Smoking 3rd Most Risky Factor Behind Deaths In Thailand, After Unsafe Sex And Drinking

webfact

This debate will always bring out the ardent smoker, who despite the heavily proven fact that smoking is very dangerous to their and other peoples health, they always claim that it is not against the law for them to smoke, so why is it dangerous.

This kind of attitude really stinks. When I was a smoker, I knew that non smokers felt unpleasant when around smokers, so I never did it. Why is it so hard for so many smokers to know this simple truth.

The facts are that many things that we humans do is bad for our total health, however there are many things that have a proven bad ending, smoking drink driving, excessive drinking and unsafe sex with unknown partners rate pretty high.

The writing has been on the wall for ages, time to read it people.

Although I have dear friends that smoke, I have never done so myself. Clearly cigarettes cause disease and/or death for smokers and also for second hand inhalers Recent evidence showed that even second hand smoke screws with DNA. I understand some posters will joke about it or rationalize it no problem. Some smokers of course are also in denial. Businesses including pubs in non smoking developed countries continue to thrive or have even been shown to do better with a no smoking policy. This benefits customers and employees, both smoking and non smoking.

Something that bothers me is how some people from developed countries simply "light up" in places with no smoking signs, without any regard for others that do not smoke/not like the smell, not like their clothes and hair to stink, not like irritated burning eyes, etc etc. I will not play loud music in my apartment because I do not want to disturb my neighbors., yet this very simple courtesy does not apply to some G8 smokers. Often the very same G8 ones boasting about educational levels in their home countries while mocking Thai educational standards.

I'd rather have someone injecting heroin sitting near me than someone smoking in that the heroin user does not force me to share the drug.

Regarding alcohol and unsafe sex;

# Valid stats from USA show alcohol kills 5X as many people as all illegal drugs combined. Disease and accidents including road fatalities are factored in, as they likely are in thailand, therefore, "driving hazards" is already causally related to drinking.

# I do not know Thai stats include alcohol as a risk factor for unsafe sex, although it is.

# there's no lack of people dying from hepatitis acquired via unsafe sex. fulminant hepatitis can kill a person fast and easily, unlike treated AIDS nowadays.

# cervical cancer kills women and is related to a virus acquired from unprotected sex. not sure if Thai stats factor it.

Happy Birthday to Robert Zimmerman

Happy birthday Mr Dylan from me also (I must admit I didn't know that it was his birthday).

Bravo!!! - yet more facts and reasons to persuade/convince people to give up, or more pertinently maybe, dissuade those from starting!!! It's a bit of a no-brainer essentially as not getting addicted works wonders for your health and gives you purchasing power for those things that you want in, and from, your long and happy life!! You have to work on the last aspect but the others come free (more than free really as you don't have to pay out for them in the first place).

I'm convinced that when people say affording something that will relieve you of a sizeable amount of your cash will "cost you a packet" refers to buying a pack of cigarettes!!! If it doesn't - IT SHOULD, given the amount they set you back now!!!

Thank you I appreciate your comment.

I have nothing personally against smoking or smokers but I don't think non smokers should be forced to breath smoke.

In Thailand some of the people wearing face masks in public, on trains, buses, etc etc, are being treated for tuberculosis and the mask helps protect us. Perhaps smokers could ponder how they'd feel if the TB people sat near them without the mask, still coughing and breathing ???

Everyone makes their own decisions.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# Teens who smoke cough and wheeze three times more than teens who don't smoke; this is essentially asthma or asthma equivalent, RAD (reactive airway disease) in addition, prone to more upper respiratory infections (one example bronchitis) since smoke harms the normal protective mechanisms of the respiratory system

# Smokers as young as 18 years old have shown evidence of developing heart disease; atherosclerotic heart disease in a teenager is no joking matter.

Conventional doctors have long recognized obesity, cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, and diabetes as major risk factors for a heart attack. A startling report reveals a new, independent risk factor that markedly affects the severity of coronary artery disease.

The surprising finding from this new study is that blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, and body mass index may not be the major predictors of degree of coronary artery blockage. Instead, the three independent risk factors that predicted the severity of coronary artery occlusion were age, high-density lipoprotein (HDL), and free testosterone. In this instance, “independent risk factor” means that if you did everything else recommended to protect your heart, you would still be at greater risk for serious coronary artery blockage if you had low testosterone and low HDL.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/aug2004_awsi_01.htm?source=search&key=smoking%20testosterone

The FIRST cause of death is ageing ...

