Tool Rental In Chiang Rai-Why Not?

kandahar

One of these days, someone is going to open a decent tool and machine rental shop in Chiang Rai and they are going to do really, really well. Initially, it would take some getting used to. But as people realize more and more that a few baht spent on a tool rental will speed a job and save some baht, they will gradually come to rely on that shop. If delivery of the tools/implements/machines is offered, it will be more successful. Often, for certain projects, it just makes a lot more sense to rent.

Drain snakes, sewer rooters, powered and not.

Chain saws

Concrete saws

Hammer drills

Air compressors, wheeled and diesel powered

Jack-hammers

Generators

Pallet Lift Jacks

Power lift scaffolds

Walk behind trencher

Drill press

Table saw

Rider operated trencher

Extension ladders

Power concrete trowel/finisher

Transit lever, laser and old style

Diesel powered light sets

Concrete mixers

Battery powered drills

Large electric drills

Magnetic base drills

shop style vacuums, wet and dry

large and small sump pumps, electric and gas powered

Back-hoe

Track-hoe

Sprayer

Rotating searchlight/spotlights

Man-lift bucket

Small tractor with front end loader and bush cutter

Garden tiller

and on and on and on.

An economy as small as this one is ripe for providing rentals of items that people cannot otherwise afford to buy. Every economy is ripe for a business that provides rentals items for one-off uses. Every economy has the do-it-yourselfers who would rather rent the equipment and do the job the way they want it done rather than hire it done. And sure, things are going to get beat up and abused by some. Part of the business. Good, quick, smart repairmen on premises and a damage deposit from customers will counter that. Everything on hand doesn't need to be purchased new. Secondhand tools and machines are just as good as new if maintained correctly by the staff. It wouldn't cost so much to get into the business with a small inventory of the most needed items and just keep adding inventory as business improves.

One day, a decent rental place will open here. I would certainly be a customer before it was over with. I think the place wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. Chiang Rai supports a HUGE population in the surrounding area.

Before we see the train come to CR, I would rather see a good tool rental shop. And a Pulse-Doppler radar at our airport that is accessible to us on the Internet.

Well Good Morning Kd. I take it you weren't Raptured today then ;-)

One of these days someones going to put some money into one of your ideas .

I can imagine some serious headaches with maintenance though.

Infact I had a positive mental attitude this morning but now I can just see all those beautiful Tools in the hands of the General population being abused to within an inch of there service life :(

Especially the Chainsaw ;)

Rentals and borrowed items of every kind are abused all over the world. Human nature, not a Thai thing. Rental shops all over the world are making a lot of money, even after repair fees. Repair fees for tools are pretty ch here. I have had to replace rotors, arbors and other items here that are replaced within an hour of me delivering them to the shop. In the old country, I would be told one of two things- Can't be repaired or it has to be sent back to the factory. These little repair dudes in these shops work cheap and some of them really know their stuff. And every tool rental shop that I have ever rented from requires a deposit that will cover normal repairs from abuse. If you tear it up out of ignorance, you pay to fix it.

I see Thai guys in this neighborhood and even in my own yard using chainsaws from time to time. The saws are ancient. Haven't seen a nice new one yet. Makes me wonder if it is that old and had been rented out all of its life, how many hundreds of times it would have paid for itself, even after repairs. Thais will be the majority of the customers when the thing finally gets here. There aren't enough Farang here to make a difference in such a business.

Sooner or later, it will be done. I am sure that before it is done, lots and lots of people will have invested in building more guest houses that don't even meet monthly expenses, let alone pay for themselves and start offering a return. Lots and lots of people will have invested in that new noodle shop that closes quickly or that clothing shop that ends up losing all of its stock to the original supplier. I know a dude here who built a guest house outside of town years ago and the last time we spoke ( a year ago), he said he has yet to have his first customer.

The rental shop isn't my idea. It is an idea of someone else from years ago. They have done well in other places I have lived and it seems that the harder the times get, the more they prosper. So many people can't see buying a one or two time use item in good times and cannot even afford to buy it in bad times. This place (Chiang Rai) is a rental man's dream come true. If the "Three Brothers" tool shop near the old bus station went into this rental business, they would only succeed more than they have already as sellers. And of course, if a construction company added a tool rental shop to their line, it would make their tool and machinery buying a lot more profitable.

There really are lots of good ideas for successful businesses here. I always find it odd that people prefer to invest in something that the market is already saturated with.

There really are lots of good ideas for successful businesses here. I always find it odd that people prefer to invest in something that the market is already saturated with.

Most people here start businesses with a dream not a solid business plan. :jap: .