing at you for being nice and attempting communication politely really don't make a difference to your life. I find here that Thai people can be amazingly nice, but there are those who really don't want to be your friend and happily show it. I don't really care about those people - just let them carry on with their narrow-minded lives and get on with yours. I'm sure not going to stop being nice and polite because a few uneducated individuals can't tolerate it. And by uneducated, before anyone jumps on it, I'm not talking about 'an education' - I'm talking about a learned ability through life experience to not be rude.

Furthermore - does anyone else find it ironic that nearly 50% of the replies to this thread are written in very bad English? Maybe this says more about the typing skills of the posters, but still... :ph34r:

Lastly - no, that's it.

The post was not to express whether speaking Thaiglish is right or wrong but to allow people to know that Thai (some) people, who do actually have a decent grasp of English think that when a farang starts to speak to them in Thaiglish they make themselves sound stupid.

Why do it? If you actually listen to how others speak to Thai people, you may agree that they do sound quite ridiculous. I know I do.

Plus, as my wife states, as well as her mates who discussed it, many Thai people are quietly laughing behind your back without you knowing what they think of you. They also speak about you in Thai! You lose respect by speaking in this way of which, I have to agree with my wife (for once).

As mentioned, they think you sound like complete plonkers!

Don't do it!!!

How you speak to the Thai people has to depend on where you are in Thailand. We have not all frequented areas where English is well known and understood.

That is too complex a structure for many Thai people out in the sticks who have a very basic understanding of English.

This idea of everyone speaking perfect English to a Thai out in the sticks is, frankly, pathetic. It is the same as expecting us all to speak perfect thai with little or no previous teaching / learning in the language.

So a mixture works and if it works use it until such times as we can get the people we are talking to to understand better syntax.

I speak Thai to Thai people. I know very basic Thai, but I do try. If I can't, then I speak English but simply. I don't speak English like I do to English people, because then I'd come across as one of those <deleted> who thinks people from other Countries should speak the Queens and to Hell with them if they don't. You see, that's how all you people who speak English as you do at home come across over here - obnoxious and impatient with other nationalities. This is why we speak Thaiglish, out of an attempt at communicating on some level with someone who may or may not understand us. It's not about how we sound or taking the piss out of others, it's because we are trying to be considerate with people we don't understand and who don't understand us. If the person responds with good English, then we'd obviously apologise, laugh about it and speak English to them. It works both ways. Thai people here always attempt to speak basic English to accomodate the large percentage of us who are either learning Thai or just can't be bothered.

Concerning Thai people laughing behind our backs, so what? Are you really so worried what other people think of you? People who spend their time laughing at you for being nice and attempting communication politely really don't make a difference to your life. I find here that Thai people can be amazingly nice, but there are those who really don't want to be your friend and happily show it. I don't really care about those people - just let them carry on with their narrow-minded lives and get on with yours. I'm sure not going to stop being nice and polite because a few uneducated individuals can't tolerate it. And by uneducated, before anyone jumps on it, I'm not talking about 'an education' - I'm talking about a learned ability through life experience to not be rude.

Furthermore - does anyone else find it ironic that nearly 50% of the replies to this thread are written in very bad English? Maybe this says more about the typing skills of the posters, but still... :ph34r:

Lastly - no, that's it.

+1 good post, until " (u % go t two @ ya bite a boa t tipping ski l' ls. :lol: :lol:

The post was not to express whether speaking Thaiglish is right or wrong but to allow people to know that Thai (some) people, who do actually have a decent grasp of English think that when a farang starts to speak to them in Thaiglish they make themselves sound stupid.

Why do it? If you actually listen to how others speak to Thai people, you may agree that they do sound quite ridiculous. I know I do.

Plus, as my wife states, as well as her mates who discussed it, many Thai people are quietly laughing behind your back without you knowing what they think of you. They also speak about you in Thai! You lose respect by speaking in this way of which, I have to agree with my wife (for once).

Don't do it!!!

Yes, the vast majority of Thai's speak perfect English so your wife obviously has a good reason for laughing at foreigners who 'dumb it down'.

Just an idea, but perhaps instead of laughing she should speak to them in perfect English - in which case I've no doubt they would respond in normal English.

But no, your wife is so superior that she needs to laugh at those ignorant farangs that are trying to make themselves understood.

How lucky are you to have such a 'perfect' wife?

Don't do it!!!

