Need 30 Rooms From From 5 December 2011 To February 19Th

MrNils

I represent a TV-crew that is coming to Phuket on Dec 5th to make a TV-series. They will stay until February 19th. The crew needs approx. 30 rooms in the Patong area. They don't need anything fancy, but the rooms should have bathroom, aircon etc. There will be just one person staying in each room. A small restaurant or some breakfast arrangement should also be available.

I've been sending emails to various small hotels to check availability, but most of them don't even bother to reply. Maybe there are some people on this forum that can help me out on this one? It doesn't have to be a hotel - they're open to any suggestions. Remember that this is a TV crew, and there is the possibility that they can provide you with good PR if they are happy with their stay.

Please PM me.

... there is the possibility that they can provide you with good PR if they are happy with their stay.

Or bad PR if they are not :)

Seriously, that's a bad time of year to be looking for rooms in Patong, peak season and all that. What's your budget per room? I can ask hotel friends.

Simon

... there is the possibility that they can provide you with good PR if they are happy with their stay.

Or bad PR if they are not :)

Seriously, that's a bad time of year to be looking for rooms in Patong, peak season and all that. What's your budget per room? I can ask hotel friends.

Simon

I know it's a bad time of year, and I don't know why they haven't tried to book something at a more early stage. They haven't been very clear on their budget, but my guess would be plus/minus 2000 baht / night. Appreciate your interest.

I don't think you will be able to all stay at the same hotel, due to return guests booking 12 months ahead, year on year. I would think your crew will have to be spread out over a few different hotels.

Maybe so, maybe so. Or maybe I should just tell them to bring some tents... It would also be a lot cheaper... :)

I don't think you will be able to all stay at the same hotel, due to return guests booking 12 months ahead, year on year. I would think your crew will have to be spread out over a few different hotels.

And that from the same guy who is claiming all the tome there are no returning guests because phuket, especially patong, is overpriced and poor value for money.

Filming in Patong? Or elsewhere?

Better chance of staying all together in a hotel outside of Patong, maybe towards the south of the island. By all means, the crew will love to have a few nights out in Patong, but living and staying there for 2 1/2 months might not be ideal!

As I say, unless you're also working in Patong, you should consider the transport / logistics for daily trips out to your set. Getting into and out of Patong is a nightmare.

One suggestion might be the Royal Crown Hotel and Palm Resort. She's a large ageing lady off Soi Nanai, which has seen better years. All the same, the rooms are clean, comfortable, proper 'deluxe' (larger) style rooms and under B2000 in high season. You should have no trouble booking 30 rooms, as long as you get in reasonably early. It would certainly not be my first choice, but it has what you need at the right price and should be able to accommodate the entire group. You can book directly from the hotel's website (Google above) and may also be able to find some cheaper deals for the same hotel through agents (again, let Google do your walking). I have not stayed there for quite a few years, but unless things have changed, the (included) breakfast is not up to much.

You may also want to check out the Lamai group.

Edit: Sorry, RCH has changed its policy on breakfasts - now B300/person. Might have improved, but your people may be better off to eat elsewhere for half the price.

They also have a free hourly shuttle bus to the beach and Jung Ceylon.

Edited by Ping

I've been sending emails to various small hotels to check availability, but most of them don't even bother to reply.

I’m sorry but I’m not really surprised that you don’t get many reply’s from the hotels.

I get in my hotel those kind of reservations request on a regular basis and i ignore it most of the time as it obvious spam.

Especially during the high season i get mails from so-called travel agents who are requesting rooms with meals for a long period of time and ask for a total price.

I've been sending emails to various small hotels to check availability, but most of them don't even bother to reply.

I'm sorry but I'm not really surprised that you don't get many reply's from the hotels.

I get in my hotel those kind of reservations request on a regular basis and i ignore it most of the time as it obvious spam.

Especially during the high season i get mails from so-called travel agents who are requesting rooms with meals for a long period of time and ask for a total price.

Well, what should I do, then? Start the email with "Th1z iz n0t zp@m!" ? :) I got a reply from maybe 3 out of 10, and they were already fully booked during Xmas.

Better chance of staying all together in a hotel outside of Patong, maybe towards the south of the island. By all means, the crew will love to have a few nights out in Patong, but living and staying there for 2 1/2 months might not be ideal!

As I say, unless you're also working in Patong, you should consider the transport / logistics for daily trips out to your set. Getting into and out of Patong is a nightmare.

They will mostly work in a hotel in the most southern part of Patong. It's impossible not to see the irony in this...

They will mostly work in a hotel in the most southern part of Patong. It's impossible not to see the irony in this...

There are a number of fairly new places in southern Patong that may be interested, as they won't have too much in the way of advance and repeat bookings. Find a hotel map on google and look at the road leading to Karon. There's a whole new development on the right there near the corner. Give some of them a go. You may not all get into one place but you may get enough rooms in the general vicinity.

And what Merjin says is true. There are a number od spam emails for group bookings that small hotel owners just delete so you will need to make sure that your emails are read. Don't ask for an in full amount including all meals and transport, don't ask to pay in advance by credit card, use an official looking email address, provide a phone number give a link to a website if you have one. This is to enable people to realise you are genuine.

Edited by madmitch

And that from the same guy who is claiming all the tome there are no returning guests because phuket, especially patong, is overpriced and poor value for money.

Don't misquote me. I have always said, "Phuket is outpricing itself in the South East Asian holiday market."

Vacancy rates are rising here. Some of that is tourist going elsewhere, some of that is due to all the new buildings for accommodation. Also, varying currency exchange rates at the moment. We are talking about 30 rooms. Not a small order. It would have to be a decent sized hotel, for a start, but, if he only wanted, say, six rooms, I think he could get them anywhere at the time.

