IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigns amid alleged sexual assault

News_Editor

IMF boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigns amid alleged sexual assault

2011-05-19 12:05:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) on Thursday said its managing director Dominique Strauss-Kahn has submitted his resignation amid allegations of sexual assault.

Strauss-Kahn, 62, has been IMF's managing director since November 2007 and previously served as France's Finance and Economy Minister between June 1997 and November 1999. He was also seen as a possible presidential candidate in next year's presidential elections in France.

According to the allegations, Strauss-Kahn forced a 32-year-old hotel maid at the Sofitel New York Hotel to perform oral sex on him twice before engaging in anal sexual conduct with her. He also grabbed the victim's breasts and vaginal area.

The previously powerful politician is facing seven charges, including two counts of Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree and one count of Sexual Abuse in the First Degree. He currently remains at the Rikers Island jail complex in New York City

In a statement, the IMF on Thursday said Strauss-Kahn has informed the executive board through a letter of his intention to resign as managing director with immediate effect.

"It is with infinite sadness that I feel compelled today to present to the Executive Board my resignation from my post of Managing Director of the IMF," Strauss-Kahn said. "I think at this time first of my wife - whom I love more than anything - of my children, of my family, of my friends."

"To all, I want to say that I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me," Strauss-Kahn said in the letter. "I want to protect this institution which I have served with honor and devotion, and especially - especially - I want to devote all my strength, all my time, and all my energy to proving my innocence."

Earlier this week, the IMF appointed John Lipsky as Acting Managing Director. Thursday's statement said Lipsky will remain in the position while IMF's Executive Board selects a permanent replacement.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-19

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strauss-Kahn resigns

By The Nation

30155694-01.jpg

International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn tendered his resignation today with immediate effect, following the sexual assault which led to his arrest last weekend in New York.

Here is the excerpt from his formal letter of resignation submitted to the executive board:

"It is with infinite sadness that I feel compelled today to present to the Executive Board my resignation from my post of Managing Director of the IMF.

"I think at this time first of my wife—whom I love more than anything—of my children, of my family, of my friends.

"I think also of my colleagues at the Fund; together we have accomplished such great things over the last three years and more.

"To all, I want to say that I deny with the greatest possible firmness all of the allegations that have been made against me.

"I want to protect this institution which I have served with honor and devotion, and especially—especially—I want to devote all my strength, all my time, and all my energy to proving my innocence."

In a statement issued by the IMF, the fund will communicate in the near future on the Executive Board's process of selecting a new Managing Director. Meanwhile, John Lipsky remains Acting Managing Director.

There is a growing call from emerging economies, particularly China, that the new managing director should be elected on a new method that better reflects members' economic status in the global arena.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-19

Stick a fork in him. It is amazing how quickly it went from completely innocent, impossible time-line for the attack to consensual (She asked for it) sex! Trot out the Kobe Bryant defense.

"All the political and media circles rustled with rumors relaying not only of Strauss-Kahn's behavior of--how to say--chronic seducer, but of harasser," Le Pen told RMC radio Thursday. "A certain number of his political opponents knew that this quasi-pathological behavior could go to their advantage in the presidential campaign."

I just don't understand why he couldn't pay someone to pretend to be a maid and then "rape" her to satisfy his needs? Maybe he needed to do the real thing to get off? And she was probably screaming many things during the attack, including "I have HIV", but maybe he didn't hear, or thought it was a ploy to avoid the attack?

I wonder which act will turn out to be the worst one?

The perp walk by the NYPD, or the French press releasing the alleged victim's name and personal details.

Or door #3 John Lipsky

Deputy who now takes over the reigns of the IMF during a critical time

Would have been nice if he was not an American.......just saying

Just got off the phone with my good friend in France. He says the nation is abuzz with this. People can't believe it, and are ashamed. A tragedy for the French for sure. Sad to see such a (supposedly) smart guy get into this situation. Crazy.

bail granted, out today.

With a personal cost to him of $200k per month in an apartment in NYC along with monitoring, reporting, etc..

so what? the Mrs inherited several hundred million dollars. besides... never trust figures journàsslists shoot from the hip.

There is story in Guinea News about chambermaid with very nice picture of her;quite a girl!

I think,she will get part in movie,which will follow soon,as well as marriage offers(for virtue and beauty).

You want to see her? google: Nafissatou Diallo

The perp walk by the NYPD, or the French press releasing the alleged victim's name and personal details.

