Need Some Translation Please

wilson7561681

I am wanting to get a tattoo in Thailand while I am here. I am currently on ko phi phi. I had a guy translate the phrase "Free Spirit" meaning like a person that is free to do what they want and explore the world. I have a picture of his 2 translations of the phrase, but i wanted to double check it with a couple people before I get it tattooed on my body. Just for the people that are going to comment. yes i understand tattoos are forever, and yes I have thought about it and am getting one. Thank you for all of your help everyone :)

post-124165-0-29439000-1305820993_thumb.

Neither says "spirit". Both say "independent belief (system)". I don't think any Thai person would get the idea of "free spirit" from the words used in either example. I'm far from confident that there is any concise way to express this idea in Thai. Maybe some of our "chao khong phasa" (owners of the language, i.e., native speakers) will contribute.

One possible idea is เลื่อนลอย which means to drift. Another might be ตามใจผม "up to me"

The problem with ยิตอิสระ is that it means independent spirit or heart. Free spirit doesn't mean, in my opinion, independent, as much as it means whimsical, uncaring for social norms. Here is Dictionary.com's definition: "–nouna person with a highly individual or unique attitude, lifestyle, orimagination; nonconformist.

จิตอิสระ is certainly superior to what the tatooist suggested, but I don't think it conveys the full idea.

How about เหล้าฟรี

whistling.gif

:lol:

I get the slight impression that one would not accurately describe the OP

Actually OP, are you not worried about being branded with the term "free"?

Especially to be advertised in Thai....It might arouse some confusion in certain company :whistling:

how about ฟรี วิลลี่

:sorry:

seriously though, maybe someone could tell you if one of these makes any sense as a tattoo:

ตามอำเภอใจ

อำเภอใจ

Sounds something like "am pher jai" and as far as i know it means having the freedom to do things your own way without being dictated by others

I would not use ตามอำเภอใจ for a tattoo, it has a negative connotation, it describes a bad behavior of an inconsiderate person who does whatever he/she please without regard to others, in other word a description of an "arseho_e" :o

Edited by a51mas

But the reason it has a negative connotation is that the concept of being a free spirit is antithetical to Thai cultural values. So, if you really want to express this idea accurately, how are you going to do it without it sounding negative in Thai???? A literal translation จิตเสรี, for example, isn't negative. But it doesn't get the idea of free spirit across either.

free to do what they want = เรื่องของกู or to be a little bit more polite เรื่องของฉัน

ทำอะไรตามใจฉันเอง is another alternative. meaining I'll do whatever I want. not so negative, a bit more to 'don't care what other people think or say, I'll do it my way.

With the 'explore the world' will need another phrase to convey that idea.

There is an awesome new translation website that really does fantastic idiomatic translation. Give it a try, it's at

http://www.ortsbo.com/

This application has the potential to become, worldwide, as widespread in use as Facebook and Twitter and all that stuff. It allows people to communicate , idiomatically, with people in their own languages.

If the original poster is still following this, it occurs to me (after days of circling around somewhere in my head) that the best compromise translation is สบาย สบาย If you consider the matter, there are three alternatives. First, a literal translation of free spirit จิตอิสระ but that does not communicate the idea of free spirit in English at all. Second, ตามอำเภอใจ which gets part of the meaning in English, specifically a person who does what they please. The problem here is that it has a very negative connotation in Thai as an earlier native speaker correctly noted. This is because it goes against the very heart of Buddhist principles of controlling ones own heart being the very starting place for spiritual progress. Third, is สบาย สบาย This gets at a different aspect of the English expression. It means a person who takes it easy, who is not disturbed or perturbed by life's little exigencies. It has, I think, a quite positive connotation in Thai.

If the original poster is still following this, it occurs to me (after days of circling around somewhere in my head) that the best compromise translation is สบาย สบาย If you consider the matter, there are three alternatives. First, a literal translation of free spirit จิตอิสระ but that does not communicate the idea of free spirit in English at all. Second, ตามอำเภอใจ which gets part of the meaning in English, specifically a person who does what they please. The problem here is that it has a very negative connotation in Thai as an earlier native speaker correctly noted. This is because it goes against the very heart of Buddhist principles of controlling ones own heart being the very starting place for spiritual progress. Third, is สบาย สบาย This gets at a different aspect of the English expression. It means a person who takes it easy, who is not disturbed or perturbed by life's little exigencies. It has, I think, a quite positive connotation in Thai.

I don't think สบาย สบาย gets anywhere close to "free spirit". Comfortable, easy going, tranquil, but not "free spirit". Free spirit means someone who is independent and uninhibited, right?

ผู้เป็นอิสระ gets my vote.

Although I don't see the attraction of getting a tattoo in a language that I can't read.

• 3 weeks later...