Did you do it and they were all laughing at you and you couldn't handle it because you are usually the one telling all and sundry what they should and shouldn't be doing and saying because they sound like plonkers ? :rolleyes:

She laughs at them cos' they are knobs, probably like you as you are trying to justify why people so ignorant.

I also sense thart you are one of these knobs that speak to Thai's in this way.

Just to end this, my wife does not have perfect English an dis not superior to anyone and is certainly not perfect.

What I would say though, is that if a person wanted to speak Thai to her should would not resort to speaking in a stupid way as then she would sound a complete plonker to those that could understand her. It works both ways.

F1fanatice, please stop speaking to thai people like a knob. You are being laughed at and making yourself look like a right knob!

Don't do it!!!

Yes, the vast majority of Thai's speak perfect English so your wife obviously has a good reason for laughing at foreigners who 'dumb it down'.

Just an idea, but perhaps instead of laughing she should speak to them in perfect English - in which case I've no doubt they would respond in normal English.

But no, your wife is so superior that she needs to laugh at those ignorant farangs that are trying to make themselves understood.

Don't do it!!!

Really? Where are you?

Here in surburban bangkok its rare to find a english speaking thai.

Are you in a tourist centre like phuket or pattaya by any chance?

I teach my girlfriend my native Norfolk dialect,its so much easier.

A few examples below

• ar ya reet boi? (are you okay good fellow)
  • at that time of day (in those days, e.g.beer only cost tuppence a pint at that time of day)
  • bred and born (used instead of "born and bred")
  • co ter heck (an exclamation of amazement)
  • come on ter rain (starts to rain, as in 'if that come on ter rain we shall get wet')
  • cor blarst me (when expressing, shock, surprise or exasperation)
  • dew yar fa' ki' a dickir, bor? (Does your old man keep a donkey, mate?)(See Dickir/Dickie in vocabulary, below)
  • dew yew keep a troshin (means "carry on with the threshing" on its own but also means goodbye or "take care of yourself")
  • directly ('as soon as'or 'immediately'), as in 'Directly they got their money on Friday nights, the women would get the suits out of the pawn shop'[14])
  • fare y'well (goodbye)
  • finish, at the/in the (eventually, as in 'he gave it to her at the finish';[15] or 'You might as well have went in the beginning, 'cause you had to go in the finish'.[16])
  • get on to someone (to tell someone off, as in 'They all went quiet, but they never got onto father no more'[17])
  • get wrong (told off)
  • good on'yer (good for you)
  • he'll square yew up (he will chastise you)
  • The Fenians are coming (Phrase, typically referring to a commotion nearby. An old phrase originally referring to irish travellers, who normally caused a commotion in towns they passed through)
  • he dint ortera dun it. (he ought not to have done it).
  • high learned (well-educated, clever)
  • hoddy-doddy (very small)
  • hold yew hard ('hang on', or 'wait a moment', from the practice of holding a horse's rein hard to stop it moving forward))
  • how much did you give for it? (How much did you pay for it?)
  • I/we/you will hetter keep a dewun (no alternative but to keep going)
  • ill a bed an wus up (very sick)
  • lend us a lug (when asking someone else to listen in to a conversation for you)
  • lolloping along (strolling along)
  • mobbed a rum'un (made a lot of fuss)
  • my heart alive! (expression of surprise, similar to 'good gracious me!', sometimes shortened to 'my heart' as in 'my heart thas dear' meaning 'good heavens, that's expensive'. When Norfolk people use the term 'good gracious', they will sometimes say 'good gracious on to me'.)
  • Old Year's Nyte (New Year's Eve)
  • on the huh, ?on the moo (awry, slanted, not level)
  • putting on his/her parts (having a tantrum, or acting up - usually of a child)
  • put you in the mind of (to remind you of, as in 'she put me in the mind of Irene', meaning 'she reminds me of Irene')
  • suffun savidge (very angry)
  • that crazes me! (that really annoys me)
  • that'll larn yer (that'll teach you)
  • tergether One particular expression is the greeting of a couple with the phrase Mornin'/Evenin' together a form that is also used in German speaking countries. (This is extensively used in Norfolk; see under grammar, above)
  • titty-totty (very small)
  • two penneth, six penneth etc (two penny worth)
  • wus up?' (what's wrong?)
  • yellow belly (person from the Fens; a Fenman)

Have you taught her the words to "On the Ball City"

Don't do it!!!

ROME WAS BUILT IN A DAY!

Romulus marked out the walls with a stick, Remus jumped over them, Romulus felled him fatally, and that was Rome. All the buildings and Empire and stuff were just later additions.

