Webcams

booma

If you go to Icon Plaza and/or Computer Plaza you will find literally hundreds of them for sale in the shops. I was there about 3 days ago and noticed them all over. I was surprised how cheap they are these days.

I wouldn't be concerned with what brand, etc. They are probably all made in the same Chinese factories; just different brands, packaging, etc.

Edited by elektrified

I have had a look around these computer shops and there are many choices with prices ranging from about 400thb up to 3500thb, I just wanted to know if the lower end of the market offers any value for money or if it should be avoided!

well, just a thought, but how concerned are you about the quality of your video when you use the webcam?

2 things greatly affect the video quality: the internet speed and the quality of your cam (which in this case, can be generally referred to as the megapixels).

If you have a cheap, slow connection, no matter how many MP your cam is, you will have crap for a streaming video.

However, if you have at least, say, 3MB internet connection, a 1.2 MP cam will give you a decent video. A 6MB connection and a 3MB cam is even better.

You know, you don't have to buy a cam if you have a camcorder lying around... they can usually be hooked up to work as a webcam.

The specifications are often incorrect, saying they have whatever megapixels when they don't.

Even a well known brand webcam did that for me, waste of money. I don't think there is much correlation between price and quality.

IT City used to sell MobileGear webcams which have been as advertised, possibly why the lines seem to have become discontinued, since marketing rather than reality determines what sells. If these are no longer available I don't know which ones to trust any more so good luck.

Edited by johnsjourney

Bought one about 6 months ago at Tucom Pattaya for a whopping 190 Baht.It has usb and a mini jack for the sound.I could have the same model with only usb connection for 100 Baht extra but I thought that would be over the top.:D

It has auto focus and white balance ,four infrareds and built in microphone.Forget already what brand,I think Joker or something,but it works perfect.Its a square model 3cm x 3cm.I use it only sometimes with Skype but all my contacts in Europe tell me that it's a very good quality picture and sound.

Check out Web Cam Girls. You'll see the varying qualities of web cams that they use. Find one using a high resolution web cam and ask her what brand she uses. :)

Apparently many of the Web Cam Girls use Beaver cameras.

Check out Web Cam Girls. You'll see the varying qualities of web cams that they use. Find one using a high resolution web cam and ask her what brand she uses. :)

I never knew the extent of this scene. Thoroughly amazing, the extent and level of professionalism, financials, etc. Real eye opener.