When will there be a campaign against AGEING ?

B)

Correct - 20 year old smokers don't get smoking related diseases. Its the factor of aging that causes health problems. Low testosterone and high estrogen levels in men is far more deadly. Short telomeres (protective end caps on chromosones) is the primary reason for most aging diseases including, if you live long enough, a collapse of the immune system.

Been Googling have we, by any chance???? :D

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Have these people never been on a Thai road?

I agree that Thai roads are, lets say, not the safest place to be compared to the roads in other countries on account of the fact that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of laws and rules here in Thailand (not those that are strictly enforced or adhered to, anyway).

However, if you were to visit hospitals or study the general health of those smokers (coughing and spluttering their way through life) then you would see that deaths and injuries from road accidents would pale into insignificance compared to the number of deaths and illnesses caused by smoking. There's secondary smoking issues as well don't forget!!! Fortunately, this has improved a great deal as smoking in public places (and areas) is largely banned throughout the civilised world now.

Cigarette manufacturers are not the only ones losing out because of these bans in public spaces as washing detergent and shampoo manufacturers sales must have dropped also because it is unneccesary to wash your hair and clothes after every night out at the pub. You could say "eureka that you don't wreaka" now after a nights enjoyment chatting to your mates and downing a few pints (also accumatively more endangering to your life than driving in Thailand) - unless you do BOTH one after the other that is, whereby the danger is multiplied several times!!!

You have probably guessed that I am, and always have been a NON-smoker due to the risk that it poses to my health and life whereas getting into a car in Thailand doesn't cause me an anxiety attack relating to concerns of whether I'm going to get back home in one piece after a long (or even relatively short) journey - that's the difference!!

pale into insignificance? do we have data here? what is a smoking related illness? if a person who has never smoked or been close to a smoke environment develops lung cancer is that smoking related?

My younger brother was a non-smoker. His wife smoked. He died of a cancer which is almost exclusively limited to smokers, so I do have to surmise that he got his cancer from second-hand smoke.

A quick google shows that about 28,000 people died last year in Thailand due to AIDS. Throw in a few extra for hep and other STDs, and that is still less than smoking in the country. I would have to guess that alcohol related accidents and diseases would be up there, maybe higher than smoking, but no way unsafe sex is higher than smoking.

This debate will always bring out the ardent smoker, who despite the heavily proven fact that smoking is very dangerous to their and other peoples health, they always claim that it is not against the law for them to smoke, so why is it dangerous.

This kind of attitude really stinks. When I was a smoker, I knew that non smokers felt unpleasant when around smokers, so I never did it. Why is it so hard for so many smokers to know this simple truth.

The facts are that many things that we humans do is bad for our total health, however there are many things that have a proven bad ending, smoking drink driving, excessive drinking and unsafe sex with unknown partners rate pretty high.

Although I have dear friends that smoke, I have never done so myself. Clearly cigarettes cause disease and/or death for smokers and also for second hand inhalers Recent evidence showed that even second hand smoke screws with DNA. I understand some posters will joke about it or rationalize it no problem. Some smokers of course are also in denial. Businesses including pubs in non smoking developed countries continue to thrive or have even been shown to do better with a no smoking policy. This benefits customers and employees, both smoking and non smoking.

Something that bothers me is how some people from developed countries simply "light up" in places with no smoking signs, without any regard for others that do not smoke/not like the smell, not like their clothes and hair to stink, not like irritated burning eyes, etc etc. I will not play loud music in my apartment because I do not want to disturb my neighbors., yet this very simple courtesy does not apply to some G8 smokers. Often the very same G8 ones boasting about educational levels in their home countries while mocking Thai educational standards.

I'd rather have someone injecting heroin sitting near me than someone smoking in that the heroin user does not force me to share the drug.

Regarding alcohol and unsafe sex;

# Valid stats from USA show alcohol kills 5X as many people as all illegal drugs combined. Disease and accidents including road fatalities are factored in, as they likely are in thailand, therefore, "driving hazards" is already causally related to drinking.

# I do not know Thai stats include alcohol as a risk factor for unsafe sex, although it is.

# there's no lack of people dying from hepatitis acquired via unsafe sex. fulminant hepatitis can kill a person fast and easily, unlike treated AIDS nowadays.

