Why Thailand’s Sexpat Community Hates Thaksin

george

The comments review what is wrong! the majority were steaming before they even got to paragraph six, And as they finished the majority were so steam from what they read that they didn't comprehend what was actually written! Don't get mad as we get old we all get like that including me.

If you know history, Whether you like Thaksin or not he knew how to play the game to get in office and support. Like China, the majority of Thais live in the country. He help them to gain their support just like Mao in China to take over the country. They are all the same name me one country in the world that isn't corrupt? Before you do! don't go on and go making comparisions to each country trying to justify your position. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it is a duck!

Edited by thailand49

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find that french opinion is not taken seriously on thaivisa...:lol:

I would applaud with four hands if I could ! Although I do not like Taksin, he is more a greedy businessman than a humanist, I have to admit that he gave a new start to what should be "modern Thailand". All these sexpats that react with hatred to your article would be supporters of Sarah Palin in the US, their tiny little life is made of hatred and selfishness... the point is that, wherever they would live, they would criticize and exploit other. Their life is nothing but their miserable feeling of power when they treat others with arrogance.

Sorry for my poor english, I am french and not a supporter of DSK !

Well I'm a teacher (6 years - university level), still enjoy the bar scene (although I'm more discerning than I used to be) have had a few Isaan girlfriends (all a lot younger than me) and love most aspects of living in Thailand. Although I'm no fan of Thaksin the man, my sympathies are certainly with the Red shirt cause.

Dude, the red shirt cause IS Thaksin. Come on man!

With respect, I agree with the Uni teacher; the basic philosophy behind the Red Shirt movement is something with which I have great sympathy, but I do not like their leadership. In the same way, I believe in equality and freedom... but I don't necessarily like the person who may be the leader of the free world at any one time. An example is Bush; I can't stand the man... but I do subscribe to many of the ideals of the Republicans.

To have compassion for the poor is not to love Thaksin... their reality is his rhetoric.

Who is Dan Waites?

Actually, who cares?

This really is some of the worst journalistic writing that I have seen in a long time. I wonder how much Taxsin :whistling: paid Dan to wrote that article?

Really? I hope you spelt Thaksin's name wrong on purpose while belittling the writing standards of Dan Waites... Quite clearly you care as well or you wouldn't have bothered to post about what he's written...

Note the emoticon - not really very observant are we? :whistling:

To be honest, it';s not really going to have a big effect on how I feel. It's a poor piece of journalism, but it will certainly lead to some amusement value for a few hours today.

I'm going to differ from the crying and teeth gnashing by saying he hit the nail right on the head. His observations about the Thailand expat "community" and the general views of Thaksin have been mentioned a lot already. I still think the over the top expat grudge has more to do with beer curfew hours and bar hours. I remember when that was first proposed expats went berserk on here threatening everything from leaving (which none did) to hilarious plans for protest and boycotts (which also never happened.)

There's no reason to hate Thaksin that much. He's no worse than the current crop of chuckleheads in government and probably a great deal better in many aspects especially concerning business competency.

This is the same guy who had people executed without trial, right?

I would applaud with four hands if I could ! Although I do not like Taksin, he is more a greedy businessman than a humanist, I have to admit that he gave a new start to what should be "modern Thailand". All these sexpats that react with hatred to your article would be supporters of Sarah Palin in the US, their tiny little life is made of hatred and selfishness... the point is that, wherever they would live, they would criticize and exploit other. Their life is nothing but their miserable feeling of power when they treat others with arrogance.

The 'I do not like Thaksin', Thaksin supporters are back. Welcome. We missed you.

The 'I do not like Thaksin', Thaksin supporters are back. Welcome. We missed you.

I don't like Thaksin, but... no seriously, hear me out... elite.. coup... amart... fighter of the poor... double standards.... Abhisit the tryant... temple massacre...

You can spot 'em a mile off.

An incompetent article by an incompetent writer. All expats are sex deviates and here for only one thing.....insipid beyond belief. Go back to where you left Dan and dig a hole.....and do your research rather than putting all your apples in one barrel.

Hey you,,I'm not a "sex deviate" and i hate Thaksin, so shut your pie hole

and open your eyes...

The writer didn't mention sexual deviation at all. Nor did he refer to *all* expatriates as sexpats or addicts of one kind or another. You did.

Well I'm a teacher (6 years - university level), still enjoy the bar scene (although I'm more discerning than I used to be) have had a few Isaan girlfriends (all a lot younger than me) and love most aspects of living in Thailand. Although I'm no fan of Thaksin the man, my sympathies are certainly with the Red shirt cause.

Dude, the red shirt cause IS Thaksin. Come on man!

