Thais And There Superstitions

Thongkorn

In was being ironic , but I suppose i can start a post about Thai visa members not having a sense of humor , Chok Dee

Who knows. It was just a "Welcome", that can mean almost everything.

Still asking myself what kind of reply would have been a correct and proper one to his " attempt at a witty retort". :whistling:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows. It was just a "Welcome", that can mean almost everything.

Still asking myself what kind of reply would have been a correct and proper one to his " attempt at a witty retort". :whistling:

A bloody big :lol: would have boosted my ego to extent that I can show my face around here again! :D

Let's get this interesting thread back on track, shall we ? I'm not interested in reading posts by other people with sensitive egos.

I read once that reincarnation and even white magic were originally part of Christianity, but were not included in the "officially" accepted form of it after the Council Of Nicea.

What really interests me though is the human tendency to often see things in black and white. For instance a child may be somehow picking up memories of a departed person imprinted in a certain place, but this does not necessarily mean that they themselves were that person, exclusively.

There have been, for example, numerous people claiming to have been Napoleon.....and other famous people throughout history. My own view is that we ALL have, in some way, a connection to "Universal Mind" (and if you're widely-read, there is evidence that the entire universe is in some way conscious.....or at least that there is a connection between inanimate objects and our consciousness........it is impossible to separate the experimenter from the experiment ) and therefore have access to past memories if we are tuned in. Christians call Universal Mind "God", for lack of a better description; other religions project the same idea onto their own cultural model .

Edited by Latindancer

Let's get this interesting thread back on track, shall we ? I'm not interested in reading posts by other people with sensitive egos.

I read once that reincarnation and even white magic were originally part of Christianity, but were not included in the "officially" accepted form of it after the Council Of Nicea.

What really interests me though is the human tendency to often see things in black and white. For instance a child may be somehow picking up memories of a departed person imprinted in a certain place, but this does not necessarily mean that they themselves were that person, exclusively.

There have been, for example, numerous people claiming to have been Napoleon.....and other famous people throughout history. My own view is that we ALL have, in some way, a connection to "Universal Mind" (and if you're widely-read, there is evidence that the entire universe is in some way conscious.....or at least that there is a connection between inanimate objects and our consciousness........it is impossible to separate the experimenter from the experiment ) and therefore have access to past memories if we are tuned in. Christians call Universal Mind "God", for lack of a better description; other religions project the same idea onto their own cultural model .

But why do you think stuff like this? There's no evidence at all for any of it.

How can you entertain belief in 'memories....imprinted in a certain place" that has no basis at all in any observation or knowledge . Memories are physical. If you stimulate people's brains with electrodes you can evoke them. If brain areas are damaged by encephalitis or Alzheimer's, memories, short and long term, can be completely lost to the point where people no longer know who they are. Doesn't this suggest to you memories are brain activities and when the brain doesn't exist nor does the memory? Why can't a memory "imprint itself" in the brain of an Alzheimer's patient, with an existing but damaged brain, if it's able to imprint itself in my front room where there's no brain at all?

Isn't the most likely reason that many people think they are Napoleon is because they are a little disturbed , and Napoleon is such a gigantic figure in history that they have heard of him?

How many Thais claim to be Rama 3, and how many Thais claim to be someone they've never heard of out of western culture? I would hazard none, because they would need to have heard of the person before claiming to be him , and so mentally ill Thais don't claim to be westerners, and it's a rare westerner that would claim to be Rama 3. It comes from inside people's heads not outside.

When you know for sure that mental illness exists, and causes people to hear and see things that aren't there, why would you choose an explanation that uses spirits, universal minds, memory imprinting on thin air, and so on, which to say the least are controversial , and which despite hundreds of years of looking, have never been proved to even exist?

A look at any psychiatry text book shows you decade after decade of observation and documentation of comparatively common mental diseases causing people to hear and see things that aren't there.

Surely it's just ordinary rational sensible thinking to go first for the explanation that doesn't involve paranormal activities?

I'm always interested as to why people don't do this-they want and desire to have a fanciful explanation when a rational one is adequate.

I think there is in fact evidence for it, but mainstream thinkers don't accept it because of "confirmation bias ".

Having said that, I believe that the eminent neuroscientist Sir John Eccles wrote a book in which he painstakingly pointed out that as far as he could make out, the mind exists outside of the brain. However I have not read it.

I agree with you that people project their wishful thoughts about a past incarnation onto figures in their own cultural context.

And yes, there are many mentally ill people who hear voices.

However there are many well-documented cases of young children going to places they've never been before and identifying in detail living people who had been their relatives in a past life.

Memory imprinting on thin air or inanimate objects ?

