When Thailand Gets A Chance To Speak, Will Others Listen?

webfact

When Thailand gets a chance to speak, will others listen?

By Walaya Jariyadham

Special to The Nation

Three weeks before the election on July 3, Prime Minister Abhisit is scheduled to attend the 2011 World Economic Forum on East Asia, hosted by Indonesia in Jakarta.

This trip is likely to be his last foreign engagement before the poll. There, Abhisit will host an exclusive luncheon, customary for next year's chair, as Thailand prepares to host the event in 2012.

This visit, slated for June 13, will be the prime minister's fourth encounter with the Davos elite - following the 39th and 40th WEFs in January 2009 and 2010, plus the previous WEF on East Asia in Ho Chi Minh City in June last year.

Attending Davos has become a sort of obligation-cum-opportunity for talented leaders. Although its allure of power and secrecy has long been debunked and replaced by the image of a mere talking shop or ego trip, a no-show at the event usually raises suspicions about troubles back home and, in the case of Thailand, rumours about a putsch-in-the-making. Failing to attend a WEF meeting can also be seen as a missed opportunity to deliver messages to the international audience directly. For developed countries in particular the event is also a chance to score political points back home and boost national prestige.

At the main WEF in the Swiss ski-resort, developed countries talk about economic challenges and governance issues, along with current affairs affecting the economy. For East Asian nations, many of which are faced with political instability, leaders are usually more conscious of straddling political and economic topics in a more equal measure. Of course, the idea is to downplay political troubles by playing up economy-related messages. In a way, the East Asia chapters are more or less filler programmes between the main events in Davos. Nevertheless, the trademark of Davos/WEF still sells and these "side-events" still draw a high-powered crowd of delegates and attendees.

It is not often that Thailand has a Davos-presentable leader, and since a very small percentage of Thais know about the WEF, attending the event is mainly an opportunity to boost national image and international standing - as well as to impress audiences back home. This year in Jakarta will be special as Thailand is on the verge of a historic election. The following points should inform Thailand's participation and underlie the messages it will send:

Despite the unrest of recent years, Thailand remains strong. Last year, leading Thai companies like PTT, Thai Airways, Egat, ThaiBev and Bangkok Bank joined as WEF members. The membership has earned the Thai private sector more visibility at Davos and given them the opportunity to rub shoulders with world leaders and help shape the global agenda. In Jakarta, a presentation will showcase Thailand's readiness to chair the next WEF/East Asia. As question marks remain over the country's political future, Thai companies are expected to do the advertising to boost confidence and attract investment - crossing fingers that the pace of infrastructural development under the Asean connectivity banner will continue irrespective of any change of government.

As the event falls pre-election, the still-incumbent Abhisit could use the forum to show vision and leadership. This year's theme is "Responding to the New Globalism", and participants are expected to opine about recent events in Japan, the Middle East and North Africa, and how these affect growth in Asia. The death of Osama bin Laden and how that will affect global security might also come up. Given the theme, it is likely that questions may arise as to how much economic nationalism and sovereignty issues are causing tension in a supposedly globalised age. Of course, this will be another shot at explaining domestic troubles with emphasis, of course, on looking ahead.

Speaking in Jakarta is also a chance to illustrate Thailand's connection and contribution to the region and the world, particularly in economic and trade terms. Previous WEF meetings saw leaders express concern about the direction and pace of recovery in the US, the public-sector debts and receding private-sector growth in Europe, and the hopes and promises embodied in the emerging markets and new economies in East Asia. Most participants concurred on governance failures and regulation problems, and the broad conclusion was that: the new "watchword" should be more inclusive, balanced and sustainable growth; income inequality and unequal share of wealth constituted a serious risk; and food and energy crises - linked to natural disasters - need new policy action. Thailand has plenty of stories to tell for all these areas:

First, Thailand embraced, at least in policy terms, the sustainable development concept long before the financial crisis forced the West to pay attention to anything that suggested moderation. Second, in taking part in the "Who Owns the Wealth" TV debate at this WEF event, Thailand should show honesty in its desire to ease inequality, even though its income gap problem is no worse than countries like the US or Brazil. This topic provides a platform to draw international support for the government's aim to tackle structural economic problems through difficult tax measures, land reforms, minimum wage increases and farmers' income guarantees. The WEF crowd might also like to hear about Thailand's "creative economy" and what it means to the country's service sector's competitiveness and innovativeness, as well as Thailand's plan to reduce logistics costs and improve infrastructural efficiency in line with Asean integration objectives. Third, talking about Thailand's strength in the food sector, tourism and and alternative energy policy will also project the image of Thailand being aligned with global recovery and development trends.