Or door #3 John Lipsky

I thought Lipsky was appointed in an interim capacity only.

I have read Christine Lagarde from France is one of the leading candidates.

The Euros are yelling their heads off to get another European in the position.

There is story in Guinea News about chambermaid with very nice picture of her;quite a girl!

I think,she will get part in movie,which will follow soon,as well as marriage offers(for virtue and beauty).

You want to see her? google: Nafissatou Diallo

Wow! Cute for sure.

Or door #3 John Lipsky

I thought Lipsky was appointed in an interim capacity only.

I have read Christine Lagarde from France is one of the leading candidates.

The Euros are yelling their heads off to get another European in the position.

It will be interesting to see if an emerging nation gets a shot at this.

Releasing the alleged victim's name and personal details. :annoyed:

And what about the alleged culprit, his full name and personal details? innocent, because not convicted yet.

Wasn't the victims brother who spoke with the French press?

And what about the alleged culprit, his full name and personal details? innocent, because not convicted yet.

Presumably, people aren't typically arrested -- especially wealthy and powerful people -- without a significant amount of evidence. He was arrested for a crime with probable cause for that arrest. He is indeed innocent until proven guilty but there was/is no practical way to keep an arrested person's identity secret -- all suspects potentially have to face, unfortunately, those same repercussions in terms of publicity -- guilty or not. A prominent person has to an even greater fallout from that. What to do? Not arrest prominent people?

There is as of yet no evidence of any wrongdoing by the victim. It is ridiculous to suggest she deserves to be outed just because he was.

Under U.S. Law the identity details of persons arrested and charged with a crime are not confidential unless the person is a minor.

And find some reason to bitch about the French is a duty for every American internet citizen.

Edited by samurai

Presumably, people aren't typically arrested -- especially wealthy and powerful people -- without a significant amount of evidence. He was arrested for a crime with probable cause for that arrest. He is indeed innocent until proven guilty but there was/is no practical way to keep an arrested person's identity secret -- all suspects potentially have to face, unfortunately, those same repercussions in terms of publicity -- guilty or not. A prominent person has to an even greater fallout from that. What to do? Not arrest prominent people?

There is as of yet no evidence of any wrongdoing by the victim. It is ridiculous to suggest she deserves to be outed just because he was.

It is a question what the press made out of it.

The culture at the IMF seems to have been in line with their leader.

At IMF, Men on Prowl and Women on Guard

Published: Friday, 20 May 2011 | 8:22 AM ET

By: Binyamin Appelbaum and Sheryl Gay Stolberg

The New York Times

It is an international island in the midst of the American capital, a sharp-elbowed place ruled by alpha male economists. The days are long, and employees are regularly pressed together for weeks on end during overseas “missions.” It is a climate in which romances often flourish — and lines are sometimes crossed.

Some women avoid wearing skirts for fear of attracting unwanted attention.

Read more here... http://www.cnbc.com/id/43106893

Edited by Scott
Edited to comply with fair use policy

Under U.S. Law the identity details of persons arrested and charged with a crime are not confidential unless the person is a minor.

And find some reason to bitch about the French is a duty for every American internet citizen.

From what I have seen in the French press, the feeling is mutual...unfortunately.

Different countries have different laws. I think we can leave it at that. If you don't like the laws in a country, best not to break them.

In this situation, let's just imagine that they protect the identity of the alleged perpetrator. I can just imagine the speculation about what the American's did with Mr. Strauss-Kahn. He just simply doesn't show up for some very important meetings.

If the French can legally divulge information about the alleged victim, then they are well within their right to do so.

So the accuser is allowed to skulk in anonymity whilst the accused s expected to face accusations in public? If you're going to accuse someone of criminal behaviour you surely have to stand up in public while you're doing it.

Edited by endure

"Skulk" in anonymity? I think that you could have chosen a better phrase for a women who has reported being violently raped. :blink:

I have to defer to Scott on this.

Different countries have different laws. I think we can leave it at that. If you don't like the laws in a country, best not to break them.

"Skulk" in anonymity? I think that you could have chosen a better phrase for a women who has reported being violently raped. :blink:

I have to defer to Scott on this.

A woman who has been 'reported as being violently raped'. What does that mean? Who did the reporting? Is the woman willing to stand up in court and accuse her alleged rapist?

Justice involves both the accuser and the accused. If she's not willing to accuse her rapist in public then there's there's no case to answer.