Driving In Europe

barky

Just a quick enquiry for those globe trotters.

Can I drive a car rental in Europe (France/Spain) on a Thai drivers Lcence or will I have to get an international drivers licence?

Cheers!

Should be able to, but for the sake of THB 500 get yourself a IDP based on your Thai DL, then you know there is no problem..

Thanks mate. I'll pop up to the the mor chit office next week to get me one.

I rented cars in Spain, France and Portugal a few years ago with only the IDL. I forgot my US license! Worked fine...but I wouldn't want to do it again as I did have a few strange looks from the counter agents. :(

You can hire a car and use your Thai licence only. I lost my UK licence last year and hired from Enterprise at an airport 3 or 4 times until I got my licence back. Funny thing is, if you forget to carry both parts of the UK licence (card + paper licence document), the car hire firm will charge you 8 pounds for a call to DVLA to ensure you have no endorsements. However, with the Thai licence, wasn't even asked if I had any motoring convictions

You can hire a car and use your Thai licence only. I lost my UK licence last year and hired from Enterprise at an airport 3 or 4 times until I got my licence back. Funny thing is, if you forget to carry both parts of the UK licence (card + paper licence document), the car hire firm will charge you 8 pounds for a call to DVLA to ensure you have no endorsements. However, with the Thai licence, wasn't even asked if I had any motoring convictions

Ha ha yer! I went through the same thing last year, Thai licenseshould be fine. But good to know about an IDP based on your Thai DL. Nice one.

Should be able to, but for the sake of THB 500 get yourself a IDP based on your Thai DL, then you know there is no problem..

Thanks mate. I'll pop up to the the mor chit office next week to get me one.

Literally takes 15 minutes....if you go prepared...ie Photo and the "normally required" photocopies

However, with the Thai licence, wasn't even asked if I had any motoring convictions

Even if they had asked not exactly going to tell them you have convictions in Thailand are you..?....:whistling:

Lets face the vast number of drivers in Thailand have commited motoring "crimes" the minute they bung one of Thailands finest...:rolleyes:

However, with the Thai licence, wasn't even asked if I had any motoring convictions

Even if they had asked not exactly going to tell them you have convictions in Thailand are you..?....:whistling:

Lets face the vast number of drivers in Thailand have commited motoring "crimes" the minute they bung one of Thailands finest...:rolleyes:

OK, they also never asked me if I had ever bribed a Thai policeman. Feel better now?

I just went to the UK and Enterprise would not allow me to rent a car on a Thai drivers license. I had to use my US license to the rent the car.

This is a quote excerpt from a customer service email from Enterprise in response to this specific issue:

All international drivers must have a valid drivers license from their own country, passport and credit card in his/her name. An International license will not be required for US renters however, one would be required with a Thai license (non-English.)

Edited by dave111223

I just went to the UK and Enterprise would not allow me to rent a car on a Thai drivers license. I had to use my US license to the rent the car.

This is a quote excerpt from a customer service email from Enterprise in response to this specific issue:

All international drivers must have a valid drivers license from their own country, passport and credit card in his/her name. An International license will not be required for US renters however, one would be required with a Thai license (non-English.)

Fair enough, but I regularly use Enterprise at my nearest Airport in UK and they didn't bat an eyelid. Mine's are always pre booked using the internet

Suspect the info is out of date...credit card type Thai DL is in English and one assumes you didnt have an IDP to go along with your Thai DL ?

Therefore based on their own rules...you can rent a car on a Thai DL as the key here is the "English" bit

As I have said previously for the princely sum of THB 500 you can get an IDP based on your 5 year Thai DL and all these arguements go away, so it makes perfect sense to get one if you intend to driver internationally on a Thai DL....you may not need/you may be required to show it...but a small investment as to not have any headaches

Fair enough, but I regularly use Enterprise at my nearest Airport in UK and they didn't bat an eyelid. Mine's are always pre booked using the internet

I rented the car 1 month ago from Heathrow, and pre-booked online. Before i arrived i emailed them saying "I have a both US and Thai license can i use these".

And their response "Yes for US license, No for Thai license".

It may be fine if you just show up at the counter with only the Thai license, but after being specifically told that you need an International Drivers license if you have only a Thai license, i wouldn't want to risk it.

