Usb Dongle / Aircard

rishi

Hi,

So, after a few years of considerations I've now come to the point where I find the time ripe for acquiring some sort of mobile internet device. I assume I'm right that an Aircard - or whatever these USB-dongles you equip with a SIM-card from 7-11 may be called - is the better choise for my needs and preferences? I live in Bangkok where I already have what I need of im-mobile Internet and will only occasionally be away from this. I don't want any sort of fancy combo-thing - smartphone, router, whatever - just a simple device to plug into my netbook and connect to the Internet for basic email-checking and minimal browsing.

I figure the optimal would be a device that can handle the latest version of 3G when in coverage area, but nevertheless is "backward compatible" with 2G/GSM/EDGE or whatever things are called upcountry. Okay, there already is too much info for my digestive system regarding Net SIM packages etc, on this board - so please no more info about the "software" part. What I'd appreciate is guidance with respect to the hardware.

As indicated I am a novice on this matter, so am very open minded to any suggestion. However, I've got a flyer from Panthip Plaza presenting a couple of D-Link 3G Aircards, that I am particularly interested in learning more about: They are named DWM-152 respectively DWM-156. Both claim to support 3G 2100Mhz and both claim to support all of TOT 3G, True, DTAC, AIS. The flyer calls DWM-152 for HSDPA adapter while the DWM-156 is called a HSUPA adapter. So what's the difference between the two adapter types, and will either of them be of any use in areas without 3G coverage? .... Any other suggestions for choise of device?

The DWM-156 is a great choice; I've used this in several solutions. It will work with both True 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT (2100 Mhz). TOT has resellers like iKool, iMobbile, IEC, 365, MoJo. It will support up to 7.2 Mbps down and 5.6 Mbps up. True can support these higher data rates, but may not on every base station. The DWM-152 supports 2100 Mhz 3G only, so just TOT/Resellers, and is limited to 3.6 Mbps/384 Kbps. Both support quad- (every band you need) band GSM data, AKA 2G/GPRS/EDGE.

The DWM-156 is the clear choice, IME.

http://global.dlink.com.sg/site_pdtpdfs/DWM-152/DWM-152_ds.pdf

http://global.dlink.com.sg/site_pdtpdfs/DWM-156/DWM-156_ds.pdf

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for excellent advice - all I need to know. Shopping made simple. I have good experience with other D-Link products and since I already know where to get the DMW-156 for a price I don't feel any urge to spend time and effort on researching further - my choice is made.

May I ask what the price shown in the flyer is for the DWM-156? Any specific shop?

The last time I bought one of these was ~ 3 months ago; it was 1,700. I may buy a few more to have on hand.

Thanks.

Good price. I feel kind of silly for buying the True dongle, which only supports 850, 2100 3G. I wanted to purchase the all in one 3g usb device, but the True store was right there inside and outside Siam Paragon. To run to pantip and back + all the time looking would have eaten through 2-300 baht quickly. It would have only been worth it if the other 3g frequency was a heavy competitor with truemove 3g.

May I ask what the price shown in the flyer is for the DWM-156? Any specific shop?

The last time I bought one of these was ~ 3 months ago; it was 1,700. I may buy a few more to have on hand.

Thanks.

No price in the flyer. I saw it at a dedicated D-Link stand in the "main hall" on the ground floor at Panthip Plaza. Don't remember the exact price tag neither, just that it followed the general trend of beeing in the range of 14xx-15xx Baht - so apparently prices are still going down a bit.

Thanks.

Good price. I feel kind of silly for buying the True dongle, which only supports 850, 2100 3G. I wanted to purchase the all in one 3g usb device, but the True store was right there inside and outside Siam Paragon. To run to pantip and back + all the time looking would have eaten through 2-300 baht quickly. It would have only been worth it if the other 3g frequency was a heavy competitor with truemove 3g.

No need to feel silly. The items have similar specification. Take a look for yourself. Compare the D-LINK with the Huawei E1803. The main difference is that the D-LINK is cheaper. Neither of them support AIS 3G.

It shows the difference between the rollout of mobile telephones and 3G modems.

The Huawei E1803 is a two year old modem. The D-LINK at least a year old.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

DWM-156 3.75G HSUPA USB ADAPTER

I purchased the DWM-156 at ZoneLink in Fortune IT Mall, for 1,650 baht. It came with an iMobile 3GX 3G SIM package taped to it. This SIM can be activated anytime before June 30, is good for 45 days and has 1.0 GB credit. A nice touch.

