Settlement Visa For My Child Too?

Hello all,

I need some help in applying for a settlement visa to the Uk for my Thai wife and our daughter.I have known my wife since 2004 and we got married last year in January. We had a daughter this year in February and i want to bring them over to the uk to settle. When i apply,will i have to pay for 2 visas or is it like a joint visa with my wife and daughter? I have a lot to plan and have to save but think it is the best for our future being in th Uk. Also is it ok to apply for the settlement visa first as she hasnt been to th Uk yet and maybe not having any history might hinder our application? I am planning on going back to Bangkok in November and getting everything sorted ie the tb test for her,gathering up all our correspondence,translating our marriage certificate,is that needed?bank statements etc but i want to be 100% sure that i have all the correct info,if thats possible as i dont want to get refused, asi wrote before,would it be wise to apply for a tourist visa first and later a settlement visa?Ok any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

I take it you have a thai birth certificate for your daughter? and have you registered the thai birth certificate and the birth of your child at your home country embassy? if so, do you have a passport, issued by your home country, for your child? you must do this, and then no visa will be required for your daughter.

I take it you have a thai birth certificate for your daughter? and have you registered the thai birth certificate and the birth of your child at your home country embassy? if so, do you have a passport, issued by your home country, for your child? you must do this, and then no visa will be required for your daughter.

and for your wife, a settlement visa is needed. you will need to show you can support your wife in your home country, and have suitable accomodation, and that the relationship is genuine.

where is your home country?

edit: ok i see you are from the UK.

Edited by kunash

I would suggest you apply for the settlement, you need evidence of your income, accommodation also evidence that it's a genuine relationship. I'm sure you make a joint application it's cheaper as well However is the child yours if so register her at the uk consulate and she won't require a visa cheaper again, however if the kid is not your then things become more complex , ie permission from the child's father and all that jazz but you will get sound advice on this forum. What I will add is make sure you prepare your application and go over it with a fine tooth comb because ukba will, good luck

Thanks for the reply kunash.Yes i have a thai birth certificate for our daughter and i am the father but havent registered it yet at the embassy,would i have to have it translated to English? also still to get passport and will get that sorted asap,for the photo i have to have them countersigned, which isnt easy as i am in the uk at the moment so can i use an old photo of her and have it done here then send it over to my wife to put with the application?Thanks again

I would suggest you apply for the settlement, you need evidence of your income, accommodation also evidence that it's a genuine relationship. I'm sure you make a joint application it's cheaper as well However is the child yours if so register her at the uk consulate and she won't require a visa cheaper again, however if the kid is not your then things become more complex , ie permission from the child's father and all that jazz but you will get sound advice on this forum. What I will add is make sure you prepare your application and go over it with a fine tooth comb because ukba will, good luck

Hi Bellboy,thanks for replying. Yes i am now working full time, living with parents but we have plenty of room and i have photos and letters since 2005 to substantiate our relationship.The only thing is i use skype and when i do call her from my mobile(very rarely) i am on pay as u go so no phone records,do you think that will look bad on our application? The child is mine so no worries about the other stuff and good advice on going over it with a fine tooth comb,i really want the visa to be granted and i think i have a good chance,lots to do but have till November so cant wait to get over there and get it sorted.Thanks

Thanks for the reply kunash.Yes i have a thai birth certificate for our daughter and i am the father but havent registered it yet at the embassy,would i have to have it translated to English? also still to get passport and will get that sorted asap,for the photo i have to have them countersigned, which isnt easy as i am in the uk at the moment so can i use an old photo of her and have it done here then send it over to my wife to put with the application?Thanks again

The Birth Certificate will need to be translated into English. A Certified translator could do that for about 500 Baht.

You'll need to register your Childs birth in Thailand at the British Embassy then apply for a Passport. No Visa needed as your blood child is entitled to a British Passport.

My wife has just been granted a settlement visa and she has never had a Visa for the UK before. In fact we were turned down for a Visitor Visa last year, but this had no bearing on the decision for the Settlement Visa.

In the Visa section here there is a post from a member with an Index. I used that and changed the categories to suit us. We submitted about 500 pages of facebook comments etc, MSN Convo's and over 1000 photo's we left nothing to chance. Our paperwork took up 2 small suitcases. Even if you think the info is small submit it anyway.

The main things they look for are the following

1 - A Stable relationship

2 - You have either enough investments or an income/savings to take care of your wife and child for the first 27 months she is in the UK

3 - You have suitable accomodation with permission for them to live with you if it's rented.

The Visa will be stamped no recourse to Public Funds. This does not include NHS treatment to which she will be entitled but things like Dole or housing benefit for which she wont until she gets ILR.

Also if you can get testimonials from friends, family etc get them in as well everything helps.

Incidentally if you are of irish origin i.e. Grandparent/parent you can apply for an Irish Passport as a Foreign Birth National. and once you have been married 3 years your wife is entitled to an Irish Passport too, then no Visa for the UK is needed.

Once my wifes Visa runs out we will have been married over 3 years so before that I will get her an Irish Passport due to my grandfather being Irish.

Good luck :-)

Firstly, yes a mother and child, neither of whom are British, would have to make two separate visa applications and so pay two fees.

However, as said above, as the child is your daughter (and if you are named on her Thai birth certificate as her father) then she is British and so does not need a visa.

You can register her birth at the British embassy, but it's not compulsory and not doing so wont affect her British nationality; see How to register a birth if you want to do this.

As she is British she is entitled to a British passport, see How to apply from Thailand (First time applications). Don't worry that the link takes you to Hong Kong, they handle all passport applications in the region.

Your wife will need a visa. I suggest that you read the following links first, and then come back if you have any further questions.

Settlement - visa application guide

SET03 - Spouses

Maintenance and accommodation

For where and how to apply, including fees, details of the required TB certificate and where to obtain it as well as the English speaking and listening test requirement, see Official UK visa application website in Thailand.

BTW, I've edited the topic title to include 'UK' to avoid confusion.