I know you will ask, "Where are you getting your figures from?" You may believe the figures that TAT come out with, but I don't. Those figures are just the Thai executives justifying their large salaries and they have to be seen as doing a good jobs, so, they just fiddle the figures. Look at the airlines. Thai Airways making big losses. Other airlines lowering the frequency of the Phuket route. Sure, other new routes have opened up. Eg. Russia, India, Middle East - BUT, as has been discussed here many times, this demographic of tourist do not spend up big. I know Australian airlines are now focusing back on Bali. I also acknowledge that Air Berlin has announced it will increase frequency to Phuket next high season. I talk to owners. Their high season takings are lower. Many are struggling.

There are a hell of a lot of bars, guest houses, hotels and properties for sale at the moment and by foreigners, not Thai's. They wouldn't be selling if they were making money.

As I have said, it''s the Thai landlords who keep pushing up rents, based on their greed, and not fiscal reasons. Those rent increases are pushed back onto the consumer, that's your expats and tourist, many of which, are going elsewhere or moving away.

In more recent times I have lost expat friends to Chiang Mai, Udon Thani, Pattaya and Vietnam. Three out of the four guys have girls, so, that's seven people I know who will not be contributing to the Phuket economy. They WERE all lovers of Phuket. So, if I know seven who have moved on, how many other members on TV know seven people who have moved, and if more are moving than staying, what's it say about the place? That may be question for a topic on another threat.

Anyway, way off topic, but, I appreciate you keeping an eye out for my posts. :) :) :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

As I have said, it''s the Thai landlords who keep pushing up rents, based on their greed, and not fiscal reasons.

What are you talking about?

Of course it's for fiscal reasons.

That's capitalism and the free market for you.

If they keep upping the rent and there are still takers, then that is good business practice.

Ever heard of "Whatever the market will bear"

Don't misquote me. I have always said, "Phuket is outpricing itself in the South East Asian holiday market."

Yes, you have said many things, and you have also said on a regular basis that there are no returning guests coming to Phuket because it is overpriced, the tuktuks are too expensive plus mafia, etc.

But now suddenly there are no rooms available because of all the returning guests?

Yes, you have said many things, and you have also said on a regular basis that there are no returning guests coming to Phuket because it is overpriced, the tuktuks are too expensive plus mafia, etc.

But now suddenly there are no rooms available because of all the returning guests?

We are talking about 30 rooms - all in one establishment.

I stand by my previous comments. Phuket is losing it's return tourist in lieu of new markets. Eg. Russians, Indians and Arabs - BUT - they do not spend up big on alcohol etc.

Sorry to deflate you, but, yes, their is organised crime (Mafia) here and the tuk-tuks are overpriced. It's a bit hard to deny it.

As I have said, it''s the Thai landlords who keep pushing up rents, based on their greed, and not fiscal reasons.

What are you talking about?

Of course it's for fiscal reasons.

That's capitalism and the free market for you.

If they keep upping the rent and there are still takers, then that is good business practice.

Ever heard of "Whatever the market will bear"

Good point and you are correct. After buying the lease, and paying "key money" then contending with high monthly rent, the Thai landlords are sitting back waiting for your business to fail, so you default, then they evict and sell it again to the next starrry eyed foreigner who has more money than brains. So, you are right.

Ever heard of the term, "Bubble." They eventually burst.

Phuket is losing it's return tourist in lieu of new markets.

And another quote from you:

I don't think you will be able to all stay at the same hotel, due to return guests booking 12 months ahead, year on year.

Sounds contradictory to me.

But anyway, this is off topic.

Phuket is losing it's return tourist in lieu of new markets.

And another quote from you:

I don't think you will be able to all stay at the same hotel, due to return guests booking 12 months ahead, year on year.

Sounds contradictory to me.

But anyway, this is off topic.

Not conradictory. The Europeans, Americans and Australians are not coming to Phuket in the numbers they used to. Thailand now market to Russian, Indians and Arabs but this demographic do not spend up big, so, bars in particular, are struggling or vacant.

Once again, a 30 room booking is rare. If he wanted 6 rooms, no problems at all, because vacancy rates are growing.

Yes, off topic, but always happy to entertain you. :)

Ever heard of the term, "Bubble." They eventually burst.

Yes, but, we're not there yet.

Nowhere near, not when it comes to rental property.

"we're not there yet" - BUT - are we heading in that direction???? I think, yes, and if I am right, it's not a matter of IF, just WHEN.

Gotta say it...have you sorted all those work permits yet :D

Luckily I get many returning guest in my hotel year in year out.

But I have to admit it takes more effort to fill up the hotel especially during the low season.

Before it was not a problem at all to fill up all the rooms and people were booking at least 6 months in advanced.

Now you still get the same people but they book maybe 1 or 2 months in advance and I also get many reservations for the next day or so.

Basically this tells me that there is still money to be made ( when you have a good product on offer ) but it takes more effort to get it.

But I’m convinced that when you offer a good product for a normal price and be honest you don’t have much problems. For this reason I’m still going to build a new small boutique hotel in Patong in about 1 year from now.

Gotta say it...have you sorted all those work permits yet :D

No need to worry about that. I have a friend who is "big police" in Patong, and he has promised me to fix the permits for a small fee... :D

Jokes aside, my job is only to get them a place to stay.

I notice that some of the usual members are doing their best to get off topic, but I'm really not surprised. However, I want to thank everybody that has been giving me valuable hints and help. The crew contacted me again today only to make my tasks more difficult, as their budget is max. 1500 baht /night / room. Maybe I should ask the ladies at Suzie Wong for some recommendations? B)