Exepensive Fares From Thailand To Europe

prefabs

A few years ago it seemed to be the other way round so i started buying my tickets here...the only possible explanation i can think of is the exchange rate and for some reason the fares haven't been adjusted accordingly

sign of the times for sure. Before it was cheaper from here to the EU and now, since a couple of years, the opposite happens > people in Thailand having money can pay anything anyway...

A difference for sure to the US, but not a huge one, means the US is much more expensive than the EU...ticketwise

Mainly , the exchange rate. The Baht is still very strong, has not depreciated, while all European and the U.S. currencies have basically collapsed.It has had a dramatic impact on those people living on pensions from the E.U. countries. They have lost a very substantial amount per pension payment.

I just did a Price check on the BA Website London-Bangkok Return THB55k Bangkok-London Return THB49K its all about availability & Fuel Prices as much as anything there was much higher demand for flights leaving Bangkok for Europe than the other way around In Thailand the schools have just gone back after their main Summer Holiday whereas in Europe people are planning their Summer getaway

I just did a Price check on the BA Website London-Bangkok Return THB55k Bangkok-London Return THB49K its all about availability & Fuel Prices as much as anything there was much higher demand for flights leaving Bangkok for Europe than the other way around In Thailand the schools have just gone back after their main Summer Holiday whereas in Europe people are planning their Summer getaway

.I go back and forth to the Uk on a three month cycle and have aways bought my ticket in Thailand. This time I have bought a return ticket in the "Uk", Glasgow to Bangkok for £730.00 with Emirates. My travel agent in BKK told me that he could get me the same ticket for 43,800 Baht. (At the rate I looked at it was £903.). He told me I could put the money into his "Uk" account. I opted to pay on line and saved myself nearly £200. I can't understand why flights from Thailand are so expensive

Most people are travelling Europe- Engalnd, Bangkok and return. A small number travel the other way. So they can charge you more. And why would they adjust their fares for the decline of the euro, pound, or dollar, bar girls donot. If you are going back in a year buy a one year open ticket return useable anytime in one year.

I am not a bloody pom , so I cannot give you exact figures, But as I said in my previous post The Thai Baht is very strong. The Pound and the Euro are very weak. If I remember correctly ,and I am not saying i do ,but The Pound was in the 70's to the Baht . Now, it is in the high 40's.Quite a drop? Also all oil products are up a lot in the last few of months or so. Put the two together ,and the only surprise is that air tickets are not more expensive to buy in Thailand.

There is approx. 50,000 baht difference on a business class ticket BKK - LHR versus LHR - BKK. When I queried this at the Thai Air office I was cheerfully told that it is because they have more competition from the London end.

I shall fly Emirates; cheaper than TG, newer aircraft and I can stop off in Dubai to shop for a new PC, some clothes etc. to save more money.

Mainly , the exchange rate. The Baht is still very strong, has not depreciated, while all European and the U.S. currencies have basically collapsed.It has had a dramatic impact on those people living on pensions from the E.U. countries. They have lost a very substantial amount per pension payment.

If the exchange rate is the reason then how come fares to Australia are also much more expensive the past couple of years?

It is of course impossible to exactly compare BKK-LHR-BKK and LHR-BKK-LHR for obvious reasons; you can't return before you arrive. ;)

But currently, and generally speaking, comparing relatively near-in travel dates, attempting to meet APEX and stay requirements and factoring in currency issues, ex-LON is 15% cheaper than ex--BKK on the least expensive one-stops, and 25% less expensive on the non-stops (BA, QF, TG). International city-pair pricing can, and does, vary by direction owing to supply/demand and competitive factors, as some have posited. It does not vary by headwind, costs (CASM), exchange rates, seasonal cargo or the Earth's rotational direction, as some of the less-sharp TV 'tools' have put forth. :D

For those who travel frequently/often between LON and BKK, say with short stays,say up a fortnight, in the U.K. and longer stays in Thailand, say up to 120 days, then it may be more cost-effective to string together LHR-BKK-LHR tickets; LHR to BKK, stay 120 days, return to LHR stay 14 days, start a new LHR-BKK-LHR, rinse/repeat.

Edited by lomatopo

If the exchange rate is the reason then how come fares to Australia are also much more expensive the past couple of years?

Because they have not been rectified since the Aussie $ was at only 22 Baht.....cons getting conned