Condo, Apartment Or House?

xandreu

Hi All...

I'm moving to the beautiful city of Chiang Mai in a couple of months and just can't decide what I want to live in. I have a budget of about 10,000B per month (12,000B at a push) and assumed that I would find a nice 1/2 bed condo for that.

Recently however, I've been looking on the net at some of the beautiful little houses just outside of the city which it seems would also fit within my budget. As far as I can tell, the only downsides to living in one of these would be location and security. I'm a keen cyclist here in the UK, have been most of my life, and plan on getting a bicycle when I move to CM, so anything up to 10KM or so outside of the city wouldn't really be a problem for me. In fact, I see it as an advantage.

The only other thing which concerns me a little is security. It's a no brainer that condo's offer much better security, but just how 'risky' would it be to live in a house on the outskirts anyway? I do a lot online, and I would have a fair amount of expensive equipment in the house which I couldn't live without. If I lived in a house on the outskirts, would I be worried every time I left the house that my stuff would not be there when I got back? What about some sort of gated community? Would a small 1/2 bed house in one of these fit within my budget? Can anyone recommend any of these?

My other concern is internet access, which is essential to me. Is internet access in CM really as unreliable as I've read? I've seen that most condo's offer wi-fi, but how is this usually delivered? Do you share a connection with other people on your floor/in the building or do you get your own dedicated line? If you share a connection, all it takes is for someone else to be downloading large files 24 hours a day and you're stuffed! Also what sort of speeds can you expect in CM? Here in UK I pay for a 16MB connection and usually get speeds of about 8-9MB, which suits me. How far away from those figures would my connection in CM differ from that?

So, any suggestions on where to live? What do you live in? What are the pro's and con's of it?

I've been living in houses out of town for 2 years now and have never been worried about theft. I guess whether you worry or not depends on your personality, but I don't think there's any more reason to worry here than in your own country.

For 10-12k/month, you'd be able to afford a place in a security gated compound with a swimming pool. A friend of mine had a 2 bedroom place in Palm Springs, about 5km out of town for 11k/month, excellent (verging on annoying) security (they wouldn't let me past until he came to the gate to greet me the first 10 or so times I went, finally they started to recognise me).

Hi.

Seems like you should check out smith residence.

No way anybody would break into your room, internet is pretty good (when I download I usually get more than 100 kbps and surfing is always easy), and it definitely fits your budget ..

I have been here for a year now and I'm very pleased :-)

You can read much more detailed appraises in trip advisor...

I wrote one good comment there myself and I saw that there were many of them and everything worth knowing was already written before I came.

PM if you still have questions :-)

I have been going down the same road for the last few months, as you are now.

Seems to me that we have lots of things in common in terms of living situation criteria and the internet requirement, also regarding the amount of internet and computer related tech stuff that we would have and be using daily.

The only difference I see is that I do have a cat, and you do not, which makes your living a lot easier and finding a suitable home will also be a lot easier for you than me because of that.

Anyway, the moral of the story :

Please check out the 3 topics that I had started a few months ago, since I believe there are lots of very useful responses that I have got over time from a lot of very generous, kind and well-informed forum members, people who actually do live in Chiang Mai, and I think you can find some answers very relevant and useful pertaining to your situation as well.

The other point you mentioned about the security level in terms of theft, if living in a house, is interesting, and it is something that I took for granted, believing that Chiang Mai is a safe place, however, I will be keeping up with your topic and the postings so I can also be better informed on this issue.

I am sure you know how to find my forum topics...look up my profile, then click on my topics.

I wish you all the best,

perhaps we could also be friends once we both do move to Chiang Mai if we can find common interests and work/hobby-related home computer and internet stuff....

Peace ...

I have lived in two houses outside of the town centre.

First was on a 'farang' gated community, 7000bht a month (3 bed, 2 aircon), awful place (place nice, people awful) full of elderly white men with ex-Pattaya type wives, many still working on the sly.

But OK if you speak no Thai, so you don't understand what the women are talking about, it was usually money, gambling and whoring. I couldn't cope with being friends with the white guys and knowing what their wives were saying and doing, and having to keep my mouth shut.

Never any security issues or theft, just the fighting between the women was herd to take, and plenty of barking dogs. Internet was extremely poor, slow and off for weeks at a time (1 MB ToT, 630bht/month).

Now I am in an open Thai estate, 5000bht a month (2 bed, fans), the only worries are barking dogs, which I now sleep through.

Never any security issues, plenty of older Thai ladies about all the time, they know who should be where, far better than security guards. Internet is the best I have ever had (7MB 3BB, 630bht/month) anywhere in the world.

I wouldn't worry about security in CM, IMHO foreigners are more likely to steal from you than Thais.