Of course, no one knows yet who will be Thailand's prime minister in 2012. What's more important, however, is whether the political climate at that time will be conducive to welcoming high-level visitors. Such a gathering of leaders has the potential to make or break Thailand's image for years to follow. Hopefully, any serious conflicts after July 3 will be resolved by the end of this year, or by the time Thailand hosts the WEF event.

WEF watchers will likely pay attention to how reducing inequality should be done, given the broad agreement that income gaps compromise the benefits of globalisation. As delegates motorcade around Bangkok, they will notice the juxtaposition of Mercedes and street beggars. And with that, whatever Thailand says about sustainable development and sufficiency economy may be called into question.

Perhaps, as those top minds talk about globalism, they will also see the irony that in this part of the world, too, national borders and basic issues like territorial disputes and border demarcation still matter persistently. Maybe the famous Thai smile and giddy entertainment that Bangkok has to offer will create some temporary oblivion to these issues, but outside the posh hotel meeting rooms, reality is always different, and disparities still stark.

Walaya Jariyadham was a fellow at the American Political Science Association in Washington, DC.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-28

The short answer; hell no!

The long answer; when Thailand ends corruption, the dual pricing stick it to the farang mentality, the racist and xenophobic mentality, gives and enforces equal rights to everyone including foreigners, the incomprehensible laws on land ownership and business investments, and changes the educational system, then it may be ready for the world stage.

On a closing note. I remember recently someone in the political sphere saying that "they did not care about what the west had to say". (I'm paraphrasing) Which begs the question; Why would anyone care about what Thailand had too say?

The long answer; when Thailand ends corruption, the dual pricing stick it to the farang mentality, the racist and xenophobic mentality, gives and enforces equal rights to everyone including foreigners, the incomprehensible laws on land ownership and business investments, and changes the educational system, then it may be ready for the world stage.

On a closing note. I remember recently someone in the political sphere saying that "they did not care about what the west had to say". (I'm paraphrasing) Which begs the question; Why would anyone care about what Thailand had too say?

Given that the article is about the "2011 World Economic Forum on East Asia, hosted by Indonesia in Jakarta",

corruption, the dual pricing stick it to the farang mentality, the racist and xenophobic mentality, gives and enforces equal rights to everyone including foreigners, the incomprehensible laws on land ownership and business investments, and changes the educational system
refers to most of the countries attending.

Given that the article is about the "2011 World Economic Forum on East Asia, hosted by Indonesia in Jakarta",

corruption, the dual pricing stick it to the farang mentality, the racist and xenophobic mentality, gives and enforces equal rights to everyone including foreigners, the incomprehensible laws on land ownership and business investments, and changes the educational system

Unfortunately though those categories can be applied to a greater or lesser degree for different countries in SE Asia - Singapore / Thailand comparison anyone? But, yeah why should anyone listen to Thailand? Does it have anything useful or constructive to say??

Unfortunately though those categories can be applied to a greater or lesser degree for different countries in SE Asia - Singapore / Thailand comparison anyone? But, yeah why should anyone listen to Thailand? Does it have anything useful or constructive to say??

Yes they do. There will be nuclear power plants, high speed trains from China and the BIG DAM tp protect Bangkok from Amsterdam, or something similar.

Please do not forget that drugs will have an end when Khun Thaksin's coming back. The world's biggest Somtham producer should be upgraded to a World Class Standard Papaya-Salad Hub.

All smugglers and pushers will suddenly stop living. Arrai Na??:jap:

Perhaps, as those top minds talk about globalism, they will also see the irony that in this part of the world, too, national borders and basic issues like territorial disputes and border demarcation still matter persistently. Maybe the famous Thai smile and giddy entertainment that Bangkok has to offer will create some temporary oblivion to these issues, but outside the posh hotel meeting rooms, reality is always different, and disparities still stark.

The will listen to Thailand, if they send all good looking girls to Europe, Australia and America......

The famous Thai smile before a knife ends your life from behind.......:jap:

Third, talking about Thailand's strength in the food sector, tourism and and alternative energy policy will also project the image of Thailand being aligned with global recovery and development trends.

Cham Ghinn Somtham. I eat Somtahm, Ghinn Tuk Wann. Eat it every day. Bai hong Naam Bor. Go to the toilet. Chai Dong Sia- Diarrhea.

:jap:

I don't see any reason why a civilized country would listen to a xenophobic country who is incapable of having peaceful elections, is constantly violating human rights, is listed as one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and is listed as one of the most censored countries in the world.

Thailand doesn't have anything positive to share with the world. There is a lot of growing up to do before they are to listened to and taken seriously.