With respect, I agree with the Uni teacher; the basic philosophy behind the Red Shirt movement is something with which I have great sympathy, but I do not like their leadership. In the same way, I believe in equality and freedom... but I don't necessarily like the person who may be the leader of the free world at any one time. An example is Bush; I can't stand the man... but I do subscribe to many of the ideals of the Republicans.

To have compassion for the poor is not to love Thaksin... their reality is his rhetoric.

Until such time as they remove themselves and their stated cause from him completely, they are one and the same.

Edited by Buchholz

:cheesy::thumbsup:

I don't like Thaksin, but... no seriously, hear me out... elite.. coup... amart... fighter of the poor... double standards.... Abhisit the tryant... temple massacre...

You can spot 'em a mile off.

Wowsers, The French know of Sarah Palin. We were trying to keep her under wraps, our secret weapon when France invades, any ways have you ever even read a thing about Thaxsinwhistling.gif? More of a greedy businessman, than a humanist? Are you serious? My tiny little life is made of facts my lil french fellow. Check them out. Viva la Freedom Fries!cowboy.gif

Can anybody read? He was describing the stereotype farang and said it wasn't at all accurate for all of us. Actually, I think it's pretty accurate; about half of the farang here in Pattaya would fit that description!

A stereo-type in PATTAYA isn't a stereotype of expats in THAILAND.

Maybe you and Dan are confused.

Dear Dan,

I had never even heard the term sexpat until reading your article. Perhaps you need to look in your own backyard before so haphazardly throwing stones at others.

Member since 2005 and never heard of the term 'sexpat' before?

Pull the other one.

...or is it really only the Temples forum that you read?

Just let me clue you in Mr.Dan Waites. :annoyed:

This sort of stereo typing is ugly demeaning insulting and completely false.

Yes there are a handful like this but not as many as you would want us to believe in your stupid story. :redcard2:

Most of my friends are ex-military, or retired form a successful career in the petroleum business. And worked here for contractors servicing Union Oil Thailand.

We stayed for various reasons. For one our retirement pay would not go very far in our home countries. Second some of us are sic of the politics, over regulation and ignorant liberalism that allow black men to call a white man honky, a Muslim to call us filthy infidels, a mexican to call us white trash. But let one of us call one a negro, a terrorist or a wetback and we go to JAIL and get fined for discrimination. They can burn our flags but we cant burn theirs, they can burn a bible but we can not burn a koran. Just like the spell check in Microsoft bible can be in lower case but koran must be upper case. Stupid liberal crap

Regulation yea the Department of Energy demands and will fine and jail you if you do not install a toilet that saves water and the dang thing does NOT WORK. And this is in more than one country. You must have a % of mexican negro or others in your business if you employ more that 25 people. And if you run a business of call center help, answering service or the like YOU MUST HAVE SPANISH, or they shutdown your business and fine you.

Taxes nuff said on that

Teachers the ones that are good stay at it. The rest are known as backpacker teachers. They came here wanted to stay longer were not qualified but most teach or act like teachers in government schools, and when the student graduates he or she could NEVER pass any entrance exam to any university.

Bar owners, there are a larger percent that are retirees, entrapenuars and just plainly bored of the country life. Only two examples George Pipus, 40 years in the bar business, retired CIA operative now deceased. Bob, retired from IBM, owns upscale bar on soi 31, owns a five star bar & private club on Ekamai.

Thaivisa.com 80% did not take the survey. Some of us have never been to Patpong, Soi Cowboy or Nana. Some have not been there in 5,10 or 15 years. Some only go on payday to unwind. Some dont even drink.

Thaksin, I too do not want him to return, because if he does the army loses face and will certainly kill him as they did the general known as Suea Dang. I support the red shirt movement as they are the poor rural people of Thailand, proud, and have the dignified job of growing the food YOU ate for lunch. Defiant because of the class segregation they are tired of.

You gave one example Bob Sexer I give the second Dan Waites the sexpat writer so he can have a long term visa and money to support his honey's in Hua Hin beach bars.

I think what you did in your slimy story is describe your own pitiful existence

:clap2:

Edited by meelousee

Are these from the same sort of thought(?) process as GW Bush's infamous, "If you aint with us, you MUST be with them"?

Dan is crafty. By saying up front it is a stereotype (and ugly one at that...etc) he covers himself from then building one. The fact that he proffers such platitudes and camoflages it with a thin pretence that they are not really his views but a generally held view (hence stereotype) - well, res ipsa ioquitur.

In this country where stereotypes are postulated as trueisms, adding to this is hardly good journalism - of course, this will now probably be picked up translated and misquoted in the centre pages of Thai rags, so then becomes "fact".