PS

I have a cat too. Kept it in the first day I moved, no problems, it has made many friends that sit in the garden with it.

PPS

Torrent speeds, depends where the seeders are, if in Asia full speed, if western world not so fast.

Yesterday morning I went out after setting 4 movies to download , about 5GB, finished before I came home in the afternoon. Night before I downloaded the HD version of TV series, 15GB, finished before I got up (along with another movie or two)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I bought up the security issue was because while looking around the net, I'd read several times that the main advantage of living in a condo was the extra security. I assumed that this implied that not living in a condo was somehow less secure, but that doesn't seem the case. Not around Chiang Mai anyway. I get the feeling that what people mean by that just comes down to if you regularly bring 'guests' back to your condo, there is someone there to check and keep hold of their ID cards for you.

As for internet speeds, well, the more I research, the more confused I get. It seems to be a bit hit and miss. Would I be right in thinking that if you live in a condo, you're pretty much at the mercy of the ISP for the building, but if you live somewhere with your own dedicated line, you'd be free to pick and choose your own ISP? I read somewhere that you can get a super-duper fast connection (100MB/s) if you live within a certain area, but I lost the page where I read that. If anyone has any info on that I'd be grateful...

As with a lot of things, it looks like you can only do so much on the net. Guess I'll have to wait till I get there and have a good look around in real life before deciding where to live.

Cheers :)

The speed of your ISP depends on where you are and when they installed their equipment.

Very rarely a choice, often only one provider in an area.

My mooban only had internet available last year, so we have the latest equipment at the end of the road.

You want good internet, choose where you live carefully.

Bringing guests back to your home/condo.

DON't DO IT!

You rent a room for the night 250-400bht, no fear of theft or unwanted return visits.

NEVER let them know where you live!

Edited by sarahsbloke

Would I be right in thinking that if you live in a condo, you're pretty much at the mercy of the ISP for the building, but if you live somewhere with your own dedicated line, you'd be free to pick and choose your own ISP? I read somewhere that you can get a super-duper fast connection (100MB/s) if you live within a certain area, but I lost the page where I read that. If anyone has any info on that I'd be grateful...

In my condo building, if I do not want to subscribe to the wireless network that is provided, then I use my USB air stick. There are a variety of diferent packages available - details available online or in mobile phone shops.

Edited by Contractor

Bringing guests back to your home/condo.

DON't DO IT!

You rent a room for the night 250-400bht, no fear of theft or unwanted return visits.

NEVER let them know where you live!

Good advice! Yet another example of the difference between being a tourist and a resident. I've never really worried about it as a tourist as I wasn't hanging around for long anyway, but I guess living somewhere on a permanent basis is a whole different ball game..

In my condo building, if I do not want to subscribe to the wireless network that is provided, then I use my USB air stick. There are a variety of diferent packages available - details available online or in mobile phone shops.

Do you mean those sticks/dongle's which pick up 3G?

That's right, you have your choice of internet providers when you rent in a condo. You can go with the building's provider, have "high-speed" internet over a phone line or go with AIS 3G dongle service. The ISPs know there are many potential customers in the larger condos, so they provide good service to those buildings, one way or another. I've said this before, anyone we know who makes their living from the internet has more than one ISP. This was true in the U.S., as well.

One of the benefits of a condo building is that they do hold and record the IDs of Thai "visitors" to protect residents stupid enough to bring one-time guests to their room.

Starting out with a rental unit in a condo would be a good path, since you'll have some support system available, like building security staff and fellow English-speaking residents to give you the inside scoop.

One of the benefits of a condo building is that they do hold and record the IDs of Thai "visitors" to protect residents stupid enough to bring one-time guests to their room.

Sorry to disagree Nancy, but I have never stayed in a hotel or condo in Chiang Mai that did that.

I am assuming that my and my friends experience of such ventures exceeds yours.

(Bangkok and Pattaya, yes, Chiang Mai and Chang Rai, no)

Well, they did that when we lived at Nakorn Ping condo, to our dear, sweet, but young Thai language teacher when she came to my home for private lessons. She was amused that anyone would think she is that kind of girl.

I think the security issue is a non issue as well (I've heard of a few robberies in both condos and houses, but only rarely - it depends on the locale/building and having a good padlock....)

I think the main issues you'll find are what kind of lifestyle you want to maintain. You may tire of the traffic and the limited number of dining options if you live outside of town. Cycling to and from town may not be something you want to do a lot considering the traffic, but being on the outskirts will make cycling to Mae Rim or other popular cycling spots easier. Also, the barking dogs will be an issue as well outside of town.

You'd probably be best to rent an apt. short term when you first arrive and see how you like the different areas and where you want to eat, shop, find entertainment, etc. You might even decide on renting both an apt and a house (I did that for a while to avoid the daily commute - and did it for well under your budget).