Lyall Watson ( a natural historian who wrote Supernature) wrote a book called The Nature Of Things in which he describes our connection to the inanimate world. Unfortunately I cannot quote from it as it has been many years since I read it.

He was an educated, rational and sensible thinker, with degrees in botany and zoology, geology, chemistry, marine biology, ecology and anthropology, and a doctorate of ethology from the University of London.

Edited by Latindancer

Reincarnation is not scary. I'm sure I've been here before.

At least half the world's population believe in it.

how do you think the Dalai lama is chosen, and all the other Lamas - they have to identify objects that used to be theirs in a previous life.

Anyone who thinks we live, die and nothing happens doesn't understand the laws of thermodynamics or spirituality.

I'm pretty sure that I used to be my grandfather. He died by jumping off a tall building. I have a phobia about heights.

All through my early days, all my Aunts and Uncles said there was a remarkable similarity between us(character-wise).

I used to hang out in a bar in Melbourne all day and night when I was a student and felt at home there. Not so long ago I found out my grandfather worked there.

Haha are you kidding?

If half the world believes in something, that makes it right? A lot of people think evolution is bogus. Does that make that true?

You're citing the method of choosing the Dalai Lama as if its some sort of scientific procedure? Seriously? Because a boy choses the "correct" objects, that somehow proves that he is the reincarnation of someone else?

What exactly are the "laws of spirituality"?

Your fear of heights proves you are the reincarnation of your grandfather? A fear of heights must be one of the most common phobias that exists. And showing a resemblance in personality to a family member is the rule, not the exception. Our personalities are shaped by our parents, whose personalities were shaped by their parents. Its not unusual at all that your character and mannerisms would resemble those of your grandfather.

I'm not saying reincarnation isn't real. Actually, I'm quite open minded on the subject. But the evidence you use here is pretty weak

Well said. Though don't pretend to be above it all - it was a bit of silliness but no different from a lot of the deriding posts already going through this forum, and everyone likes to throw little insults into their posts, it seems.

That said, back on track!

An interesting theory, and certainly not one that comes from just being 'widely-read'. James Cameron used a similar setup in 'Avatar', and that kind of thought is fairly common amongst hippies and their ilk. I do find it fascinating, and the 'Universal Mind' idea being worshipped as 'God' certainly would fit. That said, it does evoke quite a few questions. However, I am of the belief that science and religion aren't so different, and used to be one and the same.

Surely it's just ordinary rational sensible thinking to go first for the explanation that doesn't involve paranormal activities?

I'm always interested as to why people don't do this-they want and desire to have a fanciful explanation when a rational one is adequate.

I loved it when Stephen Hawking asked, "why, if there is intelligent life that have come here why do they only show themselves to crazy people?"

I think that the Thai's and their superstitions are cool. Every human should have a way to explore what things mean. We all have dreams which I think is the brains way of sorting things out. Superstitions are an extension of that. My friend's wife drives all over Thailand to see sooth sayers. What's the harm? It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the shrinks that we in the west use.

My wife's grandmother can talk to the ancestors. How cool is that? After our engagement party she and her sisters prepared a 5 course meal for the ancestors which I took a photo of. Obviously I don't believe that they came and ate it overnight but it was a beautiful experience.

I've been interested in mythology for years and spirituality. It's like beautiful art to me. If I look at a painting I get nothing, but the woods and the sea talk to me. Great music has a way of connecting ourselves with our humanity as well. The drums in modern music are not much different from the sounds our ancestors made.

One time 20 year ago I went to the grave of my oldest ancestor and danced barefoot on his grave in the rain. I was really listening for some sort of profound message, but I'm pretty sure he said "put your shoes on and go home you crazy bastard"

We have so much brain capacity why be afraid to explore it. Give it a little freedom, let it run and see where it takes us.

An interesting theory, and certainly not one that comes from just being 'widely-read'. James Cameron used a similar setup in 'Avatar', and that kind of thought is fairly common amongst hippies and their ilk...However, I am of the belief that science and religion aren't so different, and used to be one and the same.

Wow.

We have so much brain capacity why be afraid to explore it. Give it a little freedom, let it run and see where it takes us.

Are you persisting in your belief in the previously mentioned urban legend re brain usage? (Given that you never acknowledged my posts on it and the sentence I've quoted above, I'm curious)

An interesting theory, and certainly not one that comes from just being 'widely-read'. James Cameron used a similar setup in 'Avatar', and that kind of thought is fairly common amongst hippies and their ilk...However, I am of the belief that science and religion aren't so different, and used to be one and the same.

Wow.