As you said in your case you were able to rent with only the Thai license; however i wouldn't suggest it to op (all it would take is a grumpy desk worker and you're taking the train).

I rented the car 1 month ago from Heathrow, and pre-booked online. Before i arrived i emailed them saying "I have a both US and Thai license can i use these".

And their response "Yes for US license, No for Thai license".

It may be fine if you just show up at the counter with only the Thai license, but after being specifically told that you need an International Drivers license if you have only a Thai license, i wouldn't want to risk it.

As you said in your case you were able to rent with only the Thai license; however i wouldn't suggest it to op (all it would take is a grumpy desk worker and you're taking the train).

Isn't the purpose of an IDL simply to translate it...specifically to English? Having a California driver's license, I've never been bothered to get an IDL.

Isn't the purpose of an IDL simply to translate it...specifically to English? Having a California driver's license, I've never been bothered to get an IDL.

Without trying to sound pedantic, there is no such thing as a International Drivers License, its a International Driving Permit, but yes in essence its a "legalised" translation of your valid DL. It also serves the purpose in the case of of license's having specifc license code's of actually confirming you are actually permitted to drive a certain type of vehicle.

eg...my countries drivers license has different license codes and a normal car license is designated a "code 08 " and I needed a IDP to convert my existing DL to a Thai DL, even though the license is all in English and the traffic department here didnt know what a code "08" stood for and the IDP confirmed that my license was a car DL.

We also have to understand that some countries require an IDP irrespective of whether the orignal license is in English or not and this applies to some rental companies was well

Thanks, some useful information. I am back in the UK next month. Will remember to take both parts of my driving licence.

jb1

Hes not a Thai,with only a Thai licence.These Renters ar well aware you can buy a Thai Licence, and the Test has no Standard.

"The Renters" generally couldnt care less as long as its a valid drivers license, which covers their own insurance requirements

I challange you to provide links from any car rental company world wide which specifically excludes a Thai DL for Thai DL, IDP combination...

I challange you to provide links from any car rental company world wide which specifically excludes a Thai DL for Thai DL, IDP combination...

https://enterprise.c...il/i_id/4772988

Where about does it say specically Thai DL's are not accepted in their T&C's all I can find is this...

International Renters (Renting in the US or Canada):

License must be issued from the Country of Residence.

License may not be expired.

International Drivers Permit required if the License is not in English
.(
new Thai DL is in English, so could be argued this doesnt apply either
)

Must be inspected at the time of rental.

Where about does it say specically Thai DL's are not accepted in their T&C's all I can find is this...

.(
)

Why does it bother you. Are you Thai, if so you know you are not up to European Standards. Canada isnt Europe.

.(
)

Why does it bother you. Are you Thai, if so you know you are not up to European Standards. Canada isnt Europe.

Seems we have a baby troll in training....:rolleyes:

I am not Thai and can assure you I am fully competant to drive and have driven in Europe/continential US/Africa....and I do have a Thai DL, and have used said DL to hire cars.

WOW Canada isnt in Europe..!!!! ....you must be a geography teacher.....based on the standard of your prose one hopes you are not an "English" teacher.....:whistling:

.(
)

Seems we have a baby troll in training....:rolleyes:

I am not Thai and can assure you I am fully competant to drive and have driven in Europe/continential US/Africa....and I do have a Thai DL, and have used said DL to hire cars.

WOW Canada isnt in Europe..!!!! ....you must be a geography teacher.....based on the standard of your prose one hopes you are not an "English" teacher.....:whistling:

Hi Soutpeel,

I only asked a simple question. I didn't expect it would have generated so much discussion.

I see that I would probably be perfectly OK with just a Thai DL, but of course, it's all written in Thai, so I'll still take your initial advice and play it totally safe and get an IDP as well as I don't want any un-necessary problems on my holiday .

Hi Soutpeel,

I only asked a simple question. I didn't expect it would have generated so much discussion.

I see that I would probably be perfectly OK with just a Thai DL, but of course, it's all written in Thai, so I'll still take your initial advice and play it totally safe and get an IDP as well as I don't want any un-necessary problems on my holiday .

Which Thai DL do you have ? the old type paper one, or the new credit card type ?...the old type will certainly need an IDP with it, while the new credit card type does have English, but IMHO still a smart idea to get an IDP as well...piece of mind for THB 500