Usb Dongle / Aircard

rishi

Do any of these 3G dongles work with any wifi only Android tablets?

Nope - Android tablets that have a USB port do not support Air dongles. And no plans for them to do so.

You can of course, get an android tablet that incorporates a 3G sim card. Or else buy a MIFI router that will allow the tablet to connect via the wifi of the portable MIFI router.

• 1 month later...

some excellent advice here, my problem is I need a USB Dongle with an external antenna connection, the only one ive so far found is this..

Sierra Wireless Aircard USB 308

priced at 2,400 Baht ( including an antenna )

123.png

1234.png

12345.png

Info Link ........

I was wondering if any one had used this model, and if the 3G frequencies were Ok for Thailand .

Nope - Android tablets that have a USB port do not support Air dongles. And no plans for them to do so.

You can of course, get an android tablet that incorporates a 3G sim card. Or else buy a MIFI router that will allow the tablet to connect via the wifi of the portable MIFI router.

You could also use an Android smartphone as a Mobile AP, which effectively turns the phone into a 5-port WiFi router, allowing WiFi devices to access and share the smartphone's 3G WAN connection. No need to buy a 3G-enabled tablet if you already have an Android smartphone, IMO.

some excellent advice here, my problem is I need a USB Dongle with an external antenna connection, the only one ive so far found is this..

123.png

1234.png

12345.png

Info Link ........

I was wondering if any one had used this model, and if the 3G frequencies were Ok for Thailand .

Will work with TRUE 3G/DTAC 3G & TOT 3G(together with it's MVNOs).

Some examples for 3G sticks which will operate on all 3g frequencies used in Thailand.

But I have no idea about availability of these sticks in Thailand.

Huawei HSPA+ USB-Stick E182E

GSM frequency bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900

UMTS frequency bands: E182e: 850, 900, 1900, 2100

E1823: 850, 1700, 1900, 2100

E1820: 2100

HSDPA: 21 MBit/s (HSPA+)

HSUPA: 5.76 MBit/s

EDGE: 236,8 KBit/s

GPRS: 57,6 KBit//s

or e.g.:

ZTE MF636

Device Specifications

>HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz

>GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

>HSDPA DL 7.2Mbps HSUPA UL 2Mbps

>UMTS DL/UL 384Kbps

>USB 2.0 Interface

Huawei E398

LTE (4G) auf 900/2100/2600MHz (1. Version, Modellnummer E398u-18)

LTE (4G) auf 800/1800/2600 MHz (2. Version, Modellnummer E398u-15 oder K5005)

LTE nach Kategorie 3, d.h. maximal 100Mbit/s im Download und 50Mbit/s im Upload

UMTS (3G) auf 900/2100 MHz

DC-HSPA+ im UMTS Netz mit bis zu 42Mbit/s im Download und bis zu 11Mbit/s im Upload

UMTS samt HSPA+, HSDPA, HSUPA

GSM samt EDGE und GPRS auf 900/1800/1900 MHz

MicroSD Slot bis 32GB

1 Anschluss für externe Antenne (E398u-18)

2 Anschlüsse für externe Antenne (Speedstick LTE E398u-15, K5005)

123.png

1234.png

12345.png

Info Link ........

Will work with TRUE 3G/DTAC 3G & TOT 3G(together with it's MVNOs).

Thanks for your reply , It does look good option for 3G , and for me the external antenna is a big deal. Ive not been able to find any thing similar, so it looks like I will go for this .

TL :jap:

Thanks for your reply , It does look good option for 3G , and for me the external antenna is a big deal. Ive not been able to find any thing similar, so it looks like I will go for this .

Are you switching from CAT CDMA to Truemove H? If so, can you share any details/experiences?

Are you switching from CAT CDMA to Truemove H? If so, can you share any details/experiences?

Not really knowing how things will turn out with CAT CDMA , I'm looking at trying other options , hence the looking for a 3G USB Dongle with external antenna connection, as soon as ive got it up and running I will post my thoughts .

• 1 month later...

I am looking into mobile internet for my next visit to Thailand and will be upcountry for a month or so. In Aus I see that some of the Dongles have a socket in the end for attaching a variety of different size aerials. Do 12 call Dongles have these sockets and if so what rating of aerial would I need ? the aerials that I have seen vary in length upto a metre long. I would be grateful for any advice in this connection. In the area that I intend spending most of my time DTAC does not ome through very well on my Nokia N95 12 Call comes through OK.

I bought one of them D-Link DMW-156 aircards that had an i-kool 3G sim card attached as a freebie but we were warned by a shop assistant that they don't work in the area where we live...there are a lot of ISPs available for these aircards...how do I find out who delivers the best service in my area (ie., connection and speed) without a tedious 'process of elimination'? (AIS, DTAC, ToT, CAT, etc)

thanks in advance...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Actually many of the Chinese Android tablets support 3g dongles its usually Huwai.

Kogans tablet does. I would imagine the Imobile note would.