Like all D-Link products, this air-card has a great mix of features at a reasonable price. It supports: GSM BAND 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) and UMTS/HSDPA BAND 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz at data rates up to: ƒ Dl: 7.2 Mbps (HSDPa); ƒ ul: 5.76 Mbps (HSuPa)It also supports micro-SD card, up to 8 GB (slot is on the side); you have to purchase that separately.

This device is amazingly simple to install and use. Plug it into your computer, it installs software, and presents a user interface. Even more amazing is that it is ‘zero configuration’. I tried True, DTAC, One-2-Call and iMobile SIMs. Each time the device or SW recognized the SIM, I hit Connect and was connected. No messy configuration, or APN s, to mess up.

There are a ton of features in the UI, and you can originate SMSes.

I would rate this device 10/10, and highly recommend it as a 3G air-card option for use in Thailand.

FWIW, in my home both True and iMobile (TOT) have HSPA turned on. As I have observed with my Android Smartphone, it seems like True idles even on HSPA, while TOT idles on 3G/WCDMA, then ramps up to HSPA when data is transmitted/received.

I’ve purchased three of these devices previously for friends, colleagues, visitors but never really played with one. Everyone has given this device high marks.

I will try to use it in the U.S. on an upcoming trip with my T-Mobile pre-paid SIM, and a $1.49/day 2G data package.

Links:

ftp://ftp.dlink.se/Datasheets/DWM-156.pdf

ftp://ftp.dlink.it/Diagrams/Misc/DWM-156_man_revA_1-00_all_en_20090810.pdf

http://files.dlink.com.au/Products/DWM-156/Manuals/DWM-156_A3_Manual_v3.00(WW).pdf

ftp://ftp.dlink.fr/DWM/DWM-156/QIG/DWM-156_A1_QIG_v1.00.pdf

post-9615-0-57652600-1306740822_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-35328600-1306740836_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-50368500-1306740847_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Got mine today in a J.I.B. shop in Panthip Plaza for 1590 Baht. It came along with an AIS 1-2-Call netsim (GPRS/EDGE only) valued 139 Baht. I can add to the above that the card also works fine under Linux (Kubuntu) although the software had to be manually copied from the device and installed via a 2-3 step procedure.

Bought a wee netbook the other day in Chiang Mai ...Sammi ..@ 7600 Bt and wiffee got some time using her Bluetooth Mobile with Dtac which seems to work quite well about 200Bt for summit like 60 hours and OK ...but keep the suggestions coming in on Aircards please.

Been using my Kindle a lot and the 3G also seems to be getting more widespread.

Out in the boonies of Mae-On still just touched on with Edge but most of CM appears now to be on the 3G ...as is our place in Samut Prac.

Be good if Amazons free Whispernet was available/ to do a deal....etc....one day maybe..

Did I mention that we now have an ATM in the village....no more 50 mile round trips to San K Peng for beer money...wonders will never etc.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The DWM-156 is a great choice; I've used this in several solutions. It will work with both True 3G (850 Mhz) or TOT (2100 Mhz). TOT has resellers like iKool, iMobbile, IEC, 365, MoJo. It will support up to 7.2 Mbps down and 5.6 Mbps up. True can support these higher data rates, but may not on every base station. The DWM-152 supports 2100 Mhz 3G only, so just TOT/Resellers, and is limited to 3.6 Mbps/384 Kbps. Both support quad- (every band you need) band GSM data, AKA 2G/GPRS/EDGE.

The DWM-156 is the clear choice, IME.

http://global.dlink..../DWM-152_ds.pdf

http://global.dlink..../DWM-156_ds.pdf

http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

Im wondering if the d-link dwm-156 really supports 2100mhz.

im looking at the box and it says 850,900,1800,1900 mhz (GSM,GPRS,EDGE)

no mention of 2100 mhz

Im wondering if the d-link dwm-156 really supports 2100mhz.

im looking at the box and it says 850,900,1800,1900 mhz (GSM,GPRS,EDGE)

no mention of 2100 mhz

It supports 850/900/1800/1900 for GSM Data (2G:GPRS/EDGE) and 850/1900/2100 for 3G.

I agree, I can't see the 3G/UMTS bands anywhere on the box, but there are many stick-on labels on mine which might be covering it up.

You cna follow my links to see the specs.

I used the DWM-156 with iMobile 3GX/TOT on 2100 Mhz. You can see the screenshot I posted? It works.

What is your issue or concern?

Edited by lomatopo

just wondering if it was really 2100 mhz capable since its not written on the box anywhere.

i tried to activate the imobile sim 3gx that came with it, but it doesn't seem to want to activate. The true sim im using required that i call a number, but there doesnt appear to be any activation process for the imobile other than installing the card, unless im missing something.

