"Gifts" To My Lady'S Family.

CaptainFantastic I think you hit the nail on the head by saying 'trying for too long to blend in with the Thai "culture" '. Why you have to blend in is beyond me. Just be yourself. Why change just because you visit a different country ? A lot of expats try to 'blend in' and in doing so make themselves look complete prats to the Thais, especially when it come to the 'Wai'. Hopefully Captain, you'll get by without too much trouble as long as you just be yourself and not someone trying to blend in.

Edited by sinbin

CaptainFantastic I think you hit the nail on the head by saying 'trying for too long to blend in with the Thai "culture" '. Why you have to blend in is beyond me. Just be yourself. Why change just because you visit a different country ? A lot of expats try to 'blend in' and in doing so make themselves look complete prats to the Thais, especially when it come to the 'Wai'. Hopefully Captain, you'll get by without too much trouble as long as you just be yourself and not someone trying to blend in.

Cheers.

I've taken all the advice on board and intend now acting upon it.

What is it Ricky Gervais said of David Brent (his "The Office" character)?......... Oh yeah:

"People empathise with him because, in common with many of us, he mistook being popular with being respected". A bit of a philosopher, is our Mr Gervais.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

And, just to add, I never wai. :jap:

(ooops :ermm:).

:lol:

CaptainFantastic I think you hit the nail on the head by saying 'trying for too long to blend in with the Thai "culture" '. Why you have to blend in is beyond me. Just be yourself. Why change just because you visit a different country ?

Absolutely.

I just gave a Thai a friendly knuckle shuffle across the top of his head while playing around.

Should have seen him smile, beaming he was. They really do love us, and our ways here.

thinking a little about this thread and my earlier post . . . I think the best gift (as in most appreciated, not most expensive) we have given was a photo album for my partner's mother (father died when she was young).

One day we went through the family collection of old pics, varying sizes and conditions, some in plastic sleeves, some glued into exercise books, lots of old black and white ones from when the father was alive, some in his army uniform etc, grandparents too, we took them to a photo store to have them scanned and reprinted in 6x4 size, plus a selection of all the photos I'd taken around the farm property, houses, grandchildren, neighbours etc.

Cost 5 baht per print, plus some time to organise.

In terms of something that will be valued, looked after and appreciated in years to come I believe it was a pretty good idea.

When there was a family wedding in January it was put out for all the distant relatives to look through. Next step is to get all the people in the photos identified, and places/dates added as near as possible.

Edited by genghis61