Many use the old adage "truth hurts" - which is utter nonsense of course - otherwise we would not have liabel laws "lie's hurt", "rumour hurts" - that's why we get runs on banks, extreamist views and all those negative -isms. Truth merely is, at worst iuts embarrassing, but lies are what does the real damage - lies, that are believed, lies that are repeated often enough, lies that are taught to young and indoctrinated into culture - that is hurt. Romurs start wars, end marriages, devastate lives - undeservedly - the same can not be said of truth.

Thaksin might have abused his position somewhat and "lined his own nest" ...

BUT AT LEAST HE HELPED THE "LITTLE" THAI PEOPLE !!!

The hard-working Thai people in the villages LOVE him !!

pathetic

This has to be really one of the most asinine posts I have ever seen on this forum. Let's see: I am a farang. I detest Thaksin. Therefore, I must be not only a sexual degenerate and alcoholic, but perhaps a criminal as well. Well, I am none of these, and while not a "sexpat", since I live in America, I do like Thailand for many reasons. Women are probably number one....

Followed by if not quite an asinine response, then at least an ill thought out one.

In any country, why would you ever label your primary fascination as being the women if you were NOT a sexpat?

Oh, sorry... you're a social anthropologist after all.

People should re-read the article and actually READ what is written.

It's an ugly stereotype. Or, rather, it's several ugly stereotypes rolled into one. And it's also wildly inaccurate in the case of many expats, who are decent people living in Thailand for any number of decent reasons. But like all stereotypes, it has a basis in reality.

I think he may have touched a nerve or two..!!

In my case he is completely off the mark...

I am a student at Uni here in BKK, and I'm still young enough not to go for the bargirls... but of all the reasons that I came to Thailand he is spot-on about the number one: sex.

So what?

Don't we all ultimately support politicians for our own personal selfish reasons?

I dream of the legendary sex, drugs and rock and roll of SE Asia... One Night in Bangkok.

So, I like Abhasit because he is better looking and speaks better English.

Doesn't matter who is in power, I am still here for the sexy Thai girls, that's it!

I find your post a tad sad. The friends I have visit me here, they're really rather put off by the Thai bar scene and because of this, their perception of all Thai women is rather jaundiced. They're all young, well educated and attractive.

I'm supposing you're not?

Edited by krangeek

It's an ugly stereotype. Or, rather, it's several ugly stereotypes rolled into one. And it's also wildly inaccurate in the case of many expats, who are decent people living in Thailand for any number of decent reasons. But like all stereotypes, it has a basis in reality. There are people like those I've described above living in this country. In fact, there are lots. And interestingly, most of the worst seem to hate Thaksin Shinawatra.

He's right. I did my six months of partying here I have been the stereotype a few times and i've seen a lot worse. I came late to the conclusion that it is partly a supply and demand issue so at least in my case I stopped supporting the demand. In the few conversations i've had with girls where they were willing to express an opinion (tell me what opinion do you want me to have ?) they have all quietly said they support Thaksin because they felt he could give them a better life. It may be hypocritical of me since i've used the services but I know change is needed. It would appear however that everytime real change is attempted here the military steps in and shuts it down.That is not democracy.

Of course Thaksin was corrupt. Its probably impossible at this point in Thailand to hold any kind of power without some level of corruption. The same was true a hundred years ago in the USA. The question is who is the best person to give the majority of the population education and choices.

As a side question does anyone here really believe a 22 year old girl wants to sleep with a 50 year old man ? See what has happened in Singapore as wealth and education have increased over 20 years The age gap in couples has decreased dramatically as has the availability of girls willing to sleep casually with older white men. The Sarong Party Girl has all but disappeared.

When I meet middle-aged or older men working as Kindergarten teachers :whistling: my 'sexpat' siren goes off, especially when they try to convince me that they are serious about their work here.

I will say this though: even the 20 year olds are here for the sex party... that's just the way it is.:blink:

Like the case of the pot calling the kettle black... even though the pot is black too (pot of colour), the kettle IS black.:jap:

Us younger guys call the steriotypical overweight old loser a sexpat, and we may be here for essentially the same reason... but no-one likes to freely admit the sexual pull factor of Thailand in their decission to come here.:unsure:

I have spent about 1/4 of my adult life in BKK, and yet I have had about 3/4 of my total girlfriends here.B) And if you think my style doesn't fall into the category of sexually deviant, think again! What is normal sexual practice here in LOS, is definately considered 'kinky' in my home country.:o

Maybe a bit of a "cliché" but so true...

So many sexpats are just Mobi Dicks!

Those don't even like the thai food, don't respect the people, just want to be there for fresh meat and american breakfast and a lot of beer!

I will be living in south east asia starting next october but as a perpetual traveler, and yes, even I'm just over 40, I admit I have tastier opportunity to mix myself there than here in $witzerland! (I am not a bargirl customer at all!)

Girls are nice, yes, but they all think a farang can support them and pay for everything...

