Conficated Bike

Insurance is invalid on a non registered bike.

of course it is

and since it is not road legal, using a non road legal vehicle you are automaticly at fault involved in an accident, releases major bail claims, not the ordinary 200.000 baht

Not correct.

I had an accident with an imported bike just weeks after I received it,registration was in progress but still 8 months away it would show out.Some car crashed into the rear of my bike.Insurance payed for the damage,about 18000 Baht,within a week.Police was involved.

You are not automatically in fault with a non road legal vehicle,same as an underage non-license holder is not automatically in fault.In the western world yes,in Thailand there are different laws.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it is

and since it is not road legal, using a non road legal vehicle you are automaticly at fault involved in an accident, releases major bail claims, not the ordinary 200.000 baht

Not correct.

I had an accident with an imported bike just weeks after I received it,registration was in progress but still 8 months away it would show out.Some car crashed into the rear of my bike.Insurance payed for the damage,about 18000 Baht,within a week.Police was involved.

You are not automatically in fault with a non road legal vehicle,same as an underage non-license holder is not automatically in fault.In the western world yes,in Thailand there are different laws.

Incorrect.

Yours is being registered and thus legally recognised by the Transport dept.

A NON registered motorised vehicle used on a public road cannot be insured.

of course it is

Not correct.

Incorrect.

Yours is being registered and thus legally recognised by the Transport dept.

A NON registered motorised vehicle used on a public road cannot be insured.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.With registering in progress I meant,excise tax and import duty's paid but still a long way to go with some more taxes to pay,emission test to do etc to finalise the registration 8 months later.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post.With registering in progress I meant,excise tax and import duty's paid but still a long way to go with some more taxes to pay,emission test to do etc to finalise the registration 8 months later.

the old plate law gave you huge slack, and a year was not a problem tho it was by law limited to 90 days

Presently you have 30 days to ride legally red plate/no plate in the provinces accepting it, after bike is insured first time. 60 -90 days still seems doable, but would not trust Insurance to pay for an illegally used bike anymore

If all taxes are payed and poof of register application can be provided, the 30 days period can usually be accepted extended

there will always be a huge amount of info on people who successfully have been riding without booked and pated bikes. As there are millions of drunkdrivers each night. Doesnt change the consequenses when caught. As drunkdriving usually is limited to 20.000 baht fine, ist often not a major problem.

Non plated bike can be

As there are millions of drunkdrivers each night. Doesnt change the consequenses when caught. As drunkdriving usually is limited to 20.000 baht fine, ist often not a major problem.

Sorry to go off topic, but the 20k Baht fine is the least of your worries if you get done for drunk driving in Thailand. You also risk losing your visa and being blacklisted if convicted of DUI in the Land of Sobriety Smiles... :burp:

As there are millions of drunkdrivers each night. Doesnt change the consequenses when caught. As drunkdriving usually is limited to 20.000 baht fine, ist often not a major problem.

Sorry to go off topic, but the 20k Baht fine is the least of your worries if you get done for drunk driving in Thailand. You also risk losing your visa and being blacklisted if convicted of DUI in the Land of Sobriety Smiles... :burp:

Yepp, deportation is often used even for minor offenses as drunk driving. However Phuket Provincal Court usually fine residents 20k baht end of story, and tourists ad deportation.

But my point was, compare that to non plated/non reg bikes up to 5 year imprisonment. Guaranteed followed by deportation

Yepp, deportation is often used even for minor offenses as drunk driving. However Phuket Provincal Court usually fine residents 20k baht end of story, and tourists ad deportation.

But my point was, compare that to non plated/non reg bikes up to 5 year imprisonment. Guaranteed followed by deportation

Just curious- Have you heard of anyone actually being arrested for riding an unplated and/or unregistered bike?

Just curious- Have you heard of anyone actually being arrested for riding an unplated and/or unregistered bike?

yepp, post #89

however, the plate law seem to be added to charges when another traffic offence is initially revealed. Very effective for prosecutor, as plate law qualifies for a long sentence. Traffic offenses do not

yepp, post #89

however, the plate law seem to be added to charges when another traffic offence is initially revealed. Very effective for prosecutor, as plate law qualifies for a long sentence. Traffic offenses do not

Good lord that seems a bit over the top...

