Why Thailand’s Sexpat Community Hates Thaksin

george

An incompetent article by an incompetent writer. All expats are sex deviates and here for only one thing.....insipid beyond belief. Go back to where you left Dan and dig a hole.....and do your research rather than putting all your apples in one barrel.

Hey you,,I'm not a "sex deviate" and i hate Thaksin, so shut your pie hole

and open your eyes...

There are no adequate words to describe your article - its not only poorly writen but lackign the research and facts required to hold readers attention.

I must say that you should consider another profession

I have only lived in Thailand 7 years - I am not the expat that has seen and done everything and knows all about Thailand - but I get the feeling you are that stereotype. (would you like to share your details with your readers to provide a foundation for your literary works ?)

I certainly do not appreciate being bundled together with OTHERS no matter what country I live.

I detest writers such as yourself - and from what I can tell - so do the readers after having read your article.

Do you have mechanical or other skills to benefit yourself - because your writing is quite inferior.

That's my opinion and I am holding to it with truth on my mind.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An incompetent article by an incompetent writer. All expats are sex deviates and here for only one thing.....insipid beyond belief. Go back to where you left Dan and dig a hole.....and do your research rather than putting all your apples in one barrel.

<deleted> we are not all like you with you drive. Some of us met our wives (Thai) through normal means and have never been with a prostitute. My son is not the result of me me being a sexpat or my wife working in a bar. Our family is the same normal family that you will find anywhere in the world.

I don't believe he said all expats are sexpats. He said there are a lot of sexpats in Thailand

Its called generalisation, all articles are written in this form. No writer can address each and every one of the subjects/ob jects.

So why do people always take exception and very quicky state (as in this article : "NOT me mate, I ain't a <deleted> perv". Why or WHY ?? Its GENERALISATION, and lets face it, he does hit the nail on the head on a 'relatively' big percentage of people in Thailand.

In any country, why would you ever label your primary fascination as being the women if you were NOT a sexpat?

My primary fascination has been women since I was 5 years old and that was long before I knew that you could pay for sex. It is part of being a healthy male heterosexual. bleh.gif

:jap: correct in my case, but the drinking and drugs came much later... and still remain secondary to a good poke!B)

<deleted> we are not all like you with you drive. Some of us met our wives (Thai) through normal means and have never been with a prostitute. My son is not the result of me me being a sexpat or my wife working in a bar. Our family is the same normal family that you will find anywhere in the world.

Maybe you should reread what he has posted.

THE Financial Times (UK) Wednesday 19/05 has a leader comment ( third one down) expressing concern about Thaksin's sister standing in the upcoming election. The paper is arguing its a retrograde step because it will drag Thailand back into past conflicts. They are right from whatever angle you view this politically, military, nationally, Tourist business, socially - its looking grim. Thailand needs to go forward and elect leaders who can unite the country not sink into deep divisions again. The FT argues there is now inevitably a troublesome time coming. Such a pity when Thai economy is doing well and Tourists are coming back. That family cannot take Thailand into a progressive future because it is believed they cannot democratically unite its people

No surprise that all the grumpy old expats here are chastising this article. It's actually a decent article that accurately profiles a lot of expats here. I know because i've met a ton of them, and so have you.

The suprising thing is the outrage shown, " Iam not this, I am not that".......Its usually the case that people who proclaim their innocence the loudest are the most guilty.....strangely enough Taksin S. is a master of this defensive tactic...:whistling:

In a great number of cases the reason a male expat's have moved to Thailand is 1. Availability of subservient local woman 2. Availability of subservient local women 3. relatively cheap to live

An incompetent article by an incompetent writer. All expats are sex deviates and here for only one thing.....insipid beyond belief.

i would have thought expats and sexpats ,

who have been brought up in countries

that have corrupt politicians

dont give a monkeys , about someting they cannot control ,

thai politics/politicians.

:jap:

I don't believe he said all expats are sexpats. He said there are a lot of sexpats in Thailand

Its called generalisation, all articles are written in this form. No writer can address each and every one of the subjects/ob jects.