# cervical cancer kills women and is related to a virus acquired from unprotected sex. not sure if Thai stats factor it.

Happy Birthday to Robert Zimmerman

Happy birthday Mr Dylan from me also (I must admit I didn't know that it was his birthday).

Bravo!!! - yet more facts and reasons to persuade/convince people to give up, or more pertinently maybe, dissuade those from starting!!! It's a bit of a no-brainer essentially as not getting addicted works wonders for your health and gives you purchasing power for those things that you want in, and from, your long and happy life!! You have to work on the last aspect but the others come free (more than free really as you don't have to pay out for them in the first place).

I'm convinced that when people say affording something that will relieve you of a sizeable amount of your cash will "cost you a packet" refers to buying a pack of cigarettes!!! If it doesn't - IT SHOULD, given the amount they set you back now!!!

Thank you I appreciate your comment.

I have nothing personally against smoking or smokers but I don't think non smokers should be forced to breath smoke.

In Thailand some of the people wearing face masks in public, on trains, buses, etc etc, are being treated for tuberculosis and the mask helps protect us. Perhaps smokers could ponder how they'd feel if the TB people sat near them without the mask, still coughing and breathing ???

Everyone makes their own decisions.

Yes granted - everyone should be allowed to make their own decisions - its just when it adversely affects My health and MY wellbeing that I take exception to this. Why should those selfish beings be allowed to affect my being on account of their foolish and inexcusable fallabilities. They must understand that they are the one with the problem and if the insist on pursuing it then they must take other peoples concerns into account!!

I like my air to be clean (well as clean as it can be considering the pollution that us humans pump into the air by one means or another) and nobody should deny my rights to do so by puffing smoke into it. Nothing makes my blood boil more than the pathetic "It's my right to smoke". If they must do it, then choose a room that other people do not use or frequent as a matter of having to. They can set up their own gas chamber and recycle the tar and carcinogens around their own breathing apparatus and not force others to breath in noxious substances as I want my life to last longer than their's will.

My younger brother was a non-smoker. His wife smoked. He died of a cancer which is almost exclusively limited to smokers, so I do have to surmise that he got his cancer from second-hand smoke.

A quick google shows that about 28,000 people died last year in Thailand due to AIDS. Throw in a few extra for hep and other STDs, and that is still less than smoking in the country. I would have to guess that alcohol related accidents and diseases would be up there, maybe higher than smoking, but no way unsafe sex is higher than smoking.

Actually, now that I have researched a little more, Hep B is very prevalent in the region and leads to many, many premature deaths. Unsafe sex is a way to catch it.

Actually, now that I have researched a little more, Hep B is very prevalent in the region and leads to many, many premature deaths. Unsafe sex is a way to catch it.

The best way not to catch it is to have the vaccine - which is inexpensive and available from most hospitals.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/healthcare(2).asp

If 30% of the adult population smoke, lets say 12mn people, and 50k (presumably 90% of whom are from 50 to 70 years old) people die per year from it, whilst I laud their efforts, I would question whether or not this money might not be better spent on drivers education since this tends to cut short the lives of many more 15 to 30 year olds, instantly.

As an aside, how does the government actually spend 1mn per year per smoker with illnesses? Haven't heard of too many lung transplants being freely available on the Thai health system.

I would think that smoking causes far more premature deaths than unsafe sex - that's a ridiculous article.

I suspect you're right there - which is a pity because it just makes a mess of the whole thing.Without a doubt smoking, drink and general road safety cost the Thai nation a fortune, but I would like to see how they put "safe sex" up there with the rest.

http://www.thaiwebsi...om/healthcare(2).asp

If 30% of the adult population smoke, lets say 12mn people, and 50k (presumably 90% of whom are from 50 to 70 years old) people die per year from it, whilst I laud their efforts, I would question whether or not this money might not be better spent on drivers education since this tends to cut short the lives of many more 15 to 30 year olds, instantly.

As an aside, how does the government actually spend 1mn per year per smoker with illnesses? Haven't heard of too many lung transplants being freely available on the Thai health system.

You sound as if you think the only illness caused by smoking is lung cancer?

Secondly you don't haver to die to cost the nation money - in fact that is sometimes the cheapest way out.Hospitals hav to look after patients with chronic ilnesses brought about by smoking in people of all ages....;of course a chronic illness if often very costly.