Driving without a license is something like a 400 Baht fine.

Max fine for speeding is only 1000 Baht.

But operating an unregistered vehicle can land you in prison...

Seems like a bit of a disconnect with other Thai traffic laws...

Hope those guys have good lawyers!

Can you imagine if this law was enforced country-wide?

Get out of the big cities and it seems like 50% of the vehicles are unplated in Thailand...

TiT :jap:

yepp, post #89

Get out of the big cities and it seems like 50% of the vehicles are unplated in Thailand...

No doubt this law has been pushed through by DLT and Revenue. Its been "normal" to ride cars and bikes for years without paying excice and road tax. BMW even had two pricelists, white plate or redplate. The new law does not differ if excice has been payed or not, only if you are legally registered and plated within 30 days/3.000km

Boys in brown usually still do not care, as this law does not give them usual comission so they prefere teamoney. Boys in black operate all over the country, I recently had to show copy of book in Nong Kai roadblock on Highway 2 going south. Bunch of bikes and cars impounded, people in mobile jail.

and I agree, countryside they are often non plated. and usually less than 250cc bikes and 2 door pickups, free from excicetax anyway and very low annual road tax, and used locally only. Not the target for this law. Yet.

yepp, post #89

And, btw, bribery is a capital offence in Thailand, under Thai law.

So don't try to bribe the police 200b or you could end up on death row. rolleyes.gif

yepp, post #89

And, btw, bribery is a capital offence in Thailand, under Thai law.

So don't try to bribe the police 200b or you could end up on death row. rolleyes.gif

One of the guys on another forum contacted the transport office in Udon and they said this new law isnt in place :rolleyes:

One Mate was done twice with only fines but was warned three strikes and he is out. I was with a friend that got done for DUI a couple of months ago. 10k bail which was returned and 5k fine.

One of the guys on another forum contacted the transport office in Udon and they said this new law isnt in place :rolleyes:

Welcome back, here we go again :rolleyes:

DLT(Department of Land Transport), or "transport office" as you call it, does not enforce laws. The Royal Thai Police does.

Funny you should mention Udon Thani, as my GF brother in law works with this at the Policestation (Muang).

The new plate law has been in place since last year. Covering all of Thailand. There is a special focus on Udon Thani and Nong Kai due to vehicles crossing from Vientienne

Well your law is not being inforced in Udon or chang mai or Khon kaen. Police dont know about your law transport office doesnt know about you law, like many other things posted its just <deleted> :lol: , you are the only person in Thailand that I have spoken too that seems to think this law in place.

Well your law is not being inforced in Udon or chang mai or Khon kaen. Police dont know about your law transport office doesnt know about you law, like many other things posted its just <deleted> :lol: , you are the only person in Thailand that I have spoken too that seems to think this law in place.

It is not my law, it is the law of Thailand :)

how many judges do you know?:rolleyes:

You keep on advocating illegal bikes to be used on public roads :annoyed:

I keep on telling readers what the problem doing so may be

One Mate was done twice with only fines but was warned three strikes and he is out. I was with a friend that got done for DUI a couple of months ago. 10k bail which was returned and 5k fine.

3 strikes... I love how you are completely ignorant of existing laws but like to invent new ones that don't even exist... :rolleyes:

Okay, that made an interesting little read!:blink:

Through all the back and forth - Shocktreatment does have a point. I have been searching around the net, asking people, posting on forums in the hope of finding a definitive answer, and everyone tells me how illegal it is etc etc, but no one has come up with any first hand experience or simple proof.

BigBikeBKK -> Can you send me a link, name, anything physical to prove the plate law? Some evidence that it isn't just bikes without excise that are being impounded/seized/what-ever-english-word-you-know-the-definition-to?

just remain here in bike forum, type "red plate" or "plate law" in the search top of page right side, and you can read an article in Phuket gazette on platelaw enforcement.