I had two true girlfriends who had respectable works, and I want to believe they loved me and not only my money, but still, I think most girls just abuse of their charms for lazy-easy-(dirty?)-money!

They are like karaoke-jukebox, they sweetly sing for you,but only as long as you put the coins!

But girls are not my reason to leave the cold chocolate country, I will move for an easier way of life, cheaper costs, smiling people, warm climat, delicious food and probably also buddhist thinking...

I would vote Thaksin as from the little I could learn during my frequent trips to the land of smile (and following news here and on lepetitjournal.com, he did develop the whole country, not only offer priviledges to the BKK's elite, he had a well balanced way to offer freedom and restrict abuses.

Abhisit and the other rulers since "the coup" of 2006 seem tome to have restricted many freedoms, and abused of their power, refrained people's voice with guns...

Economy has gone down, and I don't believe it would have been as bad if Thaskin had been the "vessel's captain" to navigate thru the world's economic crisis.

Sure I might be wrong on everything too!

Long Life The King anyway!

...and Thank You to thaivisa to deliver my dayly news

All ?

My wife certainly doesn't and nor do any of her or my friends.

Hey Dan you been spying on me how you know I do Thai Visas Forum and I whine a lot, you want to come for a drink ? I like to drunk too much for me or you, yes I am liking go to bed with brown bunny you have a problem this, how I can buy a beer bar fat head I no money what you problem you must be ex pat, bugger off.

I particularly enjoyed this little gem from this otherwise spectacularly pisspoor article.

'Perhaps, dreaming of the license for debauchery issued only to artists, he becomes a "writer", imagining himself a Bukowski or a Hunter S thompson.'

HaHa. Oh dear Mr Waites, irony is obviously not one of your strong points is it?

People should re-read the article and actually READ what is written.

It's an ugly stereotype. Or, rather, it's several ugly stereotypes rolled into one. And it's also wildly inaccurate in the case of many expats, who are decent people living in Thailand for any number of decent reasons. But like all stereotypes, it has a basis in reality.

I think he may have touched a nerve or two..!!

In my case he is completely off the mark...

I am a student at Uni here in BKK, and I'm still young enough not to go for the bargirls... but of all the reasons that I came to Thailand he is spot-on about the number one: sex.

So what?

Don't we all ultimately support politicians for our own personal selfish reasons?

I dream of the legendary sex, drugs and rock and roll of SE Asia... One Night in Bangkok.

So, I like Abhasit because he is better looking and speaks better English.

Doesn't matter who is in power, I am still here for the sexy Thai girls, that's it!

I find your post a tad sad. The friends I have visit me here, they're really rather put off by the Thai bar scene. They're all young, well educated and attractive.

I'm supposing you're not?

Well, I don't know who goes around calling themselves educated and attractive, certainly not me myself.:annoyed:

I don't go to the Go-go bars, I go to 'normal' places, and I don't pay for sex directly... but I did come for the sex, and I know many professional models in Bangkok who will tell you the same thing. This is a center for sex... be that between old fat dudes and youngsters, or good looking models... people flock here for sex mate.

I'm going to differ from the crying and teeth gnashing by saying he hit the nail right on the head. His observations about the Thailand expat "community" and the general views of Thaksin have been mentioned a lot already. I still think the over the top expat grudge has more to do with beer curfew hours and bar hours. I remember when that was first proposed expats went berserk on here threatening everything from leaving (which none did) to hilarious plans for protest and boycotts (which also never happened.)

There's no reason to hate Thaksin that much. He's no worse than the current crop of chuckleheads in government and probably a great deal better in many aspects especially concerning business competency.

Agreed, Thaksin forced the average sexpat to read a newspaper, learn about visa-running, get a local bank account and ultimately research the greater attractions of whatever 'Snookyville' is.

All of a sudden it wasn't just endless days crammed full of beer, skittles and shagging fueled by Singha beer, khaopat alai goddai and Em Loy Hahsip.

Sh!t, those times were good though!

So this Andrew Drummond wanabie I want to be a journalist hopeful has taken delight at stereotyping all ex-pats by using some vague deliberately misinterpreted examples taken from a few postings by a tiny minority of Thai visa members to prove a point which has no basis on fact whatsoever

This idiot’s comments are completely unfounded. The I have no hope of becoming a journalist but will try to get in the back door by being outrageous of this fool is obvious and extremely offensive and could actually be described as legally defamatory and liable to prosecution in a court of law. So beware or any liable suits, there maybe some coming your way soon.

I have no idea whether this fool writes articles full time or part time. But if this is his part time profession or hobby? Then my advice is; don’t give up your day job because you’ll not going to last long.

Perhaps he should call himself, Dan Dare rather than Dan Waites to acquire a wider audience for his fiction.