If the patient finally dies of the disease then often it disrupts the financial situation of the rest of the family....either the loss of the bread0winner or the work done at home by the usually femal spouse. Children have to be brought up and looked after by one person etc etc.........

The best way not to catch it is to have the vaccine - which is inexpensive and available from most hospitals.

Why not be doubly safe and have the vaccine and DON"T indulge in unsafe sex!!!

I think the number one cause is texting whilst smoking during unsafe sex after drinking too much still driving

Smoking is incredibly dangerous to your health. I asked I guy for a match last week and he shot me.

Secondly you don't haver to die to cost the nation money - in fact that is sometimes the cheapest way out.Hospitals hav to look after patients with chronic ilnesses brought about by smoking in people of all ages....;of course a chronic illness if often very costly.

If the patient finally dies of the disease then often it disrupts the financial situation of the rest of the family....either the loss of the bread0winner or the work done at home by the usually femal spouse. Children have to be brought up and looked after by one person etc etc.........

Hats off to you 'Deeral' I fully agree with everything you have written!!! Now who would have ever foreseen that happening after some of the spats we've had in the past????

I think the number one cause is texting whilst smoking during unsafe sex after drinking too much still driving

Smoking is incredibly dangerous to your health. I asked I guy for a match last week and he shot me.

Maybe he was a non-smoker that was offended by you're intention to pollute his air!!! I am vehemently ANTI myself but don't worry I wouldn't take my views to this extreme - besides I don't have that amount of bullets!!:rolleyes:

I am not questioning anything you say. I still don't see the million per year number as a realistic measurement of out or inpatient costs on the government. I know a friend of mine who's father is suffering from emphyzema and the family is paying every penny themselves for proper home care.

Just questioning the priorities of trying to stop people smoking (over 75% are unsuccessful) in comparison with drivers ed, which could save probably more lives and cost less.

A quick google found this link: http://rochr.qrc.com...%20Thailand.pdf

Data up to 2003. It seems to suggest that accidents (within the category of external causes rather than diseases) are amongst the top causes of death in Thailand.

The numbers quoted in that link are way more believable than anything else I have viewed so far.

The mortality rate in Thailand could be reduced drastically in not too large a timescale, all it requires is money, education and effort.... oops,fell at the first fence that one didn't it.... much easier to hide the truth and blame it all on people who drink, smoke and have sex..... bad people, bad bad people.

Don't get me wrong, trying to get people to lead a healthier lifestyle is laudable, but according to the original post it looks like the only thing that needs to be done to reduce the number of early deaths in Thailand, which it patently isn't.

Whilst I gave up smoking myself many years ago and welcome the more smoke free climate that we enjoy today - I still do not accept all the argument about the level of danger since I have known many heavy smokers who lived to ripe old age. It is an obvious target to hit simply because it is an optional pass time - After over 30 years not smoking I still miss the calming and relaxing effect of cigarettes and have never really found an alternative that is so easy to apply - you cant after all go into a meditative trance, practice yoga or take a stiff drink while working or driving! I do sometimes wonder if the improvement to my life expectancy by giving up smoking is not countered to some extent by greater stress levels. I also think that mankind is in general a creature who enjoys taking risks - some end up with cancer or aids as a result while others end up as successful businessmen or mountaineers - much that is both good and bad in our lives comes as a result of taking risks and without this life would probably become pretty dull

They will divert us from dangerous exhaust gas emissions, and chemicals everywhere. Cancer is going to kill most people in the world. Better they look for chemicals in the tobacco to take care for people. I don't believe this "bullshit" list of death, it's to morality with the unsafe sex... Not everybody goes to prostitute, but when, you better safe your joystick... Only drinking Alcohol, I believe, every fifth in germany have dangerous drinking behaviours, most die on heart, then pancreas and then on liver. Maybe here, the most die in traffic, I think in the night about 50% drivers drunken. If you smoke or drink or both, it's the question, how much.

Whilst I gave up smoking myself many years ago and welcome the more smoke free climate that we enjoy today - I still do not accept all the argument about the level of danger since I have known many heavy smokers who lived to ripe old age. It is an obvious target to hit simply because it is an optional pass time - After over 30 years not smoking I still miss the calming and relaxing effect of cigarettes and have never really found an alternative that is so easy to apply - you cant after all go into a meditative trance, practice yoga or take a stiff drink while working or driving! I do sometimes wonder if the improvement to my life expectancy by giving up smoking is not countered to some extent by greater stress levels. I also think that mankind is in general a creature who enjoys taking risks - some end up with cancer or aids as a result while others end up as successful businessmen or mountaineers - much that is both good and bad in our lives comes as a result of taking risks and without this life would probably become pretty dull

One of the sensible posts I have read in a long time, especially from someone who has kicked a habit. Informed life style judgements are best made when we are looking in a mirror.