If ever Thailand is all inclusive of what you just described, my question to you and the rest of the group, who are also of the same opinion....

why on earth do you even bother to come to Thailand for whatever reason at all....

there surely are better countries around the globe.... to holiday, visit, invest in and settle.... aren't there?

The first place and the first person that ought to change is closer to home, don't you think?

Do you get whom I am referring to....? :huh:

Any country around the whole wide world you go to.... you choose to see what you want to see....

You yourself choose what you want to do, where to visit, whom to interact with and what venues attract your attention....

Thailand is not perfect and as a matter of fact.... far from perfect.... but then which country is perfect....

The degree of perfectness is what most people consider.... whether or not to spend their time, money and lives in that particular country....

I am by no means the protector of Thailand, nor her virtues, nor her vices....

but I do feel that you are taking a cheap shot at Thailand

without really traveling the length of the country enough time,

without learning the Thai cultural differences enough,

without knowing the country well enough on a personal level either....

Please do not feel that I am picking on you for any one particular reason, k?

There must be thousand others very much like your good self, who are displeased, dissatisfied and disgusted with some aspects of Thailand....

But then there are even more farang who choose to come to Thailand to visit, invest or settle ....

overlooking her imperfectness.... but

enjoying and focusing on what other advantageous she has to offer every visitor and the rest of the world....

I enjoy being in Thailand very much in spite of.... and despite of.... all her imperfectness which many times also drive me up the creek as well.... B)

Third, talking about Thailand's strength in the food sector, tourism and and alternative energy policy will also project the image of Thailand being aligned with global recovery and development trends.

Cham Ghinn Somtham. I eat Somtahm, Ghinn Tuk Wann. Eat it every day. Bai hong Naam Bor. Go to the toilet. Chai Dong Sia- Diarrhea.

:jap:

Every thing aside....

You still have a long way to go to pronounce Thai words.... accurately enough for an ordinary Thai to understand you.... LOL

Sorry, I do not intend to be means or anything like that....

Surely hope most mainstreamed Thai do understand what you are trying to convey though....

Pardon me, if I may.... stomachache in Thai is pronounced as.... TONG SIA ( ท้องเสีย ) or TONG LU-ONG ( ท้องล่วง ).... rather. :giggle:

And if you say to a Thai.... Dong Sia (ดองเสีย).... it could be taken to mean.... to ferment something....

for what it is worth.... the only difference is the initial sound of T and D;

Tong means stomach and Dong means to ferment.... that's all folks.... :yohan:

Exactly! When will these guys understand that TIT is not the center of the universe as they learned in school. Nothing between Hat Yai and Chiang Mai is on the agenda of any developed country for all the reason you mentioned!

Exactly! When will these guys understand that TIT is not the center of the universe as they learned in school. Nothing between Hat Yai and Chiang Mai is on the agenda of any developed country for all the reason you mentioned!

Tokay user_popup.png

• av-60288.jpg
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• user_add.png
  • email_open.png

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 10:27

I don't see any reason why a civilized country would listen to a xenophobic country who is incapable of having peaceful elections, is constantly violating human rights, is listed as one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and is listed as one of the most censored countries in the world.

Thailand doesn't have anything positive to share with the world. There is a lot of growing up to do before they are to listened to and taken seriously.

-------------------------------------

Exactly! When will these guys understand that TIT is not the center of the universe...

My exact question to you all is also....

Exactly! When will these guys understand that TIT is not the center of the universe....but Thailand does welcome you and the like of you.... ;)

however, no one in Thailand forces you or the like of you to stay under her grace any longer than you wish to remain in Thailand....

If you can no longer find joy, pleasure, satisfaction, fulfillment and/or other profitable venues in whatever shape and form within the territorial of Thailand....

oh my dear.... why suffer any longer.... exercise your free will and freedom of choice.... by all means....

On the other hand, should you for whatever personal reason opt to remain in Thailand, it won't bother any one of us or others one bit.... either....

However, perhaps, for your own dignity and health in the long run.... you ought to lighten up some.... just enjoy what she has to offer and

stop bitching and bemoaning like little spoiled brats.... :unsure: Lighten up some.... and get a grip on life.... :coffee1:

Why would anybody listen? I live in the region and even I have no interest in the things Thailand says.

Precisely. When I started reading this article the story of "the boy who cried Wolf" came to mind. Why would anyone listen to anything Thai knowing there is little if any Truth in any/all/most statements. Thai's love to talk talk talk talk, but where's the ACTION?????? So much BS who wants to listen to any of it. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But 'most' of those countries, outside Singapore, have a very much lower 'foreigner/farang/expat' population do they? Well, up to the present date anyway.

Not exactly apples for apples is it?

