Max Stay On Uk Visit Visa

Hi,

My girlfriend has a UK visit visa which is valid from 30/05/2011 to 30/11/2011, thats 184 days.

Is she allowed to stay in the UK for the full 184 days or can she only use 180 of them?

Also if she leaves Bangkok Thailand on the 29th but arrives on 30th to UK will that be alright. I don't want her stopped from getting on the plane.

Just got it this morning so i'm over the moon!!!

Thanks in advance

-Jack

She can remain I'n the uk until the day her visa expires, as long as she does not go over the date she will be fine, answer to your other question should also be ok as she will get her visa checked when she arrives I'n the uk, however some airlines maybe different so I would check with them to be on the safe side,

Yes, she must leave the UK by the expiry date on her visa.

But without wishing to rain on your parade I will chuck a couple of googlies in.

In her application how long did she indicate she intended her visit to last? if she said she intended to remain in the UK for six months and was still able to convince the ECO that it was a genuine visit and that she had a reason to return then, yes she has nothing to worry about. If however she indicated that her proposed trip was for a period one would normally associate with a holiday, and she provided evidence of reason to return after such a trip, then there are dangers in staying for the validity of the visa, bear in mind that visas are routinely issued for six months, though she would not be breaking the law if she stayed the full six months.

When she arrives at the UK Border the Immigration Officer might well ask her about the purpose and length of her trip, and I'm now assuming she indicated a shorter trip in her original application, he will be able to access the original application, flight records and of course he might ask her questions about her finances and intentions, it's also feasible, though unlikely, that if her plans didn't marry up to her original application she could be refused entry.

If she indicated in her application that she wished to enter the UK for a couple of weeks, or even a month or so and stayed for six months, as she is well allowed to, it might bring her credibility into question in any further application.

I'm certainly am not trying to be a scaremonger, but if she didn't indicate in her application that she wished to go to the UK for a six month holiday there are dangers, however remote, that she could run into difficulties.

True, as long as she left the UK on or before the expiry date of her visa she would not be breaking any rule if she stayed longer than stated in her original application.

However, as the og says

If she indicated in her application that she wished to enter the UK for a couple of weeks, or even a month or so and stayed for six months, as she is well allowed to, it might bring her credibility into question in any further application.

So if she does stay longer than originaly stated then in any future application she should explain why she did so and how she was able to do so; especially if she used a letter from an employer granting her a limited leave of absence in the original application.

BTW, UK visit visas are valid for 6 calender months, not 180 days.

We have just got our visa. Although the visa is valid for 6 calender months, the duration of stay is specified as 180 days.

she is Legally allowed to stay with in the dates , it does not matter if she stays longer than asked for,

...unless she makes a subsequent visa application and fails to state why she requested x amount of days in the first application but ended up staying y number of days on the first visit instead.

The OP and his partner really do need to keep tabs on what was asked for in the application, how long she will end up actually staying for (if different) and make sure that the reason for the difference is accounted for to the satisfaction of future visa application reviews. Or, as they say in the bible, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

We have just got our visa. Although the visa is valid for 6 calender months, the duration of stay is specified as 180 days.

I have seen your other post where you quote the full endorsement, but Leave to enter endorsement and list of conditions required with each code makes no mention of an endorsement to visit visas of a duration of 180 days.

I admit I have not seen a visit visa endorsement for some time, and maybe the UKBA's published list is out of date; which would not surprise me!

I have seen your other post where you quote the full endorsement, but Leave to enter endorsement and list of conditions required with each code makes no mention of an endorsement to visit visas of a duration of 180 days.

I admit I have not seen a visit visa endorsement for some time, and maybe the UKBA's published list is out of date; which would not surprise me!

I presume that this means you can enter the UK anytime before the visa expiry date and stay for 180 days, or, do multiple entries with a cumulative total stay of 180 days

I presume that this means you can enter the UK anytime before the visa expiry date and stay for 180 days, or, do multiple entries with a cumulative total stay of 180 days

Not unless there has been a major, unannounced change.

Once the expiry date of a visa has been reached the visa is no longer valid, regardless of how much or little time has actualy been spent in the UK. If the holder attempts to use the visa to enter the UK after the expiry date they will be refused entry and if they remain in the UK after this date they will be an overstayer and so in the UK illegally.

Not unless there has been a major, unannounced change.

Once the expiry date of a visa has been reached the visa is no longer valid, regardless of how much or little time has actualy been spent in the UK. If the holder attempts to use the visa to enter the UK after the expiry date they will be refused entry and if they remain in the UK after this date they will be an overstayer and so in the UK illegally.

This being the first time I will have entered the UK with someone who has entry clearance, it is of interest to me.