MY GFs uncle is a judge in Petchbury, and they have so far 4 foreigners (in addition to thais) waiting for court to sentence them for traffick violations and lack of plate since the new plate law came into effect. All 4 posted bail 2-300k baht to remain out of cage until court date

sorry to let you know I have posted false info, I said max one year in jail for non registered/plated vehicle on public road. It is six months to five years imprisonment

In that case, to put this to bed once and for all, maybe your "GFs uncle" could tell you the exact name and gazzette/effective date of the law, as nothing on any new "plate law" or any amendments to the Thai Motor Vehicle Act, Title 1(Registration) or Title 4 (Penaties) comes up with such a law or amendment - only references to it, which is highly unusual.

While I agree with BigBikeBKK that "ignorance of the law is not a valid defense" I checked this with my local DLT (Banglamung) after reading about it here when my new Toyota was still unregistered after 3 months and they told me that the law was not yet effective. I had to check it again two months ago when my new bike was still unregistered after 5 months (!) and the Banglamung DLT checked with the Chonburi DLT, Banglamung and Chonburi Police, Chonburi and Pattaya Highway Police, and even the Pattaya Public Prosecutor's Office, all of whom confirmed that as at the beginning of May there was still no such law in force - the Banglamung DLT even confirmed this in writing for me, listing the agencies with whom they had confirmed this. They could all be wrong, and the law may not have been published for some reason - I simply don't know.

(Note: the "Boys in Black" has always been what the Thahan Phran (Rangers) have been called,.so applying it to the Organised Crime Unit could be misleading)

Through all the back and forth - Shocktreatment does have a point. I have been searching around the net, asking people, posting on forums in the hope of finding a definitive answer, and everyone tells me how illegal it is etc etc, but no one has come up with any first hand experience or simple proof.

BigBikeBKK -> Can you send me a link, name, anything physical to prove the plate law? Some evidence that it isn't just bikes without excise that are being impounded/seized/what-ever-english-word-you-know-the-definition-to?

just remain here in bike forum, type "red plate" or "plate law" in the search top of page right side, and you can read an article in Phuket gazette on platelaw enforcement.

MY GFs uncle is a judge in Petchbury, and they have so far 4 foreigners (in addition to thais) waiting for court to sentence them for traffick violations and lack of plate since the new plate law came into effect. All 4 posted bail 2-300k baht to remain out of cage until court date

sorry to let you know I have posted false info, I said max one year in jail for non registered/plated vehicle on public road. It is six months to five years imprisonment

In that case, to put this to bed once and for all, maybe your "GFs uncle" could tell you the exact name and gazzette/effective date of the law, as nothing on any new "plate law" or any amendments to the Thai Motor Vehicle Act, Title 1(Registration) or Title 4 (Penaties) comes up with such a law or amendment - only references to it, which is highly unusual.

While I agree with BigBikeBKK that "ignorance of the law is not a valid defense" I checked this with my local DLT (Banglamung) after reading about it here when my new Toyota was still unregistered after 3 months and they told me that the law was not yet effective. I had to check it again two months ago when my new bike was still unregistered after 5 months (!) and the Banglamung DLT checked with the Chonburi DLT, Banglamung and Chonburi Police, Chonburi and Pattaya Highway Police, and even the Pattaya Public Prosecutor's Office, all of whom confirmed that as at the beginning of May there was still no such law in force - the Banglamung DLT even confirmed this in writing for me, listing the agencies with whom they had confirmed this. They could all be wrong, and the law may not have been published for some reason - I simply don't know.

(Note: the "Boys in Black" has always been what the Thahan Phran (Rangers) have been called,.so applying it to the Organised Crime Unit could be misleading)

Recent info has revealed Chonburi presently does not enforce the new plate law, as DLT is short of new white reg plates. Vehicle must still be registered within 30 days, but allowed to use w o plates longer.

Could you please post your written confirmation from Banglamung DLT to support your info?

Recent info has revealed Chonburi presently does not enforce the new plate law, as DLT is short of new white reg plates. Vehicle must still be registered within 30 days, but allowed to use w o plates longer.