:lol:

Yeah, perhaps I should have edited it a little to come across less... foolish? But the words just weren't there, so I left it. I do feel that this whole idea of a 'Universal Mind' is a pretty popular theory nowadays, and back when the 'Hippie movement' was huge the idea of embracing a sort of 'Universal life force' was certainly there. Ok, you may not agree, and maybe I could have worded it better, but it's certainly a popular theory and not a new one at that.

Geez, you are really a piece of work, Bud. You are in need of some serious professional help accompanied by heavy sedation. Please.

Are you stalking me?

Why don't you do what your signature says; "Shut up and Fish" Bub.

I loved it when Stephen Hawking asked, "why, if there is intelligent life that have come here why do they only show themselves to crazy people?"

I think that the Thai's and their superstitions are cool. Every human should have a way to explore what things mean. We all have dreams which I think is the brains way of sorting things out. Superstitions are an extension of that. My friend's wife drives all over Thailand to see sooth sayers. What's the harm? It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the shrinks that we in the west use.

My wife's grandmother can talk to the ancestors. How cool is that? After our engagement party she and her sisters prepared a 5 course meal for the ancestors which I took a photo of. Obviously I don't believe that they came and ate it overnight but it was a beautiful experience.

I've been interested in mythology for years and spirituality. It's like beautiful art to me. If I look at a painting I get nothing, but the woods and the sea talk to me. Great music has a way of connecting ourselves with our humanity as well. The drums in modern music are not much different from the sounds our ancestors made.

One time 20 year ago I went to the grave of my oldest ancestor and danced barefoot on his grave in the rain. I was really listening for some sort of profound message, but I'm pretty sure he said "put your shoes on and go home you crazy bastard"

:whistling:

Are you persisting in your belief in the previously mentioned urban legend re brain usage? (Given that you never acknowledged my posts on it and the sentence I've quoted above, I'm curious)

I have no idea what "re brain" usage is. One thing I am sure of is that my connection with the world is my own. Labels put limits on ideas. An intellectual discussion on this topis is useless because it confines it. What does it matter to me what people want to believe? It dosen't. Why would I want to confine myself to someone else's idea of beauty?

Yesterday I found beauty in cariing for my wifes fish and saying a little prayer for the dead ones.

Right now I'm jammin on Eminem and Rihanna. It speaks to me. Why would that be anyone elses business? What are you afraid of?

A little off topic but maybe relevant , My father had a heart operation , they had to stop his heart to complete the Treatment , he told me after the operation that he had watched the process from above the operation table, He then went on to describe who did what and how they did it, Also at what time, A sort of out of the body experience , i questioned the hospital staff and doctors and he was correct in every detail , also the doctors and nurses told me that this was not uncommon for Patience that have died or there heart has had to be stopped for a time during a surgical proceeder

A little off topic but maybe relevant , My father had a heart operation , they had to stop his heart to complete the Treatment , he told me after the operation that he had watched the process from above the operation table, He then went on to describe who did what and how they did it, Also at what time, A sort of out of the body experience , i questioned the hospital staff and doctors and he was correct in every detail , also the doctors and nurses told me that this was not uncommon for Patience that have died or there heart has had to be stopped for a time during a surgical proceeder

Thought OBE can be done without the heart stopping? Anyway, reincarnation is a religious thing, same as some believes when the prophet returns, his followers shall rise from their grave. To each their own but for me, i always dream of my own funeral, i mean the exact day and year of my demise, will that make me a lunatic in need of help?

I have no idea what "re brain" usage is. One thing I am sure of is that my connection with the world is my own. Labels put limits on ideas. An intellectual discussion on this topis is useless because it confines it. What does it matter to me what people want to believe? It dosen't. Why would I want to confine myself to someone else's idea of beauty?

Yesterday I found beauty in cariing for my wifes fish and saying a little prayer for the dead ones.

Right now I'm jammin on Eminem and Rihanna. It speaks to me. Why would that be anyone elses business? What are you afraid of?

That should have been "re:"

I was referring to this comment from you:

Many scientist believe that we are born with far greator brain capacity than what most of us are accustomed to using.

And my response

Myth. Please feel free to list these many sicentists. or even show me a source for one. (I'd like to now if I'm wrong because personally it bugs me a lot when peole just make casual assertions of fact that are actually nothing of the sort -- and I believe you've been know to do that on this forum).

The rest of your post may sound groovy and profound to your own ears but in all honesty I'm sure you must recognize you aren't really saying anything much.

-- Yes, your connection with the world (whatever that means to you) is by definition your own. Not sure what that has to do with me or my post.