So why do people always take exception and very quicky state (as in this article : "NOT me mate, I ain't a <deleted> perv". Why or WHY ?? Its GENERALISATION, and lets face it, he does hit the nail on the head on a 'relatively' big percentage of people in Thailand.

I wouldn't disagree that there are a lot of blokes here for the ladies, what percentage they make up i would not care to guess at. However, of this group, the ones that i have come across probably would not know who Taksin was if he was sat next to them on a barstool buying the drinks.

Perhaps he tries to screw his students. Perhaps, dreaming of the license for debauchery issued only to artists, he becomes a “writer”, imagining himself a Bukowski or Hunter S. Thompson. He is not a Bukowski, nor a Hunter S. Thompson, and his books, which invariably detail his lurid exploits, are filed in a special section of Thai bookshops labelled “Expat Writing”. Perhaps he finds work in a boiler room or sells drugs or runs scams.

It tooks me quite a while to read through all the replies, all the opinions, all the pro and contra, but this article is definitively not worth a comment. What does sex deal with politics? Really not worth a comment. His article is also labelled .... "Expat Writing" ....

fatfather :sick:

It's amusing how this article seems to have hit a sensitive spot in many of the forum's aficionados, who are by no means a representative sample of the whole expat community in Thailand but definitely fit the stereotype described in the piece. Arrogant, racist, ignorant - no matter how many degrees they claim to have - westerners who abuse the country's friendliness and hospitality are the main drag here for all the other peace-seeking, decent foreigners. Luckily, most of them are early baby boomers and won't be around much longer, especially considering their lifestyle... But I would not fully blame them for their disconnected rantings, we all know those little pills can wreak havoc on the human brain..

Thaksin might have abused his position somewhat and "lined his own nest" ...

BUT AT LEAST HE HELPED THE "LITTLE" THAI PEOPLE !!!

The hard-working Thai people in the villages LOVE him !!

Not true, our nanny lives there and they don't like him. They are scared of what he can do to them. And they never liked him. It was the cash he spread around for the elections. He bought his post, and then stole billions of baht from the Thai people. Some have figured it out.

westerners who abuse the country's friendliness and hospitality are the main drag here for all the other peace-seeking, decent foreigners.

Have actually lived in Thailand for any length of time...?....:rolleyes: and <deleted> has peace seeking got to do with sexpats or Taksin...:whistling:

Mr. Dan

You are on thin ice. You drag most of us who live here down in the dirt. You are totally useless and should ask us who live here for completely different reasons, an apology.

I do not like Thaksin, but for quite different reasons than the visa rules.

We have families at home who might read what you write and think that it's true. You should be ashamed of yourself your jerk. Sexpats is a very small part of us Foreigners who live around Thailand.

Dont think i will have to worrie about it on the golf course :rolleyes:

I love the Thai caddies; they know nothing about golf, but they make great gic!!!:blink:

One assumes here you are talking about female Thai caddies.....:rolleyes:

What a monumental wanke_r and totally incompetent twisted journalist!

I had difficulty figuring out whether he was referring to a singular description of the stereotypical expat or whether he was describing multiple facets of various stereotypical characters?

It would have to be the latter surely as there were just too many nefarious characters rolled into one.

Take my example for start,... Yes I've been to Phuket and Pattaya and confess to having had a wonderful time with many of the lovely girls down there and was happy to help them out with their finances and the sending home of money to Issaan (* editorial note,.. I never thought of buying a bar and becoming their "pimp" though). Later I became an English teacher for a while but I felt I was qualified being the holder of an English degree (a real one!) as part of a double arts degree and added to that two college degrees plus a TEFL certificate (*editorial note: I never tried to "screw" any of my students and in fact made many real and good friends through it and to this day still hold a respected reputation in that community).

Everyone's entitled to a bit of holiday fun. Now after 8 years here have settled down and got married, have 2 awesome kids, two houses, two cars, a business and many friends and a very fulfilling life! I suspected I wasn't the only one, and the results of the survey appear to bear that out!