I bought one of them D-Link DMW-156 aircards that had an i-kool 3G sim card attached as a freebie but we were warned by a shop assistant that they don't work in the area where we live...there are a lot of ISPs available for these aircards...how do I find out who delivers the best service in my area (ie., connection and speed) without a tedious 'process of elimination'? (AIS, DTAC, ToT, CAT, etc)

thanks in advance...

I got connected to the local AIS 2G/EDGE network with my laptop and aircard and that mother is sloooow compared to the ToT land telephone line ADSL on the cheapest package...folks with them gadget smartphones must be desperate to have internet connectivity that they can carry around with them...and if they ain't got the internet and the related 'applications' what's the point of owning one?

I must say that I had an aircard arrangement inna remote area in the provinces in Vietnam (Vinaphone) with my same laptop and it was much faster with high availabililty...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

.how do I find out who delivers the best service in my area (ie., connection and speed) without a tedious 'process of elimination'? (AIS, DTAC, ToT, CAT, etc)

thanks in advance...

Where do you live, or plan to use 3G services?

Did you try the lKool SIM?

.how do I find out who delivers the best service in my area (ie., connection and speed) without a tedious 'process of elimination'? (AIS, DTAC, ToT, CAT, etc)

thanks in advance...

Where do you live, or plan to use 3G services?

Did you try the lKool SIM?

nah, I didn't try the ikool sim card but my step daughter did using the D-Link aircard and she said 'mai dai'...it looks to be for 3G service and there ain't none in these parts...I thought that these cards auto revert to EDGE if 3G isn't available?

we're in the Songphinong district in southern Suphanburi near Bang Li...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Maybe talk with neighbors to see which 2G (GSM data: GPRS/EDGE) give the best service. In theory AIS/One-2-Call say they have EDGE+ (384 Kbps) so that may be best?

Also, Truemove H does appear to have 3G coverage in your area but you should check the coverage maps yourself. The operate on 850 Mhz, which your aircard supports. They are post-paid only at present but do offer some data-only packages which might suit your needs?

In general it is best if you can provide as much detail about your requirements, applications, budget, location and equipment as this will yield the best recommendations.

"Also, Truemove H does appear to have 3G coverage in your area but you should check the coverage maps yourself."

yeah...that's the big question!... where are the coverage maps?

anyway, lomatopo thanks for your observation...we went down with the step daughter to the shop that sells AIS net cards and hoped for the best...slow as molasses...

been thinking about about upgrading the ADSL ToT monthly package; we still have the same as we had, 500 something-or-other bytes, that we had since ADSL monthly packages were available about 8 years ago...

I might throw some money at the step daughter and have her test the other net cards available...she looks at me with an 18 y.o. look that occasionally sez: 'ye know, tutsi...yer not such a bad guy after all...'<_<

maybe if I upgraded to the 2Mb ToT phone line ADSL monthly package...but I'm not around most of the time and the wife has a probllem with 'unnecessary expenses'...and her and her daughter fight too much as it is...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

The rise of MiFi means aircard as a product category is on the way out. The price of Huawei MiFi fitted with a 3G sim, is just under Baht4,000 and 4-5 devices, including computer notebooks, tablets can access Wi-Fi at the same time -- compared with one aircard for one notebook.

I've been looking at swapping out CAT CDMA as my WAN backup, and replacing with AIS 3G dongle.

So far the Huawei E182e looks like a good option. The Vodafone "MegaModem" K4505 (repurposed E182e) is priced at 2499 Baht here: http://www.aircardok.com/product_827378.827380_th. It's quad band and supports HSPA+ up to 28Mbps so should be future-proof here in LOS for sometime.

There's a newer model K4605 available now which is supposed to iron out some issues, but I don't see it for sale here.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using AIS aircard 3.6M and getting only 30kbps max download in the SaKaeo area could anyone give me any advice on what I could look to use to get a better download from 50kbps upwards.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dezy

Assume you mean 30 KBps?

What does it say in the bottom left corner of the dongle software?

If it says wcdma when idle (HSDPA when connected) you should get better speeds.

If it indicates Edge, then this is the best you'll get with AIS as it means you're outside 3G coverage.

Although it' also possible that when wcdma shows, your slow speed results of you having only a regular Edge data package, with which AIS limits you to 384 kbps (they call it Edge +).

Taking a proper package and you can get 1 mbps (around 90 kBps) with the 30 hour a month 3G package, or the full speed when taking one of the volume based packages....

Assume you mean 30 KBps?

If it indicates Edge, then this is the best you'll get with AIS as it means you're outside 3G coverage.

Although it' also possible that when wcdma shows, your slow speed results of you having only a regular Edge data package, with which AIS limits you to 384 kbps (they call it Edge +).

Taking a proper package and you can get 1 mbps (around 90 kBps) with the 30 hour a month 3G package, or the full speed when taking one of the volume based packages....

Hi monty thanks for the reply its much appreciated I will check what it says on the dongle when I get home in 2 weeks and take it from there with your advice. I will also try the volume base package this did cross my mind last time I was at home as I use the 30 hour package for the month but will try the volume next time home and see if this helps with the speed.

Thanks again

Derek

Assume you mean 30 KBps?

The full speed isnt much better than the 1 mbps. Im currently getting 1.2 mbps in chiang mai.

• 4 months later...