-- Labels are labels. They label things. They don't put limits on ideas. Ideas may or may not have "limits" but labels aren't putting them there, labels are giving things names which without them it would often be difficult to discuss them. But again, not sure what that has to do with anything I posted either.

-- An intellectual discussion of a topic confines a topic? What an...odd idea. (Especially from someone who so typically likes to denigrate the intellectual capacities of TV members and imply that their intellectual powers are far superior).

-- I don't think it should matter to you what people believe. Never suggested it should. Certainly doesn't matter to me. Confine yourself to someone else's idea of beauty?! Say what? Where have I stated or implied that you should? (I don't even know what that means).

-- It's not my business what you are listening to. In fact, I didn't ask you, did I? (I suspect I know the track you are listening to and I can understand why you might feel it speaks to you, given the personal history you've not been reluctant to share).

-- What am I afraid of? Certainly not your musical taste or anything else on this thread. An extremely odd question.

That should have been "re:"

I was referring to this comment from you:

Many scientist believe that we are born with far greator brain capacity than what most of us are accustomed to using.

And my response

Myth. Please feel free to list these many sicentists. or even show me a source for one. (I'd like to now if I'm wrong because personally it bugs me a lot when peole just make casual assertions of fact that are actually nothing of the sort -- and I believe you've been know to do that on this forum).

The rest of your post may sound groovy and profound to your own ears but in all honesty I'm sure you must recognize you aren't really saying anything much.

-- Yes, your connection with the world (whatever that means to you) is by definition your own. Not sure what that has to do with me or my post.

-- Labels are labels. They label things. They don't put limits on ideas. Ideas may or may not have "limits" but labels aren't putting them there, labels are giving things names which without them it would often be difficult to discuss them. But again, not sure what that has to do with anything I posted either.

-- An intellectual discussion of a topic confines a topic? What an...odd idea. (Especially from someone who so typically likes to denigrate the intellectual capacities of TV members and imply that their intellectual powers are far superior).

-- I don't think it should matter to you what people believe. Never suggested it should. Certainly doesn't matter to me. Confine yourself to someone else's idea of beauty?! Say what? Where have I stated or implied that you should? (I don't even know what that means).

-- It's not my business what you are listening to. In fact, I didn't ask you, did I? (I suspect I know the track you are listening to and I can understand why you might feel it speaks to you, given the personal history you've not been reluctant to share).

-- What am I afraid of? Certainly not your musical taste or anything else on this thread. An extremely odd question.

Unless you can prescribe stronger meds I think you're onto a loser there. :D

"The rest of your post may sound groovy and profound to your own ears but in all honesty I'm sure you must recognize you aren't really saying anything much."

I said what I wanted to say on the topic. What's it to you? why don't you stick to making your own case on the topic because I couldn't care less what you think about what I said.

"I didn't say anything much" and you said way too much about something I said which you claim not to care about. That was right after you said it bugs you when people make casual assertions. Apparently your bugged by a lot of things.

So, which is it? care or not care? Why does what I say upset you so much?

"Especially from someone who so typically likes to denigrate the intellectual capacities of TV members and imply that their intellectual powers are far superior"

Are you threatened by that? Do you have questions about your intellectual capacities? Otherwise why bring it up. I certainly don't care what anyone might think of my capacities.

Edited by trisailer

Myth. Please feel free to list these many sicentists. or even show me a source for one. I'd like to now if I'm wrong because personally it bugs me a lot when peole just make casual assertions of fact that are actually nothing of the sort

My own opinion is that we only use 10% of our brains for conscious rational thought....the rest is used for other processes....emotion, bodily movement, breathing, sight etc.

Here's an article from Scientific American which may shed light on the topic :

Do People Only Use 10 Percent Of Their Brains?

The human brain is complex. Along with performing millions of mundane acts, it composes concertos, issues manifestos and comes up with elegant solutions to equations. It's the wellspring of all human feelings, behaviors, experiences as well as the repository of memory and self-awareness. So it's no surprise that the brain remains a mystery unto itself.

Adding to that mystery is the contention that humans "only" employ 10 percent of their brain. If only regular folk could tap that other 90 percent, they too could become savants who remember π to the twenty-thousandth decimal place or perhaps even have telekinetic powers.

Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. Although there's no definitive culprit to pin the blame on for starting this legend, the notion has been linked to the American psychologist and author William James, who argued in The Energies of Men that "We are making use of only a small part of our possible mental and physical resources." It's also been associated with to Albert Einstein, who supposedly used it to explain his cosmic towering intellect.

The myth's durability, Gordon says, stems from people's conceptions about their own brains: they see their own shortcomings as evidence of the existence of untapped gray matter. This is a false assumption. What is correct, however, is that at certain moments in anyone's life, such as when we are simply at rest and thinking, we may be using only 10 percent of our brains.

