Lhr - Bkk Via Delhi

Hi All

Just seem some flights with Southall Travel from LHR - BKK via Delhi with Air India - £454.

Good price and 2/3 hour stopovers.

Never flown with them, probably never will, but if you are looking for a decent price it could be an option.

Hope it may help someone.

Cheers

Kingfisher yes, Jet airways yes. Air India...I would say that if you need to make the saving that this represents you really should be thinking twice about travelling. A typical report from Airline Equality on this routing:

"LHR-DEL-BKK-DEL-LHR. LHR-DEL was ok but cabin crew need educating on customer service, IFE was a non-starter due to the system continually crashing and food was terrible. DEL-BKK was a disaster from the start, we all had to check in again for boarding passes for our connecting flight to BKK - not funny when 150+ passengers are being served by only one individual taking up to 10mins per passenger, this took 2.15 hrs to process for all waiting passengers. On the aircraft we were told there will be an hour delay due to air traffic control, 2 hrs later still left on the tarmac, eventually after 2.5 hrs we took off - while waiting there was no offer of water, air conditioning was not working. Once airborne asked for a Thai arrival card but only to be told, quite we don't have any. Experience on my return leg was a mirror image of my outbound flight. I can only advise not to use them regardless of how cheap they may appear."

Always be very wary of any transit with Air India in India, on their own turf they really couldn't give a fig about you.

As a glutton for punishment or a cheap charlie (i have flown with them twice} i can only confirm what has already been said and even with jet and kingfisher you still have to put up with all that unnecessary sh t at indian airports

I have flown with Air India, on 3 occasions, and am a happy customer, the only thing I didn't like, was having to stop over for a few hours, and then all passangers having to go through quite a vigorous security check, but thats just the way it is(Maybe India wants to catch the drug smugglers that Thailand missed???)

But the cabin crew, and the food & plane safety was 100%.

I am sure if you posted the same about another airline, no matter what one, there will be people who have had good and bad things to say.

It was cheap, and I would fly again.

Kingfisher yes, Jet airways yes. Air India...I would say that if you need to make the saving that this represents you really should be thinking twice about travelling. A typical report from Airline Equality on this routing:

"LHR-DEL-BKK-DEL-LHR. LHR-DEL was ok but cabin crew need educating on customer service, IFE was a non-starter due to the system continually crashing and food was terrible. DEL-BKK was a disaster from the start, we all had to check in again for boarding passes for our connecting flight to BKK - not funny when 150+ passengers are being served by only one individual taking up to 10mins per passenger, this took 2.15 hrs to process for all waiting passengers. On the aircraft we were told there will be an hour delay due to air traffic control, 2 hrs later still left on the tarmac, eventually after 2.5 hrs we took off - while waiting there was no offer of water, air conditioning was not working. Once airborne asked for a Thai arrival card but only to be told, quite we don't have any. Experience on my return leg was a mirror image of my outbound flight. I can only advise not to use them regardless of how cheap they may appear."

Always be very wary of any transit with Air India in India, on their own turf they really couldn't give a fig about you.

Your post does not add up? 150 people * 10mins = 1500 mins = 25 hours.

Your post does not add up? 150 people * 10mins = 1500 mins = 25 hours.

It was a quote from Airline Equality,here.. no doubt the "10 mins" was either artistic license or as was stated taking Up to 10 mins per passenger. Regardless, there are many on this forum or others who won't have enjoyed the same positive experience as yourself. All airlines can get negative reviews, unfortunately Air India gets some of the worst. I'm not even touching on the pilots with "fake" licenses issue raised here recently....

Edited by roamer

Flew this route only 5 week's ago,will not use no more,very cheap yes but also very useless,nightmare time at the stop over where everyone had to wait for a second boarding pass,check in,any decent Airline usually issue's the two in BKK ,security check' while vigorous and stringent was anything but efficient,security people extremely rude and aggressive as were the check in staff,plane was ok if not a little tired and old as were the cabin crew.

Obviously i much prefer a direct flight,but have been various routes in the past,i am of the opinion if you are going to try and grab a cheaper non direct flight go with any of the Gulf carriers rather than any of the India route's,just my own personal experience,i am sure there are many people who use them all the time without a problem.

Good silid replies, i just wanted to inform others of the availability.

Wouldn't travel with them either but those who want to save £50/56/100 may choose to do so.

Cheers

I did that and regretted doing so. My flight was BKK - LHR. Now I have seen the error of my ways and will not fly with them again unless they are proven to have upped their service and the security checks.

My wife had massive decompression with an emergency stop in HKK. She was flying from Singapore on a code share with Thai Air. Cheap flight.

I called and called AI trying to figure out what happened. Luckily, wifey was in a nice hotel in HK, while I was sweating it out in Beijing trying to deal with AI's call center...who were clueless.

Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/business/global/26airindia.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=globasasa24

Cant beat BA..that little extra gets you a hell of a lot more!!!

------------------

I personally wouldn't fly Air India..not from my personal experience...but from what I've heard from others who did fly with them.

The security check thing I can at least understand...due to the very real possibility of Pakastani terrorists entering India or highjacking the plane...it's happened before. So I have to at least accept that even if I don't like it.

However a friend of mine was on an Air India flight from Saudi Arabia to Thailand once with them and went thru Bonbay. During the flight all the toliets in Economy class became unuseable. They were completely blocked with...yes that. They hadn't been flushed by the people who used them.

He asked the stewardess why all of the toilets were blocked. Her answer was,"Yes sir, we know. But you see, the Muslims won't flush the tolets if they think a Hindu used them before, and the Hindu's won't flush the toilets if they think a Muslim used them before. So the result is...no one flushes the toilets."

:blink:

Air india is crap .. even the most patriotic Indian would avoid it... but i disagree with comments posted about King fisher and Jet here... i felt they are much better than the average US and European carriers ...

The problem lies in the transit airport ... avoid Mumbai... only Delhi and Hyderbad are the okey dokey..... airports in india

Edited by IndusCreed