Could you please post your written confirmation from Banglamung DLT to support your info?

I bought a Yamaha Virago last month and it had a diplomatic number plate AND a green book so it was completely legal.

After going from building 2 to 1 and then to 4 and back to 2 again and waiting the best part of 4 1/2 hours at the DLT offices at Mor Chit I was given the updated green book with my details in it and a brand new number plate produced that very morning while I waited.

Perhaps the DLT at Chon Buri should contact Mor Chit's supplier.

I actually rode the 400 km back home with the number plate and the new tax sticker in my top box as I didn't have a frame or tools to fit one and nothing to use as a tax sticker holder.

I passed a traffic cop on a big new BMW on the route 32 north with no problems from him.

The following day I bought a number plate holder and fitted that and scanned the tax sticker into my computer and printed out a copy which I got laminated and bolted it to my bike.

IMHO if you ride around and are not completely legal and have a problem I won't even feel a thing for you. It's up to you and your problem, not mine.

If however you should have an accident with me or my family I will sue you ass off.

No, as it was handed in to the DLT when I collected the plates and registration a month ago - I not had only no plates but no registration documents for the bike at all (except photocopies of the invoice and government insurance with the VIN), so in addition to the details I listed it also told anyone stopping me not to detain me or the bike but, if necessary, to contact the Banglamung DLT and included DLT staff's personal mobile phone numbers for use outside office hours. It could easily have been misused so, not surprisingly, once I had the registration they wanted it back. It was not a question of Chonburi not enforcing the plate law due to a shortage of plates (there was certainly no such shortage then) or being allowed to drive on registration documents, with plates to follow later.

The exact name and details of the law or amendment to the law shouldn't be that hard to find for a judge who is actually waiting to sentence 4 farangs and a number of Thais under this particular law.

The exact name and details of the law or amendment to the law shouldn't be that hard to find for a judge who is actually waiting to sentence 4 farangs and a number of Thais under this particular law.

Good point...

Not sure about this term "men in black", the periodical road blocks leading into Phetchabun city are manned by Provincial Police checking vehicles and people. As well as the usual trucks & motorcycles, I recently spotted a Bangkok-Lomsak class 1 bus being hauled in!!.

Anyway the RTP are no micky mouse outfit these days, take a look at the English language video on this link.

Some interesting stuff.

RTP

I see you came up with the same on the new plate law :lol:

But I am sure if Katabeachbum post about it enough everyone may think there is a new plate law.

Katabeachbum instead of giving everyone the run around checking everywhere for a new law how about you post some thing proving it. And please dont post the excise tax shake down or phuket crack down as it has nothing to do with what we are talking about :jap:

Just so you all understand that I dont recomend riding with out a plate, shit I dont even own a bike with out plate any more :lol:

Not sure about this term "men in black", the periodical road blocks leading into Phetchabun city are manned by Provincial Police checking vehicles and people. As well as the usual trucks & motorcycles, I recently spotted a Bangkok-Lomsak class 1 bus being hauled in!!.

Anyway the RTP are no micky mouse outfit these days, take a look at the English language video on this link.

Some interesting stuff.

RTP

"Men in black" is even more misleading than "boys in black"!

In Thailand Boys in black has always meant the Thahan Phran (the Rangers), while Men in black was used extensively for the (alleged) ex-Rangers who were (allegedly) under Seh Daeng (Khattiya Sawatdiphon) in Bangkok last year.

Wherever that "info" came from it seems pretty unlikely, even for TV. All vehicle registration plates in Thailand, except those for the police and the military, are made at the one central factory in Bangkok which produces over 4,000,000 plates a year for all provinces; the Banglamung DLT is unaware that there has ever been any such shortage.

Wherever that "info" came from it seems pretty unlikely, even for TV. All vehicle registration plates in Thailand, except those for the police and the military, are made at the one central factory in Bangkok which produces over 4,000,000 plates a year for all provinces; the Banglamung DLT is unaware that there has ever been any such shortage.

seemed unlikely indeed, but as Chonbury confirmed they had not ordered plates in time, they where out of plates for a while. Completed registration, but had to come back for plates