Noted in his posting of survey stats was omission of the fact that 84% of those surveyed are "happy in Thailand" so that contradicts he claim that the "stereotypical" expat "hates Thailand and only stays perhaps for the scenery and Temples"

The email I got about the survey results emphasized the 84% like figure and said that Thaksin wasn't "very popular" ,... again another example or poor and twisted journalism to say Thaksin was "hated"

Expat survey shows 84% happy in Thailand, Thaksin not very popular

What is it with this guy (the writer,.... I'm loathed to refer to him as a "journalist")? Why does he feel compelled to twist facts and go on an expat bashing spree?

Some people!!!

Dont think i will have to worrie about it on the golf course :rolleyes:

I love the Thai caddies; they know nothing about golf, but they make great gic!!!:blink:

my young lady caddy ,

finds my balls , without fail .

and no fines .

westerners who abuse the country's friendliness and hospitality are the main drag here for all the other peace-seeking, decent foreigners.

Have actually lived in Thailand for any length of time...?....:rolleyes: and <deleted> has peace seeking got to do with sexpats or Taksin...:whistling:

Maybe the fact that I can't even be suspected of being a sexpat gives me a different perspective...or maybe I just hang around better people than you, dear...and by the way, I mean it, slow down on those pills, they might give you a heart attack!

Judging by the quality of his article, some of his generalizations and, in particular, his ridiculously simplistic conclusion, I am assuming he calls himself a writer and lives in Thailand.

Do the sort of individuals he describes exist? Absolutely. Do the majority of them care what is happening in Thai politics? Absolutely not. They are the sort who would simply move to Cambodia or the Philippines if Thailand got rid of them.

Most expats who dislike Thaksin do so for entirely proper and justifiable reasons, for the same reasons, in fact, as those Thais who dislike him.

Maybe the fact that I can't even be suspected of being a sexpat gives me a different perspective...or maybe I just hang around better people than you, dear...and by the way, I mean it, slow down on those pills, they might give you a heart attack!

Dont need the little pills my dear and in fact I am a lot younger than the typical demographic of TV and I came to Thailand to work (not an "English" teacher) and the main reason I came here is that they were prepared to pay me a lot more than I would be paid in a "western" country for the same job.....;)

11 pages, more than 250 posters reading this thread at the time of this post (2:25 pm), the writer of this article is the king of trolls !

And from the answers, he 'd really hitted a raw nerve.

It's my advise to the owners of this forum to hire this guy without delay, TV is going to be so much more fun to read !

TV may even become like Fox, fair and balanced biggrin.gif.

First of all this guy should use a better picture for his blog :D

It's one thing to complain about the low quality of expat writers in Thailand, but putting on a demonstration to prove it was over the top. :rolleyes:

The interesting photo of our occasional blogger from his Twitter page

Snapshot_of_me_1_reasonably_small.jpg

Dan Waites

http://twitter.com/#!/danwaites

I can't judge his writing skills, because I am not an English native speaker, but his intent was clearly to provoke a strong reaction from the readers and he succeeded in this considering the number of replies.

I am not a journalist but I can try to do something similar. Just express a very strong and probably wrong opinion on something, but that could hurt some people. Let's try...

A recent poll on Thai Visa shows that the vast majority of its member dislikes Thaksin. The typical thai visa member is some sort of low life. A looser who came to Thailand to have sex with younger prostitutes and to get drunk every night. In his own country this person wouldn't be considered at all, because of his low education and intelligence. Now, the vast majority of the so called Thai "high-so" and educated Thai people dislike Thaksin. This means that the intellectual level of these loosers who write on Thai Visa is similar to that of the most educated people in Thailand. Therefore the uneducated Thai people, who mostly vote for Thaksin, must have an IQ even lower than that. In fact they are just a bunch of rice eaters, with no education and sense of humor, who force their children into prostitution and try to invent new scams every day. And it's not true that cops and politicians are corrupted here. Of course what I wrote is just a generalization.

Of course I don't believe in what I wrote but I applied the same logic that Dan Waites uses for his article. I think that this guy wanted some cheap publicity, I am not even sure he really thinks what he wrote. If he does, well it's his problem

And again this guy should use a better picture

Edited by Brunus