Anyway, I reckon its not right to call complete strangers 'plonkers' just on the basis of their silly affected voices. It just engenders more name-calling.

I know 'makes you sounds like,...' doesn't mean 'you are...', but a lot of people would infer that implication, and take offence at that.

Although to be fair, I am always a little pleased when people take offence when I deliver such insults - it suggests that they truely value my opinion! Of course, being argumentative and belligerent is unlikely to improve my opinion of someone that I had doubts about in the first place.

I think a more constructive and helpful approach would be to explain, as some have done, how it hinders the natives' development, makes one sound like a dimwit etc.

I went back to re-read the Original Post; has the Original Poster considered that maybe your wife is just saying that to build up your relative self-esteem?

'Plonker' is an unusual turn of phrase for a Thai lady. Have you been subjecting her to too much Fools and Horses?

SC

She laughs at them cos' they are knobs, probably like you as you are trying to justify why people so ignorant.

I also sense thart you are one of these knobs that speak to Thai's in this way.

Just to end this, my wife does not have perfect English an dis not superior to anyone and is certainly not perfect.

What I would say though, is that if a person wanted to speak Thai to her should would not resort to speaking in a stupid way as then she would sound a complete plonker to those that could understand her. It works both ways.

F1fanatice, please stop speaking to thai people like a knob. You are being laughed at and making yourself look like a right knob!

Don't do it!!!

I'm sure you're right - most Thais have a perfect grasp of the English language and think I'm a "knob" if I use Thenglish. :rolleyes:

Or then again, it could just be you and your wonderful wife that think other Westerners are "knobs".

Unless you're of a similar age to your wife (and worth a lot of money), I suspect your wife will be v tolerant of other, wealthier farang - when not in your company.

English speakers modulate their English to suit the recipient. As soon as it becomes obvious that the Thai speaks English well, we start speaking properly.

Most Thais (understandably) only understand a few words (and English grammar is far harder than Thai), so we speak Thenglish to be (hopefully) understood.

The funny thing is though that whilst we are 'shocked' into speaking normally when meeting an educated Thai, with our (Western) partners we sometimes forget, and speak Thenglish to them!

Well said.

I lived in the sticks for quite a long time and rarely met another English speaking person. The Thai people I spoke to had a very basic grasp of English and my Thai at that time was half a dozen words at best. Add to that my northern accent, my words must have sounded akin to someone from outer space.

Therefore you communicate however is best at the time even if it is Tinglish or sign language or even drawings to be able to understand each other.

On returning back to 'civilization' I had to readjust myself back to speaking normal English to people. I was lambasted by some people similar to the OP for not speaking good English when I met these people. But when you are with Thai people every day for years and using Tinglish while both sides learn to communicate better, you do tend to forget how to have some normal banter with English friends.

Maybe the OP and some others ought to get off their high horses and realise communication between aliens has to start somewhere.

The wife has read some of the posts and agrees with some point but she still cannot understand why. mostly men, talk to Thai's with a tupid accent and in Thaiglish.

Her thoughts remain that people who do this sound, in my word not hers, like complete an dutter plonkers!

Come on chaps, just speak normally. I bet if someone recorded how you sounded an dwhat you said when speaking Thaiglish you's agree you do sound like plonkers!

Furthermore, I hope teh wife doesn't think she can join this forum, too much cooking, cleaning an dwashing to be done on a daily basis!:whistling:

Cheers

Then get your wife to read the post above this one. (#29) I think F1Fanatic just about summed it up perfectly.

jb1

You need to get out more into the real Thailand where they do not speak English and see how you would mangae to communicate with the people using a vocabulary consisting of half a dozen Thai words. That might settle your pompous attitude a bit.

Your snooty wife should get herself out into Geordie Land, deepest Yorkshire and other places with really strong accents and see how she would fare in communicating with them.

People have to learn a new language and communicate on whatever base level to begin with. If that means speaking Tinglish or whatever language that is fine by me. But I do not have an attitude problem like you seem to have.

No one has laughed behind my back because I tried to use Thai. In fact those people out in the sticks were more than happy to hear me trying to communicate with them in Thai. And I have never laughed behind a Thai persons back when they have tried to speak English and they got it wrong.

Maybe that is also because I am not as shallow as you and your thai friends.

Don't do it!!!

My wifes friend is married to an ex english teacher, he taught in the UK and Thailand. He has been with his wife for about 5 years. You would think he wouldn't speak Thenglish to her, specially since he would want her to speak proper English and not sound stupid. But he does and also teaches her to talk dirty. Once i got to know her, she is a very nice and trustworthy girl. But the way he has let her speak and the things he has taught her have made her come across as the oppisite.