So, it is not like entry to Thailand with a tourist visa (single or multi entry), where you can enter any time before the expiry date of the visa and stay until the "valid until..." date of the entry stamp, even though that date is beyond the expiry date of the visa.

What stamp will my partner get in her passport when we enter the UK? A stamp just showing the entry date?

UK visit visas were once valid for 6 months and the six months started when one entered the UK (provided it was before the expiry date); but the rules were changed a few years ago so that now the visa is only valid for 6 months* from the date of issue.

The stamp in her passport will show the date and port of entry to the UK.

*Or whatever period was applied for and/or granted.

Just found in the Immigration Directorate Instructions:-

2.1.5 Multi-Entry Visas

Visit visas are normally valid for 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, 5 and 10 years. The visas are valid for unlimited journeys within the validity period of the visa. However, holders of visit visas may only remain in the UK for a maximum of six months on any one visit, or until the visa expires if less than six months. This restriction is indicated on the visa by the entry "180" days after the "Duration of stay" section. The holder may not remain (without further permission) in the UK after the "valid until" date on the visit visa, even if this is less than six months.

2.1.5 Multi-Entry Visas

Visit visas are normally valid for 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, 5 and 10 years. The visas are valid for unlimited journeys within the validity period of the visa. However, holders of visit visas may only remain in the UK for a maximum of six months on any one visit, or until the visa expires if less than six months. This restriction is indicated on the visa by the entry "180" days after the "Duration of stay" section. The holder may not remain (without further permission) in the UK after the "valid until" date on the visit visa, even if this is less than six months.

Thanks 7by7.

I was looking for the info... but not easy to find.

2.1.5 Multi-Entry Visas

Thanks 7by7.

Happened to a friend of mine, she said she wanted to visit uk for 3 weeks, she stayed for 4 months, next time she applied it was refused, the reason given was overstay!

2.1.5 Multi-Entry Visas

Thanks 7by7.

Happened to a friend of mine, she said she wanted to visit uk for 3 weeks, she stayed for 4 months, next time she applied it was refused, the reason given was overstay!

It would be interesting to know how the UKBA know how long you have stayed in the UK (assuming within the 6 month visa period)as although they check and stamp the passport on arrival, on returning to Bkk from Manchester my wife on all 8 or 10 occasions has never had her passport checked or stamped out when leaving.

Only the airline has asked for her passport when checking in and when boarding the aircraft.

It would be interesting to know how the UKBA know how long you have stayed in the UK (assuming within the 6 month visa period)as although they check and stamp the passport on arrival, on returning to Bkk from Manchester my wife on all 8 or 10 occasions has never had her passport checked or stamped out when leaving.

Only the airline has asked for her passport when checking in and when boarding the aircraft.

They cannot see from your passport when you left UK, but they can see when you enter another country, eg when you re-enter Thailand. All countries that I know of stamp your passport on entry. For instance, if you left Thailand, there will be an exit stamp. Then you enter UK, there will be an entry stamp. Then you leave UK after 6 months, but there is no exit stamp. Then you enter Thailand, there is an entry stamp. The logical conclusion is that you were out of Thailand for 6 months, and because there are no other entry stamps for any other country, then you stayed in UK for the whole period. If you claim to UKBA ( the visa officer, for instance) that you only stayed in UK for one month, then the onus will be on you to prove it.

Edited by 7by7
Quote placed into quote box

VP - I have seen occasional embarkation checks at T3, could they or would they have an interest in any over-stayers at this point or are they looking for something, or someone, in particular?

Me too; when I experienced it they stopped students (from the 3 of 4 that were in ear shot) .

And it seemed at the time they did know who they were looking for as they approached individuals after they passed the boarding card check at the gate.

Officials checked their visa, asked them where they were travelling and why, and also questioned them about their education provider. They also searched through all their hand luggage. It all seemed friendly enough though, with everyone smiling and complying.

I saw this at Gatwick.

I wonder if they were interested in students of particular colleges, or anyone in general who becomes flagged on their system.

VP - I have seen occasional embarkation checks at T3, could they or would they have an interest in any over-stayers at this point or are they looking for something, or someone, in particular?

There are various reasons for the checks. Often, certain nationalities are targetted for compliance checks, ie. checking for overstayers. Some nationalities, or class of passenger, do tend to abuse the system, more than others, by overstaying. Sometimes they will try to frustrate the system by obtaining a new passport in the UK ( often in a different name) or a travel document ( claiming to have lost the document that they originally arrived with ). The embarkation checks can identify such passengers, by interviewing them about their arrival and stay in the UK, and make it difficult for them to return or obtain a new visa.

Edited by VisasPlus