Have these people never been on a Thai road?

I agree that Thai roads are, lets say, not the safest place to be compared to the roads in other countries on account of the fact that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of laws and rules here in Thailand (not those that are strictly enforced or adhered to, anyway).

However, if you were to visit hospitals or study the general health of those smokers (coughing and spluttering their way through life) then you would see that deaths and injuries from road accidents would pale into insignificance compared to the number of deaths and illnesses caused by smoking. There's secondary smoking issues as well don't forget!!! Fortunately, this has improved a great deal as smoking in public places (and areas) is largely banned throughout the civilised world now.

Cigarette manufacturers are not the only ones losing out because of these bans in public spaces as washing detergent and shampoo manufacturers sales must have dropped also because it is unneccesary to wash your hair and clothes after every night out at the pub. You could say "eureka that you don't wreaka" now after a nights enjoyment chatting to your mates and downing a few pints (also accumatively more endangering to your life than driving in Thailand) - unless you do BOTH one after the other that is, whereby the danger is multiplied several times!!!

You have probably guessed that I am, and always have been a NON-smoker due to the risk that it poses to my health and life whereas getting into a car in Thailand doesn't cause me an anxiety attack relating to concerns of whether I'm going to get back home in one piece after a long (or even relatively short) journey - that's the difference!!

Somehow I think you missed the point, regarding Thai roads, I am not sure but I think the author was not refereing to the acciident rate but rather to the pullution rate. Th carbone monoxide distributed by Thai tuk tuks and songtangs is somewhat equal to 10,000 smokers, Have you ever sat at a traffic signals waiting for the go signal? the pollution from the motor bikes that just happen to jump in front of you is staggering, Well I suppose that if you are in a car, then it does not effect you, but I think we are talking about, illness caused to Thais by smoking, I would think more vehicle exhuast fumes than smoking, it's probably the case throughout the World, but Governments will not admit it as it becomes their responsibility, rather than personal responsibility

Also, everyone seemed to have missed the headline, smoking 3rd most risky factor behind death

I am not questioning anything you say. I still don't see the million per year number as a realistic measurement of out or inpatient costs on the government. I know a friend of mine who's father is suffering from emphyzema and the family is paying every penny themselves for proper home care.

Just questioning the priorities of trying to stop people smoking (over 75% are unsuccessful) in comparison with drivers ed, which could save probably more lives and cost less.

"family is paying every penny" - you just don't geddit do you?Anyone who thinks that one personal experience is a valid argument for something affecting a nation has missed the point.Also "paying" - the family are part of the economy - when we work out how much is spent on healthcare, we don't ask WHO is paying it is expressed as a percentage of the GNP or GDP etc.

# Teens who smoke cough and wheeze three times more than teens who don't smoke; this is essentially asthma or asthma equivalent, RAD (reactive airway disease) in addition, prone to more upper respiratory infections (one example bronchitis) since smoke harms the normal protective mechanisms of the respiratory system

# Smokers as young as 18 years old have shown evidence of developing heart disease; atherosclerotic heart disease in a teenager is no joking matter.

Conventional doctors have long recognized obesity, cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, and diabetes as major risk factors for a heart attack. A startling report reveals a new, independent risk factor that markedly affects the severity of coronary artery disease.

The surprising finding from this new study is that blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, and body mass index may not be the major predictors of degree of coronary artery blockage. Instead, the three independent risk factors that predicted the severity of coronary artery occlusion were age, high-density lipoprotein (HDL), and free testosterone. In this instance, “independent risk factor” means that if you did everything else recommended to protect your heart, you would still be at greater risk for serious coronary artery blockage if you had low testosterone and low HDL.

http://www.lef.org/m...%20testosterone

Yes the article is interesting thank you. My response was regarding heart disease in a teenager/20 year old.

One of the sensible posts I have read in a long time, especially from someone who has kicked a habit. Informed life style judgements are best made when we are looking in a mirror.

Sensible posts should be "stickies" huh ?