Plus how do you think children learn. If you was to keep saying things like," where you go". Do you think they will learn to speak properly.

My rule is, talk to everyone the same, untill they say they don't understand. Then i will change the way i speak to them. But i help as much as i can.

My wifes friend is married to an ex english teacher, he taught in the UK and Thailand. He has been with his wife for about 5 years. You would think he wouldn't speak Thenglish to her, specially since he would want her to speak proper English and not sound stupid. But he does and also teaches her to talk dirty. Once i got to know her, she is a very nice and trustworthy girl. But the way he has let her speak and the things he has taught her have made her come across as the oppisite.

Plus how do you think children learn. If you was to keep saying things like," where you go". Do you think they will learn to speak properly.

My rule is, talk to everyone the same, untill they say they don't understand. Then i will change the way i speak to them. But i help as much as i can.

"and also teaches her to talk dirty" - Your wife's friend's husband (I think I got that right!) is just the typical, stupid farang that was unable to find a g/f in his home country, moved here and amazingly found a woman that thought him incredibly attractive..... Which is why we have such an awful reputation here.

The last person on earth you need to look to for advice is him or his wife.

Rocketmanbkk

If what we say gives you a laugh, so be it. The majority of us won't give a 'monkeys' what you or your wife may think. As for people speaking Thai behind our backs, water off a ducks back mate.

Like one of the posts says, you need to leave your little bubble and explore your own country.

Happy days, I love it here and I love broken English.

Thats a thought, what about our fellow european friends who don't speak perfect English?

Had a great laugh with a Sweedish guy the other night in broken English.

Hum, well my take on it is I need to communicate. If I can't do this in perfect English, fall back into a mono-sylabic English, which can be understood. Asian languages on the whole don't have all those little words that we use in English to make things polite or put emphasis, etc, and thus it confuses the hell out of them when you use these words. Keep to the main verb and nouns and you are understood.

To be honest is it any different to the English spoken in Malaysia, Singapore or even India? People in these countries speak an English variation, as do people in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and can I say America? What is proper English? Main purpose of language is to communicate.

Hum, well my take on it is I need to communicate. If I can't do this in perfect English, fall back into a mono-sylabic English, which can be understood. Asian languages on the whole don't have all those little words that we use in English to make things polite or put emphasis, etc, and thus it confuses the hell out of them when you use these words. Keep to the main verb and nouns and you are understood.

To be honest is it any different to the English spoken in Malaysia, Singapore or even India? People in these countries speak an English variation, as do people in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and can I say America? What is proper English? Main purpose of language is to communicate.

But not to the OP. He and his wife laugh at those who try to communicate in broken English. They obviously don't have a chip on their shoulder at all.

I think what is meant by ‘don’t speak Tinglish you sound like a plonker’ is…

If you have a strong accent, you may not be understood, its ok to modify your accent and space out syllables and vowels so that a Thai may ‘under-sa-tand’ you more readily…

However, those mixing up their words in the manner of clipping phrases to such a degree it sounds daft to a native speaker does not really help a weak speaker, but it does make us sound like a ‘plonker’ !

Example:

Tomorrow I am going to Bangkok for one week with my friend Fred.

Me, and friend me, he name Fred, tomorrow go Bangkok one week… (Plonker !)

But first, find out your target audience - If you speak Tinglish to a Thai who speaks good English - you will come across as a 'Plonker' !

If you speak to someone who's English is very poor, modifying your sentence will aid the best response.

I think what is meant by 'don't speak Tinglish you sound like a plonker' is…

If you have a strong accent, you may not be understood, its ok to modify your accent and space out syllables and vowels so that a Thai may 'under-sa-tand' you more readily…

However, those mixing up their words in the manner of clipping phrases to such a degree it sounds daft to a native speaker does not really help a weak speaker, but it does make us sound like a 'plonker' !

Example:

Tomorrow I am going to Bangkok for one week with my friend Fred.

Me, and friend me, he name Fred, tomorrow go Bangkok one week… (Plonker !)

But first, find out your target audience - If you speak Tinglish to a Thai who speaks good English - you will come across as a 'Plonker' !

If you speak to someone who's English is very poor, modifying your sentence will aid the best response.

That's not what he meant at all. Read his posts about how he and his wife laugh at anyone who tries to communicate in anything other than the best English.