If ever Thailand is all inclusive of what you just described, my question to you and the rest of the group, who are also of the same opinion....

why on earth do you even bother to come to Thailand for whatever reason at all....

there surely are better countries around the globe.... to holiday, visit, invest in and settle.... aren't there?

The first place and the first person that ought to change is closer to home, don't you think?

Any country around the whole wide world you go to.... you choose to see what you want to see....

You yourself choose what you want to do, where to visit, whom to interact with and what venues attract your attention....

Thailand is not perfect and as a matter of fact.... far from perfect.... but then which country is perfect....

The degree of perfectness is what most people consider.... whether or not to spend their time, money and lives in that particular country....

There must be thousand others very much like your good self, who are displeased, dissatisfied and disgusted with some aspects of Thailand....

But then there are even more farang who choose to come to Thailand to visit, invest or settle ....

enjoying and focusing on what other advantageous she has to offer every visitor and the rest of the world....

I enjoy being in Thailand very much in spite of.... and despite of.... all her imperfectness which many times also drive me up the creek as well.... B)

There's always one isn't there.

Bit late when you've built a house you cannot sell (ridiculous exchange rate, albeit pre-existing ownership laws, albeit reinforced by the illegal coup - locking the stable door after the Taksin horse has bolted ...), and have raised a Thai family here. Well? What would you do smart arse?

There's always one isn't there.

Bit late when you've built a house you cannot sell (ridiculous exchange rate, albeit pre-existing ownership laws, albeit reinforced by the illegal coup - locking the stable door after the Taksin horse has bolted ...), and have raised a Thai family here. Well? What would you do smart arse?

Just ask your good self, what is foremost important in your life, both now and in the future?

Then proceed accordingly.

You have already built up a sizable real property but you were dissatisfied with the current property laws prohibiting 100% foreign ownership and others....

More importantly, on a personal level, you have also raised a lovely and adorable family, I surely hope so.

Have you become so disenchanted about many things in Thailand that you are willing to walk away just like that? Probably not.

Would you be willing to sell your real property at cost or at a loss? If you are desperate enough or angry enough, you probably would, right?

How about your family members, how important are they to you at this point in time?

If they are still important enough to you, then perhaps, you ought not sell or give away your real property either, right?

However, if you think at this point in time in your life, you are better off without them hanging around....

by all means then.... go and liquidate all you got into cash and divide up according to your conscience how much each family members should be endowed with....

or just liquidate and disappear like many do, when they are facing with seemingly unsurmountable anthills....

So what do you have to say now for yourself? I won't call you a smart arse because that would be quite impolite in my book. ;)

Anyway, it is definitely not that difficult now for you to decide, is it?

The ultimate choice is yours....

Sincerely hope that you will leave enough for your family members to live a comfortable life style as they have been accustomed to.... Cheers

As a side note.... my friend, Buddie, provides a house, a new Ford and 50,000 THB per month for his extended family in Thailand, so they could lead a reasonable life style for a family of three, during his frequent absence.

Would you do the same or better for your own family members who have been with you for some years? I surely hope so. :clap2:

Edited by vont

Thailand is going through the exact same process that every other country in the world has gone through in making the transition from monarchy to industrial powerhouse. Just because the countries in the west did it a hundred years ago doesn't change the fact that it is the same process and yes, it looks messy but I'm certain they will get there.

I see rapid change happening everywhere. I hope that Abhisit gets elected and I hope that the red shirts keep up the pressure to give voice to the folks being left behind. It's going to take intelligent leadership to pull Thailand through this period of change.

I could care less about double pricing or xenophobia. I want to see Thailand take it's rightful place on the world stage and take care of all it's people in the process.

Yes we can!

Of course other countries listen to Thailand, but only where it impacts their own interests. For example, if Thailand said it was leasing Sattahip Port to the Chinese Navy, I think the world would take notice fairly quickly.

As for Thailand's internal processes, outsiders want only one thing -- stability. They don't care who is in charge as long as industrial processing goes on and logistics are not hampered.

It's hard to think of any other subjects where Thailand's opinion carries the slightest weight.

An inflammatory post has been removed. It is perfectly acceptable to report on events and give opinions, it is not acceptable to post in an inflammatory manner.

Admire your speedy action.

Just before I could complete my last sentence and clicked on the Add Reply button,

the screen flashed and I was informed that I could not respond to the post.

You are a shade faster, I submit.

An inflammatory post has been removed. It is perfectly acceptable to report on events and give opinions, it is not acceptable to post in an inflammatory manner.

Admire your speedy action.

Just before I could complete my last sentence and clicked on the Add Reply button,

the screen flashed and I was informed that I could not respond to the post.

You are a shade faster, I submit.

I thought it was pretty much on cue, but obviously could be toned down a bit.