The SIM needs to be activated. The instructions, in Thai, are a bit confusing... I see *888*16 digist PIN#, but cannot see a 16 digit PIN anywhere, or *8888 to get into an IVR system (probably in Thai) or 02 576 5599. One of my iMobile SIMs was activated, at an iMobile shop, by dialing that last number, 02 576 5599 (I saved it from my calling record).

Maybe find a Thai person to help? Or go to an iMobile shop? Obviously you need to install the SIM in a phone to activate it.

Edited by lomatopo

The freaking call center is impossible to get through to, i give up.

It appears the SIM is dead out of the package, it cannot even pick up a signal.

I dont know what frequency its suppose to work on, but my phone picks up wcma 2100mhz as well if that is the operating frequency.

I dont know what frequency its suppose to work on, but my phone picks up wcma 2100mhz as well if that is the operating frequency.

If bundled with the modem, it is is entirely feasible that the SIM may have expired. If you activate a iKool Data SIM today you will get double the allowance. 99 baht Data SIM 1GB, 199 baht Data SIM 2GB.

My free iMobile 3GX SIM, which came with the DWM-156, had to be activated by June 30. Maybe yours had to be activated by May 31? Did you notice the activation date by chance? I did see one forum entry that said you had to install the SIM in a phone and make one call to activate it? (The *888/*8888 is for topping up.) I think TOT uses 900 Mhz for GSM. Or can you go to an iMobile shop?

today i switched the network selection on my dlink dwm 156 to GSM 'only' mode and now it wont let me switch back to umts.

any ideas?

edit : nevermind, i had to disconnect from the network first, got it now.

Edited by KRS1

I guess you can activate the iMobile 3GS 3G SIM by placing it in a 3G 2100 Mhz capable phone, make sure you have a 3G signal then enter *153# DIAL, that takes you into the activation IVR system, or so I've been assured.

I guess you can activate the iMobile 3GS 3G SIM by placing it in a 3G 2100 Mhz capable phone, make sure you have a 3G signal then enter *153# DIAL, that takes you into the activation IVR system, or so I've been assured.

I did another DWM-156 install for a visiting colleague. It came with an iMobile 3GX SIM, which must be activated by June 30, 2011, has 1 GB of free data for 45 days. To activate this SIM I put it in a smartphone, turned it on and received an SMS in 60 seconds saying the SIM was activated. Maybe you can do this just using the air-card, I didn't try. Note that these free SIMs are data only. If you want to make voice calls you need to add value to them.

Do any of these 3G dongles work with any wifi only Android tablets?

No. They all install software, and have these types of requirements:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Windows 2000/XP/ViSta or Mac oS X 10.4.0+

Pentium 500MHz or greater

128Mb RaM or greater

50Mb available disk space

internet explorer v6.0+ / Firefox v1.5+

A 2G/3G radio does require a fair amount of juice, I'm not sure if a tablet's USB, for those that have one, have enough power to drive the radio? Tablets will have integrated 2G/3G soon. Maybe at some point there will be USB modems for Android Tablets? For now, maybe tether (Mobile AP) an Android phone, and use the WiFi for the tablet?

Thanks for that detailed response.

I'm stuck with an iPhone and pretty sure that won't tether with any Android tablets, maybe time to drop it down the toilet and tell my Mrs that I have to buy a different phone!

Thanks for that detailed response.

I'm stuck with an iPhone and pretty sure that won't tether with any Android tablets, maybe time to drop it down the toilet and tell my Mrs that I have to buy a different phone!

Sure it would, maybe with the latest iOS? Use the iPhone for 3G, then create a WiFi hotspot for the Android tablet (which has WiFi).

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has convinced me to buy a DWM-156 for an upcoming world trip that will span a great length of time. I don't have any experience with prepaid data SIM cards, though, and I have some questions.

--How easy is it to find prepaid data SIM cards? Where are they found? Convenience stores? Mobile phone stores?

--How much does the data cost? I'm thinking we'd need about 1GB per month or so.

--Will I need a new SIM card for each country we go to?

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm stoked!

This thread has convinced me to buy a DWM-156 for an upcoming world trip that will span a great length of time. I don't have any experience with prepaid data SIM cards, though, and I have some questions.

--How easy is it to find prepaid data SIM cards? Where are they found? Convenience stores? Mobile phone stores?

--How much does the data cost? I'm thinking we'd need about 1GB per month or so.

--Will I need a new SIM card for each country we go to?

Thanks in advance for the help! I'm stoked!

This would vary by country. Can you share any details? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1093467-pre-paid-data-sim-cards-consolidated-thread.html

In Thailand you can find SIMs anywhere, everywhere.

For 1 GB/month the cost here in Thailand might be 800 baht or less.

Yes, you will need a new SIM in each country.