"It turns out though, that we use virtually every part of the brain, and that [most of] the brain is active almost all the time," Gordon adds. "Let's put it this way: the brain represents three percent of the body's weight and uses 20 percent of the body's energy."

The average human brain weighs about three pounds and comprises the hefty cerebrum, which is the largest portion and performs all higher cognitive functions; the cerebellum, responsible for motor functions, such as the coordination of movement and balance; and the brain stem, dedicated to involuntary functions like breathing. The majority of the energy consumed by the brain powers the rapid firing of millions of neurons communicating with each other. Scientists think it is such neuronal firing and connecting that gives rise to all of the brain's higher functions. The rest of its energy is used for controlling other activities—both unconscious activities, such as heart rate, and conscious ones, such as driving a car.

Although it's true that at any given moment all of the brain's regions are not concurrently firing, brain researchers using imaging technology have shown that, like the body's muscles, most are continually active over a 24-hour period. "Evidence would show over a day you use 100 percent of the brain," says John Henley, a neurologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Even in sleep, areas such as the frontal cortex, which controls things like higher level thinking and self-awareness, or the somatosensory areas, which help people sense their surroundings, are active, Henley explains.

Take the simple act of pouring coffee in the morning: In walking toward the coffeepot, reaching for it, pouring the brew into the mug, even leaving extra room for cream, the occipital and parietal lobes, motor sensory and sensory motor cortices, basal ganglia, cerebellum and frontal lobes all activate. A lightning storm of neuronal activity occurs almost across the entire brain in the time span of a few seconds.

"This isn't to say that if the brain were damaged that you wouldn't be able to perform daily duties," Henley continues. "There are people who have injured their brains or had parts of it removed who still live fairly normal lives, but that is because the brain has a way of compensating and making sure that what's left takes o

Being able to map the brain's various regions and functions is part and parcel of understanding the possible side effects should a given region begin to fail. Experts know that neurons that perform similar functions tend to cluster together. For example, neurons that control the thumb's movement are arranged next to those that control the forefinger. Thus, when undertaking brain surgery, neurosurgeons carefully avoid neural clusters related to vision, hearing and movement, enabling the brain to retain as many of its functions as possible.

What's not understood is how clusters of neurons from the diverse regions of the brain collaborate to form consciousness. So far, there's no evidence that there is one site for consciousness, which leads experts to believe that it is truly a collective neural effort. Another mystery hidden within our crinkled cortices is that out of all the brain's cells, only 10 percent are neurons; the other 90 percent are glial cells, which encapsulate and support neurons, but whose function remains largely unknown. Ultimately, it's not that we use 10 percent of our brains, merely that we only understand about 10 percent of how it functions.

Edited by Latindancer

I can attack you (or someone else ) if you like :D since it seems to be the custom on this and some other forums.:fight:

I remember reading about the studies done on sections of Einstein's brain after he died and the only difference they could find between him and us was that he had more glial cells.

I guess if you could liken the brain to a computer, you might say he had more RAM ....and perhaps a larger hard drive too.

Just to get the topic back onto superstition, I have had a number of synchronous events happen in my life, in which the timing was fantastic. ( "syn" meaning "same", and "chronos" meaning "time" ).

Many would say it's superstitious nonsense because there are so many individual events happening all the time that some are bound to happen close to each other. But these ones had MEANING.

There are whole books written about synchronicity, with many anecdotes that would blow your conceptions. Personally, I think humans are connected in subtle ways we can not yet comprehend. Synchronicity happens more often between people than between people and inanimate objects.

Edited by Latindancer

When I was driving in Thailand at night in Nongbualumphu I noticed some people would drive without their lights on, even motorcycles. I asked my mate why and she told me it was so the bad spirits couldn't find them.

The spirits will find them quicker that way when they crash haha.

There is theory that the brain stops for a nano second , making the person think that he or her has been at that place before ,, This could explain why so many people think thay have been to places before and if fact they are already there ,

There is theory that the brain stops for a nano second , making the person think that he or her has been at that place before ,, This could explain why so many people think thay have been to places before and if fact they are already there ,

biggrin.gif

my brain stopped for a nanosecond after reading that. Did you just invent this? If your brain stopped for a nanosecond you would just miss a nanosecond of experience. How could you remember it if your brain had stopped?

my brain stopped for a nanosecond after reading that. Did you just invent this? If your brain stopped for a nanosecond you would just miss a nanosecond of experience. How could you remember it if your brain had stopped?

Have you been here before :rolleyes:

Edited by Thongkorn